Samurais and Sealions

Hey guys. I am not going to lie, I am very new to the competitive aspect of pokemon want to build a team that is not mono-type. I checked out all the new generation pokes and one caught my eye: Daikenki. I love this guy and what he's based off of and I decided my first real team would be based off of him. Despite his less than stellar stats, there are ways to use him and have had moderate success, but one poke doesn't make a team, so I built this team to help him.

Lead

Nattorei@ Focus Sash
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Iron Barbs
252 HP/ 16 ATK/ 84 DEF/ 156 SP DEF
Stealth Rock
Power Whip
Thunder Wave
Leech Seed

Nattorei is my first try as a lead and has had some success. His main job is to set up SR and to cripple other stuff with TW and LS while hitting hard with PW. The evs enable him to attack and take a hit. Another reason I picked him was because was because he resists both of Daikenki's weaknesses while remaining neutral to Ground, though I think that putting him in the lead can ruin that support option. His weaknesses to fire and fighting also hurt him, though the next pokemon helps that to an extent.

Spikes and Phazer

Nidoqueen@ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Encourage
252 HP/ 72 DEF/ 184 SP DEF
Toxic Spikes
Roar
Fire Blast
Earth Power

Nidoqueen is one that has surprised me. She can take a mean hit, lay down TS and phase nicely with roar even through Subs. Her poison type helps resist fighting types that would hurt Nattorei and Sazandora and her typing makes her immune to electric and neutral to grass. Encourage boosts her FB and Earth Power can go off STAB as well as Encourage to do some damage. I've been wondering if I should give her Balloon to keep ground types of her, especially doryuzuu.

WOW Jellyfish

Burungeru@ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Water Absorb
252 HP/ 252 DEF/ SP DEF
Will-O-Wisp
Ice Beam
Recover
Surf

Burungeru replaced Desukaan because I realized my team had problems with the rain once I lost Nattorei. Burungeru fortunately has an immunity to water protecting Infernape and Nidoqueen thanks to his ability while also protecting Nattorei and Sazandora from Fighting types through his typing. He also acts as a nice special wall, fulfilling his synergy with Nattorei while also spreading WOW to hinder physical attackers like Garchomp, Terrakion, Doryuzu, Landlos, and a few others. Surf and IB are there to hit back with it's modest 85 SPA stat while recover helps wear down opponents suffering from Burn or poison from Nidoqueen. He's also protected from his weakness by Infernape (Dark and Grass), Nattorei and Sazandora (all four weaknesses), and Nidoqueen (Electric).

Mixed Sweeper

Sazandora@ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
164 ATK/ 92 SPA/ 252 SPE
Ability: Levitate
Earthquake
Flamethrower
U-Turn
Draco Meteor

The Pseudo-Legendary of Gen V. Sazandora has surprised me by how hard he hits and does an okay job going mixed so he won't be walled by Blissey or Snorlax. Levitate helps Queen and Ape by covering their ground weakness if Nattorei is out. Faster dragons are a problem, though TR can help that if the situation ever rose. DM hits hard, FT is for Steels and Grass types that threaten Daikenki, EQ is for coverage.

Iron Fister

Infernape@ Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
4 HP/ 252 ATK/ 252 SPE
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Mach Punch
Close Combat

Infernape is there to add power in priority due thanks to Iron Fist. His typing helps protect Sazandora and Nidoqueen from Ice, Nattorei from Fire, Daikenki from Grass, and Desukan from Dark, though fragile defenses make me worry if switching him in is ever a good thing. Anyway, his move set abuses Iron fist with FR and MP for STAB and the boost from it's ability, TP is for Gyarados and other fragile water and flying pokes, and CC is there to hit stuff extra hard. I'm wondering if I should swap him for Blaziken, though I'll leave that up to you the reader and critic.

And now for the Hero...

Samurai Sealion

Daikenki@ Life Orb
Nature: Adamant
252 HP/ 252 ATK/ 4 SPE
Aqua Jet
Night Slash
Megahorn
Swords Dance

Daikenki, the one I built my team around, is designed to function as a late game sweeper. With a max ATK of 328, after two SD he reaches 1312 and with the Life Orb, he can hit hard with with priority and STAB in Aqua Jet. MH and NS are used to take down the new slow and bulky ghosts and psychic types, like Rankurusu and Burungeru.

I will say it again, I am new folks and you all probably think I am a retard for trying to use Daikenki, but I want to try. If I fail, then oh well, start over from scratch. Constructive criticism is much appreciated and please don't flame. Thank you.

on Nidoqueen replace black sludge with leftovers. If someone tricks away your item, it might seem good at first, but then they'll trick it back onto a member of your team that doesn't want black sludge. Leftovers is better.
Also, replace earthquake with earth power. unlike earthquake, it's boosted by encourage, and is more powerful because of that.
I also don't understand why you run trick room on desukaan. it helps desukaan, but that's about it, and it will end up hurting your other sweepers. I would recommend using a bulkier set.

