Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters

The Mind Electric

Calming if you look at it right.
I’ve always been fascinated by weird, unexplained things like this. In fact, I even had one of my own. Having a Pokémon you don’t remember catching is one thing... but what about a photo in your phone’s camera roll that was sent to you at 4 in the morning one night that no one actually sent you?

This Shiny Oshawott picture provided below was saved to my gallery on July 26th, 2020 at 4:10 AM according to my phone. If you look closely, you can see the pixels of the 3DS screen, confirming this as a raw photo and not something I accidentally screenshotted rolling around in my sleep. The only game I could have hunted this in was in Pokémon Sun, but I know for a fact that never happened, and especially not at 4 AM. What’s more, none of my friends on any platform can find an explanation for this picture.

I guess the question remains... what do you guys think? I can’t quite wrap my head around it, but this picture is genuinely scary to me for some reason.
You know what you have to do now, right? The Oshawott calls, my friend.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
You know what you have to do now, right? The Oshawott calls, my friend.
If you’re thinking what I’m thinking, I definitely plan on doing this at some point. The problem is that 2018 inadvertently killed any desire I ever had to Shiny hunt after my lack of motivation to consistently SR for a da** Foongus for two years. Bar a few points in early 2019, that whole time was pretty rough for me as a Pokémon fan. In fact, I was so distressed as a Pokémon fan in 2018-19 that this alone almost turned me off of Pokémon Sword & Shield.

It’s just that it’s going to take a miracle for me to get back to the glory days of when I actually enjoyed playing through the games and looking for Shinies. I feel like if I wanted this Shiny Oshawott bad enough, I could have already started working towards it.

About a month ago, I decided that I wanted to start over my Pokemon Ultra Sun file to hunt Shiny Pokemon that I had missed previously, like Poipole and Type: Null (and possibly Blacephalon). After gathering enough Pokemon to possibly get the Shiny Charm again and taking all of my Pokemon out of Poke Pelago and putting them in Bank, I restarted and just goofed around. After beating the game a couple days ago, I realized that in order to get to the Battle Tree and the IV Judge, which was something I needed for my Masuda Hunts, you first needed to get both Type: Null and Blacephalon. After learning that the Shiny Charm doesn't even affect Null's Shininess, I submitted myself to possibly weeks of on and off SRing.

NERP!

Today the golden Type: Null showed up on screen alongside the stupid Big Malasada that Wicke gives you. My heart literally stopped for a second and I laughed a bit. It's a joke to me how fast some hunts are even when the odds are bad. I dubbed the now-Silvally Saccharus, which is Latin for Synthetic. This beauty is gonna go to Galar soon too, I just need to get Pokemon Home...sometime...

I'm so happy it showed up though, and I can't wait to train it up for battle! On to Blacephalon!

Blacephalon appeared in under 30 encounters...I am laughing so hard...even my Timid Synch worked...this is so amazing! SURPRISE! is now a member of my Shiny Box, which seems to be growing at a very alarming rate. Now that I have the Judge function, I'll be able to hunt the Speed Boost Venipede that I've been looking forward to, and put the Speed Boost Breedjects on my thread.

Last edited:
About a month ago, I decided that I wanted to start over my Pokemon Ultra Sun file to hunt Shiny Pokemon that I had missed previously, like Poipole and Type: Null (and possibly Blacephalon). After gathering enough Pokemon to possibly get the Shiny Charm again and taking all of my Pokemon out of Poke Pelago and putting them in Bank, I restarted and just goofed around. After beating the game a couple days ago, I realized that in order to get to the Battle Tree and the IV Judge, which was something I needed for my Masuda Hunts, you first needed to get both Type: Null and Blacephalon. After learning that the Shiny Charm doesn't even affect Null's Shininess, I submitted myself to possibly weeks of on and off SRing.

NERP!

Today the golden Type: Null showed up on screen alongside the stupid Big Malasada that Wicke gives you. My heart literally stopped for a second and I laughed a bit. It's a joke to me how fast some hunts are even when the odds are bad. I dubbed the now-Silvally Saccharus, which is Latin for Synthetic. This beauty is gonna go to Galar soon too, I just need to get Pokemon Home...somtime...

