Role Playing Approval Center (Update 5-12-13)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Role Playing is central to non-battle progression in the ASB. This thread's purpose is to act as an area to propose your Role-Playing experience. I will be happy to discuss anything you need with you and help you build up your Role-Playing shop.

Currently the "currency" of CAP ASB is Trainer Counters. Insofar as they are used to purchase items and capture new Pokemon at the end of battle, they serve primarily as rewards for engaging in the player vs. player element of the ASB. Role-playing is a little different. The "currency" of Role-Playing is time. What you want to do is set up a good story for the players in the league.

A common element of ASBs for example is the Safari Zone. I've worked in systems that use monetary currency and they offer certain "packages" that increase in value as the cost goes up. While I'm not entirely averse to using Trainer Counters to enhance certain features of role playing, I primarily want it to be about the experience.

To reiterate, the most important thing about Role-Playing is time. This means the time of you and anyone you employ in your RP to guide trainers through it. You and your staff's time will be compensated through Business Tokens, which act as a Trainer Counter that can be used on your Pokemon as well as items. Generally this is based on a salary of a certain number of posts per week in traffic and responses, which is certainly up for discussion.

So please submit your role-playing ideas. It can be anything from a Safari Zone to a Dojo to a Training Camp, just tell me how you want it to progress the trainer's Pokemon and what features will be available. Thank you.

Roleplaying Approval Team:

Dogfish44
Maxim
Exclaimer

These three people are charged with overviewing and approving all new Roleplaying games, and must agree unanimously. They are tasked with asking questions about how a trainer will progress through your RP, how it will flow, and making sure that payment is comparable to that of existing Roleplaying games. They will also maintain this thread and be responsible for transitioning any Roleplay whose owner has quit, been inactive, etc.

Roleplaying Rules:

Role Plays are based on entering individual Pokemon in a time and place set apart from the rest of the ASB, thus Roleplay rules apply to specific Pokemon.

1. The same Pokemon cannot be in two different Role Plays at once.
2. A Pokemon cannot enter new battles while in a Role Play. By the same token, if you have a Pokemon currently in a battle, it cannot be used in a Role Play. Each of your Pokemon must be idling or in either Battles or Role Play, not both.
3. You must update your profile with the Role Plays your Pokemon are in as soon as you enter them. Always provide a link.

As these rules were not yet codified, no violators can be punished retroactively.

Roleplay Reffing:

Most, if not all, of the roleplays have referees to take on the duties that are required by the roleplay when the owner is unable to accommodate any more challengers/visitors/etc. These referees are paid to do this work, but in order to become one, you must undergo an application specific to each roleplay, as they range from reffing to battling to writing prose. If you have a desire to become a referee for a roleplay, it is encouraged that you submit an application or talk directly to the owner; there's no possible downside.

Approved Roleplays:

These are all in the early stages and we're working out kinks. Sorry, no refunds!

Arcanite's Contest Hall - Contest I
Arcanite's Contest Hall - Contest II

ASB Raid Zone General Thread

Battle Castle Preparations
Battle Castle Challenges

Battle Subway Preparations
Battle Subway Challenge Thread
Battle Subway Claims Thread

Battle Hall Preparations
Battle Hall Challenge Signups (Mark I - Outdated)
Battle Hall Challenge Signups (Mark II)

Battle Pike - Signups

The Labyrinth (Alpha)

The Legend Run - Sign-Up / Main Thread

Pokechess (Alpha)

Last edited by a moderator:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Concept: Acklow's Berry Pies

Category: Berry Orchard

Bio: An orchard that sells only Oran, Sitrus, Leppa, and Razz Berries.

Description: This orchard is a small orchard kept by yours truly. Each berry will be sold for market price value. However, there is a limit to each berry. Since this shop has just been opened up only a certain amount of each berry can be sold, as they are reused to grow more. Each berry will take a certain amount of time to grow, for example: the Oran Berry will take 4 days total to produce 5 Berries, whereas the Sitrus Berry will take 8 days total to grow and produce 5 Berries. Berries will be sold in three different manners:
-Pre-picked Berry Baskets
-Manually picked Singles
-Manually picked Berry Baskets

Pre-picked Berry Baskets will contain one of each berry and will cost 2 Trainer Counters above market price due to the berries being pre-picked.

