Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters
My shiny luck likes to troll me in whatever way hurts worst.

My very first shiny was a safari zone doduo back in GBC days... and it ran.

I didn't encounter another for literally almost 10 years? Outside of one replay where during a catching tutorial, guess what showed up to make me rage? I got to watch an NPC slam dunk the only shiny I'd seen in a decade lol. I never forgave Norman.

UM decided to be nice to me, though.

Before I had registered it to my dex, I caught a random shiny raticate. I had no idea at the time that if you caught the mon shiny the dex would default to that sprite, which was awesome. This was the first game I'd played since White came out for reasons (broke college student, no DS for quite some time) so it was a really great welcome back lol. This was prior to dex completion, too, so full odds! After dex comp I nabbed a shiny bewear from the grass on the same island. It had Klutz and a bad nature since obv I wasn't hunting for it, but I kept it anyway as a trophy and because it was cute and even HT'd it just because I was a plaza fiend and had more bottlecaps than I knew what to do with.

Cue SWSH: one mint and one ability capsule later, Pumpkin is a treasured member of my den farming party. :,)

I've learned gen 7 egg RNG since then and successfully hatched / caught a bunch more shinies. But I traded the raticate away an age ago so my bewear is v speshul to me.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
My shiny luck likes to troll me in whatever way hurts worst.

My very first shiny was a safari zone doduo back in GBC days... and it ran.

I didn't encounter another for literally almost 10 years? Outside of one replay where during a catching tutorial, guess what showed up to make me rage? I got to watch an NPC slam dunk the only shiny I'd seen in a decade lol. I never forgave Norman.

UM decided to be nice to me, though.

Before I had registered it to my dex, I caught a random shiny raticate. I had no idea at the time that if you caught the mon shiny the dex would default to that sprite, which was awesome. This was the first game I'd played since White came out for reasons (broke college student, no DS for quite some time) so it was a really great welcome back lol. This was prior to dex completion, too, so full odds! After dex comp I nabbed a shiny bewear from the grass on the same island. It had Klutz and a bad nature since obv I wasn't hunting for it, but I kept it anyway as a trophy and because it was cute and even HT'd it just because I was a plaza fiend and had more bottlecaps than I knew what to do with.

Cue SWSH: one mint and one ability capsule later, Pumpkin is a treasured member of my den farming party. :,)

I've learned gen 7 egg RNG since then and successfully hatched / caught a bunch more shinies. But I traded the raticate away an age ago so my bewear is v speshul to me.

I absolutely love long term success stories like this. 10 years is a long freaking time. I would know. I am also a college kid as we speak. Having only one obtained random Shiny (this is to say, no RNG abuse, but I also don't consider it cheating either due to the skill requirement making up for it), in that long a time is quite the spectacle, and a testament to how having so little of something can make the importance of that thing you DO have all the more special. Cherish the bear, my friend. Cherish that bear.

Mario60866iPod13

Banned deucer.
Legitimate Shiny Pokemon I remember finding in each game (excluding guaranteed shiny Pokemon)
Sapphire:
Shiny Beldum/Metang/Metagross
Shiny Registeel (FUCKING AWESOME))

Platinum:
Shiny Magnemite
Shiny Roselia
Shiny Gyarados (obtained in trade from my best friend)

White:
Shiny Archeops

Black 2:
Shiny Kyurem (how did we get here?!)

Alpha Sapphire:
Shiny Spinda
Shiny Claydol

UltraMoon:
Various ultra wormhole shiny Pokemon

Pokemon Go:
Shiny Eevee x 2
Shiny Pikachu
Shiny Magikarp x 5
IMG_20211101_214353105.jpg
IMG_20211101_214405409.jpg
IMG_20211101_214538948.jpg
IMG_20211101_214548309.jpg
IMG_20211101_214613596.jpg

Last edited:
A Shiny Pikachu and Shiny Kricketot in PLA, both from outbreaks that happened in a row on the same day. Outbreaks have increased odds, but man, that made my heart beat a little harder. I caught them both and I'm still determining the nicknames for them.

If I had a nickel for every Shiny I found during endgame grinding on Mt. Silver, I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot, but it's weird that it happened twice. A Golbat in Crystal and an Ursaring in SoulSilver. The former sent me over the moon--it was my first ever wild Shiny.