I'm so happy it showed up though, and I can't wait to train it up for battle! On to Blacephalon!
Technically, you need to obtain neither Null nor Blacephalon to progress. Filling your PC and party forces Wicke back to the Aether Paradise, where Null can be collected anytime thereafter (including post-Tree/Judge). You can also run from the 2 Blacephalon encounters, and they will remain there to catch post-Tree/Judge.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I used to shiny hunt frequently before I transitioned to focusing primarily on the competitive scene. One of my favorite shiny pokemon is shiny Seviper, specifically in generation 4. I didn't have the materials necessary to hunt Seviper in D/P/Pt or transfer it from generation 3, so my only option was HG/SS's Safari Zone. I hunted it infrequently/on and off for multiple years before deciding to hunt it seriously recently. Yesterday, I finally encountered one. Unfortunately, it fled after breaking out of three Safari balls. Though I was unhappy about losing it, I was still excited to have found the shiny in the first place and decided to continue to hunt. Today, I encountered a second shiny Seviper. I was so shocked to have encountered one of my favorite shinies that I had wanted for such a long time two days in a row. This time, I caught it on the first ball. I feel so happy to have found it; shiny Seviper looks truly amazing in HG/SS. Good luck to everyone hunting shinies; you will obtain it with enough determination and it will certainly feel worth it. :)

Yesterday while playing Pokemon Sword (which I'm still in the process of beating), I was spamming Raid Dens for good rewards and found a Chansey 3-Star, which gives some promising rewards. Upon entering the battle, I noticed something very important: it was green.

I was visibly shaking as I fought it, knowing that it could easily break out of whatever ball I threw, so after getting it to 1 health, I lobbed an Ultra Ball at it. My younger brother looked over at the TV and bet that it would break out. I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't.

I named her Lucky, the name of all Shiny Chansey, and gave her an Eviolite to use for my playthrough. Yay for lucky people and Pokemon!

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yesterday while playing Pokemon Sword (which I'm still in the process of beating), I was spamming Raid Dens for good rewards and found a Chansey 3-Star, which gives some promising rewards. Upon entering the battle, I noticed something very important: it was green.

I was visibly shaking as I fought it, knowing that it could easily break out of whatever ball I threw, so after getting it to 1 health, I lobbed an Ultra Ball at it. My younger brother looked over at the TV and bet that it would break out. I was pleasantly surprised when it didn't.

I named her Lucky, the name of all Shiny Chansey, and gave her an Eviolite to use for my playthrough. Yay for lucky people and Pokemon!
Assuming you initiated the raid yourself, you had a 100% capture rate regardless of which ball you used!

Might as well add my first ever two shiny experiences here for the archives for all to remember. Now I have quite alot of shiny pokemon these days, be them full odds hunted or RNG manipulated for competitive reasons, but the first two will always be special to me. My first generation was gen 3 with Ruby and Sapphire in 2003 as a kid and is in fact still my most played gen to this day. I would say my first shiny came about around 2004 into early 2005 at my daycare of all places. Now I always had my SP and my games on me no matter what and I loved to fight wild pokemon to get my own mons to level 100. Well this one particular day while at daycare I was in the mood to fight stuff on route 114 since it had cool stuff and I wanted my Vibrava to evolve eventually. Well after awhile I suddenly ran into a blue Zangoose, which blew my mind. This was my first shiny, and unlike some people I had to catch it because I loved Zangoose and blue is my fave color. Apparently I was the only kid in school with a shiny so people thought I was lying, but once they saw the Zangoose they too decided to go looking for "weird" colored pokemon. Mind you I come from the third generation babies so none of us knew about gen 2 shinies until I got a copy of Gold later on with Gyarados. Those days my generation was not as internet savvy with the games so that also explains why we didnt know about shinies, since if we had to rely on guides to help us they would be those old game guides in book form that were not always correct and certainly didnt tell us about shinies. Good times

Now my second story would be from 2006 with my second shiny being in Sapphire. Now if you play Pokemon then you know all about the crazy rumors we used to get in the games. For gen 3 I was told multiple times to go to the space center to be able to ride a rocket into space to get Jirachi or a Deoxys and yes I fell for it all the time. When you are 7 you fall for this stuff easily lmao
Well this goes for some off beat rumor a kid once told me in school. He told me if I see every pattern of spinda something special will happen, so you know what I did. I went to the best route in the game with the best music to do just that, look at countless spinda. Eventually a week in that special thing decided to happen, a Spinda shined. Now today I know that looking at X amount of Spinda does not mean you get something special, but as a kid I was ecstatic. I caught that sucker faster then my last girlfriend left me and showed it off to the kid the next day. Nowadays I know he was just trying to fuck with me, but somehow I was rewarded for listening to his baseless rumor.

