Shoddy battle not opening/uninstalling

Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask this, but the shoddy website didn't answer my question and the Forums link led here (how long has this forum been here?).

Anyways, my problem is that today shoddy battle just stopped working. It was fine last night around 3AM, but today, when I took my computer out of sleep mode, it started giving me the following error:

"Unable to launch application."

It gave a Details button, which when clicked provided the following under an Exception tab:

"CouldNotLoadArgumentException[ Could not load file/URL specified: C:\Users\owner\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\44\5b8a586c-7d0e8072]
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)"

There's also a Wrapped Exception tab which has the following:

"java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Users\owner\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\44\5b8a586c-7d0e8072 (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.jnl.LaunchDescFactory.buildDescriptor(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)"

I tried to uninstall it so I could reinstall, but for some reason I can't do that either. I get an "Unable to uninstall application" when I use Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel. I tried restarting the computer, but the same thing happened for both scenarios. I tried to see if I could delete the files manually, but there's nothing under Program Files for shoddy and I don't know what deleting the files in the location listed in the errors would do to my computer. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Try opening up the Java Control Panel and deleting the Temporary Internet Files. This will effectively uninstall Shoddy Battle, even if it isn't working in Add/Remove programs. Then try installing it again.

Try opening up the Java Control Panel and deleting the Temporary Internet Files. This will effectively uninstall Shoddy Battle, even if it isn't working in Add/Remove programs. Then try installing it again.
How do I find the Java Control Panel? I'm using Vista Home Premium, if that makes any difference.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Open up the Windows Control Panel, and I think there should be an option to set it into an "Advanced Mode" (I don't use Windows on my home computer, so this is by memory). Once you are in that mode, the Java Control Panel should be one of the options, and you can open it up.

[Edit: It might be called "Classic Mode", rather than "Advanced Mode".]

Open up the Windows Control Panel, and I think there should be an option to set it into an "Advanced Mode" (I don't use Windows on my home computer, so this is by memory). Once you are in that mode, the Java Control Panel should be one of the options, and you can open it up.

[Edit: It might be called "Classic Mode", rather than "Advanced Mode".]
Alright, I found it (and it is called Classic Mode, not Advanced), deleted the temporary files, redownloaded the installer from the website. Oddly enough, when it finished installing it opened up automatically and worked fine, but when I closed it and opened it again, it gave me a similar yet different error... I got a window that said "Requesting Java 1.4+" or something like that, along with another window that said "Unable to run the application." I tried checking my Java version, which was 1.6, but I decided to check for updates, found one, and even though I'm still 1.6, it works perfectly now... O_o

Well, thanks a bunch for all your help! Hopefully now that I know about the Java Control Panel I won't need to waste your time asking for any more help. :)

Sorry for the double posting, but now I'm having another problem. The Open/Edit Team and Save Team dialog boxes aren't working for me... On any of the screens. Welcome, chat, team builder (New Team works fine), it simply does not appear. I don't even get an error. I tried deleting and reinstalling shoddy as was explained to me before, but it didn't help. I've currently got Java 1.6 Update 13, which I updated to just a few minutes ago.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
This is a problem that some people have reported before, but unfortunately we don't know what causes it. The only thing I can recommend--and it's long shot--is to try installing an older version of java, like 1.4.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

I can't promise this will fix it, and honestly we don't know what causes this; we can't reproduce it ourselves so it is difficult to debug.

This is a problem that some people have reported before, but unfortunately we don't know what causes it. The only thing I can recommend--and it's long shot--is to try installing an older version of java, like 1.4.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

I can't promise this will fix it, and honestly we don't know what causes this; we can't reproduce it ourselves so it is difficult to debug.
That's unfortunate. Is there any other information I could give you, before I go and downgrade, that might help you in figuring things out?

Cathy

Banned deucer.
We just attempted a fix of the file dialogue issue for you to try. To make sure you get this attempted fix, uninstall the program and then reinstall it, as you did before. See if the dialogues work then.

Haha, figures RIGHT when I start the downgrade, that's when you reply... Guess I'll re-upgrade and try it out as soon as this finishes. ^^;

*EDIT*
Seems like what I installed didn't replace my 1.6 version of Java after all...

*EDIT2*
Alright, I uninstalled shoddy, then uninstalled the Java 1.4 thing I downloaded (since it seemed to be a separate thing... I might have downloaded the wrong thing >_> ), then reinstalled shoddy, and the Open and Save dialogs seem to be working now! Even better, they now remember the directory you last used, it seems. :) The only thing I'm having trouble with is that the new install doesn't seem to create a desktop icon or a Start Menu section, so I can't reopen shoddy without revisiting the website.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
There is an option to create a shortcut to the program in the Java Control Panel if one is not made automatically. Click "View" in the Temporary Internet Files section, then click on Shoddy Battle, then right click and select "Install Shortcuts".

