Project Sample Teams for Entering the RU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
approved by molk
Credit to Prem for the OP which I have stolen a lot of from the LC thread
Silvershadow234 is a cutie

Because RU is a new (and relatively unpopular in terms of how often it is played) it can be a pretty hard metagame to get into. Because of how new the meta game is it can be hard for someone to jump right in and make a team that deals with all of the threats.

So to help people get into Rarelyused this is going to be like a repository of decent/good RU teams made by people who actually do play this game on a consistent basis. Some of the teams are better than others, and all of them will probably need some kind of work for it to be the best team it can be, but these teams are available for anyone to use if they are struggling making a team. I know we have the RMT section for this, but honestly most RMTs are just for showing off this is for actually helping people, lol. (Also I will be weeding out teams that I don't think are quite up to snuff).

If you are going to post a team, please give a small description of the team like what it does, and what its weak too. This does not have to be RMT quality, just enough to give the user an idea of how to use your team, and what to watch out for when playing with it. This is mostly because I don't want to write them when I'm not going to test the team, just make sure it looks good on theorymon, lol. PLEASE POST A PASTEBIN OTHERWISE MY LIFE IS MORE DIFFICULT.

Also, in LC this thread also got a ton of attention after bans, because people were dumping their "retired teams". I will not include your team if you post a team with Tornadus, this thread is to help new people enter the meta, not enlarge your e-cock, thats what the RMT section is for. Thanks.

Round -1 post Tornadus

Round 3 post Shuckle

Last edited:
http://pastebin.com/JyzrEqni

Here we go! The team is a offensive Volt-Turn with a Offensive Regenerator core, so that if new players make a mistake, they can switch in the core to take a hit and determine what the opposing pokemon is doing. This team used to have a Raikou but since its banned and atomicllama hates e-cock growth, it has been replaced with a Heliolisk which functions the same, as a specially defensive pivot. Heliolisk has been replaced with a more standard Choice Scarf for more easier revenge killing. Swellow and Gallade wall break, while everything else pivots. Refrain from directly switching in the wall breakers as they are quite frail, instead switch into a pivot such as Gligar or Heliolisk to Volt-Turn TO the wall breakers so that they take minimal damage. Also, be sure to always keep hazards off your field as you'll be switching alot. If you feel unsafe about the opposing pokemon, switch into a Regenerator mon to take the hit and pivot out to deal with it accordingly. Obviously it has some flaws, but it is a fine team for those starting out in RU as it has a Defensive backbone to fall back on if a mistake is made.

Last edited:
http://pastebin.com/pYsvTRVT

Here we go! The team is a offensive Volt-Turn with a Offensive Regenerator core, so that if new players make a mistake, they can switch in the core to take a hit and determine what the opposing pokemon is doing. This team used to have a Raikou but since its banned and atomicllama hates e-cock growth, it has been replaced with a Heliolisk which functions the same, as a specially defensive pivot. Swellow and Gallade wall break, while everything else pivots. Refrain from directly switching in the wall breakers as they are quite frail, instead switch into a pivot such as Gligar or Heliolisk to Volt-Turn TO the wall breakers so that they take minimal damage. Also, be sure to always keep hazards off your field as you'll be switching alot. If you feel unsafe about the opposing pokemon, switch into a Regenerator mon to take the hit and pivot out to deal with it accordingly. Obviously it has some flaws, but it is a fine team for those starting out in RU as it has a Defensive backbone to fall back on if a mistake is made.
I assume the Slowking's real ability is Regenerator, and I wonder why you have the IV's on the Tangrowth. I assume you tested a Hidden Power.

Rest of the team looks good, though, nice team :]

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is more for those looking for a way to use Rain without recent bans / move-ups such as Raikou, Milotic, Toxicroak, and Tornadus:

http://pastebin.com/6gTJezPV

So, basically, this rain team revolves around the offensive core of Heliolisk and Moltres. The two dedicated rain setters are Liepard and Uxie, both of which have ways to easily let one of the rain abusers have access to the battlefield via Yawn + U-turn and Encore + U-turn respectively. The two Swift Swim users on the team also provide support in addition to their typical sweeping roles. Kabutops provides Rapid Spin support, something you should never build a team with Moltres without. Ludicolo provides the team with a 3rd rain setter and one that can stay in to take advantage of the rain itself. As this team uses Swift Swim Pokemon to sweep, you will rarely have problems when it comes to outspeeding typical fast threats like Swellow, Delphox, Cobaliion, and Cinccino. However, bulky Steel-types such as Bronzong and Registeel can pose a major roadblock. Even though Moltres's Fire Blast can roast them, you will need to delay using Rain Dance before these Steels are gone since the rain nerfs Moltres's Fire Blast (but makes its Hurricanes 100% accurate to let it dump on Grass-types) On the positive side, these Steel-types lack reliable recovery, so you can just let one sweeper go down to soften them up for whatever you send out next if you'd rather not delay setting the rain.

I recommend having an approval system in place for this. I know from running the Doubles Sample Teams thread that many subpar teams will be posted (not targeting anyone in particular), and unless a quality barrier is in place then it will be possible for almost any half-decent team to be added to the database. I definitely think having some sort of quality control is necessary for this project to function well.

