Project RU Creative and Underrated Sets - V3

approved by phantom
stolen from ThatRandomPerson42, rip

RU Creative and Underrated Sets

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the RU metagame.

What is a creative, good moveset?
  • Not commonly seen, especially on ladder
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Replays are strongly recommended, but not required
Alright, since people apparently don't know how to hype a Pokemon set correctly....
INNOVATION GOD METABEAST IS BACK ONCE AGAIN TO GRACE THE COMMUNITY WITH A LORD CREATION! This absolute gem was hand-crafted in the RU stall factory, where after many painstaking efforts, user @oujiaboard was able to come up with a behemoth that is able to effortlessly topple both Pangoro and Heracross. These two tyrants have been dominating the tier for many months, the latter especially starting many riots in the RU Showdown room. However, there is no longer a need for the community to restlessly wrack their brains in order to come up with counters to these demons. Earlier, I posted about how Diglett was able to dismantle both of these threats; the Pokemon below is a much more standard one, which can also work effectively against a plethora of other Pokemon as well.

nomoves4u (Sableye) @ Fairium Z / Psychium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Imprison
- Knock Off
- Dazzling Gleam
- Recover

Sableye is a Pokemon that has lost a great deal of effectiveness with the generation shift. What was once a Pokemon so broken that it was immediately quickbanned by the RU council has fallen into the depths of the tier, as it currently sits at a pitiful .79% usage on the RU Ladder (163rd overall). The prankster nerf in tandem with unfavorable metagame changes brought about its rapid decline. However, the above set capitalizes on its still-excellent typing and great ability. Imprison is the star of this set; for those of you may be unaware, Imprison is a very old move that allows for its user to block the opposition from using any moves that the user of the move has in its current moveset. This means that, once Imprison is used, Heracross and Pangoro will be unable to use Knock Off against Sableye. Due to its typing, this will render the feared Guts SD Heracross completely unable to touch Sableye. For those who are unaware, Imprison targets the user of the move, which means it will still be effective against Dark-types such as Pangoro, unlike Will-O-Wisp.

Pangoro, however, will still be able to hit Sableye with Ice Punch or Gunk Shot; the defensive EVs are used in order to help cushion the blow from these attacks. However, simply living the attacks is not enough, as Sableye lacks a way to damage Pangoro outside of hitting it with a pitifully-weak Knock Off. To remedy this, dugtrio and I came up with the genius solution of putting Dazzling Gleam on this set. This allows Sableye to handily defeat Pangoro, while simultaneously allowing it to stop other threats such as Espeon from being able to touch it after Imprison. Imprison in tandem with Recover also allows Sableye to block opposing Reuniclus's from healing, making this Pokemon even more useful; a more specially defensive spread can be considered in order to better sponge attacks from this fetus. One of Fairium Z or Psychium Z should be used when using this set, as holding a Z-crystal weakens the initial Knock Off from Heracross and Pangoro. Z-Dazzling Gleam can OHKO Pangoro, while Z-Imprison can give Sableye +2 Special Defense, allowing it to better take on Pokemon such as Reuniclus. This set obviously does not fit on every team, as a Sableye lacking Will-O-Wisp is simply a great deal less threatening in most cases; however, for stall teams, this set is absolutely amazing due to its ability to defeat the aforementioned threats in a single team slot. It is clear that stall clearly has many tools in its disposal to handle the plethora of threats remaining in this tier; if you are one of the poor souls still playing offense in this metagame, I suggest you prepare for these god-like innovations before it is too late.

post by -Tsunami-

What is an underrated moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.
Tyrantrum @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake

This set isn't anything new, but it has very minimal usage in the current RU metagame and deserves more credit. With Tyrantrum already being difficult to switch into, Rock Polish could transform it into a completely terrifying late game cleaner that people often don't prepare for. Max attack and speed with a Jolly nature ensure that it could outpace a huge majority of the RU metagame. Rock Head allows Tyrantrum to freely spam Head Smash without having to worry about nasty recoils. Head Smash and Outrage ensures that weakened teams cannot easily be able to revenge kill it. Earthquake hits Pokemon such as Doublade and Registeel. Finally, Dragonium Z allows Tyrantrum to get past would be checks such as Rhyperior and Bewear.

Do NOT post bad gimmicks.

What are some things that constitute a bad gimmick?

• Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in RU, for the sake of using it in RU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread with some sets of mine:

Necrozma @ Metronome
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Photon Geyser
- Power Gem
- Heat Wave

I've been enjoying using this set on offense, specifically HO alongside Froslass. As we all know, many offenses aim to pressure removal and the opposition in general enough that enemies are hard-pressed for opportunities to clear hazards or even attack; this set bolsters the ability for these teams to achieve this by allowing Necrozma to break past stuff like Florges, Mandi, and the occasional Mantine with careful play, all of which would otherwise be capable of taking repeated hits comfortably. As mentioned earlier, I used this set on heavy offense teams, so I only recommend this set on those kinds of teams since other sets are more consistent on other builds.

Salazzle @ Poisonium Z/Firium Z
Ability: Corrosion/Oblivious
EVs: 8 Def / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic/Protect

I can see more frowns or questions being raised about this set; nonetheless, I'll explain the meaning behind its creation. While the last slot on NP Lazzle is usually dedicated to a hidden power or taunt, I believe there are teams that can afford to think outside the box and resort to the more fringe options listed above. Toxic cripples every check to Salazzle, whether it is Dragalge, Noivern, Rhyperior, or the occasional Gigalith, giving Salazzle much better odds at breaking past them later in the game, or in the case of crippling faster checks, support a teammate like Golisopod in a similar way. Protect scouts against scarfers such as Gardevoir, Flygon, and Drapion-while most moves from these mons along with other revenge killers like scarf Tyrantrum destroy Salazzle anyways, having the ability to scout any attacks is always useful and can result in a large swing of momentum for you.

