Project RU Building Inspiration

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
approved by EviGaro

:ss/tangela::ss/heliolisk::ss/sneasel:
Hey there! This project is meant to serve as a place for inspiration when you're feeling stuck when building. Building Inspiration is a place where you can post underrated 'mons or cores within the meta, unlike heat thread the ideas should generally focus on interesting ways of taking advantage of the meta rather than just being fun. Additionally, you can post ideas for any past RU generation as well. It isn't super formal, but there are some rules that are to be followed when posting an idea:
  • Make sure to explain what the specific set or core does, for example if you post a specific EV spread make sure to explain what it does.
  • Make sure to specify what generation you are posting for.
  • We have the authority to delete your post if we feel that the idea isn't at all viable, for example bulky Cloyster. Generally though you're given the benefit of the doubt.
Example post:

SS:
:ss/Togekiss:

Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 212 HP / 44 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Air Slash
- Grass Knot
- Roost
- Flamethrower / Aura Sphere

This set is cool right now as its able to beat a lot of Togekiss' checks in the long run such as Steelix. Aura Sphere hits Stakataka while Flamethrower hits Bronzong and Metagross. The special attack EVs allow it to kill 240 HP / 16+ Atk / 252 SpDef Rhyperior with Grass Knot after rocks and an Air Slash.

:slurpuff::reuniclus:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 4 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Facade

Reuniclus @ Eject Button
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Recover

Idea is to switch Reuni in on something that Slurpuff can set up like scarf Flygon or Noivern and then proceed to sweep with Slurpuff. The moves on Reuni are open to a lot of experimentation as they aren't the make or break for this idea. 4 def EVs on Slurpuff guarantees it lives Steelix heavy slam from full.

:noivern:
Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 240 HP / 76 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost
- Flamethrower

Idea is to beat bulky steels like Regi or Zong that rely on passive damage from Toxic to 1v1 Noivern. Speed hits 363 (outspeeds Raikou) and spatk 2hkoes Rose with flamethrower. Removal of items from bulky steel or rock types is greatly appreciated.

:seismitoad:
Seismitoad @ Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance
- Power Whip

Idea is to just have it as a solo sweeper on some team but i really never fully fleshed it out, or never got a team i'm satisfied with.

:regidrago:
Regidrago @ Lum Berry
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Thunder Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute

Maximum Defense on Regidrago allows it to live Steelix's Earthquake with Substitute guaranteed and has some other practical uses like making it harder for Cobalion to revenge kill you, living Choice Scarf Flygon's Outrage, and making it more resliant against Darmanitan, which can be important for the hyper offense teams it thrives on.

:guzzlord:
Guzzlord @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Outrage

This one is simple, Choice Band Guzzlord is a pretty good wallbreaker with practical resistances against Pokemon like Celebi and Volcanion. It's difficult to wall since CB Outrage can 2HKO some of the tier's defensive Pokemon like Umbreon and bulky waters like Gastrodon or Milotic and it has the coverage for other stuff like Togekiss and Cobalion.

:weezing-galar:
Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Strange Steam
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Fairy + Poison + Fire is pretty good offensively, since Fire can slam the Steel-types which can take both poison and Fairy moves. With maximum investment pumped into SpA Weezing-G is a pretty decent wallbreaker, especially with Sludge Bomb's poison chance against bulkier foes like Milotic. Taunt could potentially stop Recovery from Pokemon like Milotic and Gastrodon. Now, this set doesn't really handle Crobat, so be sure to use it alongside a good Knock Off user like Heracross and the fourth moveslot could potentially be not Taunt, perhaps Will-O-Wisp or Corrosive Gas.

:Reuniclus::Ferroseed:
Reuniclus @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Recover
- Trick

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Protect

These two pokemon are great at chipping down your opponent with Black Sludge, Leech, and Spikes and can be handy for hazard stack cores. The Reun spread punishes Defog Volcanion who can clear the spikes. You do have to be mindful as there is a bit of anti synergy with Knock ferro and TrickSludge but you just have to be mindful.

:slurpuff::zoroark:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Facade / Sticky Web

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Memento

Fun HO core that you can build off of with really anything you want. I prefer running Webs > Facade, even on a Belly Drum bc webs makes Cobalion slower, which is helpful for the Zora. I also like Memento on the Zoro as I don't find running an extra move all that necessary. Even if you were to run Focus Blast to hit darks, clicking Memento lets the Slurpuff set up, and that's just more reliable.

