First of all, I'd love to have your opinion on the dreaded killer moth: Volcarona. Do you think it should be banned from BW OU?
What do you think of Evuelf, his johning antics, and the fact he makes fun of you for always waiting the deadline to play?
Why do you always play on deadline day?
What are, in your opinion, the best / worst additions BW2 brought?
Care to tell us more about The Nemesis, Gliscor?
Is there a player version of The Nemesis, that you can never beat?
Why is MadMeghan so funny?
Why would you ever run 252 Speed Timid Jellicent? I'm confused...
Is there a tournament you still want to win (badly)?
1. I'm on the fence with Volc. It certainly has flaws, but it's one of those mons that is ALWAYS threatening granted it has the right moveset/item. There is always one variant which will fuck you side-way, and it's not that hard to play around its main downside (the SR weakness). On the other hand, I do think a lot of player underprepare for it because "why bother?". Volcarona does have checks tho. For example, any +100 Speed BS Scarfer with a Rock move will be enough and safe no matter what the moveset (Garchomp, Terrakion and LolNape in OU alone) and you have access to plethora of other checks, albeit less reliable because they can be beaten with the right moveset/items (Gyarados, Keldeo, Heatran, etc). Hopefully, we'll get to test BW with Excadrill around and with a new and better spinner in the tier, maybe Volcarona will get better to the point where it'll be too good. As of right now: no banerino
2. Evuelf is a good BWer and I'm proud of his johning antics
I also have no shame regarding how I schedule and when I play my games, so he can keep making fun of me!
3. Two reasons stand out: 1) I'm lazy and will often not be prepared (granted I care enough to prepare) before the deadline day; 2) I usually wanna play when I'm "in the mood", which is rarely the case, especially when I get asked to play without prior notice. Delaying the game allows me to prepare myself mentally to play the game/be in the mood.
The combination of these two factors usually mean I'll play on deadine day or max one/two days before.
4. Best: Landorus-T
, Ice Punch Conk, Roost Move Tutor (Volc, Hydrei, Gliscor, etc). As far as Smogon decisions go: Sand Veil ban under the Evasion Clause (SubSD Gliscor was ridiculous in BW1), Deoxys-D ban
Worst: lol... let's not mention what has been banned: SR Terrakion/Garchomp, Keldeo, TechniLoom, Giga Drain Chloro Venusaur.
I feel like I'm forgetting stuff here.
5. Sand Veil SD Gliscor was a total beast in BW1. The only counter was Skarmory, and with all the Magnezone floating around, it needed Shed Shell to actually be viable vs Gliscor teams. It was hitting so damn hard and it was piss easy to fish for misses and win the game/take a huge advantage this way. At the time it started seeing usage, I was using a lot of bulky/fat teams and most of them were very weak to that Gliscor, which led to some spanking from the like of Funk in the No Johns Tour or SoulWind in a Smogon Tour (and Taylor on the ladder lol).
6. The three players I think I have the worst tour record against are: M Dragon, badabing, MoP (we faced two or three times in the SuperStars he won, which was years ago) and reyscarface (that POWC final game was total bs tho, and I choked so hard in a XY game we've played in the last Smogon Tour it was horrendous). Off the top of my head, I'm good vs everyone else.
7. You tell me Philou! Any examples in mind?
8. I just wanted a SpinBlocker that wasn't Gengar because too weak to Starmie! Jelli's sole purpose was to play around (Semi-)Stall, so I went all out on the speed to get the Taunt vs more Pokemons.
9. WCoP, it's the reason why I joined Smogon Tournaments after all. Out of the invidual Tours, it'd probably be a second Smogon Tour but I'll take anything.
play moar adv nu imotbh
why is lunatone not used more in adv ou
will oras ou ever be playable???
1. As much as I love the 3rd Gen, I only am genuinely interested in OU. I'm not a particular fan of Uber, UU or NU, even if they're fun tiers when I have
to play them.
2. Because despite it's cool niche, its bulk is still pretty poor. It's also slow and doesn't hit hard. And it hates status :[
3. Who knows... Most of the ladder players actually like, and some of our Tournament players don't hate it. I'm not a huge fan, but I do think it gets more flak than it deserves, especially when it comes to match-up and teambuilding.