I'm also going to reiterate what is required of a good team suitable for this thread. We must remember that these teams are going to be primarily used by newer players on the ladder. Therefore, they should ideally be simply, easy to use teams that don't require a high skill level to use to success. A new player should be able to easily pick up a team of their choice and use it to learn how to play the RU metagame. Not only that, the team should be representative of a standard team in the current meta, or an optimal way of using a certain archetype. For this reason, I don't think Jonater's team is a good team for this project. It runs a few sub-optimal sets, such as Assault Vest Tangrowth without Earthquake, which is needed for many Pokemon that Tangrowth otherwise struggles with (over Brick Break). The set that stood out most to me was Assault Vest Heliolisk. At risk of sounding like a broken record, stop putting Assault Vest on random Pokemon and hoping it will work. This is just like throwing shit at the wall and hoping it will stick - except instead of making sure it sticks you're putting it on display and encouraging others to do the same. Heliolisk has terrible HP, even worse Defense and average Special Defense. This is certainly not bulky enough to act as a good Assault Vest Pokemon. You also have random 30 IVs in Attack and Defense for no reason whatsoever - I can only assume you tested a Hidden Power previously. Not only that, your Gallade is opting to use the pitifully weak Shadow Sneak over a strong STAB Psychic move, which your Gallade seems to be lacking. Also, once your Slowking has been knocked out, Pokemon like Choice Scarf Delphox have a field day with your team, and you can't do anything about it except let your Pokemon die to repeated Fire Blasts. All these factors combined lead me to believe that this is not an optimal team to be giving out to new RU players, and that there are many similar teams out there that are far more effective.

The descriptions that accompany the teams should also be made to accommodate the fact that newer players will most likely not know straight off the bat how to use a team effectively. A team's description should detail how to use the team to its fullest potential, as well as what threatens the team and what it can face relatively simply. EonX-'s team is good for this in my opinion. It details which Pokemon this team doesn't struggle with so much that others do (fast Pokemon such as Cinccino, Delphox and Swellow), and details some Pokemon that the team struggles with, but can be taken care of with some smart playing (bulky Steel-types such as Registeel and Bronzong). Not only that, his team is also a solid rain team, as it is well balanced and shows some of the best ways to utilise rain as a playstyle and some of the most threatening Pokemon that can be found on rain teams. Personally I'd run Ice Beam over Focus Blast on Ludicolo since it provides better overall coverage, but I can see where Focus Blast would be useful.

Just posting this as advice for anyone planning on posting a team in this thread. I'd recommend PMing a good RU player and asking if your team is worthy of being a selected team for this database. If you're absolutely confident you have a good RU team that represents the general state of the meta and is relatively easy to simply pick up and use, then go ahead and post. After all, the more teams the better - just try to ensure your team is good for new players, as that is the aim of this thread.

atomicllamas

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I recommend having an approval system in place for this. I know from running the Doubles Sample Teams thread that many subpar teams will be posted (not targeting anyone in particular), and unless a quality barrier is in place then it will be possible for almost any half-decent team to be added to the database. I definitely think having some sort of quality control is necessary for this project to function well.

I'm also going to reiterate what is required of a good team suitable for this thread. We must remember that these teams are going to be primarily used by newer players on the ladder. Therefore, they should ideally be simply, easy to use teams that don't require a high skill level to use to success. A new player should be able to easily pick up a team of their choice and use it to learn how to play the RU metagame. Not only that, the team should be representative of a standard team in the current meta, or an optimal way of using a certain archetype. For this reason, I don't think Jonater's team is a good team for this project. It runs a few sub-optimal sets, such as Assault Vest Tangrowth without Earthquake, which is needed for many Pokemon that Tangrowth otherwise struggles with (over Brick Break). The set that stood out most to me was Assault Vest Heliolisk. At risk of sounding like a broken record, stop putting Assault Vest on random Pokemon and hoping it will work. This is just like throwing shit at the wall and hoping it will stick - except instead of making sure it sticks you're putting it on display and encouraging others to do the same. Heliolisk has terrible HP, even worse Defense and average Special Defense. This is certainly not bulky enough to act as a good Assault Vest Pokemon. You also have random 30 IVs in Attack and Defense for no reason whatsoever - I can only assume you tested a Hidden Power previously. Not only that, your Gallade is opting to use the pitifully weak Shadow Sneak over a strong STAB Psychic move, which your Gallade seems to be lacking. Also, once your Slowking has been knocked out, Pokemon like Choice Scarf Delphox have a field day with your team, and you can't do anything about it except let your Pokemon die to repeated Fire Blasts. All these factors combined lead me to believe that this is not an optimal team to be giving out to new RU players, and that there are many similar teams out there that are far more effective.

The descriptions that accompany the teams should also be made to accommodate the fact that newer players will most likely not know straight off the bat how to use a team effectively. A team's description should detail how to use the team to its fullest potential, as well as what threatens the team and what it can face relatively simply. EonX-'s team is good for this in my opinion. It details which Pokemon this team doesn't struggle with so much that others do (fast Pokemon such as Cinccino, Delphox and Swellow), and details some Pokemon that the team struggles with, but can be taken care of with some smart playing (bulky Steel-types such as Registeel and Bronzong). Not only that, his team is also a solid rain team, as it is well balanced and shows some of the best ways to utilise rain as a playstyle and some of the most threatening Pokemon that can be found on rain teams. Personally I'd run Ice Beam over Focus Blast on Ludicolo since it provides better overall coverage, but I can see where Focus Blast would be useful.

