SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Man I can't wait for his spirit to be broken once the DLC drops and we find out
AI Sada didn't travel to the past but just vanished into the void
I wouldn't be so sure about that because:

In the Scarlet/Violet Book entry "A Phantom Memory", Heath mentions having met a strange person in an "unfamiliar", dream-like place while exploring Area Zero, and writing down some sciencey diagrams that wouldn't look out of place in Sada/Turo's lab. So maybe AI Sada/Turo managed to go to whatever imagined past/future space the third Legendary inhabits after all. Could be an interesting setting for the DLC.

Could also be that Heath was brought to the "present" and spoke with AI Sada/Turo in their own lab, but I don't really recall reading anything that could suggest this to be the case when exploring Area Zero. It would also mess with the idea that the Time Machine is "imaginary" and sends people to an "imagined world" as opposed to a real past or future.

Honestly just getting a random Iron Hands and speccing it correctly is enough.

If you're on scarlet, another option is just leveling a defensive mon like Umbreon or Scream Tail and play support.
Prankster Grimmsnarl with fake tears and screens is also pretty comfy to use.

Also worth mentioning that while the raid shield blocks status moves, it won't stop stat drops from attacks that do damage, so Snarl / Spirit Break / Chilling Water are great tools on supportive mons
I have Violet version and I will be getting a Iron Hands. Not sure what the build would be though. Adamant, max health and attack? I saw something about it's health being really high though so maybe the EV's would be better spent elsewhere.

I wouldn't be so sure about that because:

In the Scarlet/Violet Book entry "A Phantom Memory", Heath mentions having met a strange person while exploring Area Zero and writing down some sciencey diagrams that wouldn't look out of place in Sada/Turo's lab. So maybe AI Sada/Turo managed to go to whatever imagined past/future space the third Legendary inhabits after all. Could be an interesting setting for the DLC.

Could also be that Heath was brought to the "present" and spoke with AI Sada/Turo in their own lab, but I don't really recall reading anything that could suggest this to be the case when exploring Area Zero. It would also mess with the idea that the Time Machine is "imaginary" and sends people to an "imagined world" as opposed to a real past or future.
The thing about that entry was he called it a Phantom Memory for a reason: he spoke of it like a dream, he was in a place he did not recognize speaking with someone and had no recollection of writing the diagrams he had on his person (in his hand writing, to be clear) when he reunited with the crew after being found unconscious.

That doesn't sound like stumbling into the AI before it collapsed, but it also doesn't line up with any of the notes we see in the present of Heath coming forward.

I do think it's not off the table that the Time Machine might function in some capacity, in the story thread I put forth the idea that it might have been grabbing the paradoxes from Area Zero 200 years ago, but we're definitely missing some extra context to both it and the legendary's ful power.

The thing about that entry was he called it a Phantom Memory for a reason: he spoke of it like a dream, he was in a place he did not recognize speaking with someone and had no recollection of writing the diagrams he had on his person (in his hand writing, to be clear) when he reunited with the crew after being found unconscious.

That doesn't sound like stumbling into the AI before it collapsed, but it also doesn't line up with any of the notes we see in the present of Heath coming forward.

I do think it's not off the table that the Time Machine might function in some capacity, in the story thread I put forth the idea that it might have been grabbing the paradoxes from Area Zero 200 years ago, but we're definitely missing some extra context to both it and the legendary's ful power.
My interpretation was less that Heath stumbled upon the AI before it collapsed, and that he stumbled upon the AI after it had been living in that "other world" for some time and was possibly back up to proper functioning. There is definitely some time or alternate reality shenanigans going on, as otherwise the story as a whole would only make sense in Scarlet and not Violet.

Going back to the entry itself, I think we have no choice but to conclude that the events of that "dream" actually happened because Heath wrote down something he learned from the "dream" and published it in the book. Since it doesn't seem to play into the base game's main story at all, I suspect that the diagrams he drew will play into the DLC story. Maybe its a message from AI Sada/Turo to us in the present, and this information is going to be used to allow us to reach them in the "imagined past/future".