When will Triangles return?
Most underrated mon in ADV?
Strangest successful tour team that you've seen, as in, a team that shouldn't be good but is?
1. I'm not the right person to ask, I never chat(ted) with him D:
2. Gyarados, Umbreon and Slaking.
Gyarados is a physical sweeper that isn't afraid of bulky Waters (at least, not as much as Ttar/Mence/Aero) and that's a huge perk.
Umbreon can get auto-win vs defensive teams and is a pest for some offensive teams as well with a Wish/Protect set.
Slaking hits like a truck and is always a threat as soon as you take care of Skarm/Forre. It sure has its flaws, but it's the hardest hitter of ADV after all.
3. That's quite the specific question man. Most team tournaments are designed to appeal to the Tour PlayerBase because it's usually fun to play with friends, so it's not like I often had bad expectations from a team tour, and in the rare cases I did, it turned out to be shit nonetheless. I guess the Tag Team Tournament
could fit here. I thought it would be pretty standard and boring, but I had more fun than expected being paired with someone I would have never teamed with by myself. MikeDecIsHere
turned out to be a beast who racked up a lot of wins and we took it home at the end hehe.
You said there is a lot of room for improvement in the tournaments part of this site. What do you think are the biggest "problems" and how to plan to improve this areas in the future?
And why haven't I ever played against you? :(
1. I'd like Tournaments to be rooted in the other areas of Smogon, especially the media one (The Smog, Competitor mainly). Back in the the days, The Smog had a lot of articles by and for Tour players, and I think a lot of people liked reading them. We've often had some media projects related to Tournaments getting a lot of hype in their first editions (Competitor in SPL3, Bloo/VN project for SPL), but they just keep dying down pretty soon after their launch, and I'd like to try Something In That Regard.
I used to like how Tournaments players tried to contribute more on the site. Not only the media, but also RMTs, posting in the various subforums, etc. I don't know if that's fixable tho (and it's not like the situation is horrible either in that department). When talking about aim recently on IRC, Iconic mentionned how he was part of a dying breed: the badgewhores. It is true that we have less Top Players who try to contribute in other areas of the site nowadays, or at least that's how I feel about it.
I'm also not afraid to tackle down the Historic Institutions if it's for the better. Read changing the format of old tournaments if it's deemed they have to be fixed.
2. Probably because you don't join enough Tournaments ;)
pls answer these before sunday night ;]
Was there any specific turning point moment where you went "wow, a lot of people look up for me for how I play this game / how I contribute to this community" or do you not think about that too often?
Do you feel any pressure given that a lot of the community now expects you to perform so consistently in various tours after your past success or is it not a factor in your thinking process, preparation, and play?
How much money did you think you would go for in SPL 6? Do you think you were worth the amount you went worth?
Thoughts on the recent success of the Belgian Brothers ZoroDark and MetalGross?
Are you looking forward to the upcoming WCOP this summer or are you more interested in the currently running cups for the Classic (or neither :o)?
Which BW2 lower tier was your favorite at the end of the generation (if you had one) (uu w/ hail+chandy, uu w/out hail+chandy, ru, nu w/ jynx+scoli, or nu w/out jynx+scoli)?
Who is the most surprisingly successful battler you've seen (as in someone who you thought wouldn't do well, but ended up doing very well)?
Was there any point recently where you seriously considered either quitting or being significantly less active in playing pokemon? How long do you think you'll be playing and do you think the future of the community is going to be an improvement from the recent status of the community or will the quality of the community grow lackluster?
Finally, if users Jirachee and Evuelf where pitted against each other in an important BW2 OU battle, who would you pick to win, do you think Evu would john until the deadline, and do you think either would have the balls to bring out broken moth? :O
sorry for having a lot of questions i guess lol
1. The first time was after I reached ST12 playoff, which helped me to get picked in SPL on top of my WCoP performance. Afterwards, I feel like it got to an another level after the first Slam regular season and moreso after the Smogon Tour win. I often felt annoyed about losing to players people expect me to win against, but after a lot of time spent on this game, I think it's better to focus on the consistency rather than a one-time exploit, and I'm content with myself in that regard.
