Project RU Matchmaking [ Cycle 3: Donphan ]

Pinboim3

Rain days are the worst
approved by Arifeen
OP adapted and mostly taken from the PU
version

I will try to get a banner in the future

Hello, welcome to RU Matchmaking. In the recent past RU has changed a lot, the tier shifts caused 3 metagame staples to raise to UU, leaving the tier unstable and leading to two consecutive suspects. Now that tier has become more stable, new defensive and offensive threats are starting to shine and new dangerous cores have been discovered and that's the part where Matchmaking begins.
This thread will work not only as a project but also as a resource for good Pokémon pairings. I hope you participate and have fun with it.

Matchmaking

All Pokemon are unable to function effectively without their checks and counters gone, which is where their teammates come in. These partners are capable of defeating multiple Pokemon that prove a threat to their teammates, providing invaluable support and making almost undefeteable partnerships. When you nominate a partner you should explain why the Pokémon is a good partner, how can it help the Pokémon in discussion and talk about the synergy of the core.
This project aims to brainstorm various ideal and effective partners to many Pokemon which can be, top tier threats or some more creative and underrated Pokémon.

How it will work

Every week, I will nominate a Pokemon for discussion of potential partners and submissions. You will have five days to submit and on the next two days, you and the RU community will vote on your favourite partner for the nominated Pokémon. The winners of each week will have their submissions put in tge glorious and prestigous RU Matchmaking Hall of Fame.

Rules

- You may only post one pair per week.
- When posting a nomination, post the set you will be nominating, fllowed by an explanation of how it works with the Pokémon of the week. While not required, sprites or arts of that Pokémon can be posted.
- Posting replays can be good to exemplify the synergy between the Pokémon
- Constructive criticism is encouraged but you can´t be in any circunstance or situation rude to someone when posting.

This week's subject:

Last edited:

Pinboim3

Rain days are the worst
Resultado de imagem para pangoro sprite
We will start this off with Pangoro. The recent tier shifts have heavily changed RU and the Fighting-types got a big increase on usage and viability. However, Pangoro hasn't caught this wave and finds itself almost dropping to NU and getting low tournament usage as well, despite its good offensive typing, excellent coverage options with Gunk Shot and Bullet Punch and having good breaking abilities with its SD and CB sets inflicting a lot of damage to most of the tier. It's main flaws and issues are its average bulk and bad speed tier. It also has a rather poor defensive typing for this metagame, which makes it weak to the most common/dangerous types of RU.
With that being said

LET THE MATCHMAKING BEGIN

Last edited:

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
My immediate thought when I saw "bad speed tier" was trick room sweeping. To take advantage of this, a trick room setter is needed. I chose bronzong due to good typing.
Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
I stole this mostly from the RU analysis on Bronzong. I switched protect out for trick room for support. Stealth Rock is for the chip damage, toxic to stall out some enemies, gyro ball for some emergency attacking.

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

What does Pangoro love? Getting in on Steel- and Rock-types for free. What does Swellow do? Use U-turn on forced switches to Steel- and Rock-types. Swellow also offers a great matchup against offense with its blistering Speed and likes having a Bullet Punch Fighting-type to pressure Choice Scarf Gardevoir and Tyrantrum.

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

What does Pangoro love? Getting in on Steel- and Rock-types for free. What does Swellow do? Use U-turn on forced switches to Steel- and Rock-types. Swellow also offers a great matchup against offense with its blistering Speed and likes having a Bullet Punch Fighting-type to pressure Choice Scarf Gardevoir and Tyrantrum.
I'd like to ask why you carry heat wave, when it gives almost no additional coverage? You could run a support option, such as defog or tailwind, healing in the form of roost, and possibly others. The only thing heat wave hits that the rest don't is steel, which is dealt with by pangoro anyways.

