Other Metagames RU Alpha: Gardevoir & Friends!

Totally original title, right?

Anyway, hi. I wanted to post my team for some assistance in the new RU alpha tier. I don't know if it's a bit soon? Since the tier did start a few days ago and things are kinda a mess down there lol. But, I wanted to take a shot at the tier anyway. I've been having a bit of trouble getting pass 1200+ on the latter. So, mind giving me a hand? I'm also gonna throw my own ideas and you guys tell me if they are good.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Thunderbolt / Trick
- Shadow Ball

Gardevoir is the star of the show of course. And my main special sweeper, I liked Scarf Gardevoir way back before mega-garde was ever a thing. In RU, she actually can dent, and revenge kill alot of the current tier. Mostly Gardevoir can handle dealing damage on most of the common threats in the tier respectively. I've been debating Tbolt as a means of extra coverage, but I'm not really sure who this gives me extra coverage against persay. I could say Togekiss, for potentially 2HKOing since it is running around oftenly in the tier.

VS: Fully SDef Togekiss: 252 SpA Gardevoir Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Togekiss: 138-164 (36.8 - 43.8%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

VS: Fully SDef Togekiss: 252 SpA Gardevoir Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 170-202 (45.4 - 54%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Accelerock
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Lycanroc is probably the fastest lead in RU right now even beating Froslass and other base 110 mons in the tier if they're not scarfed. I use Lycanroc mainly to get up my rocks, and taunt other leads so they don't get their hazards up themselves. I also use Stone Edge mainly for any real chip damage on anything on the tier just as a means to wear down switchins after they take the rocks damage. I use Accelrock for mons who could be faster than me, or have a priority move to finish me off. Just to again get more chip damage on the target.

Sandslash-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Next is Alolan Sandslash who I use as my special wall. I was a bit unimpressed with it's typing you know being x4 weak to Fire, and Fighting which are very common types in just about any tier. But, Alolan Sandslash actually has made this work out pretty good for me. It's a pretty good switch in to alot of the special attackers in the tier. I run Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash cause I've been more defensive when it comes to accuracy reasons. I really dislike when you have a good prediction and Icicle Crash misses making you have to play a different style as you would before. I've been debating Knock Off on Sandslash so I wouldn't have to rely on one of my other members to do the work for it. I could just in that turn maybe click something else. But, I do like the coverage EQ has given me with Sandslash as of far.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast / Heal Bell
- Roost

Speaking of one of the things Gardevoir needs to deal with. Togekiss is mainly my defensive mon on my team/cleric. Togekiss is running the standard set it has always been running since forever ago. So, I don't really think I need to explain why I use it. I've been debating Heal Bell cause I've been having problems with status such as unwanted burns, and poison wearing down my mons. However, I really do love the coverage on Fire Blast cause it allows me to deal with heavy threats like Lucario who're running rampant in the tier right now. Most are running the SD, CC, Extremespeed, and Ice Punch set meaning that Togekiss can take a +2 Ice Punch and I can proceed to heavily wound Lucario with a Fire Blast.

VS Lucario: +2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 309-367 (82.6 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

VS Lucario: 8 SpA Togekiss Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 248-294 (88.2 - 104.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower / Poison Jab / Iron Tail

Haxorus is really just my clean up mon coming in to set up to +1 and proceeding to kill everything in its pathway. I before had Flygon on this team but it wasn't cutting it cause even after +1 it was missing out on it's kills making it harder for me to play. So, I added Haxorus in to do the same as Flygon but with it being a bit more forceful in doing the job. I've having trouble picking a last and final move. I've been messing around with all of them. I see Superpower as a means to deal with some mons namely things like Bronzong if I didn't want my other mons to take damage, or get statused. But. fairies do easily come in on it now and proceed to give it a hard time. I was debating Iron Tail specifically for Diancie as it's been giving me a bit of trouble if it turns out to have HP Fire.