2. I feel the pressure, but it's not a factor regarding how I play and prepare. It's factor regarding how I feel regarding my wins/defeats tho. The worst is when I choke/play bad a in high-standing game, where people expect me to do well. An example is the BW game I played against you in Tour PlayOff. Note that I don't wanna belittle your win, I just think I was capable of much better than what I displayed in that game.
3. 22-30k. I probably cost too much but I did my best for the price to be worth it and it worked out IMO.
4. It's great. They're belgian and former BIGs so I have all the reasons to be glad of their success. It's about time they confirmed their PO results here.
5. I'm very much looking forward the next WCoP and I currently have close to no interest in the Classic, except maybe the ADV Cup. Like I said earlier, I'll start caring about this if I can go far without much effort (and no, this isn't a defense mecanism to justify a potential bad performance in the tournament).
6. That's pretty easy to answer: BW UU (both with and without Hail). I disliked Uber/NU/LC and was indifferent to RU.
7. Can't really answer here because I never give someone 0 credit. Pokemon isn't really a hard game, and I try to look at concret results rather than my subjective POV, so if anyone get good results, it means they deserved it. Recently, I was surprised Tesung won ST18, especially considering the people he had to beat and I think he deserved it, dont read there that I said he lucked out!
8. In 2013, I completely stopped caring about Pokemon for a bunch of months and basically came back with XY/SPL5. Since then, I have stayed pretty active. I still have periods where I don't really feel like playing Pokemon (like right now to be honest), but I care enough about Smogon and the Tournament scene to at least stay around and do my job as a TD (where in the past I couldn't be assed to care about it much when I was tired of playing).
I don't think I'll leave soon. If anything, I might reach a point where I'll just play SPL/WCoP and the occassional Tournament, but I wanna stay around to shape the Tournament scene or at least be involved in the TDs discussions/projects.
Smogon keeps growing number-wise, and we keep attracting contributors and players who become good to great. I think Smogon, or at least Tournaments will keep improving as long as the people in staff position are open-minded and reasonnable to adapt and evolve with the community.
9. Evuelf would certainly john, and Jirachee would be the likelier to bring the Broken Moth. As for who would win, it'd a hard question to answer. I found Jirachee to be have up and downs during his SPL battles. For example, he played a perfect game vs Aqualouis while he made a lot of questionnable plays vs High Impulse, so it'd probably depends on Jirachee's form!
Can you teach me adv OU?
Can I rematch u in ORAS OU?
I know you're not the "most known" for playing DPP, but how do u feel about that tier as a whole? Is there anything that you feel is too powerful for it?
If the clear skies tournament is a success, can you implement that over normal BW OU for everything related to BW?
When is the OU council gonna ban aidspass?
1. I don't plan to/want to tutor someone from 0 (let's say ADV bi-curious in your case) to hero, but I love answering more specific questions, so there is that :|
2. Join tournaments ;)
3. Too powerful? Nah. The tier is fine and balanced, and I don't think anything stands out as too good in it. I like playing it most of the time. I like the teampreview-less game planning in a tier with much more threats than in ADV. I already mentionned it, but I'm not a fan of the whole lead match-up because there are definitely games where it's very hard to come back from the momentum loss caused by a bad match-up. I think Pokemon would have been better off U-Turn which is too good of a momentum handler so that's one thing I dislike about DPP I guess. I don't think I'm involved enough with DPP to give completely informed opinions on my other subject of dislike (such as the importance of hazards in the tier).
4. Literally every time a Clear Sky tournament happened, the metagame turned out to be complete garbage. Just an immense DragMagTerrakion fest which is a lot worse than the Weather Wars imo.
5. We're working on that right now.
Do you think Swampert is viable in ADV Ubers?
Less random question: If you could change one thing in every gen 1-5, what would it be and why?
1. I don't play ADV Ubers enough to know the right answer :[ Why would you run Swampert when you can use Groudon? It sounds pretty bad imo. Doesn't even check the best Pokemons in the tier (Groudon, Kyogre, Lati@s, Deoxys-A), can't do anything to Lugia, doesn't appreciate the burn from Ho-oh, etc...