:incineroar:
Incineroar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz / Close Combat
- Darkest Lariat

Another HO set, though I'm sure on specific balance builds it can disguise itself pretty well. I really like this as +1 outspeeds Coba and Flygon, though you are slower than Starmie. CC > Flare Blitz is fine too if ur really worried abt Staka and don't want the recoil

:raikou::suicune:
Raikou @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Substitute

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect / Ice beam / Toxic

I remember getting owned by this duo on a UU tour and I was like, lemme try this out in RU, and seeing someone use a Entei + cune on SCL also made me interested in testing this, and it actually did decently, the fact that both can cripple each other checks or outstall some of them made this actually functional, Cune can also afford to tweak its moveset if necessary to cripple mons w either toxic or IB
ps: Scarf flyg can simply lose to raikou w this set, since it so often can just pp stall EQs pp w tect + Subs

:articuno::sableye:
Sableye @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Prankster
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Articuno @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heal Bell
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Defog

A really solid stall core though can be a bit tricky to implement (stall can be hard to build in general). I thought of it when I was looking for Pokemon that don't lose to either Toxic or Taunt Nidoqueen and found Articuno. Articuno also has great utility in Defog / Heal Bell and it's faster than Xurkitree and Togekiss. Sableye deals with a lot of obnoxious mons like CP Metagross, Reuniclus, Obstagoon, and Snorlax. You can see this core in action in Mace's RU Invitational match against EviGaro: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ru-610708

:talonflame:
Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Talonflame is unique from the other birds as it can find a way past steel-types naturally and certain builds use steel-types as their only flying resist, making Brave Bird very free a lot of the time. It also has the speed to threaten electrics for damage, meaning they are not the safest switch-in either. Rhyperior and Diancie becoming popular is a negative for t-flame, but diancie usage is bound to drop with the likely Obstagoon ban. I like SD over u-turn to sweep, though im sure using t-flame as some sort of pivot on those rock-types also works. Flame Body is useful to punish opposing u-turn pivots.

:drapion:
Drapion @ Black Sludge / Shuca Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Drapion is very awkward for specific teams to handle due to the offensive synergy within its stabs, and this is boosted with the absence of Cobalion. Drapion also boasts only one weakness to ground, which can lure in Flygon to potentially hit with Ice Fang. STAB Knock Off, as proven with Obstagoon, is extremely difficult to handle. What sets it apart from Incineroar, which also has STAB Knock, is the base 95 speed, outspeeding the base 80s, Xurkitree and Timid Rose. Atm Obstagoon overshadows it, but with a likely ban coming in a week, drapion might become a more justified pick.

:Seismitoad:
Seismitoad @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Absorb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

CB toad has been seen before, though was more relevant before it rose to UU, but it can still work now as the grass-types have changed from Zarude, to Celebi and Roserade, which don't have the same bulk. Toad still serves as a decent breaker that surprises those who expect the standard defensive set, unleashing powerful attacks that rip holes through teams. Something i also like is it's scald immunity, which can often plague some of the other niche CB users in the tier. 4 attacks without band can also work but it can lack the power that is probably necessary.

:sceptile-mega:
Sceptile-Mega (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Attract
- Protect

There are a LOT of female Pokemon in SM RU. Cresselia, Mandibuzz, Nidoqueen, Salazzle, Florges... so why not try and abuse it? Realistically, it will only work on Mandibuzz, but given how popular of a Pokemon it is surely its usable, right?

:arcanine:
Arcanine @ Firium Z
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun
- Iron Head / Extreme Speed

arcanine is not used that often for fairly obvious reasons, but at the same time it's not really a bad breaker. pair this up with spikes / some mons that can punish bulky waters (and pdef donphan, variants without much defense can die to a fblitz + inferno overdrive even from full iirc) to make progress easier. i use iron head because fuck diancie, but extreme speed is probably better for late game shenanigans.

:whimsicott:
Whimsicott @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Leech Seed
- Taunt

very, very, very annoying mon to deal with. the combination of leech seed + taunt + rh is very nice against fatter teams. obviously not on the higher end of good grass types in a tier where grass types are very good but it has a p particular niche that makes it a fun choice.