I do agree though that we can't really rule out real time travel just yet, but I think the postgame dialogue and the other entries in the Scarlet/Violet Book lean very heavily into the "imagined past/future" interpretation. We'll have to wait for more details about the leaked DLC to be sure though.

So, uh, interesting addendum to the Gimmighoul thing, apparently Ditto drops the appropriate materials for whatever it's transformed into when caught (and probably also when ko'd).
I just found this out when I caught a Ditto transformed into my Jumpluff and it dropped 4 Hoppip Leaves.

So you could potentially grind Gimmighoul Coins by having Dittos transform into your Gimmighoul and KOing them. Also, for someone that has a Gholdengo, I'm curious how many coins you'd get for defeating a Ditto transformed into that?

So, uh, interesting addendum to the Gimmighoul thing, apparently Ditto drops the appropriate materials for whatever it's transformed into when caught (and probably also when ko'd).
I just found this out when I caught a Ditto transformed into my Jumpluff and it dropped 4 Hoppip Leaves.

So you could potentially grind Gimmighoul Coins by having Dittos transform into your Gimmighoul and KOing them. Also, for someone that has a Gholdengo, I'm curious how many coins you'd get for defeating a Ditto transformed into that?
So uh, just a casual experiment:
  • Transform doesn't work on Gholdengo because of Good As Gold
  • KOing (or capturing) a Ditto transformed into a Gimmighoul doesn't seem to drop anything, but I'm not sure if I'm just unlucky.
Guess they really thought of everything.

Last edited:
Roaming Gimmighoul have a high enough chance of respawning that I think, even if you could grind Ditto, that would probably be slower than just checking for them and the chests

I don't think what they did with Gimmighoul was good, but I haven't beaten the game yet and have gathered enough coins for two Gholdengos. So it's at least not as bad as it could have been

My interpretation was less that Heath stumbled upon the AI before it collapsed, and that he stumbled upon the AI after it had been living in that "other world" for some time and was possibly back up to proper functioning. There is definitely some time or alternate reality shenanigans going on, as otherwise the story as a whole would only make sense in Scarlet and not Violet.

Going back to the entry itself, I think we have no choice but to conclude that the events of that "dream" actually happened because Heath wrote down something he learned from the "dream" and published it in the book. Since it doesn't seem to play into the base game's main story at all, I suspect that the diagrams he drew will play into the DLC story. Maybe its a message from AI Sada/Turo to us in the present, and this information is going to be used to allow us to reach them in the "imagined past/future".

I do agree though that we can't really rule out real time travel just yet, but I think the postgame dialogue and the other entries in the Scarlet/Violet Book lean very heavily into the "imagined past/future" interpretation. We'll have to wait for more details about the leaked DLC to be sure though.
Oh ok ok I get you now, I misread your initial thing. So basically you think the AI went to some imagined world (perhaps the legend's "dream" if we want to really put on our conspiracy caps), and Heath stumbled into it. I can see that.

Incidentally I just went down to the lab to see if any of the diagrams lined up with his drawings and they don't really line up with the drawing; also many unique textures down here!

I think I might do a post just trying to gather all the dialog and book entries and tabloids and dex entries and stuff. Even if the end result is just "imagination" or hell "time travel super real" I think it's all really fun to see how it might link together

Also From what I've noticed: the symbols around the box (also found in the scarlet book's page corners) are interesting. Before release we thought it was probably meant to align with the Quartet (since we knew from Khu they were linked up with items), but now that the game's out we know its not. The upper left symbol lines up with the plate, but I think the other 3 don't line up with anything as directly though the diagram in the Phantom Memory entry kind of sort of resembles the lower left.

