Sandygast, Palossand Discussion

Maybe with a Amnesia set?
Nah.

Passho Berry can be the item for it, to suvive a water attack and get the boost. Shore Up/Earth Power/Shadow Ball/Filler with Passho Berry, funny enough to use against Azumarill or something like that.

Maybe with a Amnesia set?
Nah.

Passho Berry can be the item for it, to suvive a water attack and get the boost. Shore Up/Earth Power/Shadow Ball/Filler with Passho Berry, funny enough to use against Azumarill or something like that.
That or Sitrus.

I'd include Giga Drain to help kill enemy water types and recover the damage you just took.

He only excels once all special attacking Pokemon are dead. Making him a strange late game tank thing.

someone in another topic pointed out the idea of weakness policy as a good combo in doubles, hitting with a weak water attack from an ally to give +2 to def, atk, and sp. atk all in one go.

Personally, I like him. Yes, has a special defense weakness, but can be built around, and is one of the few ghosts with built in reliable recovery. Not to mention water physical isn't that uncommon, and will become a bit more common with the other new mons and liquidation.

If you ran calm nature with 252 HP / 4 DEF / 252 SPD with Assault Vest He can tank some water attacks from the special side and the defensive side ok.

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Golurk: 308-366 (80.6 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Scarf Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Golurk: 206-246 (53.9 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Golurk: 218-260 (57 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Assault Vest Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Golurk: 150-176 (39.2 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

but he's still so slow though . . .
With the Azu calcs, are we taking into consideration that after one hit, Palossand's defense will have doubled? It would probably have a chance to Shore Up (without Assault Vest obviously) the next turn and if it was hit with a water move again, absolutely hard wall any non-boosted physical attackers from there.

Hmm... bulk, while not stellar, is somewhat ok so I guess Palossand could carve itself a niche as a Special Attacking Tank with its decent SpA stat, which is something by very few ground-type pokemon possess. Ultimately though, I think it'll fall to the same tier as Gigalith, wherever it may be, due to its newfound ability: Sand Stream. Together they'd both form a pretty solid defensive backbone for bulkier teams in lower tiers, where Tyranitar and Hippowdon aren't a thing.

With the Azu calcs, are we taking into consideration that after one hit, Palossand's defense will have doubled? It would probably have a chance to Shore Up (without Assault Vest obviously) the next turn and if it was hit with a water move again, absolutely hard wall any non-boosted physical attackers from there.
It's probably a 2HKO still, but no, I didn't factor a boost in when I called it a 2HKO

It's probably a 2HKO still, but no, I didn't factor a boost in when I called it a 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. +2 252 HP / 4 Def Palossand: 110-132 (29.4 - 35.2%)

There's a decent chance to survive, and if Palossand rebounded with Shore-Up, it'd be tanky as all hell. In fact, you could probably run a few more defense EVs and block the 2HKO confidently.

Water Compaction is basically a worse version of Stamina...
Basically? Maybe. Technically, no. It's a 2+ stage raise. But the SE requirement sucks.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. +2 252 HP / 4 Def Palossand: 110-132 (29.4 - 35.2%)

There's a decent chance to survive, and if Palossand rebounded with Shore-Up, it'd be tanky as all hell. In fact, you could probably run a few more defense EVs and block the 2HKO confidently.
They wouldnt use Aqua Jet on you though unless you switch into it. Ice Punch is always an option to avoid Water Compaction. Luckily you threaten it back with Giga Drain at least.

Last edited:

I was running Assault Vest Palo so I couldn't do shore up. I thought it was +1 boost, not +2, so my B.

Water Compaction is decent, but 45 SpD means it probably gets nuked by Hydro Pump or Surf, making it useless.
You're looking at Sandygasts SpD, which is 45. Palossand is 75 SpD. Not a ton better, but still. Really, I don't think the point of the ability is for taking special water attacks. I think the best use of this guy is to switch into an Aqua Jet, or a Waterfall/Liquidation from anything not named Azumarill/Araquanid, and start recovering with Shore-Up until you are the physical tank to end all physical tanks.

You're looking at Sandygasts SpD, which is 45. Palossand is 75 SpD. Not a ton better, but still. Really, I don't think the point of the ability is for taking special water attacks. I think the best use of this guy is to switch into an Aqua Jet, or a Waterfall/Liquidation from anything not named Azumarill/Araquanid, and start recovering with Shore-Up until you are the physical tank to end all physical tanks.
You're right, point retracted.

110 defense actually looks pretty good.

Would its HP be high enough to warrant Assault Vest? I feel like it could do pretty well with it.

Would its HP be high enough to warrant Assault Vest? I feel like it could do pretty well with it.
Assault Vest seems like a good option, but then your only form of recovery is Giga Drain. Not necessarily a bad thing, depending on your team, but personally I'd rather use Shore-Up and Leftovers to really push the physical wall aspect of it.

I feel like Chansey/Blissey would be a good partner for Palossand. Palossand eats the physical and Fighting moves that Chansey is scared of, and Chansey eats the Ghost and special Water moves that Palossand is scared of.

If rain activated Water Compaction like Dry Skin he'd be a staple with Drizzle Pelipper and Tapu Koko teams. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)