I'd like to ask why you carry heat wave, when it gives almost no additional coverage? You could run a support option, such as defog or tailwind, healing in the form of roost, and possibly others. The only thing heat wave hits that the rest don't is steel, which is dealt with by pangoro anyways.
because that's the set.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Ironically, the rise of fighting types in RU is one of the reasons he's struggling right now, as his fight weakness is a big opportunity cost. That being said, Gardevoir greatly appreciates the removal of fat Steel and Psiquic mons, pressures Honchkrow, offers speed control, a soft fighting check and, against stall/fat balance teams, increase Pangoro lifespam with Healing Wish and break down defensive cores.

Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- U-turn

similarly to swellow, specs bee can lure in steels and uturn to panda to bop them, while mantaining the anti-fighter capabilities of gardevoir, arguably even more so thanks to a resistance to knock. also it can even set webs on a free turn to further support pangoro.

Pinboim3

Rain days are the worst
For the start of this project we ended up getting 4 submissions.

My immediate thought when I saw "bad speed tier" was trick room sweeping. To take advantage of this, a trick room setter is needed. I chose bronzong due to good typing.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Trick Room
Swellow @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Healing Wish

Ironically, the rise of fighting types in RU is one of the reasons he's struggling right now, as his fight weakness is a big opportunity cost. That being said, Gardevoir greatly appreciates the removal of fat Steel and Psiquic mons, pressures Honchkrow, offers speed control, a soft fighting check and, against stall/fat balance teams, increase Pangoro lifespam with Healing Wish and break down defensive cores.
Ribombee @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shield Dust
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Bug Buzz
- Sticky Web
- U-turn

Similarly to swellow, specs bee can lure in steels and uturn to panda to bop them, while mantaining the anti-fighter capabilities of gardevoir, arguably even more so thanks to a resistance to knock. also it can even set webs on a free turn to further support pangoro.

I'm glad to have got some submissions in my first RU project, thanks to everyone who saw, liked and participated.
Now it's time to vote for your favorite pairs. Remember you can only vote for one of the submissions.

Pinboim3

Rain days are the worst
With 4 votes, the winner of the first week is zizalith with Choice Specs Ribombee. Congratulations.

This week's subject is Raikou. This Pokémon dropped to RU some months ago and quickly became a very good and dangerous Pokémon in the RU metagame. At this moment it is one of the most treathning setup sweepers, having a good Special Attack Stat coupled with great Speed and good Special Defense, being, arguably, the best Electric-type of RU. It also has a good variety of viable sets, like Calm Mind + 3 attacks, Sub Calm Mind, Choice Scarf and Sub Toxic but this week we will be focusing on the first two sets. Even though it is a very good Pokémon, it still has some problems, which are, the fact that it only has one typing that it's not having its best days in the tier, the Electric-type and also its bad coverage, only consisting in Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Ice, Extrasensory and Aura Sphere ( exclusive to Rash Nature Raikou, which doesn't really favour it).
With that being said,

Start Matchmaking

Noivern icon

Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Taunt
Noivern is a great partner for Raikou as it is immune to ground attacks and has access to roost for longevity. It's also great weakening SpDf walls with taunt and coverage. Raikou is also great for taking out fat waters that have access to ice beam.

Pinboim3

Rain days are the worst
Sorry for the really long break of the project, with RUPL taking most of my time, stuff irl and not getting another submission I ended up kinda forgetting about this, I apologize. So since we only got one submission this cycle winner is tmacbalanced congratulations.

Donphan was once regarded as the worst Pokémon of the tier and its set was even named Don't Bother but, with the metagame changes, this mon benefited a lot and saw its viability incredibly increasing. It has a good natural bulk in addition to its good attack stat which coupled with great moves utility like Rapid Spin, Knock Off, priority in Ice Shard, even good coverage moves like Gunk Shot, as a lure to Virizion and strong STAB made it a common and great pick both on the ladder and on tournaments. However, it doesn't have reliable recovery, it's weak to some of the common types of the meta and has a terrible speed. See how you can help Donphan find its perfect mate. You can now start matchmaking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)