That's all I got for now, but I will say that I encourage players of this tier to explore as I believe that there is a lot of room for creativity. Get out there and dig through the barrel that is a Pokemon's movepool, you never know what could be the next big set!

Last edited:
Hello folks, I'm new here in Smogon's forum, so I'm sorry if this post doesn't follow the rules of the topic. I bring here a possible suggestion of a Tyrantrum set using Assault Vest.

Tyrantrum @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Crunch

This set is inspired on AV Mienshao and AV Bisharp, both in UU metagame. The main idea is to keep the offensiveness of the other Tyrantrum's sets, but also to make a bulkier oriented set.

Choice Band and Scarf are both good, but they suffer from some revenge killers mainly because Tyrantrum would be locked in one move. The Rock Polish option is a new and interesting idea, but sometimes it could be very difficult to have a free turn to activate RP. My suggestion perhaps is a more flexible option, but of course it has some drawbacks: Tyrantrum is neither as powerful as CB set nor as fast as CS and RP sets. What do you guys think about this?

AV Tyrantrum does not seem like a good idea. Most of the mons that hit on special will have a way to hit Tyrantrum super effectively due to its very bad defensive typing. And all of those will still OHKO you, even with the Assault Vest. Life Orb Roserade still gets a OHKO roll with Leaf Storm and Raikou deals at worst 40% with unboosted HP Ice, which makes a 2HKO roll if SR is up. And I don't think we can make that any better because Tyrantrum will need those speed and attack EVs.

This set seems to have very little application. Mienshao has Regenerator and a decent typing, Bisharp uses the AV bulk to trap some special attackers such as Latias. To take examples in RU, Machamp has a decent typing and special bulk, Hariyama's bulk is even better and he got Thick Fat in exchange for his lower offensive power. Tyrantrum has none of these, his typing is terrible, his special bulk is worse than that. AV gives a 1.5 times better special bulk, which makes very little difference when your bulk is that bad.

If you're looking for flexibility, I suggest you pick a plate (most likely stone plate) or a weakness berry as an element of surprise (Chople for Passimian, Virizion and Toxicroak, Shuca for Flygon, Nidoqueen and Zygarde-10%). Also, you may consider Stealth Rock here, but you're probably willing to act like it's a Choice Scarf set and setting up Stealth Rock will blow your cover.

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Barbaracle @ Rockium Z
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Liquidation
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Nothing ground-breaking here just a set I've had some fun with in RU so far when counter-teaming. The primary reason I went for protect was because I was using it on a webs HO team and I knew there was a high probability I'd face Golisopod. Highly unlikely that my opp would ever give me a completely free shell smash unless he had a hard counter so chances are it would get chipped while setting up (especially with webs up making it -1 def/SpD vs otherwise faster pkmn) into Golisopod range. This allows you to avoid the Golis revenge kill. Also has some utility pre-shell smash vs choice guys who like to come in and revenge barb like zygarde and flygon but obv don't be an idiot and get DD'd on. I'm sure there's some niche situation that allows you to beat a z-pkmn somewhere but yeah the main purpose was avoiding Golis revenge kill. Low kick or any other 4th will still generally be better but as I said I used this to counter-team. :)

252+ Atk Golisopod First Impression vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 210-247 (73.6 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Barbaracle: 313-370 (109.8 - 129.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Taunt

This set has become one of my bread-and-butter sets because it abuses balance cores and enjoys a high enough speed tier to break (kinda) without a boost. What's cool about this one is the ability to Taunt opposing walls like Florges, Mandibuzz, Cressellia, Zong, Regi, and a few others to keep status and hazards from stopping your slow and steady damage against them and the rest of the meta. Stopping Wish, Synth, Roost, Moonlight, and other healing moves with little risk from coverage moves is a trait few mons in the metagame can claim. It gets special props for its ability which still allows it to check other random threats like Vaporeon, Flygon, Jolteon, and Arcanine effectively without needing a truly dedicated check. In particular, Taunt Gard is a great lure for teams that rely on Zong/Metagross to eat strong special attacks, set rocks, and check potent Normal spammers. And while it's not great on its own, it can find a home on teams that greatly appreciate gradual wear down, making it an ideal partner for Arc, Goli, Zygarde-10 or Swellow, all of whom can abuse strong Priority attacks (or Normal spam) once opposing defensive cores are weakened.

Slowking

Item: Assault Vest
Nature: Calm
Ability: Regenerator
IVs: 0 ATT / 19 SPE
EVs: 252 HP / 72 SPA / 184 SPD
- Scald
-Future Sight/Psyshock
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Tail

I used this in a VoTW but I figured I'd repost this mod of the AV Slowking. This version is built for balance teams and has absurd bulk. It runs more spdef that lets it serve as a permanent Salazzle counter even late game, while still being able to OHKO it, and it's speed is modded so that under a trick room it'll outspeed Alolan Marowak and KO it after rocks damage. It may not be too different but I like this set alot better because it's already an annoying mon to deal with, and any special attacks short of Mismagius ghost z or houndoom dark z really don't phase it at all. ( I added this because slowking altogether is an underrated mon. Literally slowbro and slowking are both so good you can viably run them together)

RK9

Arcanine @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 ATT / 4 SPD / 252 SPE
Jolly Nature

- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

This is another set from Lure That Threat that I think is actually really useful. This Drag Z set allows Arcanine to ohko the dragon threats that would otherwise destroy it. Goodra, Dragalge, and Tyrantrum are all OHKOd by the drag z, and being that Tyrant and Dragalge usually serve as a teams only true check to arcanine this set is amazing in some games, as arcanines flare blitz is already very scary to anything that doesn't resist it.​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)