Should we ban Substitute in Pokémon Stadium 1 Overused and Ubers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, I wanted to know your thoughts about Substitute in Pokémon Stadium 1. As you may know, in Pokémon Stadium 1, Substitute blocks all moves that induce conditions (Confusion, Leech Seeds, Paralysis, Regular Poison, Bad Poison and Sleep) as well as moves that reduce the status of the pokémon (Attack, Defense and Speed). Substitute also blocks Freeze, Burns, Special drops and Critical Hits indirectly because the attacks that cause those effects hit the plush doll and not the user, this makes harder for pokémon like Alakazam to pressure Chansey or to inflict the Freeze status which would make battles faster.

Substitute's Buff increased the viability of pokémon that were already good in Cartridge like Alakazam, Chansey and Tauros; the buff also made the format slower and more defensive compared to Cartridge. Alakazam usually drops Seismic Toss for Substitute which makes it harder to kill despite the loss of an attacking move, Exeggutor is a counter to Zam, but the battle is still slow and Eggy has a slight disadvantage because it gets Paralyzed and after some hits it is forced to Rest.

Chansey is another annoying pokémon, specially if it also has Reflect. Common sets include Susbtitute, Seismic Toss, Reflect and Soft Boiled (Thunder Wave is sometimes used instead of Reflect). Chansey dittos take ages because each needs two Seismic Tosses to break the other's Substitute and things get worse if one only has Special Attacks like Ice Beam, because it requires three attacks to destroy the plush doll (or two hits if one is critical). Snorlax is a common counter against Chansey; however, it needs Double Edge if it wants to One Hit KO Chansey's Substitutes if she has Reflect (Body Slam requires two hits to break the plushie, unless the first attack crits).

Substitute is so strong in Stadium that many pokemon (if not all) in both players' teams have recovery moves like Recover and Rest, which makes the battles long.

If Substitute were banned, I'm sure that the battles would be way faster and more offensive. In my opinion Substitute should be banned on Pokémon Stadium Overused, Ubers and the other formats like UU and NU.

I want to know what do you think. Should we ban Substitute, should we organize tournaments without it first, should we suspect test it or should we accept the fact that Stadium is simply different? Feel free to share your comments below, but please give solid arguments to back them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)