2. RBY: Remove the crit ratio being related to the Speed BS. I'm not a fan of how carefully though-out set-ups are usually not worth it because you're bound to get crit very fast and also pretty often (looking at your Slowbro and Amnesia Lax).
ADV: limit Spikes like in GSC (one max). Still fine.
DPP / BW: too much ahah (U-Turn, Volt Switch, LO, Hazards to name a few). Free Mold Breaker Excadrill in BW please, and maybe ChloroSun ban afterwards, depends on the tier evolution.
Opinions of the following mons in ADV:
Silliest thing you've ever seen used in a serious Tour (preferably ADV)? Silliest thing that worked?
Who are the top 5 ADVers playing/of all time?
Winner of ADV Cup/Smogon Classic?
What do you wanna ban in BW OU (Volc, Cube, Weather)?
Rate my ADV skill out of 10? Should I stop bringing Spikes+Suicune balances or TTar+Aero Sand Teams and expecting wins?
Salamence: excellent Pokemon. My favorite set is the Choice Bander, especially the Jolly one because with its Attack/Speed and Intimidate, it's a great check to many Pokemons (CM Rachi, CM Mono Cune, Flygon, DD Gyara, DDTtar, etc) on top being an offensive powerhouse. Most balanced / stall are too prepared for the DDer, so I'm not a huge fan. MixMence is great but it doesn't really fit the kind of teams I usually build.
Suicune: amazing Pokemon. Probably the best bulky water in Offensive team, since it has an offensive presence, unlike Swampert. CroCune/Roar Cune can win games very easily with minimal support. Top 4 without a single doubt, and one of the Pokemon you have to prepare for the most IMO (hence why Zapdos is amazing :D).
Flygon: alright. Hits like a bitch but typing/ability are god-like and give it a great niche nothing else can fill in the tier. CB Jolly and bulky Toxic/4 atks are the only worthy sets imo.
Raikou: good. One of the most unstoppable Pokemon once it gets going since the speed tier is so good. Also an underrated yet very effective Special sponge. Too bad it's so Dugtrio weak and that there is often something cockblocking it waiting in the back to prevent it from sweeping (Aero/DDTar in mind here).
Heracross: typically the kind of Pokemon worth building around. Most Physical attackers in the tier share the same checks/counters but Heracross is so different from all of them just because of that Bug Stab. It's one of these Pokemons a lot of people underprepare for and end up being terribly weak to. I think it needs clever teambuilding to properly work tho.
2. I've seen people running DD Special Ttar/Mence. Pretty garbage IMO but it of course has the surprise factor going for them. Floppy once used Charm CB-Less Dugtrio against me, which surprised me to the highest degree. Floppy is the king of random silly shit, you should watch his games/plays with him if you wanna be surprised.
I once made Final of a Smogon Tour running a pretty gimmick team. I remember it was Milotic/Dug/Magneton/Celebi CM Psychic HP Fire Recover/Breloom Spore Toxic Mach Punch Leech Seed/Sharpen Tbolt Porygon2. I think that was pretty cool tbh.
3. Didn't play enough in the past to judge sorry :[
4. ADV Cup? I'd like to win it obviously hehe. If I don't, I'd give it to one of GS/Ojama/BKC (apprently MDragon and Smurf are not in it anymore). Smogon Classic: Heist (he seems to care+great skills all around and currently on a good roll).
5. None of Cube/Volc/Weathers. Just ChloroSun if it still creates the current issue in an Excadrill meta.
6. I have never seen you play so I can't rate, but I think your latest posts in RoA were on point knowledge of the tier-wise.
I came up with another question: What do you think of the player Vertigo and his influence on modern ADV OU
Pretty lame answer, but I think I missed most of his contributions/influence. All I know about Vertigo is that he made shitton of ressources for ADV and that he tutored Danilo (with that fact, I guess I could say Vertigo's influence has been nothing but negative then).
Hi Smurf. Mcmeghan wants to play late during Sunday. Does this work?
Yup, that's a deal. Not /too/ late tho, fk OCN timezones