Trainers can also manually pick their berries, however priority for where berries go first are lower here than if they are Pre-Picked, so trainers may not always find what they need here. Singles will be sold at market value. If manually picked in bulk, trainers will recieve a 1 Trainer Counter discount for every 4 berries picked, due to their efforts in picking a bulk of berries.

Trainers can also purchase a small patch of soil that can grow up to three plants at once. These will be sold for 25 Trainer Counters a piece. Trainers will receive one free Oran Berry with their purchase and will be able to grow their own berries for free here.

Acklow's Berry Pies also will provide positions for any Trainer interested in making income.

Acklow's Berry Pies is also willing to purchase fertilizer from any vendors willing to sell for a reasonable price.

Basically, the point of this shop is to provide simple items for the basic trainer. Items that are sold here put an emphasis on HP and Energy Restoration.

I don't know if it qualifies, but I think ASB is the ideal ruleset for a gym league. There are several reasons for this:

1) Reduced impact of weaknesses/resistances: Due to the way damage is calculated, running all Pokémon of the same type is not much of a disadvantage as it is in the cart game
2) Arena managing: Since I guess the gym leader would be the one designing the arena, he could easily take advantage of running a mono-type team. Let's say for example someone runs a mono-Fire team. Packing a Water or Ground mon may seem an easy win, but if the arena is a series of volcanic peaks, beating that Charizard may be a bit harder than it would look at first.
3) Wide movepools: In ASB, a Fire-type's Gym leader will always have Thunderbolt on his Magmortar, or Solarbeam on pretty much his entire team. Sure, the same works for the challenger too, but in the end it generally evens the field out to the advantage of the gym leader.

There are other points you could think of, but I think this will suffice.
Anyway, my first idea was the following. After someone reaches a certain number of battles done (and, obviously, a certain number of victories too), he can apply to become a gym leader. In order to be a gym leader, though, there should be a certain number of criteria to be respected, like:

- Having a mono-typed team (maybe you can allow for a wildcard?)
- Defining a precise arena and set of clauses to be used in all gym matches (the clauses can be either the same for all gyms or vary from gym to gym, I'm not sure)

After that, you could allow players to challenge a gym in a specific thread, obviously limiting the number of challenges you can issue to the same gym to, say, 1 per week. Then we could even create an Elite Four, with a Champion. I'm not sure about which rewards should challengers get for their successes, though. And there would be another problem with a possibly excessive number of people qualifying to be gym leaders (we don't want 232423 gym leaders right?). Maybe the latter problem could be fixed enforcing a certain w/l/t ratio alongside the min number of battles, but it could easily become quite difficult to become a gym leader.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: @Rediamond: I spoke to DK a while before Red, you're right

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Concept: Black Belt Dojo

Category: Basic Training and Practice

Description: The Black Belt Dojo was created to hone the skills of both new and intermediate Trainers who wish to understand the basic knowledge of Pokemon ASB battling. Led by a Dojo Master and Dojo Apprentices, the goal of the Black Belt Dojo is to give aid to those who need help understanding basic movement and answers to general questions revolving around the ASB battling system. Individuals can come here to study others' questions and answers as well.

The Black Belt Dojo also doubles as a training ground for new and intermediate players who want to get the most out of battling. Rather than making mistakes during a first or second real battle, Trainers can come to the Dojo and participate in "Two Turn Brawls". Essentially, you are paired up with either another student in the Dojo or an apprentice and are given the opportunity to test out the mechanics of ASB until you fully understand them. The goal is to cause the most damage to the opponent at the end of two turns (each battler has two full turns of action). The Dojo Master or a Dojo Apprentice will referee the two battlers.