Alright, thanks a bunch. Just one more thing I found. When you try to save a team over an existing one, you get TWO popups asking to overwrite. One seems like it's a default one created by Java itself, the other is the one that shoddy has always given in the past. Closing an unsaved team only returns the single popup message that shoddy has always used, though.

Ok, there's yet ANOTHER problem... The fix only seems to work when using the download file from the website. If I close shoddy and then open it using the desktop shortcut, I have the same Open/Save problems as before. :(

*EDIT*
Seems that the dual save-overwrite popup is fixed in the new download, though, at least when using the download file to open shoddy. Not sure about when using the desktop shortcut, though.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
That problem does not make any sense to me (as in I do not understand why it would occur). All I can recommend is to just deal with the inconvenience of accessing the web site each time. Alternatively, you can memorise the following command to execute with Start -> Run:

Code:
javaws http://shoddybattle.com/client/shoddybattle.php
This does the same thing as the web site link.

I've been having similar problems. I'm using XP, and I also get a popup saying "Unable to launch application". I'd appreciate some help and some simpler instructions (because I fail to understand computer fanciness).

Cathy

Banned deucer.
You are going to have to say what specifically you would like to be simpler, as well as providing some details.

I will probably recommend the same thing though: uninstall the program and then install it again.

That problem does not make any sense to me (as in I do not understand why it would occur). All I can recommend is to just deal with the inconvenience of accessing the web site each time. Alternatively, you can memorise the following command to execute with Start -> Run:

Code:
javaws http://shoddybattle.com/client/shoddybattle.php
This does the same thing as the web site link.
I just downloaded the actual file to my desktop instead of merely opening it through Firefox's download manager (as in, I did Save As instead of Open). It seems to work just fine like that, although I can't think of any reason why this would be happening either...

I've noticed that even when I delete shoddy from the Java Control Panel, when I install it again, it still has all of my settings. The Open/Save dialogs open up to the same directory I last used, my last-used team is still being loaded, etc... I've checked to make sure the program is gone by using the JCP's View section to make sure that Shoddy is completely gone (even from the Deleted Apps section), so the settings for shoddy must be saving to somewhere else as well... Could this be the reason why?

Malfunction

nice desu ne
I've been having some kind of issue. I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I don't think this deserves a whole thread.
Anyways, the problem is not with the application itself, nor the Smogon Server. Everytime I try accessing the CAP server, I get a 'Null' Error. I have been having this from like 2~3 months ago. It's also not an error in my system, since I tried logging into the server using more than one system, with the same error everytime. I'm not sure what's causing this, and I'm sure my settings are correct. I'm not sure if you guys can help me with this (I think I should PM a Moderator there or something, but figured I'll try here before), but any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Sorry for the double posting, but now I'm having another problem. The Open/Edit Team and Save Team dialog boxes aren't working for me... On any of the screens. Welcome, chat, team builder (New Team works fine), it simply does not appear. I don't even get an error.
Please do following: go to the Java Control Panel (Windows Control Panel -> Classic View -> Java) and select the Advanced Tab. Go to "Java Console" and choose the "Show console" option. Terms can differ slightly, as I only have a german system here.

After that, start Shoddy Battle again. At the same time the java console should popup too. Try to open/save teams then and watch if any errors are shown in the java console. If so post them here.

Ok, I have a problem too XD. It's done it to me before, but this time I can't seem to fix it myself. Somehow, shoddy just seems to malfunction on me. I'll try to open it up like I do any other day and I get the "unable to launch application" error message. This time I tried to open it and it went to the box that it does when you first downloading it, like it's "re-downloading". I uninstalled it, I used everything you told MagicMaster87 (using the java control panel). Everytime I try to download it, the application stalls. It says "download stalled", of course, after it counts up the time for which it will take if it even installed it. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my computer as it's been moving slow, oddly enough. I need help and I figure this is the thread to ask on. ^^ Intended for ColinJF+ or anyone who can help me. ^^ I'll be waiting. Also, if it helps any, I use Windows Vista Home Basic.

Just posting to let ColinJF know that I no longer need the installation file to run shoddy, as the actual shoddy desktop icon seems to be loading all the new stuff correctly now. I don't know when it got completely fixed, as I didn't check it yesterday or the day before, but if you made any changes since I last posted, well, they worked. :D

This is my computer's details when I can't launch ShoddyBattle.

com.sun.deploy.net.FailedDownloadException: Unable to load resource: http://shoddybattle.com/client/shoddybattle.jnlp
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.actionDownload(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResourceCacheEntry(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.DownloadEngine.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Im probably going to pull a blonde question.. but here goes anyway. Where can I download Java? So that I CAN download Shoddy? ^^;

I have a bit of a problem T_T . I cant connect to any servers. When I try, it comes up with...

An error occurred while attempting to connect to the server

Connection refused: connect

...How do I fix this?

*sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I regestered today.^^*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)