Just posting this as advice for anyone planning on posting a team in this thread. I'd recommend PMing a good RU player and asking if your team is worthy of being a selected team for this database. If you're absolutely confident you have a good RU team that represents the general state of the meta and is relatively easy to simply pick up and use, then go ahead and post. After all, the more teams the better - just try to ensure your team is good for new players, as that is the aim of this thread.
Lasagne, I don't think Jonater's team is that bad, barring the two sub par sets (not that bad may still mean it should be removed, I'm not sure yet). It should be noted, that I did not just take his pastebin and put it into the OP, I looked through it and fixed the random IV mistakes as well as changing the Assault Vest on Heliolisk to a Life Orb. I normally wouldn't do stuff like this, but it was pretty obvious to me he just stuck a Heliolisk in a Raikou's slot with little thought.

That being said I do agree with your points about this needing more strict quality assessment, and I appreciate your input as I am not really used to running this kind of thread.

Well... I hope that my team can be usable at least! Also, i hope you don't get mad at me but, I'm using my phone on this one...

Kicker (Hitmonlee) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin

Dancer (Aromatisse) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Trick Room

Figther (Escavalier) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 172 HP / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Drill Run
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Iron Head

Burner (Delphox) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot

Destroyer (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

Kisser (Exploud) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SpAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Well, the set doesn't need that much explanation since is just a kind of intermediate between Bulky Offense and Hyper Offense. Also, Aromatisse, Escavalier and Tyrantrum make a kinda nice core with Escavalier handling Poison and Steel Types for Aromatisse, Tyrantrum handling Fire Types for Escavalier and Aromatisse getting a nice come in against fighting types. Escavalier just get enough speed to hit Slowking before it can move, which helps inmensely to get a 2HKO using Knock Off on the switch in and then destroying it with Megahorn. Also, Escavalier helps a lot against Smeargle and Amoonguss thanks to Overcoat...

In the Speedy department, Delphox and Tyrantrum can hit really hard between the two of them, and i'm using Grass Knot to totally obliterate Gastrodon. Adamant Tyrantrum have enough speed to surpass non scarfed Delphox and Adamant Scarf Emboar and hit them hard. Also, the Trick Room Support from Aromatisse, can help to the Aroma-Esca core to revenge kill some scarfers and quick pokés like Delphox.

This set doesn't use hazards (mainly because i don't find a way to fit at least Stealth Rock into this pokes), but have a way to spin them away with Hitmonlee. I've selected Hitmonchan in the beggining, but after seeing some coments in another threads and trying Hitmonlee i just have to change it...

Finally we get Exploud which just have to come in to clean late game with the easily spammable boomburst, or get in earlier after a pokemon of your own faints, to help in wallbreaking duties. The coverage moves in Exploud's moveset are just for specific cases, principally Fire Blast for Escavalier, Surf for Rhyperior and Ice Beam for Tyrantrum...

Well.. I think that's it... As long as a player know the basic stuff about pokèmon, i think it can use that team with more or less success...

See ya Guys!

Last edited:

Double01

Hate it or love it the under dog's on top
K so I made this team before raikou moved up and tornadus was banned, but it still is a easy and fun team to use. Plus, it beats like everyone :P.
Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Sacred Sword

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off
- Grass Knot
- Sucker Punch

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 104 SAtk / 232 Spd / 172 HP
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Hitmonlee (M) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Endure
- Reversal
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Druddigon @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Iron Tail
- Outrage
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Punch

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

This is a basic spike stacking team that I made when I was first learning the meta. To get a general feel for the team basically you:
1. Get hazards via froslass / Cobalion while also preventing hazards by their fast taunts. (Note: Tspike must stay off the field at all cost)
2. Lure out either meloetta or Hitmonlee's counter by disguising them with Zoroark.
3. Sweep with either meloetta or hitmonlee.

Another thing to note is to try to get priority off the field as soon as possible. Once priority is off the field hitmonlee is basically a sweep waiting to happen. Druddigon is the 'glue' of the team and was great for stuff like raikou and tornadus at the time, but now that they are gone he is still not that bad for stuff like yanmega and delphox. 9/10 times you will be leading with froslass. The only time you shouldnt lead froslass is if you think your opponent will lead like rhyperior which then u can use zoroark to grass knot as it rock blasts you. Also if your having trouble finding what pokemon to disguise, basically if your opponent has like bronzong or escav disguise as meloetta, if they have a lot of psychic and ghost types (reun, slowking) then disguise as hitmonlee.