The winner shall receive one Trainer Counter. A Trainer cannot earn more than two Trainer counters over the course of two days. Furthermore, once a Trainer has earned ten Trainer Counters, he/she is considered an "Expert Belt" Trainer, and cannot receive any more Trainer Counters. Records will be kept on who earns how many Counters. He/she still may participate in Two Turn Brawls and ask general questions with no compensation, however.

The Black Belt Dojo is a fairly large training complex, comprising of a thick concrete wall surrounding a large courtyard. The courtyard is actually an advanced training facility, able to be manipulated into any type of field imagined. This allows students to practice on all types of terrain, experimenting with what can be done on certain playing fields, and what can't be done. A player can specifically request a certain playing field or can request that the Master or an Apprentice create a challenging playing field. Also, a player may request from the Master or his Apprentices to use certain types of Pokemon to use, and the Master/Apprentices have access to any beginning stage Pokemon if requested. Note that the Master and the Apprentices cannot keep Pokemon that they do not raise personally, and must use their own Pokemon if not asked specifically.

EDIT: It is being determined whether or not the counters earned during Two Turn Brawls are Trainer Counters, or "Dojo Counters", which are similar but are limited to just item buying usage. It will be up to Deck Knight.

Concept: Battle Computer

As we know that given the right matchup, like a Water type over a Fire type or a Special Sweeper against a Physical Wall, the winner is USUALLY clear cut. However, given the right circumstances, the lesser of the two can overcome and show that not every match is cut and dry.

Basically, the trainer can enter in one of his Pokemon (or 2/3 if doubles or triples) to go on a 1 v 1 match again the computers Pokemon. The catch is that the computers Pokemon is specifically built to provide an even matchup (in regards to evolution/base stats/movepool access); however the pokemon is built to beat that pokemon. Ex: If I submitted a Charmander, I'm likely to fight against a Mudkip or a Staryu; If I submit an Umbreon with 5 non-starter moves, I'm likely to fight Heracross, Machoke, Hitmonchan with 5 non-starter moves.

The Trainer picks the field. The trainer is given the opportunity to find way to overcome type disadvantage to make the matchup more unique and equal and also see how to utilize the field to his/her advantage as well. Trainer will recieve a Trainer counter if they lose or 2/3 if they win. (adjusted if doubles/triples)

Summary: Individualized matchup to put Trainers pokemon in an unfavorable matchup. Learn how to use terrain and Pokemon skills to overcome the matchup. Trainer recieve compensation, regardless of win/loss.

Acklow

I know, I know, I already made one proposition. However, this is just a general proposition that I wanted to support in the creation rather than personally create.

Concept: Pokemon Trading Center

Category: Social

Bio: Trainers trade their pokemon in exchange for another person's Pokemon.

Description: Trainers essentially bargain with one another (using Pokemon, Trainer Counters can be exchanged in addition to the trade if necessary) for one another's Pokemon. After all, not everyone has the time to train up the best pokemon, or perhaps, they notice that their original strategy looked good on paper, but did not work well in battle. The Trading Center fixes that problem. It gives Trainers a chance to trade undesired Pokemon for ones that they feel necessary as an addition to their team. The owner of this thread will oversee the trading process, making note of each trade and marking it in the initial post. This, essentially, is how I see a trade being made:

-Trainer 1 requests a Pokemon. He/she puts up a list of what Pokemon he/she has that he/she is willing to trade for the requested Pokemon.
-Trainer 2 accepts the trade. Perhaps at this point in time, he/she adds an extra condition to the trade, like extra Trainer Counters in addition to the requested Pokemon.
-Overseer notes the conditions of the trade and either approves or denies the trade.
-Trainers 1 & 2 make the trade once approved.
-Overseer notes the trade in OP.

Another function of the Trading Center is to provide a "home" for undesired Pokemon (essentially an Adopt-a-Pet thing). People can come here and offer to adopt these undesired Pokemon in exchange for Trainer Counters. The thing to note here is that these aren't just Pokemon you catch or buy, but they are pre-trained Pokemon who already had owners. These Pokemon can also be bought by a beginning Trainer instead of any of the starter Pokemon, since these Pokemon are pre-trained (it gives them a headstart).