Run Will-O-Wisp instead of TR on Desukan. Run a Relaxed nature and 0 IV's on Nattorei, to maximise Gyro Ball's power.

Looks to be a good team otherwise. Good luck, and have fun with Gen 5. competetive battling ;p.

on Nidoqueen replace black sludge with leftovers. If someone tricks away your item, it might seem good at first, but then they'll trick it back onto a member of your team that doesn't want black sludge. Leftovers is better.
Also, replace earthquake with earth power. unlike earthquake, it's boosted by encourage, and is more powerful because of that.
I also don't understand why you run trick room on desukaan. it helps desukaan, but that's about it, and it will end up hurting your other sweepers. I would recommend using a bulkier set.
That is very true. I was worried about the super fast meta game and thought TR would help, though now I realize it would hurt Infernape and Sazandora too much. Also, what if I run protect as well, you know to help rack up damage from the toxic spikes or from the burns to pokes immune to them?

Run Will-O-Wisp instead of TR on Desukan. Run a Relaxed nature and 0 IV's on Nattorei, to maximise Gyro Ball's power.

Looks to be a good team otherwise. Good luck, and have fun with Gen 5. competetive battling ;p.
I'll do that. Ty!

I've ran that infernape set before an loved it, but for your samurai I feel Encourage LO Feraligatr would do better. W/ encourage taking away to the LO recoil he also has access to swords dance and has higher attack. Though I think Daikenki has better coverage moves. Consider Leechseed over Gyro ball for natt. Powerwhip hits plenty hard and Leechseed recovery gives him so much survivability. If you really want you could get rid of power whip. I just think you should consider leechseed.

I've ran that infernape set before an loved it, but for your samurai I feel Encourage LO Feraligatr would do better. W/ encourage taking away to the LO recoil he also has access to swords dance and has higher attack. Though I think Daikenki has better coverage moves. Consider Leechseed over Gyro ball for natt. Powerwhip hits plenty hard and Leechseed recovery gives him so much survivability. If you really want you could get rid of power whip. I just think you should consider leechseed.
Leech Seed would work better since I haven't really been using GB all that much. Feraligatr would be good, but the NS and MH are needed to deal with psychics, since they can carry focus blast and shadow ball, which would essentially shut my team down. Also, would it be better to run Blaziken instead of Infernape? You know to baton pass his speed or just to sweep in general?

Leech Seed would work better since I haven't really been using GB all that much. Feraligatr would be good, but the NS and MH are needed to deal with psychics, since they can carry focus blast and shadow ball, which would essentially shut my team down. Also, would it be better to run Blaziken instead of Infernape? You know to baton pass his speed or just to sweep in general?
Feraligatr learns Crunch (which does get the encourage boost) to deal w/ psychics. I personally prefer ape of Blaziken, I just don't care for Blaziken honestly LoL. Ape has better coverage and works as a wall breaker where Blaziken is a sweeper/Bpasser. Also priority overcomes all speed boosts.

Feraligatr learns Crunch (which does get the encourage boost) to deal w/ psychics. I personally prefer ape of Blaziken, I just don't care for Blaziken honestly LoL. Ape has better coverage and works as a wall breaker where Blaziken is a sweeper/Bpasser. Also priority overcomes all speed boosts.
True about priority. I just tried Blaziken and it didn't work. threw the team out of wack. Feraligatr looks good too, but I was hoping to keep Daikenki, since he was the origin for the team and if he was replaced the title would be misleading. lol

I would put blaziken because after a sword dance he wrecks things. He is capabale of sweeping teams if played right. Although infernape has better coverage all you need is one turn to become even more powerful and faster. Natt is already gonna provide the rocks support so Blazwill be in good range to take bulky waters who come in. if prigles fish is sent in you can predict and either switch to heavy D and swords dance as it tries for the burn. (If only he had a special attack stat upping move. ) or keep blazmaster ken and get another sword dance in and go to town. prediction is key with daikenki. otherwise i think your team has some good synergy going on.

Hey man, cool team.

I'm not very familiar yet with gen 5 but since you asked so nicely I shall try to give some suggestions.

Aqua Jet, Night Slash and Megahorn are that good of a move coverage combination, so perhaps you want to try something like Return for coverage. You could also go with Revenge to hit opposing Nattorei and faster foes harder.

On Nidoqueen you could try Dragon Tail instead of Roar, so you won't loose to faster Phazers and Taunters.

I do like the suggestion of SD passing, Speed Boost Blaziken.

Don't have much more, hope this helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)