:rotom-mow:
Rotom-Mow @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Hidden Power [Ice]

another niche grass. people loved to hate on this thing back in cg and it is p clunky, but grass + elec is never fun to really switch into, and wisp can make things annoying for viriz. hp ice obviously makes it so that you dont just Lose to sceptile

:donphan:
Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 40 Def / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Rapid Spin

im not really sure how often this was used anymore, so maybe this is boring - it's listed in OO on the analysis so it was at least acknowledged, but i love gunk shot on donphan to punish virizion. you sacrifice ice shard obviously but virizion is such a big centerpiece of teams that i think you can afford it.

:absol:
Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch/ Night Slash
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

So first of all let's talk about Absol, I got the idea to play this Pokemon because I wanted a Pokemon abusing the Diancie/Donphan/Metagross/Golispopod core that was really played a lot. The advantage of Absol is that you could easily knock off everything including Donphan and Golispod's berries clearly reducing their staying power. Iron tail prevents diancie from being able to stay on it. Finally Play rough punishes mandibuzz here which also allows to have a very correct mu against RegiBroMandi. Small bonus ! in addition to his coverage, each move can be a critical move thanks to super luck. The main drawback is that it won't do much against fast teams but in a meta where the two cores I mentioned are very played the Pokémon has an excellent place.

:raichu-alola:
Raichu-Alola @ Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Protect

For Raichu Alola my initial thing was yoooo i need something cool to revenge kill virizion and it's why I think first about him. Raichu Alola is clearly a fishing mu Pokemon because he has some strong strenght but also a lot of weakness. First of all, This pokémon clearly needs several things to work, a pokémon that can knock off Registeel as well and a big ground resistance (for example Tsareena is a very good partner for him). You can also play a glare user (THE GOAT SERVINE ???) to be able to paralyze flygon scarf one of the pokémon that annoy him the most. Apart from its ability to revenge kill virizion, this pokemon easily destroys RegiBroMandibuzz once the registeel is knocked and it can be very dangerous against most offensive teams if it has spikes support.

:eelektross:
Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 216 HP / 40 SpA / 216 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

It's one of the only Pokemon who don't work really in tournament but Bouff mention him not long ago so I'll just explain its usefulness. I simply wanted a pivot that could knock off registeel while winning his duel against nidoqueen. His spread is made to have better rolls against him and he is a little bit speedcreep for people who don't put any speed on their donphan. If you ever use it I clearly advise you to have a good virizion check because he can abuse you easily.

:haunter:
Haunter @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
- Substitute

Maybe the best Pokemon here to be honest Haunter deserve clearly a rank in the viabilty ranking but it's not the debate here. It may seem surprising but I was probably the first to build on haunter long before it was played in the Smogon Snake draft but my idea leaked. At first I wanted to play this at the major against Ajna but being afraid to play something weird I backed out at the last moment. Anyway, let's talk about haunter, it's literally a Pokémon that can destroy teams with Registeel by itslef. If registeel is on the field you just have to hard on it like an idiot and you have a free subs. From there you can literally do WHAT YOU WANT, if your opponent has a slow ground you can spam Thunder to paralyze registeel and inevitably win the duel with Shadow Ball, if your opponent goes on flygon you can just spam Shadow Ball, if your opponent goes on Mandibuzz you can Sludge Bomb and throw your Z move. You have to play the matchup well against pursuit trappers and not put it down like that, but if you are under a sub you are generally safe against most of them so it is not a dead matchup.

:oricorio-sensu:
Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane

For finish I close this thread with one of the Pokémon in my favorite SMRU team. Oricorio Sensu is very similar to Haunter, you clearly want to abuse Registeel but you need a little more support (like a pokémon that can u turn on registeel) but it has a bigger carry potential. Im going to describe it less because it really does the same thing as haunter but you have to think that being able to set up on registeel and having a Z that can't really be blocked since generally the steel type is the ONLY flying resist makes the pokémon really interesting.

:articuno:
Articuno @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog

Articuno is able to pull its weight in so many matchups due to the fact it beats nearly all stealth rockers and also through the fact it has access to freeze dry. Articuno is especially nice as it beats the everpresent Venu, Flygon and Registeel while not being super prone to being pursuit trapped. Another boon that Articuno offers is that it pairs very well withh Alomomola as it has access to heal bell which helps in the 12.5% burn gen.