In Conclusion: Personally, I don't want to necessarily make the thread for this concept, however, I do want to see it implemented as an RP Shop/Social thing. If later on, we decide that this idea is viable, anyone who is willing to devote their time to overseeing these trades can make a thread for it. I'm willing to help out in the development process. The amount of RP that'll go into this will be minimal as compared to other places, since this is mainly for exchanges. However, that doesn't mean it can't be used as an RP.

Thoughts?

Not putting up a proposal yet, I'm still thinking. But Acklow; is the point of ASB not to raise and train your own Pokemon? Trading kinda defeats the purpose.

It is but I think I like his idea. None of my Pokemon I have now will be gotten rid of ever, but if people begin to have stage 3 Pokemon with huge movesets and I get a friend to join I'd like to be able to gift them a Pokemon to start, or trade with another trainer if we both have a Pokemon built the way the other likes.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
RE: Gym Leaders

They'll be something cool for that later. For Now I want to get people focused on the ins and outs of battling and reffing. We can hold battling events later.

RE: Trading Thread

I knew I forgot something. I'll get one up eventually. Trading is a legit function. Might need more stringent rules so as to prevent unfair trades, but nonetheless it's there.

Concept: Acklow's Berry Pies

Category: Berry Orchard

Bio: An orchard that sells only Oran, Sitrus, Leppa, and Razz Berries.

Description: This orchard is a small orchard kept by yours truly. Each berry will be sold for market price value. However, there is a limit to each berry. Since this shop has just been opened up only a certain amount of each berry can be sold, as they are reused to grow more. Each berry will take a certain amount of time to grow, for example: the Oran Berry will take 4 days total to produce 5 Berries, whereas the Sitrus Berry will take 8 days total to grow and produce 5 Berries. Berries will be sold in three different manners:
-Pre-picked Berry Baskets
-Manually picked Singles
-Manually picked Berry Baskets

Pre-picked Berry Baskets will contain one of each berry and will cost 2 Trainer Counters above market price due to the berries being pre-picked.

Trainers can also manually pick their berries, however priority for where berries go first are lower here than if they are Pre-Picked, so trainers may not always find what they need here. Singles will be sold at market value. If manually picked in bulk, trainers will recieve a 1 Trainer Counter discount for every 4 berries picked, due to their efforts in picking a bulk of berries.

Trainers can also purchase a small patch of soil that can grow up to three plants at once. These will be sold for 25 Trainer Counters a piece. Trainers will receive one free Oran Berry with their purchase and will be able to grow their own berries for free here.

Acklow's Berry Pies also will provide positions for any Trainer interested in making income.

Acklow's Berry Pies is also willing to purchase fertilizer from any vendors willing to sell for a reasonable price.

Basically, the point of this shop is to provide simple items for the basic trainer. Items that are sold here put an emphasis on HP and Energy Restoration.
Mostly my concern here is the Role-Playing experience. Trainers should bring a Pokemon to help them (The Pokemon will not be able to enter new battles). I think the best way to go as an experience is that the more a trainer works to pick berries, the more berries they get (up to a certain number of days.)

For example a trainer who RPs for a day with their Pokemon can get a single Oran Berry, but one who stays for two gets two Orans, and one who stays for three gets four Orans.

Since this will be interactive it will require multiple posts. Each trainer posts their own RP but the Business Owner/Staff can handle multiple RPs at once.

Here's an idea for a breakdown:

Trainer: Entry Post: A Trainer says what kind of Berry they want to plant.

Staff: Staff sends a trainer to a planting area and gives then tools. The Staff Member marks down who is in which area and how many people (There will be maximums for each area, and trainers who want to go into a full area will be placed in a queue.)

Trainer: Planting Post: A Trainer Role-Plays out planting and watering their berries, as well as looking around the area.

