Shell Smash(ers) in Little Cup

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
approved by blarajan

Shell Smash(ers)

Shell Smashers were great last Generation, but with the inclusion of many new, more suddenly powerful threats such as Sneasel, Gligar, or Meditite, and Pokemon that can boost without even having to use a turn, such as Yanma or Carvanha, do Shell Smashers still have a niche? What makes them different, and, if it be true, still worth using in Generation 6?

Berry Juice.
The release of Berry Juice drastically improves the viability and strength of Shell Smashing Pokemon. Most of them already have enough natural bulk to tank a few hits as they set up, and the inclusion of Berry Juice makes them a whole lot scarier as they can tank a hit as they set up and then completely revive to full health, ready to sweep opposing teams. This effect is even more drastically enhanced in Tirtouga and Dwebble, who have the perfect ability Sturdy, basically guaranteeing them not only a turn for setting up but also 100% HP afterwards due to the Berry Juice. Here's what the sets look like.

What does this mean? This means that, as long as they come in with 100% HP, both Tirtouga and Dwebble can take a turn to set up, which was already guaranteed by their ability, Sturdy. Then, during the turn they set up, should they be hit past 50%, they will regain all of their HP because of their item, Berry Juice, bringing them back to 100% HP, with a +2 boost in Attack, Speed, and Special Attack. This means that it will take another two hits to take them down, as they need to be 2HKO'd again because of their ability. This gives Dwebble and Tirtouga not only pretty much free setup but also a free two whole turns to attack their opponents, and that is the limit only if the opponent still has Pokemon that can stomach +2 STABs and hit back with decent force. This makes Dwebble and Tirtouga extremely efficient and frightening sweepers.

Type Advantages in the New Generation
This extreme boost in efficiency is also backed by the fact that Shell Smashers have a big advantage over the recently unbanned Pokemon because of their typings. All of them except Dwebble are Water-type, which is a very solid defensive and offensive type this Generation, as few teams carry Pokemon with Electric or Grass-type STAB now due to the prevalence of Gligar, Sneasel, and Meditite. Water-types have a whole lot that they can hit, too, as Dragons are still virtually non-existant as are Grass-types and opposing Water-types (though the latter may change as more people begin to use Water-type Shell Smashers.) Powerful Water-type STABs such as Surf, Hydro Pump, Aqua Tail, Waterfall, and Aqua Jet go relatively unresisted in this new metagame, making them powerful attack moves for sweepers. All of the Shell Smashers except Shellder and Clamperl are also Rock-type, which is a great secondary STAB for nailing the new and common Sneasel and Yanma. Shell Smashers have a big advantage power and type-wise.

What are your thoughts? Do you think Shell Smashers will have a big impact on the metagame? Do you think the impact will be positive or negative? How do you think the existence of these new major threats will affect teambuilding? What kind of sets are you guys using? Feel free to discuss below!

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
SturdyJuiceSmash mons are extremely good in gen 6, only being stopped my taunt/para/burn, and most mons that can burn them are still weak to their STABs and do take quite a number at +2 even with burn.

as long as Sneasel, Meditite, Gligar, and Yanma stay legal in LC, i have no problems with shell smashers + Berry Juice. However that being said, Sturdy Smashers are on a whole different level. Is there any reason to run a smasher that isnt Tirtouga/Dwebble? Sure Clamperl is a special sweeper, but that sturdy allows them to setup on nearly anything that wont burn/taunt them.

As powerful as they are, sturdysmashers are still fairly easy to manage I've found. Rocks are pretty heartbreaking for them, and most viable spinners in LC don't fit too well with them on a team. Plus gligar can generally keep a handle on Dwebble (run knock off! shuts em down) and tirtouga gets stuck with a bit of 4 slot move syndrome, with aqua jet, ice beam and EQ all vying to get that last spot, so something will always be able to beat it (tangela crogunk etc)

Heres hoping cottonee really does turn out to be a fairy type, gonna make setting up a shell smash a nightmare.

macle edit: it is fairy

Last edited by a moderator:
Shellder @ Berry Juice
Ability: Skill Link
Level: 5
EVs: 116 Spd / 236 Atk / 156 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell

I truely enjoy running shellder, because cloyster has been my all time favorite pokemon since like ever. 116 speed EVs give it enough speed to outspeed sneasel at +2 speed. 236 attack EVs with adamant to hit as hard a possible, and the rest in spedial defense cuz shellder lacks special bulk. Also Razor Shell>Ice Shard for coverage issues (steel).

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shellder @ Berry Juice
Ability: Skill Link
Level: 5
EVs: 116 Spd / 236 Atk / 156 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash
- Razor Shell

I truely enjoy running shellder, because cloyster has been my all time favorite pokemon since like ever. 116 speed EVs give it enough speed to outspeed sneasel at +2 speed. 236 attack EVs with adamant to hit as hard a possible, and the rest in spedial defense cuz shellder lacks special bulk. Also Razor Shell>Ice Shard for coverage issues (steel).
Shellder is really really good in this metagame for it's ability to sweep past and set up on many common pokemon. In particular it can really take advantage of Gligar who's unbelievably common for an easy time setting up. I think Hydro Pump is better than Razor Shell as Razor Shell can't OHKO Honedge.
Of course Ice Shard is still good for protect Yanma, Fletchling and Murkrow, but in this metagame, I'd agree that the Water coverage is more useful, unless you use Magnemite to guarantee that steels are gone.

Shellder is really really good in this metagame for it's ability to sweep past and set up on many common pokemon. In particular it can really take advantage of Gligar who's unbelievably common for an easy time setting up. I think Hydro Pump is better than Razor Shell as Razor Shell can't OHKO Honedge.
Of course Ice Shard is still good for protect Yanma, Fletchling and Murkrow, but in this metagame, I'd agree that the Water coverage is more useful, unless you use Magnemite to guarantee that steels are gone.
I like this, gunna edit my shellder

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I really enjoy my ShellSmash leads. LeadSmash Tirtouga and Dwebble are really great for seizing early-match momentum and advantages, especially since they take so many hits to defeat. People that don't have specialized counters to SturdySmashers always have to sack something in order to get their check in safely, as +2 offenses can easily power through most opponents. Bringing them in as a lead will also ensure that they're in at 100% HP, which is awesome to practically guarantee setup.

The best way to beat ShellSmashers is with weak priority + strong attacks. You need to prevent their Berry Juice from activating while also breaking their Sturdys- and priority attacks such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Ice Shard all do this (but LO Sneasel Ice Shard does bring Dwebble into Berry Juice range.) Then, you have to nail them with powerful attacks. Mienfoo is great at this, especially coming in, as it can Fake Out, breaking the Sturdy, and then KO with Drain Punch.

Knock Off is another great way to check Shell Smashers, but Knock Off Pokemon must be careful. Sneasel is OHKO'd by almost any even non-boosted Rock-type attack that most Shell Smashers carry, and Gligar is hit hard by Tirtouga's Water-type STAB. Still, Knock Off is able to deal a lot of damage to defense-investment lacking Smashers, and sets them up for easy priority elimination.

Beating all of those sweepers is all about having the right counters and playing with them correctly. They're not overly difficult to manage if you have a counter or a check, but can easily sweep your team if you don't.

Phemeto: You're right, a lot of the Smashers that lack Sturdy are outclassed. Shellder does have a niche as a pure Water-type smasher, however, as it can easily set up against most Sneasel and Gligar, both of which are very common. Other than that, Dwebble and Tirtouga are definitely going to dominate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)