These days I have a lot of shinies. Hell the majority of my generation 3 shinies are all full odds hunted and are sitting on one of my Sapphire carts, with a smaller portion being RNG maniped for Battle Tower purposes or used to battle old friends via link cable or the gameboy player and some Colosseum. But still to this day those first two shinies will always mean the most to me no matter what. Sorry for the wall of text, but I had to share my old stories that make me feel old.

Kinetic

my focus is UNPARALLELED
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
While I was playing alpha sapphire, I remember finding a shiny relicanth. Eventually, I wonder traded it away and deleted the save file. Looking back on it, probably shouldn't have done that.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
First day Crown Tundra DLC dropped, I found a full odds shiny Amaura. I evolved it, leveled it, gave it a bunch of Bottle Caps, gave it its hidden ability, and eventually used it on the team I used to get No. 1 in Battle Stadium Singles for the first time. The Aurorus is probably one of my favorite Pokemon I have ever owned (the Chandelure was also a full odds shiny I hatched while IV breeding.)
amaura.png

Finally got one of my dream shinies - fire red Mewtwo. He has bold nature (not the best, but OK), and quite good IVs - 30/19/28/27/0/30. Shame about that Special Defense, but it doesn´t matter - especially since I was ABSOLUTELY unprepared for this hunt. I mean, my team consisted of lvl 47 Charizard, lvl 45 Raichu, lvl 45 Dragonair, lvl 46 Lapras and lvl 46 Aerodactyl, about 110 Ultra Balls and bunch of Revives and Full Restores. How did I get it, you ask?
Mewtwo in FR/LG is at lvl 70, with Safeguard, Swift, Psychic and Recover. The biggest problem was Psychic - it OHKOED all my team. My way around it? Charizards Smokescreen. I just needed the first attack to be anything else than Psychic (which was 75% chance). It worked. I managed to get 2 smokescreens onto him, before Psychic hit. Then I tried to paralyze it with Raichus Thunder wave, but Mewtwo outsped, and the Quick Claw Raichu was holding didn´t activate, and before I got to attack, it used Safeguard. So I decided to revive Charizard and resume Smokecsreenin. I managed to land another four, and after he went down to Swift (which was 2 or 3 hit KO), his Safeguard ended and I managed to paralyze him. Great.
Now I tried to damage him, to which Charizards Flamethrower proved the best (as I later found out it was thanks to it´s terrible Special Defense IV´s). But there showed antoher problem - thanks to Pressure it was quickly draining Flamethrowers PP, and it had Recover. And nothing else did enough damage. So in the end I didn´t have another option then throw Ultra Balls at paralyzed full health Mewtwo and hope one of them would work before it Struggles itself to death or I ran out of Ultra Balls.
Let me tell you, it was terrible. I mean, it was pretty easy to stall, since it soon run out of Psychic and Aerodactyl resists Swift, the only other damaging move, but it simply wouldn´t catch. After a while, it began to Struggle - and I realized something - it did very little recoil damage, and more importantly, it´s accuracy was affected by Smokescreen Charizard chugged at him previously. So, great, it did give me more time. But it didn´t give me more Ultra Balls. Finally, I managed to catch it - with only 32 Ultra Balls left. Yep, I threw over 70 Ultra Balls, before I caught him. But it was worth it. Next time I go shiny hunting legendary I will prepare better, tough. Lesson definitely learned.
Now if you excuse me, I will go and try to calm my fast-beating heart.

About three weeks ago, after many months of soft-resetting, I got the perfect TID/SID combo to abuse the Cute Charm Glitch in Pokemon HeartGold.

Armed with a Male Buneary(now a Lopunny) traded from my Diamond, I have slowly but surely collected all of the shiny Pokemon that are obtainable via the glitch(basically every Pokemon that can be found in a random encounter, headbutt tree, fishing, and stationary encounter that can be either gender in HG)

Today I managed to complete my Bug Catching Contest collection(just needed a shiny Nincada), now all that's left are a few of the daily swarms and all of the safari zone Pokemon whose prerequisite blocks need to remain out for multiple days.