:venusaur::tangela:
Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 24 SpA / 220 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Growth

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Synthesis

This core is mainly built on the fact that Tangela beats Virizion and knocks steels and poisons which frees up Venusaur to run a spdef growth set which is super potent lategame. Furthermore, you are able to absorb scald burns with Tangela to allow Venusaur the passive recovery that it so desperately wants.

:musharna:
Musharna @ Tanga Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight
- Psychic

Musharna is basically just an attempt at taking advantage of bp being allowed in bw ru. Tanga berry is so that you can potentially pass to a Magneton and trap Durant/Escavalier if they decide to go for a bug-type move, especially in Durant's case.

:sigilyph:
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Roost
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power

In a generation with so few viable darks and burn being so broken and the nonexistance of knockoff psycho shift sigilyph is really quite cool. Cosmic power is awful aesthetically but it works so I don't think there is any reason to switch to Calm Mind, especially not with all the Aerodactyls flying around threatening with Stone Edge.

Last edited:

Mac3

SS: :ss/slurpuff: + :ss/reuniclus:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 248 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Facade

Reuniclus @ Eject Button
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Recover

Idea is to switch Reuni in on something that Slurpuff can set up like scarf Flygon or Noivern and then proceed to sweep with Slurpuff. The moves on Reuni are open to a lot of experimentation as they aren't the make or break for this idea. 4 def EVs on Slurpuff guarantees it lives Steelix heavy slam from full.

SS: :ss/noivern:
Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 240 HP / 76 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Roost
- Flamethrower

Idea is to beat bulky steels like Regi or Zong that rely on passive damage from Toxic to 1v1 Noivern. Speed hits 363 (outspeeds Raikou) and spatk 2hkoes Rose with flamethrower. Removal of items from bulky steel or rock types is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Cool thread!

SS
537.png

Seismitoad @ Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance
- Power Whip

Idea is to just have it as a solo sweeper on some team but i really never fully fleshed it out, or never got a team i'm satisfied with.

SM
mega scep.png

Sceptile-Mega (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Attract
- Protect

There are a LOT of female Pokemon in SM RU. Cresselia, Mandibuzz, Nidoqueen, Salazzle, Florges... so why not try and abuse it? Realistically, it will only work on Mandibuzz, but given how popular of a Pokemon it is surely its usable, right?

Nothing for ORAS yet, i don't build in it :p
aaaand nothing for BW as well, the metagame was already shaked up too much by my Skuntank, i'll let the tier breathe for a moment.

Very cool thread, hope to see more stuff soon!

Last edited:
SS
:ss/Regidrago:
Regidrago @ Lum Berry
Ability: Dragon's Maw
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Thunder Fang
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
Maximum Defense on Regidrago allows it to live Steelix's Earthquake with Substitute guaranteed and has some other practical uses like making it harder for Cobalion to revenge kill you, living Choice Scarf Flygon's Outrage, and making it more resliant against Darmanitan, which can be important for the hyper offense teams it thrives on.

SS
:ss/guzzlord:

Guzzlord @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Outrage

This one is simple, Choice Band Guzzlord is a pretty good wallbreaker with practical resistances against Pokemon like Celebi and Volcanion. It's difficult to wall since CB Outrage can 2HKO some of the tier's defensive Pokemon like Umbreon and bulky waters like Gastrodon or Milotic and it has the coverage for other stuff like Togekiss and Cobalion.

SS
:ss/Weezing-Galar:

Weezing-Galar @ Black Sludge / Heavy-Duty Boots
Modest Nature
- Strange Steam
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Fairy + Poison + Fire is pretty good offensively, since Fire can slam the Steel-types which can take both poison and Fairy moves. With maximum investment pumped into SpA Weezing-G is a pretty decent wallbreaker, especially with Sludge Bomb's poison chance against bulkier foes like Milotic. Taunt could potentially stop Recovery from Pokemon like Milotic and Gastrodon. Now, this set doesn't really handle Crobat, so be sure to use it alongside a good Knock Off user like Heracross and the fourth moveslot could potentially be not Taunt, perhaps Will-O-Wisp or Corrosive Gas..

going to post a few things i had built for SM RU cup finals two years ago or that i built when sm was the main tier; idr if these were used or not but i did go on a building spree numerous times back then so i figured i would share these

SM:

:arcanine:
Arcanine @ Firium Z
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun
- Iron Head / Extreme Speed

arcanine is not used that often for fairly obvious reasons, but at the same time it's not really a bad breaker. pair this up with spikes / some mons that can punish bulky waters (and pdef donphan, variants without much defense can die to a fblitz + inferno overdrive even from full iirc) to make progress easier. i use iron head because fuck diancie, but extreme speed is probably better for late game shenanigans.

