Serious shaving your hair off

hi. i've been seriously debating shaving my head but i have a few things holding me back and want others opinions. and advice if anyone has had their head shaved. okay so, my pros & cons list i've created is...

pros:
- a fresh start; i still have damage from bleach and maintaining health is so annoying
- i can stop spending 10 minutes washing it every day
- it would make every piece of my hair even since i usually trim some parts & not others
- i kinda like the way it looks, and i don't care what people think of me so stares isnt an issue
- it's cheaper for like a few months until it grows back in
- my hair grows super fast, like abnormally fast (usually like 1/3-1/2 inch every week)
- kinda dumb but it strains out vanity of others

cons:
- looks stupid for the first week lol
- my hair is super thick and curly, would it go back to that?
- if not, that's an automatic no bueno for me
- however, if it goes back to the same, i'm fine
- kinda stupid but what if my head has an odd shape and people notice
- like i don't super enjoy hats so there's that and i'd need them for a little while
- i don't know how confident i'd feel w/ it like i like my hair now but ya

i just really do want to try it. anyone have experiences they can share?

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

10/10

i srsly regret not shaving my head after a certain past break-up. not relevant to the thread, but im gonna dye my hair lavender blonde sometimes this week, and screw the haters.

Last edited:
I'm kinda really frustrated over starting to lose my hair at 23 and considering this as well. I feel like I'd need to put on a bit more muscle before I can pull it off, though. I don't like wearing hats and I thought my original hair really worked for me but now that it's starting to become noticeable I can't seem to make anything work right anymore.

If people who've shaved their head have input/stories/tips, whatever I'd appreciate it.

Well, ive consistently had long hair (ala down to below my shoulderblades) the last ten years. But, three years ago i did a stupid drunk decision, and shaved it all off. It looked okay, but i felt incredibly uncomfortable with short hair. Also, my scalp had mushrooms which meant i had to spend a lot on medicinal shampoo for it, and it didnt look very good with all these red spots. I have long hair again personally, because i didnt like it, even though it looked good and i got compliments for it.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
i shaved my head this may. i'll attach some pictures at the bottom of this post. i did it partly to get rid of colored hair that i couldn't be bothered to rebleach and redo, and partly just for the hell of it. my hair is back to a length i like it now, but if you normally wear your hair long it can take two years or so to regain it, just so you know. your hair texture should remain as it always was. i personally quite liked having very very very short / shaved hair more than having <1 inch hair, that was the only awkward transition state for me. once it got to about 2 inches, i shaved the sides and rebleached and dyed and now i'm back to my normal mystical shit. I don't know if i'd do it again, but I also don't regret doing it really. I'd say go for it, it's not a bad experience and you may as well do it eventually.

http://imgur.com/gallery/uoGIX

image gallery is captioned with what they are nd shit

michael

m as in mancy
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i shaved my head this may. i'll attach some pictures at the bottom of this post. i did it partly to get rid of colored hair that i couldn't be bothered to rebleach and redo, and partly just for the hell of it. my hair is back to a length i like it now, but if you normally wear your hair long it can take two years or so to regain it, just so you know. your hair texture should remain as it always was. i personally quite liked having very very very short / shaved hair more than having <1 inch hair, that was the only awkward transition state for me. once it got to about 2 inches, i shaved the sides and rebleached and dyed and now i'm back to my normal mystical shit. I don't know if i'd do it again, but I also don't regret doing it really. I'd say go for it, it's not a bad experience and you may as well do it eventually.

http://imgur.com/gallery/uoGIX

image gallery is captioned with what they are nd shit
your hair is fucking great

seems like you have conflicting thoughts since you don't care about stares but question your confidence if you went through with it. have you considered the middle ground between the two and going with a short cut, ala a pixie cut? full disclosure here that I am very biased given my attraction to girls with short hair, but I think it's possibly worth considering given your predicament?