I kind of think that DLC is going to have us go down the other hanger from the initial drop point and we're going to do something with all the weird plates and symboles. It's the easiest way to have a whole extra area without going off map, and Area Zero being twice as big makes sense

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Question: In SWSH, by the end of the DLC wave did the in-game ability search still list stuff that wasn't usable by anything in-game? Like Aerilate and stuff

This is relevant in regards to SV's version adding in the Primal abilities

Question: In SWSH, by the end of the DLC wave did the in-game ability search still list stuff that wasn't usable by anything in-game? Like Aerilate and stuff

This is relevant in regards to SV's version adding in the Primal abilities
We went through this back when we were getting this stuff; I believe the answer is no, it ONLY showed abilities that were hypothetically possible to get. At the very least it absolutely didn't list things like Neuroforce or Primordial Sea
In contrast to here, where all abilities are seemingly present, even ones that are attached to Pokemon who aren't even in the game. The primals are the obvious ones that get everyone looking but it is everything.

If you have a picnic does that automatically unlock affection bonuses/unlock the 160 friendship cap that would lead to affection bonuses, or are picnics the only way to raise it past the 160 cap? I have a Hattrem I want to teach Mystical Fire to through a picnic but don't want to deal with affection.

If you have a picnic does that automatically unlock affection bonuses/unlock the 160 friendship cap that would lead to affection bonuses, or are picnics the only way to raise it past the 160 cap? I have a Hattrem I want to teach Mystical Fire to through a picnic but don't want to deal with affection.
As long as you're not actually using sandwitches or washing, the picnic doesn't seem like having any effect on affection per se.

I've done a simple set up -> wait 5 seconds -> remove picnic to pass egg moves a few times during the story, and none of my pokes gained the affection bonuses, not even my starter (which did get itself a egg move as well)

As long as you're not actually using sandwitches or washing, the picnic doesn't seem like having any effect on affection per se.

I've done a simple set up -> wait 5 seconds -> remove picnic to pass egg moves a few times during the story, and none of my pokes gained the affection bonuses, not even my starter (which did get itself a egg move as well)
Excellent news, thanks!

Unfortunately some of those sandwiches are great though and with some of mine affection has already happened although through the story I never encountered it.

Unfortunately some of those sandwiches are great though and with some of mine affection has already happened although through the story I never encountered it.
To be fair there's nothing you should really want to use sandwitches for during the story.

And postgame is whatever, it's not like there's anything remotely challenging left at that point so affection bonuses are kind of irrelevant then.
For what matters, Egg Power is basically a must for breeding, and Encounter Power is basically mandatory if you want to shiny hunt manually, but if you're doing either of these you're way past the point of caring about affection bonuses so...

To be fair there's nothing you should really want to use sandwitches for during the story.

And postgame is whatever, it's not like there's anything remotely challenging left at that point so affection bonuses are kind of irrelevant then.
For what matters, Egg Power is basically a must for breeding, and Encounter Power is basically mandatory if you want to shiny hunt manually, but if you're doing either of these you're way past the point of caring about affection bonuses so...
I was using them for breeding because I got the other starters and multiplied them for friends. I also used them for encounter powers. And I did this all early on.

You can do it. Don't worry.

I'm pretty sure only the shower thing/picnic-made sandwiches break the cap.

It's unfortunate, because you can make some truly fucked up sandwiches like Noodles and Vinegar sandwiches. :totodiLUL:

I have Violet version and I will be getting a Iron Hands. Not sure what the build would be though. Adamant, max health and attack? I saw something about it's health being really high though so maybe the EV's would be better spent elsewhere.
I'm a bit late to respond do this, but tbh just adamant 252 hp 252 atk is fine. You're going to get outsped anyway by a lot of the actually threatening raids, and adding spdef isnt really going to do much when you can't guarantee you fight special oriented mons anyway (+, lot of raids have both special and phisical attacks).

A simple drain punch / CC / thunder punch / belly drum set is all you really need. Item you can go booster energy, sitrus or pinch berry, shell bell, lefties, even magnet or belt if you feelink frisky.

Just do yourself a favour, don't use Wild Charge, don't give your pokemon a self-destruct button...

You can use store bought sandwiches without raising affection

source: me i did all that testing i posted about it here do you know how long it takes to eat 40 god damn ice creams

Alright so quuck recap of some new changes to the system:
-The "cap" is now 160, not 179.
-Your first affection bonuses dont go into effect until you reach 180, where you gain the 10% chance to survive a KO
-More obvious effects happen once you hit 200

Serebii notes that you only increase affection past the cap with sandwiches made in the picnics and washing them also at picnics. Let's see how true this is!