:whimsicott:
Whimsicott @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Leech Seed
- Taunt

very, very, very annoying mon to deal with. the combination of leech seed + taunt + rh is very nice against fatter teams. obviously not on the higher end of good grass types in a tier where grass types are very good but it has a p particular niche that makes it a fun choice.

:rotom-mow:
Rotom-Mow @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Hidden Power [Ice]

another niche grass. people loved to hate on this thing back in cg and it is p clunky, but grass + elec is never fun to really switch into, and wisp can make things annoying for viriz. hp ice obviously makes it so that you dont just Lose to sceptile

:donphan:
Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 40 Def / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Rapid Spin

im not really sure how often this was used anymore, so maybe this is boring - it's listed in OO on the analysis so it was at least acknowledged, but i love gunk shot on donphan to punish virizion. you sacrifice ice shard obviously but virizion is such a big centerpiece of teams that i think you can afford it.

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
Hello everyone, this thread looked like fun and I wanted to contribute. Hope you are inspired (or if not hope you enjoy)! All SS btw

TrickyBarb Reun + Ferroseed
:Reuniclus::Ferroseed:
Reuniclus @ Sticky Barb
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Recover
- Trick

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Protect
These two pokemon are great at chipping down your opponent with Barb, Leech, and Spikes and can be handy for hazard stack cores. The Reun spread punishes Defog Volcanion who can clear the spikes. You do have to be mindful as there is a bit of anti synergy with Knock ferro and TrickBarb but you just have to be mindful.

Slurpuff Zora
:slurpuff::zoroark:
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Facade / Sticky Web

Zoroark @ Life Orb
Ability: Illusion
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Memento

Fun HO core that you can build off of with really anything you want. I prefer running Webs > Facade, even on a Belly Drum bc webs makes Cobalion slower, which is helpful for the Zora. I also like Memento on the Zoro as I don't find running an extra move all that necessary. Even if you were to run Focus Blast to hit darks, clicking Memento lets the Slurpuff set up, and that's just more reliable.

BU WP Incin
:incineroar:
Incineroar @ Weakness Policy
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz / Close Combat
- Darkest Lariat

Another HO set, though I'm sure on specific balance builds it can disguise itself pretty well. I really like this as +1 outspeeds Coba and Flygon, though you are slower than Starmie. CC > Flare Blitz is fine too if ur really worried abt Staka and don't want the recoil

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
SS
Trouble? Make it double

1646280970166.png
1646280995003.png

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Substitute

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect / Ice beam / Toxic

I remember getting owned by this duo on a UU tour and I was like, lemme try this out in RU, and seeing someone use a Entei + cune on SCL also made me interested in testing this, and it actually did decently, the fact that both can cripple each other checks or outstall some of them made this actually functional, Cune can also afford to tweak its moveset if necessary to cripple mons w either toxic or IB
ps: Scarf flyg can simply lose to raikou w this set, since it so often can just pp stall EQs pp w tect + Subs

GoldCat

BOSSARU CUP WINNER
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a defending SCL Champion
SS:
+

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Sap Sipper
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb / Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Surf

Cobalion @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch / Stone Edge
Specs Goodra is an underappreciated and underexplored wallbreaker with nice defensive value. Its Draco and coverage are really difficult to switch into for most with few exceptions like Umbreon, which is where Cobalion comes in. SD Cobalion is a great way to punish Umbreon's Wishes and I especially like Volt to pivot Goodra in against the likes of Jellicent. You can of course use Stone Edge or other options if the team needs it. I hope you give Goodra a try, as it's honestly really solid and satisfying to use.
SS:
+

Sableye @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Taunt

Articuno @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heal Bell
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Defog
A really solid stall core though can be a bit tricky to implement (stall can be hard to build in general). I thought of it when I was looking for Pokemon that don't lose to either Toxic or Taunt Nidoqueen and found Articuno. Articuno also has great utility in Defog / Heal Bell and it's faster than Xurkitree and Togekiss. Sableye deals with a lot of obnoxious mons like CP Metagross, Reuniclus, Obstagoon, and Snorlax. You can see this core in action in Mace's RU Invitational match against EviGaro: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ru-610708

Hello everyone ! I will post some unmon that I play a lot in SMRU and that i think they are pretty good in the current metagame, I don't wanna post everything but I will talk about the more interessing/revealed. Also I'm so busy to search the replay but I play EVERY Pokemon on this thread in RUPL/RU SNAKE.