Overall this team is really easy and fun to play and great for people who are learning the meta.

http://pastebin.com/R52ZUdqP

So I wanted to base a team around Moltres and Mega Banette. I knew Moltres would need Defog and Banette would like ghost types to be gone so I added Skuntank. Banette would also need wish support so Aromatisse. I thought Moltres would have problems against water types so I added Rotom Mow. At last I needed a offensive steel type and better overall coverage so Coballion. EDIT: Rotom Mow is probably the best lead here as you can just Volt Switch and go to the proper pokemon. Banette helps Moltres sweep by disrupting and with weakening strong pokemon or walls with Will O' Wisp and Taunt respectively so do your very best to mega evolve Banette as soon as possible to activate Prankster because you will need it. Skuntank is essential to both Moltres and Coballion, the star sweepers, with Defog and Pursuit respectively so never let it faint until it's job is done. Aromatisse is best mid-game and can never be the last pokemon healthy on your team so make sure it heals as much pokemon as possible before letting it faint.

http://pastebin.com/FaA4nnfh

This one doesn't have as much thought into it as it's just hyper offensive Trick Room stuffing in Trick Room users that have decent type synergy together. May not sound as good as the above team but it's actually really good. EDIT: Reuniclus is probably the most reliable Trick Room setter so lead with him a lot of times but if you see stuff like Skuntank and Zoroark, lead with Aromatisse. Exploud and Escavalier are the devourers of worlds so try to use Cofarigus to deal with rare Mach Punches for Exploud and retaliate with a Nasty Plot boosted Shadow Ball and use Aromatisse to help out Escavalier with her Hidden Power Ground. Abomasnow is best kept to the late game after Exploud or Escavalier do massive damage.

There atomicllamas :)

Last edited:

passion

heavenly :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
kso this team is pmuch scary as shit sticky web hyper offense (s.o New Breed for help w/ team and testing)

http://pastebin.com/LNYSbE1U

Okay so i saw this thread and decided i felt like helpin out the new kids with a p cool team so yeah here it is frens :]. Alright so basically what you want do to with this team is lead shuck get up webs/rocks and proceed to fuck up everything with crazy hard hitters. Hitmonlee is used to spin for yanmega while still hitting hard as fuck w/ adamant life orb reckless hjk. Also it may seem weird that I have a scarfer on a sticky web team but thats so I dont get shit on by offense teams with defoggers and can revenge a lot of flying types/levitators. Also Doublade seemed like the best spin blocker for this team due to the fact that it is the most bulky and imo most threatening ghost in RU, it is really bulky and p strong. Just a fyi the speed on Blade allows it to outspeed Rhyp when webs arent up. The last two (Zangoose/Yanmega) do not really need explanation as they both are there to just bust giant holes through teams thanks to both of their amazing power.

Also it is worth mentioning that this team lacks a water resist. Though it has not really bothered the person I made ladder with this team considering he has been keepin webs up good. If this really bothers you I reccomend using Clawitzer>Yanmega. This change also make you less dependent on Rapid Spin. As of now though I prefer using Yanmega

atomicllamas

http://pastebin.com/R52ZUdqP

So I wanted to base a team around Moltres and Mega Banette. I knew Moltres would need Defog and Banette would like ghost types to be gone so I added Skuntank. Banette would also need wish support so Aromatisse. I thought Moltres would have problems against water types so I added Rotom Mow. At last I needed a offensive steel type and better overall coverage so Coballion.

http://pastebin.com/FaA4nnfh

This one doesn't have as much thought into it as it's just hyper offensive Trick Room stuffing in Trick Room users that have decent type synergy together. May not sound as good as the above team but it's actually really good.
Hey, these seem like some pretty good teams, thanks for posting. However I would appreciate if you could edit your post with a description of how to use the team for newer players. Right now they are more a description of how the team was built, which is great, and you can leave in, but elaborating on how each team works (win condition, threats to the team, general strategies etc.), would really help future users of the team. Thanks in advance!

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Figured I would submit another one of these:

http://pastebin.com/dFr7HxsW

As you probably could have guessed just by looking at the team members, this focuses on SmashPass. It uses Meowstic-M as the Dual Screens user as it is almost guaranteed to get them up thanks to Prankster and good enough bulk. Not even AV Escavalier is OHKOing Meowstic-M with Megahorn behind Reflect, so you can leave it in on virtually anything if you need to. Thunder Wave is a really cool panic button if something gets setup on you before you can get to Gorebyss. Cobalion is probably the only one that can't sweep on its own and is overly reliant on Shell Smash to sweep, but it focuses on getting Rocks up and keeping them up. Tyrantrum, Virizion, and Delphox are the primary recipients of Shell Smash, thus allowing you to pick the right one depending on the circumstance provided. Say, the opponent has a bulky Ghost- or Psychic-type left. That means you'll want to get to Tyrantrum who has the easiest time with these. If bulky Water- or Ground-types are around, Virizion is the go-to recipient as she handles them better than the other two. And, if there's bulky Grass-types hanging around, Delphox is preferred. The best part is that this team isn't super reliant on SmashPass to win. Of course, SmashPass makes it loads easier to win the game, it isn't the end of the world if the opponent keeps Gorebyss from getting it off. Tyrantrum, Virizion, and Delphox all have setup moves of their own and the Dual Screens protection and paralysis support given by Meowstic-M helps them setup and sweep effectively on their own, just in case Gorebyss can't get the pass off. Due to the flexibility this team has, there aren't a lot of weaknesses. However, Toxic Spikes has to be a key one out of the very few. With Toxic Spikes, Delphox is almost never going to sweep while it gives Gorebyss just one shot to get the pass off, even with Screens, and it severely limits the use of Subsittute. It also forces the use of Tyrantrum's and Virizion's Lum Berry, lessening their ability to get through Mega-Bannette (though Destiny Bond sucks anyway) If this weakness gets to be too much for you, a simple change of Volt Switch to Taunt on Cobalion can defend against this since it fares well against most TSpikes setters and outspeeds all of them.

