Metagame Scalemons

Ok I wanted to bring to attention the issue of stat overflow
Stat overflow is when a non stat hits 655 it gets reset to 0 and since that damage calculation divides by defense it makes all attacks do almost no damage to the stat that is overflowed, there is no pokemon that can have both stats overflowed because it requires you to have a nature boosting the defense you want overflowed but it is still extremely broken.
There are 3 pokemon that can abuse stat overflow but these 3 pokemon will break the meta if allowed

:SS/Shuckle:
Shuckle.PNG

Shuckle is the most broken abuser of stat overflow in this metagame, it has the ability to choose which stat it wants to overflow so it can go either physical or special. It can wall anything in the entire metagame and has access to rocks and infestation+toxic is quite broken on something that can't take damage.

:SS/Happiny:
Happiny.PNG

Unlike shuckle happiny only gets the choice of stat overflow in special defense, however this isn't really that bad as it can be paired with shuckle or onix to cover it's weak defense stat. Happiny also gets access to natural cure and heal bell which makes it an amazing cleric as well

:SS/Onix:
onix.PNG

Onix is the last abuser of stat overflow, with its defense stat already at 0 weak armor has no side effects which makes onix incedible with an already solid speed, although its hp and spdef are low it can get around that by pairing with happiny and shuckle. Thus I believe that almost every team will consist of shuckle + happiny + onix if noting is done about stat overflow

To show how broken stat overflow is here is onix beating a dracovish: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1331272618-1z8xc5rcaupaeyihabnay2s986s5kdwpw

I personally think that the 3 pokemon listed should be banned but a stat overflow mod that prevents stat overflow would also work. Either way I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed.

dhelmise

everything is embarrassing
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Ok I wanted to bring to attention the issue of stat overflow
Stat overflow is when a non stat hits 655 it gets reset to 0 and since that damage calculation divides by defense it makes all attacks do almost no damage to the stat that is overflowed, there is no pokemon that can have both stats overflowed because it requires you to have a nature boosting the defense you want overflowed but it is still extremely broken.
There are 3 pokemon that can abuse stat overflow but these 3 pokemon will break the meta if allowed

:SS/Shuckle:
View attachment 336845

Shuckle is the most broken abuser of stat overflow in this metagame, it has the ability to choose which stat it wants to overflow so it can go either physical or special. It can wall anything in the entire metagame and has access to rocks and infestation+toxic is quite broken on something that can't take damage.

:SS/Happiny:
View attachment 336853

Unlike shuckle happiny only gets the choice of stat overflow in special defense, however this isn't really that bad as it can be paired with shuckle or onix to cover it's weak defense stat. Happiny also gets access to natural cure and heal bell which makes it an amazing cleric as well

:SS/Onix:
View attachment 336854
Onix is the last abuser of stat overflow, with its defense stat already at 0 weak armor has no side effects which makes onix incedible with an already solid speed, although its hp and spdef are low it can get around that by pairing with happiny and shuckle. Thus I believe that almost every team will consist of shuckle + happiny + onix if noting is done about stat overflow

To show how broken stat overflow is here is onix beating a dracovish: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ubers-1331272618-1z8xc5rcaupaeyihabnay2s986s5kdwpw

I personally think that the 3 pokemon listed should be banned but a stat overflow mod that prevents stat overflow would also work. Either way I think this is an issue that needs to be addressed.
Scalemons has Stat Overflow Mod whenever it exists as a format, so this isn't an issue unless you challenge in Ubers + Scalemons Mod without Stat Overflow Mod.

In gen 1 Scalemons, when scaling Special, only Special Attack is scaled; Special Defense remains the same. We would expect both base stats to be scaled together.

Example replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1randombattle-1697821297

In turn 8, Dewgong's Blizzard did 90.4% (225/249) to Tangela. These are the damage calcs:
No Scalemons: Lvl 74 Dewgong Blizzard vs. Lvl 74 Tangela: 188-222 (75.5 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Only SpA scaled: Lvl 74 Dewgong Blizzard vs. Lvl 74 Tangela: 221-260 (88.7 - 104.4%) -- 28.2% chance to OHKO
SpA and SpD scaled: Lvl 74 Dewgong Blizzard vs. Lvl 74 Tangela: 185-218 (74.2 - 87.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

edit: this was originally a bug report, looking for confirmation that this is a bug
edit 2: bug has been fixed

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)