The BOY

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch/ Night Slash
- Play Rough
- Iron Tail

So first of all let's talk about Absol,
I got the idea to play this Pokemon because I wanted a Pokemon abusing the Diancie/Donphan/Metagross/Golispopod core that was really played a lot. The advantage of Absol is that you could easily knock off everything including Donphan and Golispod's berries clearly reducing their staying power. Iron tail prevents diancie from being able to stay on it. Finally Play rough punishes mandibuzz here which also allows to have a very correct mu against RegiBroMandi. Small bonus ! in addition to his coverage, each move can be a critical move thanks to super luck. The main drawback is that it won't do much against fast teams but in a meta where the two cores I mentioned are very played the Pokémon has an excellent place.

The SURFER

Raichu-Alola @ Aloraichium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Protect

For Raichu Alola my initial thing was yoooo i need something cool to revenge kill virizion and it's why I think first about him. Raichu Alola is clearly a fishing mu Pokemon because he has some strong strenght but also a lot of weakness. First of all, This pokémon clearly needs several things to work, a pokémon that can knock off Registeel as well and a big ground resistance (for example Tsareena is a very good partner for him). You can also play a glare user (THE GOAT SERVINE ???) to be able to paralyze flygon scarf one of the pokémon that annoy him the most. Apart from its ability to revenge kill virizion, this pokemon easily destroys RegiBroMandibuzz once the registeel is knocked and it can be very dangerous against most offensive teams if it has spikes support.

The SNAKE

SERP (Eelektross) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 216 HP / 40 SpA / 216 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain

It's one of the only Pokemon who don't work really in tournament but Bouff mention him not long ago so I'll just explain its usefulness. I simply wanted a pivot that could knock off registeel while winning his duel against nidoqueen. His spread is made to have better rolls against him and he is a little bit speedcreep for people who don't put any speed on their donphan. If you ever use it I clearly advise you to have a good virizion check because he can abuse you easily.

The HUNTER

Haunter @ Electrium Z
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunder
- Substitute

Maybe the best Pokemon here to be honest Haunter deserve clearly a rank in the viabilty ranking but it's not the debate here. It may seem surprising but I was probably the first to build on haunter long before it was played in the Smogon Snake draft but my idea leaked. At first I wanted to play this at the major against Ajna but being afraid to play something weird I backed out at the last moment. Anyway, let's talk about haunter, it's literally a Pokémon that can destroy teams with Registeel by itslef. If registeel is on the field you just have to hard on it like an idiot and you have a free subs. From there you can literally do WHAT YOU WANT, if your opponent has a slow ground you can spam Thunder to paralyze registeel and inevitably win the duel with Shadow Ball, if your opponent goes on flygon you can just spam Shadow Ball, if your opponent goes on Mandibuzz you can Sludge Bomb and throw your Z move. You have to play the matchup well against pursuit trappers and not put it down like that, but if you are under a sub you are generally safe against most of them so it is not a dead matchup.

The DANCER

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Revelation Dance
- Hurricane

For finish I close this thread with one of the Pokémon in my favorite SMRU team. Oricorio Sensu is very similar to Haunter, you clearly want to abuse Registeel but you need a little more support (like a pokémon that can u turn on registeel) but it has a bigger carry potential. Im going to describe it less because it really does the same thing as haunter but you have to think that being able to set up on registeel and having a Z that can't really be blocked since generally the steel type is the ONLY flying resist makes the pokémon really interesting.

I finish this thread for the moment maybe I will maybe post again in the future but I hope that you understand the process of these unmon and that you will have totally cursed ideas like me !

Last edited:

Mac3

decided it was time to add some oras and bw ideas to this project, Feliburn might be ur turn soon tbh.

ORAS

:articuno:
Articuno @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Freeze-Dry
- Defog

Articuno is able to pull its weight in so many matchups due to the fact it beats nearly all stealth rockers and also through the fact it has access to freeze dry. Articuno is especially nice as it beats the everpresent Venu, Flygon and Registeel while not being super prone to being pursuit trapped. Another boon that Articuno offers is that it pairs very well withh Alomomola as it has access to heal bell which helps in the 12.5% burn gen.