EonX- I took a look at your rain team, and while it is certainly a team that can work well, there were a few things you probably forgot to correct from prior members. Ludicolo had 29 HP IVs, Liepard was timid with 0 attack IVs when, aside from foul play, the only attacking move on it was U-turn, and Uxie had 4 EVs left for it to use.
I revised the team and put it on a pastebin for you, here it is.
http://pastebin.com/WeXTnX8B

EonX

Battle Soul
The Lucky Absol , yeah, not sure what was up with Liepard and Uxie.... That said, Ludicolo's 29 HP IVs is by design as it rounds down Life Orb recoil and only costs 2 HP to do so. Sure, it has Giga Drain to recover HP, but you never know when taking that one less point of LO recoil will help you take out a key threat or finish a sweep. I actually do this a lot with Pokemon holding Life Orb and no HP investment.

My first team submission:

http://www.hastebin.com/ivixeqafas.md

This is a Hyper Offensive team. Omastar is the shell smasher lead. if you are threatened by grass moves switch to roselia and start laying spikes. If you are threatened by electric moves then switch to jolteon and then volt switch to gain offensive momentum. Specs Jolteon will do a ton of damage to anyone switching in, use him to gain momentum during the battle and bring him out as a late game sweeper. Bring out Hitmonlee to fake rapid spin and then go for knock off, you will have to bring out lee often to lure in its threats; so that you can endure and proceed to sweep from there. Cobalion can come into any physical attack that is not super effective against it and can setup swords dance to sweep. Malamar is there as anti sticky web and a scarf makes him faster than any non scarf user. So he is an excellent revenge killer and can setup to sweep from there due to contrary boosts. So the roles are as follows: Jolteon (Offensive Pivot & Late Game Sweeper), Hitmonlee (Mid game knock off user, priority user, endure sweeper), Omastar (Lead Smasher, Lead sweeper or Late game sweeper), Roselia (Special wall, hazards, sleep powder), Cobalion (Mid game sweeper, switches in on a neutral phy attack and setup sweeps), Malamar (Revenge Killer through out the game, Wall crippler with switcheroo, Destiny bond to take care of a threat behind sub).

There are a few changes that can be done as per preference. Hitmonlee can learn Rapid spin instead of Knock off, Jolteon can learn HP Grass instead of Shadow ball, Roselia can learn aromatherapy instead of sleep powder, Cobalion can learn Volt switch instead of swords dance for offensive momentum and Malamar can learn Night slash instead of Psycho cut. Purely based on your battle style, but my battle style suits the sets that I have put up.

I had decent success with the team, But like every HO team, you have to play sharply because one wrong move will screw the entire battle for you. So, have fun with the team and RU in general.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
alright i'm gonna dump a good one here, i haven't done a full rmt for this because i felt it was too similar to another team made by Arikado (made mine totally independently, i just ended up with a v. similar core by the end), but i've had a lot of success with it both on ladder, against friends, and on RUgged mountain. Others have used the team effectively as well.

http://pastebin.com/v90H3avA

Alright, so this is a Bulky Offense team that New Breed and i built around Moltres (the original intent was to test Gurdurr but tbh when it comes to the whole team i think its clear Moltres is the real star), that also happens to use two very uncommon (but effective) RU threats in the form of Gurdurr and Shiftry to help hold the team together.

Moltres is an incredibly powerful wallbreaker in the RU tier between its massive Special Attack stat and powerful dual STABs in Fire Blast and Hurricane, and with Stealth Rock off the field it can be a true monster to face, forcing out slow Pokemon, wrecking pretty much any defensive core without things such as Slowking, and clearing the way for its teammates (usually Gurdurr or Doublade) to clean up or possibly even flat out sweeping itself, depending on the game. This offensive presence is further compounded by just how good Shiftry is as a teammate for Moltres. Not just does it Defog away Stealth Rock for Moltres to get in for free, but it forms a pretty damn potent offensive core with it at as well. Moltres really struggles with bulky Water- and Rock-types, Pokemon that Shiftry can very easily force out with the threat of a STAB Leaf Storm. Slowking is especially threatened, given its weak to Shiftry's Knock Off, and given a lot of opponents rely on Slowking to sponge Moltres's attacks, the switch can be seen from a mile away, making double switching a piece of cake. In return, Moltres smacks around the various Fighting-types and Bulky Grass-types that threaten Shiftry, Including Cobalion, some Virizion, Amoonguss, and Emboar.

When it comes to leading, Moltres often does excellently as an early game nuke. Whenever you see a team without Slowking or a Pokemon with Volt Switch (especially a slow team), leading with Moltres is almost always a good idea, and it can often force opponents to sacrifice a Pokemon within the first few turns of the game to get something in to revenge kill it. At the very least Moltres's powerful dual STABs will be heavily denting the opponent's bulkier Pokemon, softening them up for the rest of the team. Shiftry and Rhyperior can also make solid leads. Shiftry because of its excellent matchup against Pokemon that people might attempt to lead with predicting the Moltres lead (and really just Rhyperior in general), and Rhyperior just as an early game Stealth Rock tank that can take pretty much any non Grass- or Water-type move from full hp, reliably set up rocks, and retaliate in return with powerful STAB moves such as Earthquake. Against Accelgor HO Doublade limits the bug to only one layer of spikes with a combination of Iron Head and Shadow Sneak.

