SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Also, I vaguely recall a tutorial at some point during the game saying that consumable items are actually not consumed anymore during story battles...
As in certain specific story battles, or are all items effectively one use per battle but never actually consumed now?

As in certain specific story battles, or are all items effectively one use per battle but never actually consumed now?
That is really something I havent quite understood and honestly didn't think of trying... The only thing that did catch my eye was that booster energy on a wild Iron Moth which I caught and still had it equipped.

To be honest with how obnoxious it is to change tera types, you prolly would.

It's not "hard", just very time consuming, gathering 50 tera shards takes ages :P
I think I would rather not re-EV and bottle cap and nature mint a new one tbh. Not really looking to use Toxapex any time soon anyway. By the time it can be transferred there will likely be a improved way of getting shards and I might need steel shards for something else anyway.

Remind me, do overworld abilities work anymore or no?

Are we back to spending hours resetting in front of a static legendary for the right nature and good IVs?

I was thinking about what I'd need to add in my save with PkHeck and... There wasn't anything actually pressing.

Mints can be found in the overworld and respawn periodically at the same place. They are also purchasable.

Bottle Caps are purchasable. Hyper Training is now allowed for Lv. 50 mons too.

Ability Capsules are purchasable.

Breeding and move-passing are easier than ever. You can even get late-game mons before the first gym if you want to use say, Frigibax in-game by breeding it.

Like... This is not like old games where it was so grindy to have decent mons that you absolutely needed PkHex to not end up with a bunch of shitmons like this:
IVs pls.png

Sure, there are still some things that need to be worked on like Ball and EV-reducing berries' availabilities and Ability Patches are a chore to get but it's so convenient to get good mons now that it's reasonable enough to not even bother genning in mons.

This game keeps surprising me in positive ways. VGC's entry barrier is the lowest it has ever been by a mile.

I still want PkNX tho. Exp. Groups must be terminated, PLA mons being locked to Transfer-only is disgusting, I wanna spice up trainers a bit, and Exp. Groups must be terminated.

Remind me, do overworld abilities work anymore or no?

Are we back to spending hours resetting in front of a static legendary for the right nature and good IVs?
I thought of doing that for the Quartet but decided not too because I wanted them in premier balls and it's a pain to catch them in that. I tried the catching food powers however it didn't seem to have much of a effect.

Sure, there are still some things that need to be worked on like Ball and EV-reducing berries' availabilities and Ability Patches are a chore to get but it's so convenient to get good mons now that it's reasonable enough to not even bother genning in mons.
Getting the cash for it all is the chore part. Unless you do the dupe glitch while it still lasts and end up with more cash in 5 mins than any other method. Then it's just berries which can be a pain and that only really applies if you want to use a in game team or are frequently changing setups.

I thought of doing that for the Quartet but decided not too because I wanted them in premier balls and it's a pain to catch them in that. I tried the catching food powers however it didn't seem to have much of a effect.
To be fair they have a catch rate of 6 and you're using a x1 pokeball

By the way been playing some co-op with a couple friends and it's pretty like....good? Like it is REMARKABLY stable, havent even seen the model glitches despite playing for well over an hour. We even did some raids just fine.

Also interesting is how it will spawn both VEs while wandering around. My friends did some experimenting and we think it will favor whoever goes into the zone first, then if the host wanders in it will slowly prioritize them. But the spawns will stick around until they despawn. Pretty neat!

Less neat is how Area Zero, we're both seeing the same spawns and stuff, and can even see when the other gets into a battle with the pokemon...but we can't see each other or their pokemon, just the one they're fighting. It's very bizarre.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
The stuff I'm about to complain about makes sense thematically and I like that they're experimenting, but as that one guy that really loves Status Moves, I can't not complain. Not going to say my complaints should be listened to though unless it's to laugh about problems only one guy would ever have.

The Starmobiles make me think (yet gain) that someone at Game Freak really really hates me. It's more likely that they just hate stall, but did they really have to make the Starmobiles immune to EVERY Status Move?! I don't blame them for making them immune to Status Conditions, but this is just overkill.

Toxic? Nope
Will-O-Wisp? Nope
Leech Seed? Nope
Confuse Ray? Thankfully for my sanity, no.
Spite? Nope
Toxic Spikes? Nope
Perish Song? Only worked on the user. Very unuseful.
Haze? Uh... No idea. The one I tried it against didn't have any stat changes.
Worry Seed? Nope. Come on! That one doesn't even matter!
Spikes and Stealth Rock? Worked, but not helpful.