:venusaur::tangela:
Venusaur (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 248 HP / 24 SpA / 220 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Growth

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Relaxed Nature
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Synthesis

This core is mainly built on the fact that Tangela beats Virizion and knocks steels and poisons which frees up Venusaur to run a spdef growth set which is super potent lategame. Furthermore, you are able to absorb scald burns with Tangela to allow Venusaur the passive recovery that it so desperately wants.

BW

:musharna:
Musharna @ Tanga Berry
Ability: Synchronize
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Moonlight
- Psychic

Musharna is basically just an attempt at taking advantage of bp being allowed in bw ru. Tanga berry is so that you can potentially pass to a Magneton and trap Durant/Escavalier if they decide to go for a bug-type move, especially in Durant's case.

:sigilyph:
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Roost
- Psycho Shift
- Stored Power

In a generation with so few viable darks and burn being so broken and the nonexistance of knockoff psycho shift sigilyph is really quite cool. Cosmic power is awful aesthetically but it works so I don't think there is any reason to switch to Calm Mind, especially not with all the Aerodactyls flying around threatening pursuit.

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
wanted to not let this thread die and share some fun things I've been trying. All SS btw

SD Roost T-Flame
:talonflame:
Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Talonflame is unique from the other birds as it can find a way past steel-types naturally and certain builds use steel-types as their only flying resist, making Brave Bird very free a lot of the time. It also has the speed to threaten electrics for damage, meaning they are not the safest switch-in either. Rhyperior and Diancie becoming popular is a negative for t-flame, but diancie usage is bound to drop with the likely Obstagoon ban. I like SD over u-turn to sweep, though im sure using t-flame as some sort of pivot on those rock-types also works. Flame Body is useful to punish opposing u-turn pivots.

SD Drapion
:drapion:
Drapion @ Black Sludge / Shuca Berry
Ability: Battle Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab / Ice Fang
- Earthquake

Drapion is very awkward for specific teams to handle due to the offensive synergy within its stabs, and this is boosted with the absence of Cobalion. Drapion also boasts only one weakness to ground, which can lure in Flygon to potentially hit with Ice Fang. STAB Knock Off, as proven with Obstagoon, is extremely difficult to handle. What sets it apart from Incineroar, which also has STAB Knock, is the base 95 speed, outspeeding the base 80s, Xurkitree and Timid Rose. Atm Obstagoon overshadows it, but with a likely ban coming in a week, drapion might become a more justified pick.

CB Seismitoad
:Seismitoad:
Seismitoad @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Absorb
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

CB toad has been seen before, though was more relevant before it rose to UU, but it can still work now as the grass-types have changed from Zarude, to Celebi and Roserade, which don't have the same bulk. Toad still serves as a decent breaker that surprises those who expect the standard defensive set, unleashing powerful attacks that rip holes through teams. Something i also like is it's scald immunity, which can often plague some of the other niche CB users in the tier. 4 attacks without band can also work but it can lack the power that is probably necessary.

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Flygon
Flygon @ Soft Sand / Dragon Fang
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- U-turn
- Dragon Dance

-SSH RU

Flygon is one of, if not the most defining pokemon in RU. It's most common set by far is choice scarf, as it easily revenge kills the biggest threats in the meta, such as Rhyperior and Xurcitree. It's biggest compliment to this job is u-turn. U-turn lets this flygon easily bluff a scarf set, meaning that walls like milotic will rarely falter swapping in, as they are barely even 3HKO'd by scarf sets. This set however, aims to u-turn in the early game, which pretty much confirms to the opponent that it's scarf. This is also due to Flygon's great matchup againt the common stealth rockers in the tier, such as Metagross and Registeel. This matchup spread lets flygon easily force out switches right from the lead, which will 'confirm' to the opponent that youre scarf as you should almost always u-turn on the lead. The goal of this Flygon is to make the opponent think it's scarf in the earlygame, and dragon dance in the lategame, causing for an easy sweep, as common walls will most likely be chipped and unable to handle a +1 Flygon. Soft sand or dragon fang allow you to do immense damage with a stab of your choice, but soft sand is preffered as you dont have to lock into earthquake as opposed to outrage.