Yesterday evening I found a Throh outside Pinwheel Forest, the first Shiny I could actually put to use. He'll be a valuable contributor.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shiny hunting is the perfect side activity when doing something else that requires low attention for us dopamine deprived souls :')

I recently got a shiny chikorita in pkm gold, super Lucky at 312 resets! I'm going for shiny espeon next so I can get my bogos binted B)

My first ever shiny (besides red gyarados) was a shiny mankey on a bootleg copy of Leaf Green. Tragically the cartridge deleted its own save data five minutes later. Not very tech savvy, just know that the game couldn't hold save data for more than two hours. Never found another shiny mankey, although I don't like its puke green colour, its still a bitter childhood memory.

I found my Pokemon Ruby game I thought was stolen. So I tried getting into RNG for the billions of time to see if I can succeed
this is the first time I succeeded in RNG and behold my very first shiny starter. Sadly Brave Nature so... I don't trust myself to succeed again to RNG for that ID Number so I will just reset
IMG_2636.JPG

I resetted and want to try getting a Mudkip with that Nature... it has been 1 hour since then... Maybe I shouldn't have reset it
Edit
IMG_2638.JPG

Last edited:
When I was playing Pokémon White 2 as a kid I found a shiny Rattata in Castelia Sewers with full odds. I caught it posthaste and never bothered to add it to my team. Even back then I knew the Rattata were not the best ingame. A year later I learned about chain fishing in Pokémon X. I went to the coast and found a shiny Caluncher within thirty minutes. Excited with my accomplishment, I named him "Shiny!!!!!!!!." Now that my save file has been long since deleted it is still stuck with that dumb nickname.

:Tynamo:
I don't shiny hunt, so my first and only experience with a wild shiny was in Omega Ruby. I found a shiny Tynamo in a mirage spot and I was ecstatic. Sadly, the cartridge corrupted a year later before I could transfer it to Bank. That was years ago and I never saw another wild shiny again.
:Nosepass:
I specifically say wild shiny because there was one instance when I was doing a SM randomizer Nuzlocke when one trainer had a shiny Nosepass. It actually pissed me off a bit, because it was in Vast Poni Canyon and the Nosepass I had since day one died right before this happened.

Without cheating I already found a Tangela and a Nidorino in Leaf Green and a Graveler in pokémon Gold.
But I never pay attention to shiny hunter, since we can easily have a shiny via Game Shark cheat. Have a time where all my pokémon was shiny because I cheat.

12 shinies after playing like one month in PLA. Absolute 0 RNG trust me.
They were
Golduck, Rapidash(gift from request), Bibarel, Samurott, Steelix, Lilligant, Purugly, Braviary, Hippowdon, Gengar, Yanmega, and finally a few hours ago Mismagius

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
My literally heart is racing right now (at least in relation to me typing this).

*Disclaimer: this is very pointlessly long with ranting, complaining, and unnecessary content. You have been warned*

My first Pokemon game (and video game in general) was Pokemon White. My first shiny encounter was a shiny Lunatone in the center forest in the Giant Chasm. 10 y/o me, who did know about shiny Pokemon, thought it was a good idea to hit the Lunatone twice with Zekrom (with the first hit already putting it barely above half). So yeah, I KOed it.

I would eventually encounter another shiny in the game, coincidentally in the outer part of the Giant Chasm, this time a shiny Drifblim. This was my first caught shiny, and I must say it looks great in that Quick Ball.

But back to Lunatone, I never really got over it. So, years later, I hunted it in Alpha Sapphire via Dexnav. I wanna say I got it around a chain of ~700, but this was years ago, and I've restarted that game since, so I could easily be wrong (Lunatone just sits in Pokemon Bank now, might move it to my Omega Ruby save file). That satisfied me for a decent while. But, earlier this year, I decided I'd try to RNG one into my White version. I have minimal RNG experience, doing it once successfully last year, but that wasn't for a shiny. Long story short, SID is annoying and I never managed to get it.