As for threats to this team: the team is quite durable and between the incredible bulk and decent powerful you should be able to take on p. much anything you come across as long as you play well. However there's one Pokemon that stands out and that's Eelektross. This team has major trouble OHKOing it, both of my Electric-type resistances are smacked by a coverage move, Gurdurr and Doublade hate being Knocked Off, and it can grab momentum from me with Volt Switch. The main way to get around Eel is to just try and play around its coverage, keep in mind that bar Giga Drain it lacks recovery, so you should be able to eventually wear it down! Also, Gurdurr can beat it 1v1 on the revenge but can't block Volt Switch.

Overall a really solid team that i've really liked to use, and i think it'll help a lot of people get into the metagame if they try it out =).

atomicllamas

Updated this with the new round,

Gale Wing Srock that is the wrong pastebin, but I doubt I will end up adding that team to the final PB anyways, as I don't really agree with Malamar or SS Omastar being in a sample team as neither really have a niche, and it seems hard to use for a new player.

everyone else GIMME YO TEAMS

Updated this with the new round,

Gale Wing Srock that is the wrong pastebin, but I doubt I will end up adding that team to the final PB anyways, as I don't really agree with Malamar or SS Omastar being in a sample team as neither really have a niche, and it seems hard to use for a new player.

everyone else GIMME YO TEAMS
Oops, My bad Atomicllamas. Should have checked the link.

It is fixed now, but you are the boss of this thread. Include the teams as you see fit. Just wanted to put in my two cents, and this is my first team submission. Will defintely improve my submissions with time ;)

p.s: Sometimes the folks around the lower ladder prefer hyped sets. But if you don't like this one, I can add in a solid one if you want me to.

Thanks,
GWS

hey babes. gonna dump this omastar hyper offensive team that i used to peak #7 on ladder (will update if i go higher). it's really just formed around setting up as much hazards as you can and then putting up offensive pressure.
http://pastebin.com/hS9EmHHu

Alright, so to start, I wanted to use Spikes Offense; it's a very effective version of hyper offense, even after the ban of Froslass, and has a good amount of setters, such as this, Accelgor, Qwilfish, and Crustle (lol). Accelgor, while a very reliable hazards setter, just hit like a wet paper bag in general and it forced me to run another mon specifically for SR. The same with Qwilfish, although i liked it better due to its ability to switch in on Hitmonlee, cripple it with Thunder Wave and make it significantly harder for it to spin. So, it was a tossup between either of the two, as they could set up both hazards; I went with Omastar, due to it having much more of an offensive presence, letting it beat common SR users such as Rhyperior, as well as pressuring common defoggers like Gligar and Golbat. Omastar also has the cool add-on of being able to outspeed a fair amount of stuff thanks to Weak Armor.

Next, I needed a spinner and a spinblocker. The choice was fairly obvious, as Hitmonlee and Doublade are by far the best in their respective roles in the tier. Both sets are pretty standard, with Hitmonlee being able to check common switchins to Doublade like Sharpedo and Zoroark. In return, Doublade assmongles the Fairy-types that love to switch into Hitmonlee, and can set up on them, making it a really great mid game breaker While Doublade is worn down fairly easily despite its massive physical bulk, it can usually punch enough holes in the team so that by the time it's gone (if it's affordable to let it die, anyway), one of the other mons can rip through the opposing team.

Reuniclus is mainly used as the stallbreaker, as it pretty much destroys any stall team not carrying Drapion or doublade. It usually can tank a good portion of hits from both sides, and you're pretty much guaranteed to kill something provided they don't have doublade yanmega or zoro on their team. Not much to say here.

Moltres is probably one of the best early game breakers in the tier, and kinda rips apart bulky offense teams thanks to its good speed tier and its massive special attack. It's also the teams primary answer to shit like Doublade, who Lee can't check thanks to its shit bulk. However, it's sometimes hard to let it stay in for long thanks to shit like Rhyperior and Jolteon, and you probably want rocks off the field for as long as possible, at least until Moltres has softened up the more bulkier pokemon.

Finally, Sharpedo is pretty much by definition one of the best late-game cleaners in the tier. Its STAB options cover a pretty decent chunk of the metagame, and thanks to Speed Boost it can check a good number of non-scarfed offensive threats, like Zoroark or Delphox. Ice Beam is kinda just for Tangrowth, however Destiny Bond or Poison Jab could work out or w/e

sry 4 the essay.

Okay gonna drop this team here. It's a balanced team built around Swellow.
http://pastebin.com/00y6cpiy

The main strategy is to sweep with swellow once Scarfed Pokemon and Jolteon are gone. Swellow is, ofcourse, the main star of the team, firing off a Guts-boosted 140 BP STAB move. It also worked great vs. Sticke Web teams since it is immune to the speed-lowering hazard. U-turn forms a nice VolTurn core With Magneton.

Now there are a few things Swellow can't beat. Mainly Rock and Steel types, as well as solid physical walls like Gligar and Mola. That's where Magneton, Virizion and Zoroark enter. Magneton handles Alomomola with easy, only fearing a scald burn. Magneton can also be used as a last-ditch effort to kill Rhyperior and Gastrodon with HP grass. Magneton also synergises(?) well with Swellow, resisting BoltBeam whereas Swellow in return is immune to Ground moves. Volt Switch is particulary useful because it's a slow pivot moves that can get Swellow in safely and activate the Toxic Orb. Also VolTurn shenanigans. It is also a good check to Yanmega and Jolteon. Keep in mind that Magneton should be used more as a pivot than a special sweeper or wallbreaker.