The hardest ones to get so far were the following:
-Yanma(too impatient to wait for a swarm so I bet on the 20% chance of a 66% chance of a 1% encounter rate of getting a shiny female Yanma)
-Murkrow(grinded for one in the Safari Zone instead of waiting until the post game)
-Misdreavus(same deal as Murkrow)
-Duskull(block-based safari zone encounter with a seemingly lower encounter rate than the above two, so it took a lot longer to get despite getting it in a fewer number of tries)

The Bug Catching contest was also annoying since I HAD to use the Buneary/Lopunny as my Pokemon. It was sort of over leveled so eventually just using thunder wave and chucking Sport Balls at a full health bug was the only thing I could do. For today's Ground-type Nincada I had to skip the first step and just chuck balls.

Last edited:
Finally got my (almost) dream shiny!
My favourite pokemon is (kanto) Raichu, so I decided to have shiny of that family in the earliest possible version from which you can transfer (hat being Rubby and Sapphire) and than train it and transfer across generations to Galar and beyond. But I didn´t want my Raichu to be just ordinary - I decided to make it Ribbon master!
Also, since Pikachu is the series mascot, it´s improbable that this family would be cut from any main series games, which means I will be most probably able to transfer it further even in the future.
Since Pikachu is 5 % encounter in Safari zone, I decided after two phases (Natu, which I caugh, and Girafarig, which run away) to just breed it. It took a long time - remember that abilities like Flame Body or Magma Armor didn´t help hatching in those games, and Everstone also didn´t work for inheriting natures until Emerald.
Luckily, Pichu is baby pokemon, which means he also has one of the lowest amount of steps needed for it to hatch. I also put two Pikachu in there (both with Thunderbolt, so the baby will have it too), so Eggs were generated qute fast.
shinypichu.jpg

Despite that, it took thousands of eggs and over 85 in-game hours to get my shiny. But here she is. Yes, I would have preferred male, but doesn´t matter - the main thing is that she is finally here and this quest is over. Now for the Ribbon mastering. Oh joy.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
i remember playing through swsh in a playthrough where i used inteleon, the starter i liked least out of the three.

my current team was...hmm, i don't remember. i guess i'll just show you what the fully evolved members were.

we got Cringteleon, Buttermilk, Snips, Borse, and Fancypanties, left to right.
:ss/inteleon: :ss/raichu-alola: :ss/togekiss: :ss/scolipede: :ss/scrafty:
so, i was n route 4, on my way to the fighting gym, which no doubt was gonna be easy as hell. but i did have to attempt and dodge all the galarian yamask that would try and come after me. I was doing good so far, when all of a sudden....

"hey does yamask's eyes look this gree-*shiny ding here* HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT"

and then i caught it, and the sixth member of the team was found.

Behold!

CLUTCH THE SHINY RUNERIGUS!

1630505766028.png

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Hey, guys, it's me again. So, uh... this was a funny weekend, to say the least. Let's see, if today is Monday... okay, yeah, I'm caught up now. So basically why I'm here is because I got a nice double whammy of a Shiny experience in Pokémon Go again.

So let's rewind to this morning. Traditionally, I only find Shinies nowadays in Pokémon Go (by virtue of playing the main series less than ever before, maybe I'm growing out it, I dunno), and this past Saturday was the Oshawott Community Day event. Before anyone tells me, yes, I am aware of my previous story about the creepy Oshawott picture.

I slept in a little bit today, logged in to see what the normal spawns were, the usual stuff I do on my mobile games. (Unrelated note, but I'm absolutely hooked on "Mario Kart Tour" right now.) Now... out of every single Pokémon that's in the game right now (excluding the Oshawott event), just guess what showed up. Just guess.

224C59AF-F364-4040-A226-4ADEFAA97803.png

ANOTHER ONE. That’s the second Shiny Nidoran-F in a row if we’re looking at full odds Shinies, and the fourth Poison-Type Shiny in a row. I get it, Poison is a very frequently appearing Type, but this after a four month drought because of summer break? That’s absolutely crazy.

(Edit: April was actually 5 months ago, not 4. Lol I can’t math)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)