Stalling until they run out of PP? (30 Minutes Later) You've got to be kidding me... They don't have PP.

Spikes and Stealth Rock working made me think if there was anything else indirect enough to possibly work. I gave it another try after reteaching Clodsire Sandstorm and it worked! Suck it that one guy at Game Freak! >:D

And I thought the Grass Gym Trial's Sunflora with Ingrain, Leech Seed, and 2 Draining Attacks before I could get anything to learn Toxic was bad!

(If anyone's wondering how I managed to get through the Star's Bases, no one do research into if Autobattles use Physical or Special Moves! That way I can still say I didn't use any Physical or Special Moves! Even if they do, that doesn't matter because I hacked the game to skip it or something else more believable!)

While I'm complaining, might as well give a slightly more serious complaint. I don't know what's worse, that Confuse Ray, a move that is likely to end up doing nothing, is a TM or that I used that TM.

I was thinking about what I'd need to add in my save with PkHeck and... There wasn't anything actually pressing.
Ability Patches! You need Ability Patches!

Other than that though, wow. Now that I think about it, I already used bottlecaps for Legendary Pokemon but being able to buy as many as you want makes breeding feel pointless apart from sharing Rare Balls... I'm still doing it for naturally perfect Pokemon though! :P

For people that like soft resetting or breeding for IVs, there's always 0 Attack and Speed if you need those! (Is is weird that I like SRing? :P)

I hadn't paid much mind to look into the non-weird evolution methods before.
I am genuinely surprised at some of these levels. Like Glimmora? Totally pegged that as a "you are way too high a level" type mon, but its a mere level 35. Tinkaton I thought would probably be like 42, was actually 38. Baxcalibur evolves at level 54 rather than 64, what a world.
Some pokemon I though would evolve by level, actually evolve by stone! Capsakid & Tadbulb I figured would be like mid twenties to early thirties and I never in a million years expected Cetoddle to be anything other than a gruel mid 40s evolution.

How refreshing.

The only ones that landed higher than I thought were Varoom at level 40 & Finizen at level 38 (+ Co-Op). And even then I can still kind of "feel" it; Varoom's a little bit of a weird line, has that chunky feel to it and Finizen probably has a high level so you cant just pick up an effective 650 within a stone's throw of picking it up.

I just tried it with Focus Sash and it came back in a wild battle (video), so that's pretty convenient. This gamefaqs thread also suggests other items are the same way.
That sounds about right.

I had a bit of a mindscrew the other day when a friend with the "pre-release special edition" of the game streamed his Booster Energy activating every single battle. I figured this thread had it wrong that Booster Energy was consumable, but a mechanical change in the way consumables are handled would better explain the discrepancy.

I think berries are an exception though—my Chesto Berries have been disappearing on use and getting Plucked/Incinerated like normal.

Honestly, this is a good change, there was never any reason to use the consumable items in-game before since they were either limited or expensive.
Does this mean giving a Pokémon a Sitrus Berry to hold makes it infinitely reusable, but selecting it from the bag is a one time use only?

Do we know at what point IVs are created for a pokemon? I know for Gimmighoul, IVs are created at begining of battle bc I was able to SR in front of a chest until I got 0 Attack IV.

But is this true for the rest? I know you can save in front of a shiny and it'll still be shiny if you SR, so does that mean IVs are set when the pokemon spawns in for over world Pokémon?

I ask bc I'm trying to catch Flutter Mane with 0 Attack IV in a Luxury Ball and I'd rather not have to waste tons of expensive Luxury Balls in the process of I can just save in front of one and just SR until I get 0 Attack IV.

Last edited:
I haven't beaten the game yet but I finally evolved a Bisharp yesterday. Initially it wouldn't evolve after I beat three leader Bisharp holding a Leader's Crest and leveled up, and I'm not exactly sure why. I was using Thief to make sure the Bisharp I was fighting actually had the crest. Maybe removing the crest before defeating them prevents the evolution condition from being fulfilled?