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well hopefully I can give some input here. My mother is a hairdresser and I currently work with her at her salon so I've learned some tips over the years. If you're gonna go ahead with it: You should first pick the length you want. Shaving could be something like KittenMilk or full shave, so basically a bald head.
If you're not sure yet: not all haircuts are made for everyone. When you go with a shave, make sure that the shape of your head is gonna fit it properly. It's like picking a pair of glasses. For example, people with long, thin faces prefer keeping a longer hair; or at least, shorter on the sides and longer on top. In response to the bleaching, obviously once your hair is damaged, there's no other way than growing new, healthy hair. But there are also ways to keep yours nice, even if not healthy and don't wanna shave your hair off. Buy a nice hair ampoule and apply it while you're showering. Keep it for a min while you do your other shower duties and then wash it off. Cutting it a bit once every two / three weeks (again, if you don't wanna opt for shaving), getting rid of the damaged hair slowly should help. Shampooing a lot if your hair doesn't need it (i.e. your hair is not greasy) is also not helpful, it can make your hair really dry. As for if it'll grow back to its original form: yes. Always, especially the curls. There are ways to permanently straighten your hair with a product that-is not bad for your hair at all but actually makes it smoother and hydrates it-is applied to your hair (smells real awful) and then you must get a brushing and then the hair straightener comes. A lot of people with short hair also get it, not just ones with long, long hair. Get different hair treatments if you're not happy with your hair now. And if you do decide to shave it, go ahead with it! If you're not convinced, as my mother likes to say, hair grows back before you can even notice.
Little advice though. People like to play with their hair in time of stress or boredom, they think changing their hair will radically change their lives. Don't let yourself make a decision on your hair over this, if you want to do something, do it because you really want to.

If your hair is naturally curly, then you should not have an issue with it growing back. My hair is naturally curly, but it only curls when it is long enough (a little over medium length for a male), which might be the case with your hair as well. If you are worried about it being straight, just keep in mind that if it curls naturally, it will start curling at a certain length if it starts growing straight.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I started shaving my head over a year ago and have done it for every haircut since. It was a logical choice, since I can't be bothered with the additional upkeep (gel and frequent trims) required by trendier hairstyles. The benefits are great: I don't have to deal with excessive maintenance, bedhead, or bangs in my face when I go running. One of my friends has also taught himself to shave his own head, saving himself a nice chunk in barber fees. Self-consciousness was only a brief issue; people commented on it like they would any other haircut and left it at that.

I went full shaved head for like two months and it wasn't that bad. My hair isn't curly but it grew back just fine within like 3 to 4 months but I am also a hairy mf so might be a little longer for you. Most people have a weird head shape so don't worry about that. As for what others think, don't care about it. It's worked well for me

Jyoti

Banned deucer.
Being about to head out to enlist, I've been shaving my head for a few months and it's become my preferred way to keep my hair since I live in Florida and its either hot as balls or rainy as fuck. Hot means my head isn't itchy all the time with no hair and rainy means that my hair just kinda sends water away since I don't worry about my formerly long hair.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
My hair has always been very fast-growing voluminous so it's pretty much a given that I've considered doing this a couple of times; I too would like to know if it would grow back.

My hair has always been very fast-growing voluminous so it's pretty much a given that I've considered doing this a couple of times; I too would like to know if it would grow back.
Your hair will keep growing regardless of length until your hairline begins to recede, as long as you don't cut off your scalp or something lol
It's really just a matter of how long until it returns to its original length.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
http://imgur.com/zacuQH4

I buzzed my hair down to 20 mm (which is the longest length my trimmer can do). My hair-twirling habit created several bundles of hair that were considerably wavier than normal, which got to the point of basically needing a clean slate. Honestly, I can sympathize with the concerns about looking stupid for a week or so, because now I'm convinced I look like a skinhead.

On the plus side, I won't have to deal with maintenance for a while, and the complete lack of any hair to twirl should make it easier for me to break the hair-twirling habit that caused the problem to begin with. Of course, there's the downside of... Looking like a skinhead. On the plus side, I have a variety of beanies to wear while my hair grows back to avoid looking completely stupid (but 3/4 of my beanies are pretty nerdy)

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh so I randomly found this thread.. Anyway your head shape looks really fine!! Lol my head is basically pointy and kinda like a triangle >_> it was kinda weird when I got mine shaved during army haha. I'm not too sure how's the climate at your end but be sure not to get your head sun burnt. And yea it does grow back the same but it is kinda annoying to get it back to the same hairstyle as you previously had because the barber can't tell wtheck you actually want sometimes since your hair will just grow evenly in all directions lol.

On a lighter note, use the towel and rub against your head haha xD I think it feels funny from mine and many other people's experience when your hair is super short.

When I first shaved allof my hair and beard off (I had this pretty awesome and thick hair that was long, and a scruffy beard) I looked like a damn baby. But tbh I strongly recommend because you spend less on things to keep your hairs conditioned and it looks pretty badass too. Especially now that I saw the pic, you definitely fall into that badass category...!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)