So since the first affection bonus is basically impossible to test out, i'm just going to do shit until I hit 200. Lucky for me, this also has a happiness checker benchmark
I'm using my in game team for this since they're all probably capped.

TEST ONE - Store bought food
Now honestly I wanted to do this in a more fancy way where I just literally eat sandwiches (i have an assumption this gives more happiness than ice cream) but there's an ice cream cart RIGHT NEXT to the happiness checker so guess what. Laziness wins.
10 ice creams - no difference. I wish the animation could be skipped.
20 ice creams - no difference. So if it does give happiness it's not +2
30 ice creams - no difference. Honestly even if this does eventually break the cap the fact you can have 30 entire ice creams from capped happiness means you could easily have some throughout your playthrough and never care about it
40 ice creams - I stopped here because my assumption is if it gives happiness, it is a minimum of +1. I've never seen something like a +0.5 and even if i did that would mean you could have 80 (!!!!!!) entire ice creams.

Conclusion: Store bought food does not break the cap. I uh. Realize I should have grabbed a Chansey and seen if it gives happiness AT ALL. OOPS

TEST TWO - Let's Go
Walking in Gen 8 SKYROCKETED happiness and absolutely broke the cap no matter what bulbapedia says. And judging by eggs, the Step system might be a little different than "literal" steps. Regardless my testing for this will be simple. I will walk from our house all the way to the water town with a Pokemon by my side
That pokemon will be Chansey. I will feed it a Rare Candy periodically to see if it gains ANY happiness out of this. I will also be throwing it at pokemon since that's a reason you'd want to use this feature beyond seeing your pokemon fall behind.

Light House Check in - didn't evolve.
Mesagoza Check In - Didn't evolve. Really wishing that pokemon followed you faster so i didn't have to just walk at a snail's pace so the auto catch up doesnt happen. The data!!
Cortondo Check In - Chansey evolved! So Let's Go absolutely does give extra happiness than just walking around normally. For reference at this point this means Chansey went from 140 to 160. So we should be at the cap. Expected, but we'll see what happens when I get to the happiness checker
West Province Pokemon Center Check in - YALL DO YOU REALIZ EHOW LONG THIS ENTIRE SEGMENT OF THE REGION ACTUALLY IS GOOD LORD
Cascarrafa: FINALLY OH MY GOD

The Happiness checker only gave the standard, pre-200 message.

Conclusion: now. Listen. It's fully possible that if I kept walking around the region, this would change. But I walked a lot and the distance between Cortondo and Cascarrafa is far longer than the house and Cortondo if only because of the winding trail.

if someone wants to use Let's Go around the entire region, please, be my guest. But my resources are wasted and my game is starting to freak out, so for now I am giving a tenative result of "Let's Go following & sending it against pokemon does NOT break the cap".
Look you can even walk around the entire region with your little dudes this time

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to respond do this, but tbh just adamant 252 hp 252 atk is fine. You're going to get outsped anyway by a lot of the actually threatening raids, and adding spdef isnt really going to do much when you can't guarantee you fight special oriented mons anyway (+, lot of raids have both special and phisical attacks).

A simple drain punch / CC / thunder punch / belly drum set is all you really need. Item you can go booster energy, sitrus or pinch berry, shell bell, lefties, even magnet or belt if you feelink frisky.

Just do yourself a favour, don't use Wild Charge, don't give your pokemon a self-destruct button...
IMO max spdef is better than max hp (unless you wanna have like a pure physdef one) since iron hands’s hp and defense are already so high and it’s spdef is so low that max spdef investment gets your defenses almost equal and you’re able to take any neutral attack

You can do it. Don't worry.

I'm pretty sure only the shower thing/picnic-made sandwiches break the cap.

It's unfortunate, because you can make some truly fucked up sandwiches like Noodles and Vinegar sandwiches. :totodiLUL:
I considered making a sandwich to help me find Glimmet but then I thought about affection and decided, no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)