Staff: The Staff gives them a scenario for what is going on in their planting plot, points out any items that might be on the ground or odd noises if the trainer wants to investigate.

Trainer: Trainer either keeps planting or explores the item/scenario etc.

Staff: Staff gives outcome, either the trainer picking an item or something raiding their plants while they weren't looking etc. Says they can pick their harvest on the next post or continue planting for another day.

Trainer: Planting Post or Picking Post: Traineer either continues planting and watering, increasing their Berry Yield, or Picks their harvest.

Staff: If the crops are Harvested they are given to the trainer and they can post the link in the OP. If not, another scenario round commences.

The timing on these would be the Staff is required to RP a scenario for all players once in a 24 hour period. As it is currently set up, people will be able to pick a berry in 48 hours, plus whatever comes of the RP round, if anything. The RP round is a risk, it could pay off or it could cost crops.

As far as the direct sale marketing, that aspect of it is fine. What I really want to focus on is the RPing experience for these shops, since it can break people out of their battle mode. I can work with you on randomized RP scenarios.

It's a very solid concept.

Concept: Black Belt Dojo

Description: The Black Belt Dojo was created to hone the skills of both new and intermediate Trainers who wish to understand the basic knowledge of Pokemon ASB battling. Led by a Dojo Master and Dojo Apprentices, the goal of the Black Belt Dojo is to give aid to those who need help understanding basic movement and answers to general questions revolving around the ASB battling system. Individuals can come here to study others' questions and answers as well.

The Black Belt Dojo also doubles as a training ground for new and intermediate players who want to get the most out of battling. Rather than making mistakes during a first or second real battle, Trainers can come to the Dojo and participate in "Two Turn Brawls". Essentially, you are paired up with either another student in the Dojo or an apprentice and are given the opportunity to test out the mechanics of ASB until you fully understand them. The goal is to cause the most damage to the opponent at the end of two turns (each battler has two full turns of action). The Dojo Master or a Dojo Apprentice will referee the two battlers.

The winner shall receive one Trainer Counter. A Trainer cannot earn more than two Trainer counters over the course of two days. Furthermore, once a Trainer has earned ten Trainer Counters, he/she is considered an "Expert Belt" Trainer, and cannot receive any more Trainer Counters. Records will be kept on who earns how many Counters. He/she still may participate in Two Turn Brawls and ask general questions with no compensation, however.

The Black Belt Dojo is a fairly large training complex, comprising of a thick concrete wall surrounding a large courtyard. The courtyard is actually an advanced training facility, able to be manipulated into any type of field imagined. This allows students to practice on all types of terrain, experimenting with what can be done on certain playing fields, and what can't be done. A player can specifically request a certain playing field or can request that the Master or an Apprentice create a challenging playing field. Also, a player may request from the Master or his Apprentices to use certain types of Pokemon to use, and the Master/Apprentices have access to any beginning stage Pokemon if requested. Note that the Master and the Apprentices cannot keep Pokemon that they do not raise personally, and must use their own Pokemon if not asked specifically.

EDIT: It is being determined whether or not the counters earned during Two Turn Brawls are Trainer Counters, or "Dojo Counters", which are similar but are limited to just item buying usage. It will be up to Deck Knight.
Concept: Battle Computer

As we know that given the right matchup, like a Water type over a Fire type or a Special Sweeper against a Physical Wall, the winner is USUALLY clear cut. However, given the right circumstances, the lesser of the two can overcome and show that not every match is cut and dry.

Basically, the trainer can enter in one of his Pokemon (or 2/3 if doubles or triples) to go on a 1 v 1 match again the computers Pokemon. The catch is that the computers Pokemon is specifically built to provide an even matchup (in regards to evolution/base stats/movepool access); however the pokemon is built to beat that pokemon. Ex: If I submitted a Charmander, I'm likely to fight against a Mudkip or a Staryu; If I submit an Umbreon with 5 non-starter moves, I'm likely to fight Heracross, Machoke, Hitmonchan with 5 non-starter moves.

