Metagame RU Stage 1 - Begin Again (Welcome to gen 9!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviGaro

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
RU Leader

As usual, thread for typical metagame developments and issues to be raised within it. As this is an alpha tier tiering will be minimal (ie dependent on above tiers such as the tera suspect ongoing).

In the meantime tell me why Naclstack shouldn't be on 100% of my teams, why is Haxorus here and how Bombirdier is the goat knocker AND rocker.

I feel decently safe in saying that Haxorus will be RU's Espathra because looking through the list and I genuinely see no good answers to it when it can tera steel.

Primeape is very funny especially in a combo with Rabsca

The mere presence of Blissey makes a lot of special attackers feel icky, especially if you wanted to invest tera into them like a toxtricity. I feel the Rotoms will have a good place as decent special attackers who can cripple blissey.

so... hazards..
Here are ALL fully evolved removers:
:avalugg: :coalossal: :cryogonal: :delibird: (lmao) :komala: :tatsugiri:
:altaria: :braviary: :drifblim: :frosmoth: :lurantis: :oricorio: x4
Hopefully we won't be dipping into Quaxwell and Fletchinder and those can be saved for NU and PU

One notable thing is that there aren't that many goodblockers for removal
Defog can be punished with Defiant (:braviary:,:primeape:, other fightings), Competitive ( :gothitelle: :wigglytuff: ew ) and contrary ( :Lurantis:)
Spin has the contact abilities, Helmet and of course the ghosts ( :drifblim: :rotom: :froslass: :oricorio-sensu: :mismagius: :palossand: :sableye: :spiritomb:) Banette is there too I guess lmao

Last edited:
Why would Delibird have more potential over Glaceon, which actually gained Calm Mind this generation, but I don't know if it can threaten the entire tier after a single CM, because +1 STAB Ice Beam coming off of something with base 130 SpA sounds like something that very few can switch into (AV Thick Fat Hariyama might be a roadblock though)

Alright so I think there's a few mons that could of note here that haven't been mentioned yet:

:krookodile: Krookodile :krookodile: :

RU Krook was what many a UU player wanted in their heart last gen, and now its happened. The loss of Knock hurts Krook, but I think it'll be great here. Its a strong Pokemon with a decent offensive type, good coverage, and plenty of options in general. Stealth Rock setter is one thing, but there's also Choice Scarf/Band, and perhaps here Bulk Up could be an option? Either way, even with its many weaknesses (Intimidate can somewhat mitigate this), I think Krook will be a top, albeit balanced, Pokemon provided UU doesn't take it next month.

:medicham: Medicham :medicham: :

The addition of CC to Medicham's movepool made this Pokemon a hell of a lot more scary to face. This thing has very little switch-ins beyond Slowbro, who gets hit hard by Thunder Punch, and Sableye (Spiritomb if you wanna stretch). Its always been let down by its lacking bulk and only decent Speed, but Medicham can actually make good use of Trailblaze on non-Choiced sets, and there's quite a few decent slow pivoting options like Magnezone. Perhaps its more an on paper threat but still.

:Tauros-Paldea-Fire: Paldean Tauros (Fire) :Tauros-Paldea-Fire: :

There's 0 reason to use pure Fighting Tauros where's a ton of better Fighting-types, but I think the Fire version has potential to be a top mon. The typing is actually quite decent defensively, and its quite beefy on the physical side. Its no slouch offensively either, sporting high powered STABs, good Speed, and just enough coverage to make by. The main sets for Tauros I see are bulkier sets relying on Bulk Up and/or Will-O-Wisp to take advantage of its defensive perks, or a Choice Scarf set. This also bodies Weavile super hard lol.

A list of various roleplayers we have in the tier right now:

Hazard removal:
Defog: :Altaria:Altaria, :Braviary:Braviary, :Drifblim:Drifblim, :Frosmoth:Frosmoth, and if you are desperate :Lurantis:Lurantis and :Oricorio:Oricorio
Rapid spin: :Tatsugiri:Tatsugiri, :Cryogonal:Cryogonal, and if you are desperate :Avalugg:Avalugg, :Coalossal:Coalossal, :Delibird:Delibird and :Komala:Komala.

Hazards:
Stealth Rock: Way more than there are hazard removers. Some notable ones are :Blissey:Blissey, :Bombirdier:Bombirdier, :Bronzong:Bronzong, :Camerupt:Camerupt, :Copperajah:Copperajah, :Dudunsparce:Dudunsparce, :Klawf:Klawf, :Krookodile:Krookodile, :Mudsdale:Mudsdale, :Naclstack:Naclstack, :Palossand:Palossand and :Sandaconda:Sandaconda.
Spikes: There are barely any noteworthy Spikers except for :froslass:Froslass, :Coalossal:Coalossal, :Heracross:Heracross and :Cloyster:Cloyster, I guess.

