Resource Scarlet & Violet BSS Discussion

Okay, so I did only like two tests with theorymon but something left an impression already. You know how underwhelming it feels to smack into Tyranitar with a special move? Get ready to feel that a lot with fat ice-type Pokemon. I know this sounds insanely obvious, but it's one of those things that actually hits harder once you actually play with a bit.

Slowking + Ice-Types should catch some attention from people early on I feel. It feels like super nice low ladder clearing stuff. Things just get fat under snow. Stuff like Slowking + DD Baxcalibur might be a legitimate combo, especially give their solid nice defensive synergy with one another (Bax catches water's weaknesses, Slowking catches fighting). Obviously Cetitan deserves mention, and is suprisingly fat just off it's huge HP and snow buffs.

Okay, so I did only like two tests with theorymon but something left an impression already. You know how underwhelming it feels to smack into Tyranitar with a special move? Get ready to feel that a lot with fat ice-type Pokemon. I know this sounds insanely obvious, but it's one of those things that actually hits harder once you actually play with a bit.

Slowking + Ice-Types should catch some attention from people early on I feel. It feels like super nice low ladder clearing stuff. Things just get fat under snow. Stuff like Slowking + DD Baxcalibur might be a legitimate combo, especially give their solid nice defensive synergy with one another (Bax catches water's weaknesses, Slowking catches fighting). Obviously Cetitan deserves mention, and is suprisingly fat just off it's huge HP and snow buffs.
A few pointers, did we every figure out where slowking can learn chilly reception?

Also, I think we also have to discuss which slowking will be the better for hail teams, when galarian slowking gets released

Thank you!

Normal Tera Dragonite with Rocky Helmet has been a super good core mon so I've been running a team with that. Experimenting around with Iron Hands at the moment

Flutter Mane was a really good offensive option at first but at the current state of the meta I feel its not as good so I've taken it out

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So big news about Protosynthesis and Quark Drive

Turns out, it boosts a stat by 30% UNLESS its Speed, which gets boosted by 50%.

This might tank using Booster Energy for offensive stats lol, might as well use them for either defensive stats or Speed at this point. For Roaring Moon in particular, it might be best to lower its Attack EVs a bit so it can get a Speed boost, because if you want an offensive boost, might as well use Life Orb unless you're strapped for item slots!

DerpySuX

its hard to breathe but thats alright
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
I feel like it’ll still have some usage. Personally not having to deal with LO recoil is nice enough to consider, especially on something like Roaring Moon, who wants to set up. I can definitely see things like Iron Moth switching over to LO though. Interesting discovery.

Dragonite finally got a non 2-turn Flying STAB last gen and a Dragon STAB that doesn't lock -- and she immediately lost both. Normal Tera Extreme Speed gaming it is

DerpySuX

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Since this is the new SV BSS thread I’ll just make the note that I did an early metagame analysis post about what mons you should look out for, I’ll leave that here just in case anyone wants to read it. I’ll probably post another threat list once the meta develops to the point where it is warranted.

Lumina Crash was almost disgusting to me in game, strong move. U didn't know at the time, but it's base 80! 2x Acid Spray's BP. Idk if it's ridiculous given Espathra's stats, but is that Mon viable? Screens, Speed Boost, baton pass seems ok maybe.

Omg cool! I am planning to use scream tail, but mine is T-Wave+rocks. Hm, what's better? Would hate to have to get and train a new one, esp cuz had to trade I have violet.

Anyone have good EVs on Clodsire? Just looking for bulk, nvm Atk. Does it have pink blob syndrome, where the gap between base HP and the base defenses is big enough you can use 4/252/252? Whatever I do thinking careful nature.

EDIT: Using Grassy Terrain so what 1 attack Poison Jab only can leave me helpless, but I really want Yawn/Counter/Recover.

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
So since this is supposed to be based on the Battle Stadium and Smogon aims to accurately replicate cartridge play including bugs, even if it ruins metas (RBY OU and Gen 8 PH come to mind)…

what are we planning to do about this?

Last edited:
Anyone have good EVs on Clodsire? Just looking for bulk, nvm Atk. Does it have pink blob syndrome, where the gap between base HP and the base defenses is big enough you can use 4/252/252? Whatever I do thinking careful nature.

EDIT: Using Grassy Terrain so what 1 attack Poison Jab only can leave me helpless, but I really want Yawn/Counter/Recover.
Clodsire from what I have seen of sets is careful 248 hp, 252 Sp. defence, 4 atk/defense.

Ty! Evs are real tricky, do you have anything for Iron Hnads? Def want to use, and max Atk. Max SpD, or HP? Or somewhere in the middle?
I also saw from some videos max hp, max attack adamant with curse but I don't know how good that will really be. There's a few videos showing people quitting against such a thing but those are in niche circumstances and also 6v6 and technically you could do the same with a special defensive set and be bulkier.

For Iron Hands I'm not sure. Over on one of the threads people were discussing max attack max special defense since it's base health and defense are so high. Usually used with a assault vest.

I also saw from some videos max hp, max attack adamant with curse but I don't know how good that will really be. There's a few videos showing people quitting against such a thing but those are in niche circumstances and also 6v6 and technically you could do the same with a special defensive set and be bulkier.

For Iron Hands I'm not sure. Over on one of the threads people were discussing max attack max special defense since it's base health and defense are so high. Usually used with a assault vest.
That's what I thought, will do max SpD thanks. I'd love to av it certainly, but I have av on a different Mon. Hear me out, Alomomola. Wish pass is slow even if it is the biggest wish around. I'm using Liquidation(EVs to ohko 4/0 Chi-yu, I have a weakness)/Mirror coat/ Play rough/ Tera Blast(fire.)