The Trainer picks the field. The trainer is given the opportunity to find way to overcome type disadvantage to make the matchup more unique and equal and also see how to utilize the field to his/her advantage as well. Trainer will recieve a Trainer counter if they lose or 2/3 if they win. (adjusted if doubles/triples)

Summary: Individualized matchup to put Trainers pokemon in an unfavorable matchup. Learn how to use terrain and Pokemon skills to overcome the matchup. Trainer recieve compensation, regardless of win/loss.
These two are similar in concept so please don't mind I'm responding to both at once.

While I agree with the idea of a training facility, I'm not too keen on it being a winner takes all sort of thing. I think a good solution would be using Dojo Counters in a more unorthodox manner. Instead of Trainer Counters you can get Dojo Counters. Winners get 2, losers get 1. Dojo Counters can be used to purchase a line of training gear (items) that the Dojo carries but couldn't be used anywhere else. It might even cause me to release some of the more "competitive" items asumming they can be balanced whatsoever.

I was actually thinking of something similar to the Battling Computer later in sort of Challenge Games. The problem is it takes a lot of specificity to get what you want, kind of like inventing half of the test battle I had with Alchemator each time. I'd like to hold off on a simulator style of combat for now. The Dojo seems fine since it can be RP'd and set up in such a way that it allows certain maximums of prizes (e.g. 5 Dojo Counters could be a move counter, but trainers can only obtain 1 of them like that guy who gives out items for showing him Pokemon.

I'll decline the Battle Computer for now, it's much too time intensive and a bit contrived, not to mention 1vs1 battles still take a solid 3-5 rounds to finish and a ref, so it's not as practical as stringing together a two round test match like The Dojo. A lot of the Battle Computer ideas already go into the Dojo, actually, so if you want to work on it together that's fine.

I don't know if it qualifies, but I think ASB is the ideal ruleset for a gym league. There are several reasons for this:

1) Reduced impact of weaknesses/resistances: Due to the way damage is calculated, running all Pokémon of the same type is not much of a disadvantage as it is in the cart game
2) Arena managing: Since I guess the gym leader would be the one designing the arena, he could easily take advantage of running a mono-type team. Let's say for example someone runs a mono-Fire team. Packing a Water or Ground mon may seem an easy win, but if the arena is a series of volcanic peaks, beating that Charizard may be a bit harder than it would look at first.
3) Wide movepools: In ASB, a Fire-type's Gym leader will always have Thunderbolt on his Magmortar, or Solarbeam on pretty much his entire team. Sure, the same works for the challenger too, but in the end it generally evens the field out to the advantage of the gym leader.

There are other points you could think of, but I think this will suffice.
Anyway, my first idea was the following. After someone reaches a certain number of battles done (and, obviously, a certain number of victories too), he can apply to become a gym leader. In order to be a gym leader, though, there should be a certain number of criteria to be respected, like:

- Having a mono-typed team (maybe you can allow for a wildcard?)
- Defining a precise arena and set of clauses to be used in all gym matches (the clauses can be either the same for all gyms or vary from gym to gym, I'm not sure)

After that, you could allow players to challenge a gym in a specific thread, obviously limiting the number of challenges you can issue to the same gym to, say, 1 per week. Then we could even create an Elite Four, with a Champion. I'm not sure about which rewards should challengers get for their successes, though. And there would be another problem with a possibly excessive number of people qualifying to be gym leaders (we don't want 232423 gym leaders right?). Maybe the latter problem could be fixed enforcing a certain w/l/t ratio alongside the min number of battles, but it could easily become quite difficult to become a gym leader.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: @Rediamond: I spoke to DK a while before Red, you're right
Just realize that it isn't necessarily good to use an entire team of the same type, particularly if it has poor defenses (I'm learning this the hard way-my team has two double fire weaks, since I had the semi-bright idea to abuse Tail Glow Syclar and back it with Snover to give it Blizzard. The downside is that whenever I get faced with a Fire-type, I have to be VERY careful. Syclar has Earth Power, but yeah. [The good side is epic Blizzard spam.])