Steel type: :Bronzong:Bronzong, :Copperajah:Copperajah, :Magnezone:Magnezone, :Perrserker:Perrserker and :Revavroom:Revavroom are the only fully evolved steel types. Time for Physdef Magnezone to show the world where it would be without magnet pull.

Status (Toxic): :Dragalge:Dragalge, :Revavroom:Revavroom, :Salazzle:Salazzle and :Vespiquen:Vespiquen(lol) are the only things I can see fitting toxic on a set, though I guess you could use Muk without anyone stopping you.

I guess every team I try building will start with Altaria and either Bronzong or Copperajah.

Last edited:
In the meantime tell me why Naclstack shouldn't be on 100% of my teams, why is Haxorus here and how Bombirdier is the goat knocker AND rocker.
:flamigo: almost 1 shots max bulk naclstack
252 Atk Life Orb Flamigo Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 255-302 (87 - 103%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Flamigo Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Naclstack: 226-268 (69.7 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Flamigo Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bombirdier: 266-316 (94.6 - 112.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Flamigo Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 1929-2272 (270.1 - 318.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Just saying Flamigo could do a lot in this meta, and its dual stab having a grand total of 3 fully evolved resists available in RU (Rotom gets hit by scrappy CC so doesnt count) would make its dual stab very powerful. It even gets tailwind for speed and swords dance for recovery

I'm probably missing something and Flamigo would be just terrible, but I feel like it is alright right now, especially with webs/tailwind support to mitigate its suboptimal speed stat.

Attachments

some initial thoughts:

:toxtricity: is an absolutely disgusting breaker with tera normal and boomburst, this thing has very few checks all of which it can break down over the course of a game (bar Chansey)
:lycanroc-dusk: is an incredibly good revenge killer/breaker, banded and sd are both good, accelarock lets it reliable revenge kill the likes of venomoth and weavile as well as weakened haxourus and toxtricity, it also gets a wide array of coverage options that you can mix and match to your teams needs, versatile and strong, great mon
:froslass: great spiker for ho, might fall off later but for now it's very good
:altaria: by far the best defogger we have left, great special bulk, good defensive typing, will-o-wisp to spread status, and a good ability for the roll, I like this mon a lot
:haxorus: this mon is crazy lmao. great attacking stats, very few consistent checks, absolutely one of the biggest threats around
:avalugg: is a decent spinner that also checks a bunch of key threats, pure ice isn't a great typing defensively, but it can either make it work as is or tera fighting for some extra bulk, checks a collection of mons such as haxorus and weavile that can be difficult to find answers to otherwise
:naclstack: is a good rocker with good bulk that comes with a free ghost resist and status immunity, its good for many the same reasons garganacl is good in ou, id body press or rocks tect, pick your set, and chances are it'll do well
:primeape: incredibly scary to come up against with rage fist and good bulk by way of eviolite, havent seen too much of it but the little I have seen is quite the showing
:slowbro: a bit underwhelming so far, it's got a solid defensive profile into things like lycanroc and fightings but it also struggles to fire back offensively, even with offensive investment
:weavile: oh how the mighty have fallen, I wouldn't even consider this thing one of the top 3 things to be scared of in this tier which is weird to think about given how good it was last gen, it's still very threatening, just not nearly as strong as you might think
:venomoth: moth is here to terrorize a whole new generation, it's doing the same things it's always done, and is still really dumb
:bronzong: great rocker and basically the only decent defensive steel we have left, this is arguably the most consistent check to toxtricity around, which says a good bit on just how limited our options are

to finish with some general thoughts about this metagame: its really fun, I'm having a blast and this tier feels like a great mix of offense and defense where nothing feels excessively overbearing, I expect balance to be the most consistent playstyle once the metagame settles but who knows? it may surprise me!

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
:dachsbun:
Dachsbun @ Leftovers
Ability: Well-Baked Body
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Play Rough
- Body Press

Good boy time.

+2 252 Atk Weavile Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dachsbun: 172-204 (54 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Mold Breaker Haxorus Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dachsbun: 268-317 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (easiest EAT)

Physical Defensive Sylveon is here, and it's immune to burns too. Don't have much to add, Dachsbun is a good boy.

:bellibolt: Also, this is a PSA for Bellibolt users: It does get Muddy Water to hit Ground types. Not great, but usable.

edit: also, petition to unban Houndstone so that it can join :arcanine::dachsbun: THE GOOD BOYS :mabosstiff::lycanroc-dusk: in RU

Last edited:
Oricorio feels so good right now, this mon completely destroys a bunch of the bulky cores you'd expect to see on the average team solely because of how Revelation Dance essentially gives you two coverage moves in one, which allows you to run roost in the last slot to set up on special attackers and more importantly Blissey (Seismic Toss does like 30%).