If you think iron hands uses av better I can re-think defensive EVs on mola. If not, what item on hands? Was thinking weakness policy. But I have lefties and expert belt free too

DerpySuX

Since the official console ladder starts soon, I figured I’d make another threat list, given that we’ve had a good couple weeks to figure the game out. So here we go

This isn’t in order by any means, though in a broad sense, you can say that mons closer to the top of the list are more consistent than those lower down.

NOTABLE THREATS
:chi-yu: - big scary special attacker. Beads of Ruin is pretty nuts, potentially allowing it to blast through blissey and other big SpD mons. Speed tier isn’t too bad either, and STAB combo is pretty crazy.

:Iron-Bundle: - robo santa is a great cleaner. Freeze Dry + Hydro is a completely unresisted STAB combo, and high speed in tandem with quark drive allows it to clean up hard. Auxiliary options such as encore can help you position better and secure wins more consistently. Great Pokémon for a lot of teams to have

:breloom: - Spore is nuts for shutting down tons of stuff and Loom’s STAB combo makes it incredibly consistent at denying sleep blockers. Bulldoze has been seeing use to punish gholdengo trying to grab a free switch, and Mach Punch is devastating as ever. Phenominal Pokémon that fits on almost any offensive team.

:chien-pao: - probably the best anti stall mon we have ever seen. Phenominal STAB combo, good speed, swords dance, and Sword of Ruin lowering defenses upon switch in makes it nearly impossible to wall. Not as effective against offense, as Breloom and Mimikyu do give it some trouble with sash and disguise respectively. Still, as part of an anti defense core, Chien-Pao is incredibly effective.

:Gholdengo: - Any non attacking moves aimed at this Pokémon will fail, and that’s really all you need to know about this thing. However, it also has an incredible typing, great SpA, usable Speed and surprisingly good bulk. Gholdengo has made a name for itself as quite possibly the most splashable Pokémon in Scarlet and Violet. Make it Rain is also a very good signature move, dealing high damage and allowing Gholdengo to clean up relatively consistently. On top of that, various sets and items allow it to be customized to your liking. Almost as easily fit as Lando-T in previous gens, and very user friendly.

:Mimikyu: - Very versatile and user friendly. Disguise is an incredible ability to ensure you get at least one turn to do something, barring any type of multi hit moves that might break through its disguise. The advent of Loaded Dice make this something you do actually need to worry about, especially against Pokémon like Baxcalibur or Breloom, though Mimikyu can outspeed them. Despite necessitating more cautious play, Mimikyu still has incredible potential when wielded intelligently.

:Flutter-mane: - possibly the best cleanup artist in the game. Great STAB combo, good SpA and Speed, and surprisingly resilient on the special side. Good typing allows it to be used earlier in the game as well, coming in on common priority moves such as Mach Punch and Extreme Speed.

:Dragapult: - he fast

:scizor: - quite the revenge killer. Technician bullet punch allows it to be very threatening despite its lackluster speed. It’s main drawback is that a lot of its targets know that they will be targeted and as such can prep for it, either with substitute or a tera that resists steel. Fire being common to both roast scizor and eat the bullet punch in one go. Still, even with this in mind, scizor is quite the threat if utilized properly.

:wo-chien: :ting-lu: - both of these mons are incredible defensive presences. They both serve somewhat similar roles on teams as a blanket check to most common offensive threats. Ting-Lu offers better special resilience while Wo-Chien provides the ever infuriating subseed combo and an immunity to spore thanks to its grass typing.

:Amoonguss: - basically the fatter counterpart to Breloom, better resilience and access to a recovery move allows it to threaten spore more consistently, however you pay for this with lowered speed and naught offensive presence, meaning Amoonguss is very often taunt fodder. Still, it can prove exceedingly difficult for some teams to take down, especially if they lack a taunt user.

:roaring-moon: - the premier dragon dance sweeper imo. While it’s typing is less than ideal for a metagame with breloom and Mimikyu so common, well timed use of terrastallizatuon can help with this. Despite these shortcomings, it can be one of the scariest pokes to face when used properly.

:garganacl: - the salt king is quite possibly the best checkmate button we have ever seen. While it requires some maneuvering to get the most out of, once set up, it can genuinely become impossible for some teams to beat. Very much worth it for certain team comps

:glimmora: - quite possibly the most consistent hazard setter we have ever seen. While only physical attacks will activate Toxic Debris, the metagame is very largely physical. Glimmora also has the tools to ward off most special attackers, so most teams will have to eventually hit it with a physical attack, and set toxic spikes for you. It also possesses a considerable offensive profile, despite having low speed. Not the easiest mon to use, but very useful nonetheless.

:Meowscarada: - surprisingly consistent despite the typing, flower trick is absurdly powerful, especially when backed by choice band and/or grass tera. It’s auxiliary moves in knock off, sucker punch, u turn and play rough are all quite valuable as well. It absolutely destroys most screens offense teams, and aside from Amoonguss, most defensive pokes are very hesitant to switch into it.

That’s it for now. Quite a list, but there are other mons to watch out for as well. I believe the ones listed above, however, are the big ones to look out for, and keep in mind while teambuilding.​

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
So since this is supposed to be based on the Battle Stadium and Smogon aims to accurately replicate cartridge play including bugs, even if it ruins metas (RBY OU and Gen 8 PH come to mind)…

what are we planning to do about this?
No, I’m serious about this. What are we doing about it? It’s kind of a gigantic major problem that everyone seems to be collectively ignoring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)