Virizion is used as a mid-game wallbreaker, with a great STAB-combo and Stone Edge to round the coverage, hitting Bug, Fire and Flying types. Steel Types don't stand a chance against Virizion, and Rock Types get equally decimated. It also serves as a great check to every Sharpedo lacking Zen Headbutt or, to a certain extend, Ice Beam. Just watch out for Destiny Bond.

Zoroark plays a lot sneakier. I often send it out first turn disguised as Swellow as my opponent leads with Rhyperior/Registeel/Gligar/whatever and beats them with any of it's moves, or criples them for the rest of the match by removing its item. The amount of times I got rid of Rhyperior first turn is just so much and it's great. Like Virizion, Zoroark is used to weaken the enemy team early and mid-game, and it often ends up as the first Pokemon going down on my side.

Last but not leats is the defensive backbone of the team with Gligar and Slowking. Gligar is very bulky on the physical side with Eviolite and provides hazard support and defog support. Slowking is my Special Wall/Tank of choice, laughing at almost any special attack and retaliating back with it's moves. Magneton is also, to some extend, part of this backbone, but once again, it servers more as a pivot than wall.

This team is really fun to use and Swellow is very strong. However, don't play too carelessly with Magneton, Slowking, Gligar or Swellow, as they all server important roles late and mid-game. And keep in mind that Swellow is worn down very quickly, so save it for later in the game.

Alright, here's my team. For more information on it, the RMT is here :] http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/balance-in-ru-peaked-7-1000th-post-rmt-d.3511074/

Fletchinder
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic

Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Crunch

Drapion @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

Fletchinder, what this team was based around. What Fletchinder brings is a powerful Flying-type that checks a lot of dangerous threats such as Yanmega, Virizion, and Sharpedo. Fletchinder is also crazy helpful late-game, as it can set up a Swords Dance and the proceed to sweep. Moveset is standard; Will-O-Wisp punished switch-ins, Roost for recovery, Swords Dance for late-game sweeping power, and Acrobatics for STAB. The EVs allow me to outspeed uninvested base 85s, though I don't even think that's and important benchmark lol.

After I added Fletchinder, I knew I was going to need something to Defog, as well as set up hazards to help Fletchinder sweep. Considering Claydol was not an option for obvious reasons, I decided to go with Gligar. Gligar is a great physical wall on this team that helps wall a good portion of the physical attackers in the tier, such as Rhyperior, Hitmonlee, Emboar, Escavalier, and more. This is thanks to its sexy defensive typing as well and NFE status, which lets it use Eviolite. Defog is there to remove hazards for Fletchinder, while Stealth Rock helps weaken Pokemon like Yanmega for the team. Gligar can also set them up really easy after coming in on something it walls (which is a lot). Roost is for recovery and Stone Edge is for damage and also hits Fletchinder. So yeah, in short, this thing walls powerful physical attackers, removes hazards via Defog, and sets up Stealth Rock to help aid Fletchinder.

After I had those two members, I realized I was seriously weak to Water- and Ice-type attacks. I had also known from previous teams that I absolutely despised Fire-types, especially Delphox and Moltres. As such, I decided that Assault Vest Slowking would be the best fit for this team. Thanks to the combination of good defensive stats, Regenerator, and Assault Vest, Slowking has no trouble dealing with almost all Water-, Ice-, and Fire-types. Regenerator also means that it can afford to go without Leftovers. While the EVs may seem weird, I really appreciate all the special bulk they bring. With it, I can switch into things such as Exlpoud's Boomburst and only be 3HKO'd, a pretty impressive feat. I can also deal with the like of Moltres and Delphox much better, absorbing Hurricane's and Grass Knot's much easier.

After adding Slowking, I knew I was going to need a counter to Electric-types, which would otherwise sweep my team with ease. This is where Amoonguss comes in; it can wall Electric-types such as Jolteon and Heliolisk with absolute ease thanks to its Grass typing, Regenerator, and good bulk. This thing also comes with the added benefit of being a second Water-type counter, which is helpful for my former two members. Moves are all pretty standard except for Toxic; the reason I chose it is because if you'll notice, my team is really weak to Pokemon such as SubCM Cresselia / Meloetta and SubBU Braviary. Since these Pokemon, especially the latter two, tend to come switch in on Amoonguss after Sleep Clause has been activated. If Amoonguss is able to catch them on the switch, the immediately become much less threatening. It also helps with shit like SpD Alomomola which can be annoying.

As you can tell, the combination of Slowking + Amoonguss give me the infamous SlowMoon Regenerator core. I wanted to bring this up briefly because it's actually very helpful in functioning as a secondary win condition should Fletchinder die. Their have been multiple times where I've been down 5 or 4 against my SlowMoon and still won thank to their great bulk and ability to where down offensive teams quite easily. Overall, though, SlowMoon is well-known for a reason; it works.