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Sharpedo
Sharpedo @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Endure / Ice Fang
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Destiny Bond

-SSH RU

Sharpedo is one of the most frightening cleaners in RU. It has high attack and strong STABs, making it hard to wall despite it having no reliable way to raise it’s attack other than life orb. Due to this, many bulkier teams rely on pivoting around and having Sharpedo wear itself out. This set is different. This set is initially weak, but i makes use of Sharpedo’s frailty to it’s advantage with liechi berry. RU is home to many bulky waters, such as Milotic and Suicune, both of which will be forced to scald Sharpedo. This is exactly according to plan. It lures in buly waters and KO’s them with destiny bond, opening a huge hole for teammates such as Flygon and Entei. Endure let’s it reliably get liechi berry activation and easily puts it within destiny bond range for every attack as it stays at 1 HP. This set is easily revenge killed by priority users such as Golisopod and espeed-locked Entei. This Sharpedo needs team support to be an effective cleaner, as it needs at least minor chip on many targets in order to OHKO them reliably. Golisopod is the best counter for this set, as it isn't 2HKO'd by anything Sharpedo throws at it, and can OHKO it back with First Impression. This can be fixed however by running a flying type like Noivern or Crobat.

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Steelix @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish / Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail / Iron Head
- Thunder Fang / Rock Slide
- Earthquake

-SSH RU

Steelix is a staple of balance thanks to it's sturdiness and utility, but let's not forget it has the same attacking stat that Nidoking has on its special side. Sheer Force boosted Iron Tail and Earthquake OHKO's or 2HKO's pretty much the whole tier without them even knowing what came at them. Rock Polish or Dragon Dance lets Steelix outspeed everything that threatens to KO it, and pokemon that are faster than it after a rock polish can't even dent it. Steelix can 2HKO a pokemon as bulky as physdef Gastrodon, IntimTop and bulky waters with a little bit of chip. This is also helped out my Steelix's high natural bulk, letting it survive at least one hit from all of these. Rock Slide can be used instead of Thunder Fang, as it's only use is to hit Mantine, which already struggles swapping into Sheer Force boosted Rock slides. Of course this set does have a few faults, as it doesn't offer any support or utility, and requires a seperate rocks setter, as well as having to hit many Iron Tails in a row or using a weaker STAB in Iron Head.

yonitet

Banned deucer.
Entei
Entei @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Eruption
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge

SSH RU

Entei is an extremely underrated wallbreaker in RU. It's Sacred Fires are some of the scariest thing to swap into for any team barring balance teams with Milotic. Mixed Entei takes advantage of it's decently high special attack to fire off monstrous Eruptions that can 2HKO physical walls like Golisopod. Because this set doesn't run Choice Band, it can afford to run Boots and preserve it's Eruption's power. This set can run full speed but it's mostly unnecessary as the only thing that max speed will do is let it speedtie with Flygon, who runs Choice Scarf more often than not. Since this set struggles greatly with bulky waters like Milotic, it's perfectly suited with a teammate like Vaporeon who can shield it from incoming water type attacks, while passing it wishes that can restore the BP of Eruption in a long game. Since most Entei are Choice Banded, this set can potentially also bluff a Choice Band if hazards aren't on the field. Of course the downside of not having a Choice Band makes this Entei hit a lot weaker, but still respectably strong when combined with it's support value of spreading burns with Sacred Fire. Extreme Speed is optional but provides good priority that can not be overlooked.

Aqua Jet

Stardew
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
SS RU
:SS/Flareon:
Golden (Flareon) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Bite
- Facade

I was initially going to bring this against Ninja in RU Cup but chickened out in favor of bringing something a little more standard. Flame Charge is generally a cool move that boots its Speed, improving the matchup against offensive teams by allowing it to outpace things like Gardevoir at +1. Flare Blitz is the primary STAB move since Flareon's movepool is shit and it allows you to nuke something on the opposing team. Bite is solely for Chandelure, which would otherwise completely stop Flareon. Facade 2HKO's bulky Water-types such as Milotic. The EVs outpace Metagross with the rest in bulk. When building around this set, it is imperative that it is paired with [double] hazard removal, as between Stealth Rock + Flare Blitz + Toxic damage Flareon can get worn down incredibly easily. It's not easy to build around or use but it's good nevertheless and I thought I'd share it. Wish support is also nice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)