Resource Scarlet & Violet VGC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited to try out a hail core of Slowking/Cetitan/Amoongus. Something along the lines of:

Lead Slowking / Amoongus.
Put something to sleep with Amoongus (or rage powder), Slowking sets hail and swaps to Cetitan using Chilly Reception.
Cetitan uses Belly Drum + Sitrus, Amoongus takes hits using Rage Powder.
Sweep with Cetitan.

Not sure how good it will be, but I think it could be interesting.

Chromate

is a Forum Moderator
I asked about this in the mechanic leak thread, Jibaku says it's a passive buff, not a stat increase. It activates and deactivates with the field condition. Booster Energy gets consumed if it activates, no word on how long it lasts in that case. No word yet on boost level.
Theorymon has tested and found that the boost is 1.5x and lasts until switch out when used with the item iirc. I could be wrong tho

Iron Bundle can be a good support pokemon because on 252Hp / 4Def / 252SpD Calm nature, it still got high speed for that Quark Drive buff and the Modest Nature with 204 SpA / 252 Spe still get that speed buff with only one difference berween attack and speed.

Edit: Speedy Snowscape setter maybe?
Edit2:
Iron Bundle @ Booster Energy / Covert Cloak / Sitrus Berry
Level: 50
Calm Nature
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump / Chilling Water / Icy Wind
- Encore / Snowscape / Electric Terrain
- Protect / Aurora Veil / Taunt
Note: Speed still higher than the other stats to get that Quark Drive buff and make it Outspeed base 160 base speed pokemon with max speed nature by 1 point.

Last edited:
Any recommendations for something to round out a core of Flutter Mane and Ting-Lu? So far I have:
Flutter Mane @ Wise Glasses
Tera: Ghost
Timid Nature
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpAtt/ 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute/Protect

Flutter Mane is gonna be a menace in the early meta and will likely stay relevant. It's greatest weakness is it's low physical bulk. To bypass that, Substitute gives it a "get out of punch" free card while still letting it attack that turn. The sub will likely die, even to neutral physical hits but I'll try to boost that bulk to just enough to not break easily and allow it to get a Calm Mind off. Currently unsure of what EVs to move from SpAtt to Def to do that though. Also unsure on the item.
Ting-Lu @ Assault Vest
Tera: Fighting
Adamant Nature
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
EVs: 20 HP/124 Att/ 108 Def/ 252 SpDef/ 4 Spd
- Stomping Tantrum
- Snarl
- Throat Chop/ Ruination
- Body Press

This guy shrugs off any and all non super effective hits and still hits decently hard. Mostly looking to max out special bulk while also making sure Iron Valiant's Close Combat is not a 2HKO (assuming Vessel of Ruin is a 25% debuff). The rest goes into Attack. Ting-Lu's movepool isn't the best with an Assault Vest (unless I'm missing something) but Body Press does turn its massive Def into an offensive stat and give this core SE damage against Ice-types.

I have Throat Chop slashed with Ruination bc I really like the idea of just cutting a bulky threat's HP in half, turning a 2HKO into and OHKO but that does leave Ting-Lu without a Dark-Stab. Technically it doesn't need it but there are Pokémon where Throat Chop will do more than 50%.

The idea is to raise Flutter Mane's bulk through Vessel of Ruin and Snarl to allow Flutter Moon to sub and boost and have Ting-Lu provide decent damage to Steel-types, that give Flutter Mane trouble, through Stomping Tantrum.

I'm trying to find a third Pokémon that can resist the Grass-, Fairy, and Water-types that can cause major damage to Ting-Lu. Steel-type resistance all of those but I'm unsure about the available Steel-types in the dex. The best I can come up with is Corviknight but I'd like something with a bit more power. Is there a Pokémon in the dex that can offer that that I missed, even if it's not a Steel-type?

Last edited:
kilowattrel x garchomp feels like a really powerful combo.

Kilowattrel @ focus sash
Tera: electric (probably unused most of the time)
Timid Nature
Ability: Wind power
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
- Volt switch
-discharge
- tail wind
- Protect

Garchomp @ life orb
Tera: Ground
Adamant Nature
Ability: rough skin
EVs: 252 atk/ 252 speed/ 4 s.def
- earthquake
- rock slide
- swords dance
- protect

I feel like a bulky garchomp is also an option but regardless really strong electric spread and really strong ground spread that don't hurt each other? good stuff.

kilowattrel x garchomp feels like a really powerful combo.

Kilowattrel @ focus sash
Tera: electric (probably unused most of the time)
Timid Nature
Ability: Wind power
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spd
- Volt switch
-discharge
- tail wind
- Protect

Garchomp @ life orb
Tera: Ground
Adamant Nature
Ability: rough skin
EVs: 252 atk/ 252 speed/ 4 s.def
- earthquake
- rock slide
- swords dance
- protect

I feel like a bulky garchomp is also an option but regardless really strong electric spread and really strong ground spread that don't hurt each other? good stuff.
Competitive should also be given a slash due to Garchomp being an intimidate target.