This thing is the MVP of this team, and definitely my all-time favorite member. On one hand, Durant is an absolutely amazing Pokemon. This thing gets such good coverage, being able to take out the likes of Rhyperior, Gallade, Claydol, Shuckle, Aromatisse, Meloetta, and so much more thanks to the combination of Choice Band, Hustle, and a large Attack stat. This thing can even beat fucking Doublade thanks to the combination of Crunch + No Guard. It also pops Cobalion every damn time, as everyone seems to be perfectly fine with leaving their Cobalion in against me. This thing functions not only as a wallbreaker, however, but also as a secondary cleaner in case Fletchinder goes down early-game for whatever reason. Of course, the miss chance absolutely sucks, and out of the 5 games I've lost with this team, 3 have been to Hustle missing. However, even with the chance to miss, Choice Band Durant has been an outstanding member of this team that I don't think I could ever consider replacing.

This was the last member of my team, with Dugtrio originally being in its place until I realized it was complete ass. Anyways, my team is really weak to Doublade, and this thing does a great job in wearing it down the point where Durant can KO it. This thing also does a great job against a lot of common stall Pokemon, such as Meloetta, Aromatisse, Bronzong, Cresselia, and Tangrowth. Usually, I tend to play Drapion more recklessly, as it's rarely necessary to win a match. It also tends to function as a death fotter a lot of the time, though that definitely isn't a bad thing. However, its ability to eliminate key Pokemon makes it a definite helpful Pokemon to my team.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
I recently made this team and I've found it very fun to use, and I'd like to share it here. I think it shouldn't be too hard for an inexperienced or metagame-unfamiliar player to use because the strategy is very easy to grasp, although mistakes can be a little costly due to the relative frailty of the Pokemon. Despite that, I think it's worth putting out there as it's one of the better offensive teams I've made.
The Team

Shiftry (Offensive Defog)
Zoroark (Swords Dance)
Drapion (Taunt + Swords Dance)
Fletchinder (Swords Dance)
Yanmega (Choice Specs Tinted Lens)
Rhyperior (Specially Defensive)

http://pastebin.com/YyGvy11H
Description
The team is pretty self explanatory at first glance: with three powerful Dark-types and two powerful Flying-types, it's pretty clear that the overall goal is to overwhelm the opponent's Dark- and Flying-type checks and sweep. These Dark- and Flying-type attackers complement each other well, as both Fletchinder and Yanmega annihilate every Fighting-type in the tier that check the Dark-types present, whereas one or more of Shiftry, Zoroark, or Drapion easily beat the few Pokemon that can be a thorn in either Flying-type's side, such as Jolteon, Heliolisk, Kabutops, Tyrantrum, Delphox, or Sharpedo, to name a few. Finally, Rhyperior is the glue of the team, functioning as a great pivot with decent mixed defenses and much-needed support in the form of both Stealth Rock and Toxic.

While most of the members overlap in type with another member, they each have a distinctive niche that affects how each one should be played depending on the opponent's team. Shiftry generally the most important, providing a source of reliable Stealth Rock removal for both Yanmega and Fletchinder, and being a great check to Sharpedo, Rhyperior, Jolteon, Heliolisk, and Alomomola, all serious threats to the rest of the members on this team. Because of this, it's advised to keep Shiftry away from risky plays as a mistake can mean serious implications for the rest of the team. On the other hand, Zoroark is all about risky plays, and the fact that it shares one move with Fletchinder and two moves with both Drapion and Shiftry means it can pull off very convincing illusions that can leave the opponent guessing even after Zoroark has made a move (Although Zoroark is usually considered a somewhat tricky Pokemon to use, this unusual compatibility with the rest of the team makes it easy to utilize even for newer players). Drapion boasts higher overall bulk than every other offensive Pokemon on this team, and this combined with a fast Taunt makes it very easy for Drapion to find a chance to boost and sweep slower teams, particularly defensive ones, which Drapion is best at sweeping. Fletchinder is very versatile, providing both a very useful source of burn damage and lots of late-game sweeping potential. After Fletchinder gets certain checks like Jolteon, Heliolisk, and Alomomola out of the way, all of which its teammates (particularly Shiftry) can easily remove, it's often the best choice for a sweeper against opposing hyper offensive teams. Yanmega breaks down opposing walls easily with only its STABs, uses U-turn to wear down its few checks, and has Sleep Talk to act as a fairly reliable sleep absorber, as the only common Pokemon with a sleep move, Amoonguss, can't take either of Yanmega's STABs. Against slower offensive teams, Yanmega will usually be the optimal sweeper. Thanks to Tinted Lens, the only Pokemon that can safely switch into it are Golbat and Registeel, and luckily for Yanmega, Rhyperior is easily one of the best checks to both. In addition to providing that support, Rhyperior not only sets up Stealth Rock to punish the frequent switches you'll be forcing your opponent to make, but also lures in and hits with Toxic both Alomomola and Gligar, two potential roadblocks for the likes of Fletchinder, Zoroark, and Drapion.

Overall, it's up to the player to decide the priority and importance of these niches within each individual battle and play with the team accordingly. However, it's pretty easy to tell what's going to have an easy time sweeping and what's not, so it's not hard to formulate a basic battle plan from the beginning that you can stick to. Because of that I feel it's a fairly easy team to get adjusted to for players of all skill levels, and it's very fun to use as it still leaves lots of room for clever and creative plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)