(Btw, I'd be willing to synthesize some Dojo items.)

Concept: Soil Colossus Incorporated

Category: Creative design thread.

Bio: "Welcome to Soil Colossus Incorporated, where your battling dreams come true! With the aid of our many skilled Dugtrio, Colossoil, Conkeldurr, Machamp, Heatmor, and Excadrill workers, we build arenas to boggle the mind! Try haunted mansions, rainforest canopies, or even a Combee hive! You can even sign up for our company and come up with professional arena designs! Call 123-THI-SNU-MBE-RIS-FAKE today for a free trial!"

Description: Basically an arena design thread. People can pick a pre-designed arena if they want to. It would also help for standardizing tourney battles-a well-balanced playing field could be selected. Also, it would allow us to rate battlefields-the most interesting and balanced ones can win Trainer Counters.

Just realize that it isn't necessarily good to use an entire team of the same type, particularly if it has poor defenses (I'm learning this the hard way-my team has two double fire weaks, since I had the semi-bright idea to abuse Tail Glow Syclar and back it with Snover to give it Blizzard. The downside is that whenever I get faced with a Fire-type, I have to be VERY careful. Syclar has Earth Power, but yeah. [The good side is epic Blizzard spam.])

(Btw, I'd be willing to synthesize some Dojo items.)

Concept: Soil Colossus Incorporated

Category: Creative design thread.

Bio: "Welcome to Soil Colossus Incorporated, where your battling dreams come true! With the aid of our many skilled Dugtrio, Colossoil, Conkeldurr, Machamp, Heatmor, and Excadrill workers, we build arenas to boggle the mind! Try haunted mansions, rainforest canopies, or even a Combee hive! You can even sign up for our company and come up with professional arena designs! Call 123-THI-SNU-MBE-RIS-FAKE today for a free trial!"

Description: Basically an arena design thread. People can pick a pre-designed arena if they want to. It would also help for standardizing tourney battles-a well-balanced playing field could be selected. Also, it would allow us to rate battlefields-the most interesting and balanced ones can win Trainer Counters.
Support this idea.

Acklow

Mostly my concern here is the Role-Playing experience. Trainers should bring a Pokemon to help them (The Pokemon will not be able to enter new battles). I think the best way to go as an experience is that the more a trainer works to pick berries, the more berries they get (up to a certain number of days.)

For example a trainer who RPs for a day with their Pokemon can get a single Oran Berry, but one who stays for two gets two Orans, and one who stays for three gets four Orans.

Since this will be interactive it will require multiple posts. Each trainer posts their own RP but the Business Owner/Staff can handle multiple RPs at once.

Here's an idea for a breakdown:

Trainer: Entry Post: A Trainer says what kind of Berry they want to plant.

Staff: Staff sends a trainer to a planting area and gives then tools. The Staff Member marks down who is in which area and how many people (There will be maximums for each area, and trainers who want to go into a full area will be placed in a queue.)

Trainer: Planting Post: A Trainer Role-Plays out planting and watering their berries, as well as looking around the area.

Staff: The Staff gives them a scenario for what is going on in their planting plot, points out any items that might be on the ground or odd noises if the trainer wants to investigate.

Trainer: Trainer either keeps planting or explores the item/scenario etc.

Staff: Staff gives outcome, either the trainer picking an item or something raiding their plants while they weren't looking etc. Says they can pick their harvest on the next post or continue planting for another day.

Trainer: Planting Post or Picking Post: Traineer either continues planting and watering, increasing their Berry Yield, or Picks their harvest.

Staff: If the crops are Harvested they are given to the trainer and they can post the link in the OP. If not, another scenario round commences.

The timing on these would be the Staff is required to RP a scenario for all players once in a 24 hour period. As it is currently set up, people will be able to pick a berry in 48 hours, plus whatever comes of the RP round, if anything. The RP round is a risk, it could pay off or it could cost crops.