Hello,

My Name is Shogun and new here..I wanna go much deeper in VGC this year (play since 2014).
I hope i can make some progress over the time.

Sorry for my bad english, i am native German

Any recommendations for something to round out a core of Flutter Mane and Ting-Lu? So far I have:
Flutter Mane @ Wise Glasses
Tera: Ghost
Timid Nature
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpAtt/ 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Substitute/Protect

Flutter Mane is gonna be a menace in the early meta and will likely stay relevant. It's greatest weakness is it's low physical bulk. To bypass that, Substitute gives it a "get out of punch" free card while still letting it attack that turn. The sub will likely die, even to neutral physical hits but I'll try to boost that bulk to just enough to not break easily and allow it to get a Calm Mind off. Currently unsure of what EVs to move from SpAtt to Def to do that though. Also unsure on the item.
Ting-Lu @ Assault Vest
Tera: Fighting
Adamant Nature
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
EVs: 20 HP/124 Att/ 108 Def/ 252 SpDef/ 4 Spd
- Stomping Tantrum
- Snarl
- Throat Chop/ Ruination
- Body Press

This guy shrugs off any and all non super effective hits and still hits decently hard. Mostly looking to max out special bulk while also making sure Iron Valiant's Close Combat is not a 2HKO (assuming Vessel of Ruin is a 25% debuff). The rest goes into Attack. Ting-Lu's movepool isn't the best with an Assault Vest (unless I'm missing something) but Body Press does turn its massive Def into an offensive stat and give this core SE damage against Ice-types.

I have Throat Chop slashed with Ruination bc I really like the idea of just cutting a bulky threat's HP in half, turning a 2HKO into and OHKO but that does leave Ting-Lu without a Dark-Stab. Technically it doesn't need it but there are Pokémon where Throat Chop will do more than 50%.

The idea is to raise Flutter Mane's bulk through Vessel of Ruin and Snarl to allow Flutter Moon to sub and boost and have Ting-Lu provide decent damage to Steel-types, that give Flutter Mane trouble, through Stomping Tantrum.

I'm trying to find a third Pokémon that can resist the Grass-, Fairy, and Water-types that can cause major damage to Ting-Lu. Steel-type resistance all of those but I'm unsure about the available Steel-types in the dex. The best I can come up with is Corviknight but I'd like something with a bit more power. Is there a Pokémon in the dex that can offer that that I missed, even if it's not a Steel-type?
Nvm, Vessel doesn't lower Attack like I thought. It lowers SpAtt :psycry:

zee

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
This thread will now serve as the proper metagame discussion thread for Scarlet and Violet until further notice. In the mean time I'll spruce up the OP a bit.

I think people are going to focus too much on sun stuff at first... Iron Treads stands out to me a lot with a fast Iron Head/EQ/Rock Slide coverage.

I want to build a team around murkrow. It gets tailwind, weather, haze(for tatsugiri dondonzo), and foul plsy which are all solid in this meta.

i was thinking of adding flutter mane and Chi-yu. What else might be good teammates??

I want to build a team around murkrow. It gets tailwind, weather, haze(for tatsugiri dondonzo), and foul plsy which are all solid in this meta.

i was thinking of adding flutter mane and Chi-yu. What else might be good teammates??
Chi-yu might not be the best with murkrow since it's on the frail side even with eviolite
It also doesn't get roost for some reason, which really hurts
maybe quash spam+something slow that hits like a truck next to it like uh, tyranitar or something that hits fairies

What works with this
Flutter mane @ Wise Glasses/Clear Amulet

Level:50

Tera: Fairy

Timid nature

Ability: protosynthesis

EVs: 252 Speed, 248 SpA, 8 SpD

• Dazzling Gleam
  • Moonblast
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hex

Last edited:
Hi, I've started to play VGC last year after 15 years of playing OU, so maybe I'm sounding ignorant and on top, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but why is Koraidon banned in Battle Stadium Doubles? Was 'restricted legendary' a thing of last generation that probably won't happen again? Do generations start with the legendaries banned before Home arrives? I've searched through the internet, but didn't find information regarding that. I also guess the VGC ladder on Showdown won't happen before cartridge VGC starts? If I just ignored some obvious post, I'd be happy about a link.
Thanks!

Hi, I've started to play VGC last year after 15 years of playing OU, so maybe I'm sounding ignorant and on top, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but why is Koraidon banned in Battle Stadium Doubles? Was 'restricted legendary' a thing of last generation that probably won't happen again? Do generations start with the legendaries banned before Home arrives? I've searched through the internet, but didn't find information regarding that. I also guess the VGC ladder on Showdown won't happen before cartridge VGC starts? If I just ignored some obvious post, I'd be happy about a link.
Thanks!
Restricted are only allowed in the final bit of the VGC season. That'll be in almost 2 years.
Generally, VGC and BSS go through 3 phases, regional dex, expanded dex (dlcs more or less in modern days), restricted-allowed format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)