I don't shiny hunt too much anymore, but this July, I decided to just do a full odds hunt running through grass, same game (White), same place (inner Giant Chasm). I used the Repel method, which boosted the encounter chance of Lunatone by a lot. Did some math for encounter rates when Max Repel was up, might be a little off, but this is what I ended up with:

30% -> 0%
25% -> 0%
15% -> 17.65%
10% -> 35.3%
10% -> 35.3%
10% -> 11.77%
Throughout the hunt I learned ways to make the process slightly easier:
  • Obviously did this while multitasking, like binge watching a show or something. Wouldn't gone crazy if I didn't.
  • I chose to hunt in darker grass. While this did allow Lunatone and Solrock to know Explosion, I felt the chance of double battles and no shaking grass was worth it. The cave was also an option, but I preferred the chance for a shiny Metang over the chance for a shiny Jynx. There was probably also some general stubbornness involved.
  • Put a piece of folded up masking tape under the Circle Pad (similar to the coin technique) to make it, and my character, go right. And when I'd press left on the D-Pad, it would ignore the Circle Pad and make my character go left instead. This let me more easily go back and forth. It also didn't work vice versa for some reason.
  • I set my Items section of the bag to the Y button with Max Repel at the top, since sadly this was one game too early for the "Would you like to use another Max Repel?" mechanic. This admittedly could be a pain with having to take out the masking tape every time. I'd have 300 Max Repels at a time and reset if a ran out or restock when I found a shiny.
  • My team by the end (in order) was: KOed Illuminate Watchog, lvl 65 Hydreigon, Damp+Protect Poliwhirl, another Damp+Protect Poliwhirl, the OG Zekrom, free slot for shiny
So, for the hunt itself. I found a shiny Lunatone within hours. Yep. But the one thing I didn't do was check if I had any Master Balls, and it turned out they were all in my White 2 copy. I tried to play around Explosion with Parahax and the single Poliwhirl that was on my team at the time, but Psychic was strong enough to OHKO Poliwhirl and it eventually managed to pull off an Explosion. Honestly, I wasn't sure whether to feel frustrated or to laugh at the absurdity. But hey, at least I got shiny Lunatone in my Pokedex, having turned off my game after the past Lunatone failure.

So, the hunt continued. A little less than a week later, I encountered my next shiny, Solrock. Wasn't too excited, but still flung a Master Ball at it (I had traded a couple from White 2).
Solrock1.png

Tom and Jerry Pie.png
While this hunt was my priority, I'd occasionally simultaneously SR Bill's Eevee in my SoulSilver copy, a hunt started years ago. This was for a shiny playthrough of SoulSilver I started in 2013, and the Eevee ended up being my next shiny. Honestly, I wouldn't have been hunting it if I wasn't also doing the Lunatone hunt, so it's the main reason I can't be completely disappointed by the Lunatone using Explosion. I plan to evolve it into an Umbreon, but who knows when I'll actually do it.
Eevee1.png

My next shiny was a Ditto, which wasn't too hard or worrisome to catch, having it transform into my Poliwhirl. And Thunder Waving it with Zekrom.
Ditto1.png

Can't Complain About Luck.png
I eventually encountered another shiny Solrock. I realized it was much safer to battle, since it's Rock Slide did much less than Lunatone's Psychic and I now had two Poliwhirls on my team, both with Protect so they didn't fear Solar Beam. So, I was able to catch it without the need for a Master Ball. And that's good based on what would happen next.
Solrock2.png

Drake.png
I'm not gonna spread this part out. I got 2 more shiny Ditto's and 5 MF SOLROCKS. Reminder that Solrock had the exact same encounter rate as Lunatone, and Ditto even less. Hell, I got 2 of those Solrocks in one day. But yeah, IDT I'd have enough Master Balls.
Solrock3.png
Ditto2.png
Solrock4.png
Solrock5.png
Solrock6.png
Solrock7.png
Ditto3.png

Doge.png
But today, now all the way in October, I have finally found and caught it. The shiny Lunatone is ALL MINE. IDK what else to say, other than my heart is still racing a little (again in relation to me typing this).
Lunatone1.png

Dr. Strange.png
O yeah also used PS Teambuilder to pointlessly calc their approximate IVs! (yes IK there are programs for that) https://pokepast.es/d7a588ed43b313ef

Now I can finally get back to playing FE: Three Houses and Paper Mario: Origami King! (which I took breaks on during this hunt thinking it wouldn't take this long lol)

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)