Crawdaunt @ Choice Band
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall / Crabhammer
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Crswdaunt is my last slot not necessary as my sweeper but more so as my wounder if you will. I know the wording sounds a bit weird but it's the best way to put it. Crawdaunt is well a absolute beast and I wanted to use it's power as much as I could cause not alot can even switch into Crawdaunt effectively without taking heavy, or considerable amounts of damage even mons who resist its STABs are still wounded badly by Crawdaunt. I've been more lenient towards Waterfall than Crabhammer cause of its accuracy. I know 90% is not bad, but it has missed more than many times for me to consider going to lesser route going 20 base power weaker than Crabhammer which is at 100.

Well, this is the team. Do you guys recommend anything from new mons to try, and or movesets to fix. I'd appreciate all the help.

Alolan Sandslash isn't that good without hail. I'd pick this as a special wall>
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
after two calm minds, this becomes almost unbreakable from the special side, and scald is annoying due to spreading burns. This pokemon is harder to take down due to rest.

Sup, since no one has given you a complete rate, I will.

I like the offensive core of Crawdaunt plus Haxorus -- they really do work well together to eliminate mutual checks (bulky water types, fairies). That, plus the focal point of the team (Gardevoir), is what I will try to support with this rate.

Issues I noticed:

There is a lot of inefficiency in your build I notice. You are running a dedicated lead, and this isn't really something that is good unless your team is hyper offensive, which yours isnt. Secondly, running Alolan Sandslash without hail as a dedicated spinner doesn't really take advantage of its offensive capabilities, and there are much better Pokemon at that role. Thirdly, aside from limited speed control with T-Wave, Togekiss doesn't really accomplish much here aside from being a good dark and fighting resist; this team slot could be filled with something else honestly. Finally, aside from scarf Gardevoir, hyper offensive and momentum-inclined teams really mess you up, because you don't really have the defensive backbone of a dedicated stall/semi-stall team, yet lack the means of really revenge killing or pressuring Pokemon on offence aside from Gardevoir. Anyways, let's get into the changes.

Changes:

1. Life Orb Tornadus>Togekiss. The set I am recommending maintains the speed control Togekiss provides with Tailwind, yet unlike Togekiss, pressures faster teams more effectively by virtue of its great speed tier. Furthermore, with U-Turn, you can effectively get in your other wallbreakers (Crawdaunt and Haxorus) for free. Heat Wave or Focus Blast are both decent options in the last moveslot, though I prefer heat wave to hit Metagross and Escavalier harder, while not missing as much. Here is the set I recommend:
Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Tailwind
- Heat Wave / Focus Blast
- U-turn

2. Dragonium Z>Lum Berry on Haxorus. Your team really struggles against breaking through bulky water types, especially Suicune. Furthermore, being locked into outrage and giving free switches into fairies isn't something any team appreciates. Thus, running Dragonium Z allows Haxorus to blow back Pokemon like Suicune without even setting up, and gives it the freedom to fire off a STAB attack without being locked into outrage. The best way to use this set is to use your Z-Move on some fat Pokemon that would otherwise wall you (Porygon2, Suicune, etc.), and then later in the match setup and sweep. Poison jab really is essential given the dominance of Togekiss and Florges, plus superpower really doesn't hit anything relevant that earthquake hits. Here's the set I recommend:
Haxorus @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab

3. Metagross>Alolan Sandslash. Metagross gives you a much more reliable answer to fairies, and also gives you rocks which your team lacks (it will lack them given my final change). The set I recommend is able to OHKO 252 HP Togekiss with meteor mash after rocks, while optimizing special bulk to take on the aforementioned fairies; the speed is just to creep other base 70 speed Pokemon. Zen headbutt is essential to not be setup bait for Feraligatr, while earthquake ensures that Entei doesn't get free switches against you. Here's the set I recommend:
New-meta (Metagross) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 132 HP / 56 Atk / 184 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

4. Defensive Hitmontop>lead Lycanroc. Looking at your team now, you lack hazard removal and a solid dark resist. After some thought, defensive Hitmontop fits nicely here. It gives you both of these plus priority which helps against the aforementioned issues your team has versus offensive teams. The set is fairly standard, but with mach punch>foresight because spinblockers aren't too common, and your team matches up well against them anyways (Crawdaunt destroys Doublade and Chandelure). Here's the set I recommend:
Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Toxic

That is all for the changes, I hope that this was helpful! If you have questions let me know!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)