That, or your Bisharp does have to hold a Leader's Crest, even though I've seen a number of posts saying otherwise. I equipped it just in case, and it evolved after doing that (I had stopped using Thief at this point)

Last edited:

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I haven't beaten the game yet but I finally evolved a Bisharp yesterday. Initially it wouldn't evolve after I beat three leader Bisharp holding a Leader's Crest and leveled up, and I'm not exactly sure why. I was using Thief to make sure the Bisharp I was fighting actually had the crest. Maybe removing the crest before defeating them prevents the evolution condition from being fulfilled?

That, or your Bisharp does have to hold a Leader's Crest, even though I've seen a number of posts saying otherwise. I equipped it just in case, and it evolved after doing that (I had stopped using Thief at this point)
You don't need the wild Bisharp to hold the Crest, just for them to be a "boss" (they need to lead a bunch of Pawniard).

You don't need the wild Bisharp to hold the Crest, just for them to be a "boss" (they need to lead a bunch of Pawniard).
I mean the boss Bisharp hold the crest at 100% ranking, so if newseeds was removing the crests but not triggering the evolution that could be an actual issue. The game might be looking for the crest in order to differentiate the Bisharps since internally that's probably the only difference.

I mean the boss Bisharp hold the crest at 100% ranking, so if newseeds was removing the crests but not triggering the evolution that could be an actual issue. The game might be looking for the crest in order to differentiate the Bisharps since internally that's probably the only difference.
Yeah, this is my guess but I wasn't sure if anyone had more info about it. The only other wrinkle I can think of is that my Bisharp leveled up when it beat the third leader Bisharp, and maybe the level up has to be triggered separately. I doubt that though. It would be really weird for it to work that way.

I have noticed some info online about the new evolutions being wrong/inconsistent. I read a few sources saying Primeape and Finizen can evolve without leveling up when they've finished a battle, but my experience evolving both was that they actually have to level up after meeting the requirements. Which is kind of funny, because my Girafarig and Dunsparce evolved the instant they learned their new moves

Items held by wild pokemon are not consumed anymore when used. Though, there's only like maybe 5 items total you can actually get from wild mons, two of which aren't even consumable (Light Ball and the Bisharp evo item), but the notable one is the Booster Energy which has a 5% chance to be equipped on wild Paradoxes.....
....which will use it as soon as it's activated.
Yet if you catch the pokemon, it'll still have it, so i assume also if you steal it.
I remember seeing footage of a wild Paradox Pokémon with Booster Energy and thinking, Wait what?
Good to know you can actually keep the Booster Energy and not just have to fight a significantly beefed-up Paradox for no extra reward.

Do we know at what point IVs are created for a pokemon? I know for Gimmighoul, IVs are created at begining of battle bc I was able to SR in front of a chest until I got 0 Attack IV.
IVs are generally created when a Pokémon spawns with a few exceptions. The only encounters you can reset IVs for are the Treasures of Ruin and Gimmighoul, since they're treated as static encounters. The ex-Titans and box legendaries have fixed IV spreads of 30 and 31 respectively, but I *think* you can reset for natures if you want. I would go check but am trying to avoid story spoilers for the box legendary battle...

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Why would you make a sidequest that requires a 2% drop from a select number of 5-6* raids

Why would you make Gholdengo take 999 coins and then use all of them. I mean I know the lore is it is made of the coins, but that's jsut...so many if you want more than one for whatever reason.
Why would you make Gholdengo

That's it, that's the question. Just... why.

Why would you make a sidequest that requires a 2% drop from a select number of 5-6* raids

Why would you make Gholdengo take 999 coins and then use all of them. I mean I know the lore is it is made of the coins, but that's jsut...so many if you want more than one for whatever reason.
I think it's abundantly clear that GF's idea of content is to "make it take longer". Need more Apriballs? Grind for that 1% chance of them dropping from the Cram-o-matic. Need a specific TR? Only drops from a specific den and only a few mons in said den, and only rare type. Need questing? Make it something boring that requires you to walk across the entire map several times. Total game time is now at 30 hours, and so game is good.

To be fair to GF, it's quite understandable to default to that. Having designed a lot of quests myself, it takes a lot of effort to make content engaging and meaningful such that the player wants to interact with it. It's far easier to do something basic like "collect X, kill Y, go to Z" at varying levels of difficulty. And, players might be bored out of their minds but they're probably going to be able to follow/do it without much struggle, so you don't have to be worried about comprehension. Combine that with GF's tight development cycle, low staff, and juggling the creative inputs of various leads, and it's understandable. Though, not excusable - I have one brain cell so if I can do it, so can GF:smogduck:.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)