Oricorio-Pom-Pom @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dancer
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Revelation Dance
- Roost
- Air Slash

Yes I'm aware that the Ev spread and moveset could be a lot more optimized but it's the first few hours of RU so I don't really care. For those who don't know, Revelation Dance has a mechanic where it's typing changes to the primary typing of the pokemon who uses it, hence why the different variants have different Revelation Dances. This comes with the side effect of Terastilization essentially allowing you to cheat five moves onto one pokemon, which is huge given that nothing wants to take Electric + Flying + Ground coverage.

This also applies to Oricorio-Sensu, which I believe to be the better of the two at the moment simply because Ghost stab is way more spammable and the Boomburst immunity is huge in a tier where we have multiple choice locked Boomburst spammers.

Oricorio-Sensu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Dancer
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Revelation Dance
- Air Slash
- Roost

I'm currently using Oricorio-Pompom on a Dual Screens Hyper Offense team and Oricorio has been putting in the work, consistently living important hits (one time it lived a Tera Fighting +1 Scarf Heracross CC) and getting important OHKO's against more offensive stuff despite not having a boosting item. Here's the team: https://pokepast.es/be3f077f881ca53d (PS: Veluza is complete dogwater, if you wanna use this team drop it).

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
Day 1 RU Hyper Offense Team
:sv/glimmet::sv/primeape::sv/weavile::sv/venomoth::sv/lycanroc-dusk::sv/espeon:

This metagame is going to be a chaotic one. Here are some notes on this team:

- Tera Fairy Dazzling Gleam has a 56% chance to OHKO Tatsugiri. Who knows how good Glimmet will actually be, but at the very least, it's funny.

- Eviolite Primeape is EV's to outspeed base 90 mons like Venomoth, Flamigo, and Revavroom. There's the potential of running a bulkier set with it, but I prefer a fast Taunt to prevent Will-O-Wisp from Altaria, Fire Tauros, and the Rotom Formes.

- Weavile's viability might actually be more volatile than on paper, because mons like Fire Tauros and Hariyama actually check it extremely hard. Still seems incredibly powerful, though.

- Ban Venomoth.

- Tera Rock Accelerock makes Lycanroc-Dusk the premier revenge killer in the metagame. Pretty much a surefire way to clean up in the late-game. Even outside of that, it can still highly threaten walls as an early-game breaker. Play Rough is solid coverage against Hariyama and other bulky Fighting-types, and Tough Claws CC hits super hard even without Tera Fighting.

- Espeon functions solidly as a special attacker, but I'm mainly using it for the sake of having Magic Bounce. Using the ability right makes it much easier for Primeape and (especially) Lycanroc-Dusk to come in safely. Psyshock lets Espeon hit Blissey up.

- Here's an alternate version featuring Specs Magnezone, a hard-hitting pivot that eases the team's Naclstack matchup.

Last edited:
This tier fells wack..
:chansey: :blissey:
Both Blobs are here. No teleport and heal bell (until home) make the blob to passive for OU and UU this time around.
:weavile:
Knock Off less Weavile is also here. Having to use Night Slash as STAB is awfull. And there is a Fire bull wich eat like breakfast
:Tauros-Paldea-Fire:
Talking off, why is this thing here? Great in Ou againts the Dark Quartet but in RU somehow
:crocalor:
This guy is the only Unaware mon after UU keep Quagsire and the big 3 are in OU
:abomasnow: :cetitan: :haxorus: :venomoth:
Aurora Veil Ho look insane with the lack of Unaware
:Naclstack:
Salt Cure is a trully bs move

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life

Heracross @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Steel (can be changed I just hate Accelerock)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance
- Trailblaze

kid named Speed Boosting Heracross. This set is hilarious because Trailblaze is unironically not bad coverage for Palossand, one of the few that takes Hera's Guts boosted STABs rather easily. Trailblaze boosts your Speed and turns Hera from a fearsome wallbreaker to a fearsome wallbreaker that is about to sweep your entire team! (unless you have Scarf Flamigo grr) I like this set best on Webs teams cause with one Trailblaze boost you can outpace any grounded Scarfer under Webs and go to town. Very funny mon.

Cetitan @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Thick Fat / Slush Rush
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Ice Shard
- Ice Spinner
- Earthquake

past the first week this mon will likely just be reduced to Veil teams but I've been using a Cetitan Screens team with Morgrem (goated mon that is also pretty garbo at the same time!) and it actually puts in dummy work. This thing is FAT under Screens, and it has access to +6 priority which is hella clean. Not much else to it, it's just your standard BD sweeper that I hope has some staying power in the coming weeks.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
I don't think I've played RU since gen 6 (and a bit of 7), and was curious to see how this one would be. Just giving it an initial glance seems so...wow, feel like I need to touch this with gloves with the erratic distribution of stuff in the tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)