Pending Show PP depletion under pressure properly in ADV

The title speaks for itself there isn't much I can add. When spectating ADV the only way to know how much pp a pokemon, that has attacked into an opposing pokemon with pressure, has is to scroll through the battle log and count. This is also relevant when DCing; I was playing on the ladder and disconnected, when I reconnected the pp of the opposing pokemon showed up incorrectly. No information is wrongfully revealed by making this change because the two people in the game do properly see the PP of each move.

As far as I am aware, there is no reason for this to not be implemented, unless there is some coding issue.

Karthik

time heals all
is a Programmeris a Battle Simulator Moderator
The problem here is that Pressure doesn't reveal itself in Gen 3 like it does in later generations. If it did reveal itself the current code for pressure would already work. The argument can be made that the client should assume that a pokemon has pressure if it is the only possible ability, but I personally believe that this hardcode shouldn't exist because it doesn't account for things like custom game where you can use other abilities.

The problem here is that Pressure doesn't reveal itself in Gen 3 like it does in later generations. If it did reveal itself the current code for pressure would already work. The argument can be made that the client should assume that a pokemon has pressure if it is the only possible ability, but I personally believe that this hardcode shouldn't exist because it doesn't account for things like custom game where you can use other abilities.
Okay, so I assume it's a coding complication which is understandable, however you mentioned "making the client assume a pokemon has pressure if it's the only possible ability" as an option (that isn't preferable). Could that be done for specific formats (ADV Ubers, Ou, Uu, and any other ADV format with a proper banlist). That would remove the issue present in formats such as Custom Game.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I personally am in favor of assuming Pressure by default.

As Karthik correctly said, because Pressure isn't actually announced in ADV formats, it would be extremely difficult to account for edge cases like Custom Game, Skill Swap, Role Play, Transform, or whatever other situations I'm not thinking of. However, we already indicate that Pressure's display may be inaccurate; it's just a matter of whether or not we want to default to assuming non-Pressure or assuming Pressure. So if we accept these edge cases will be buggy, we can meet the common needs of the vast majority of ADV games. I'm also in agreement with Karthik that hardcoding the "only Pressure Pokemon" is awkward, but don't forget we've made actual mechanics concessions to ADV in the past [example 1] [example 2]. I see this as acceptable to allow, since it's not changing how the Ability functions (i.e. we're not changing Pressure to actually announce itself in ADV). We'd then just modify the disclaimer message from "more" to "less":

(Pressure is not visible in Gen 3, so in certain situations, less PP may have been lost than shown here.)

So we'd hardcode Absol, Articuno, Deoxys, Dusclops, Entei, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Mewtwo, Moltres, Raikou, Suicune, and Zapdos as always having Pressure in ADV only. Aerodactyl will continue to have the same assumption of no Pressure when viewed by spectators.

This is also relevant when DCing; I was playing on the ladder and disconnected, when I reconnected the pp of the opposing pokemon showed up incorrectly.
Assuming I understand this correctly, this would just be a straight-up bug; you should always know your own current PP at all times. I can't reproduce this though.
1650060888645.png

As Karthik correctly said, because Pressure isn't actually announced in ADV formats, it would be extremely difficult to account for edge cases like Custom Game, Skill Swap, Role Play, Transform, or whatever other situations I'm not thinking of. However, we already indicate that Pressure's display may be inaccurate; it's just a matter of whether or not we want to default to assuming non-Pressure or assuming Pressure.
I'd imagine 95-99% of ADV games on PS/Smogtours are official smogon tiers, defaulting to mons with only pressure showing pp depleted properly to the spectator with a little message would benefit the PS and smogon community more with the exception being the extremely rare case where something like gen 3 balanced hackmons or some casual game with illegal movesets or w/e is played.

I'm also in agreement with Karthik that hardcoding the "only Pressure Pokemon" is awkward, but don't forget we've made actual mechanics concessions to ADV in the past [example 1] [example 2]. I see this as acceptable to allow, since it's not changing how the Ability functions (i.e. we're not changing Pressure to actually announce itself in ADV). We'd then just modify the disclaimer message from "more" to "less":
Yeah, it doesn't change anything, it is just more convenient.

Assuming I understand this correctly, this would just be a straight-up bug; you should always know your own current PP at all times. I can't reproduce this though.
undefined
1650064927808.png

i meant after dcing it shows the OPPOSING pokemons pp like a spectator (maybe your own too when u hover over them but it doesnt magically give more pp or anything)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)