As far as the direct sale marketing, that aspect of it is fine. What I really want to focus on is the RPing experience for these shops, since it can break people out of their battle mode. I can work with you on randomized RP scenarios.

It's a very solid concept.
Alright, that makes sense. I agree with the bringing of a Pokemon along for the planting of the seed. Also, with the whole "Acklow's Berry Pies" flavour, I was thinking that perhaps, Acklow's Berry Pies could also be a place for the trainers themselves to relax as well. So they could come in and "buy" a berry pie (we can assume that the currency used here is an imaginative currency and not actual trainer counters). The idea would be that both humans and their Pokemon have the chance to take part in enjoying the berries served.

In terms of how long berries grow, well, I was thinking of using the amount of cycles each berry takes to grow in-game as the amount of days that the berry takes to grow. If we could use the data that has to do with the in-game information, I think that that could be used as a guideline for later berry shops/orchards.

I was thinking of a similar process when planting berries and growing them. I didn't really think of making it so that Trainers have to stay at the thread in order to grow the berries, but after hearing your thoughts on it, I agree that it would be the most sound course of action.

Concept: Realgam Tower Battle Simulations

Category: Themed Battle Arena.

Bio: Weekly themed battles a la LNT for Trainer Counters

Description: Yeah. People would PM ideas (special rules/arenas/rented pokemon/whatever) to the leader, leader picks the best ones and puts them in the thread, playing will get you a trainer counter more than you would with a normal battle.

I need to learn how to make things sound more exciting.

It's the LNTs, but LIKE THE KIDS SHOW!!!

...is it a bad idea?

Concept: The Great Warstory Archive

Category: Reference

Description: When an incredible battle is played out in ASB, the battle will be recorded in the Great Warstory Archive so as to preserve it's memory. This would have to be done using probably a nomination-voting system, and if it gets accepted then it would have to be simply formatted so it's simple to read, but overall it wouldn't be all that difficult.

An idea I've had is to have Roleplay Adventures. That is to say, A host(s) will design a loose plot and then one or more (the more the merrier) players will embark on a quest where they'll encounter Wild Pokemon, even legendaries maybe (uncatchable of course, and probably with the ridiculous power of anime legendaries), battle or talk to NPC's and experience various situations that they must work their way out of, all mixed into some sort of rough plot.
The length of the quest would be determined by the host but it'd be best to keep it short to prevent boredom and so it doesn't go forever.
Trainers would probably be able to gain counters for their pokemon throughout the quest, and maybe catch wild pokemon.
Extra rewards (Trainer Counters?) could also be given for creativity of dealing with situations. For example, you could just break down the door using Earthquake, taking most of the building with it and alerting the team rocket grunts to your position, OR you could get your Magnemite to stick to the door magnertically and then have your companions machamp use the magnemite as leverage to pull the door off!

Ideally there'd probably only be one or two quests running at a time, unless there are a lot of willing and capable hosts.

I love tortferngatr's suggestion. Is there any way the dojo could let us train to change our Pokemon's natures? I know we can't do it in the game but I think putting them in challenge battles could explain changing their mentality with fighting. These 1v1 battles could be balanced by only fighting other trainers trying to change a nature.

(IE: becoming Brave- Every move against your Pokemon has 100% accuracy, becoming Timid- Use no contact moves, etc)

Perhaps I could paperclip this to Solstice's warstory idea and move to have certain selected matches animated in Easytoon as I used to do? These would probably be rough doodlings, but could be a fun visual.

If that's too exclusive, maybe some artists can be persuaded to contribute art for a warstory. Nastyjungle's match-based comic series comes to mind as well.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
While I agree with the idea of a training facility, I'm not too keen on it being a winner takes all sort of thing. I think a good solution would be using Dojo Counters in a more unorthodox manner. Instead of Trainer Counters you can get Dojo Counters. Winners get 2, losers get 1. Dojo Counters can be used to purchase a line of training gear (items) that the Dojo carries but couldn't be used anywhere else. It might even cause me to release some of the more "competitive" items assuming they can be balanced whatsoever.

I was actually thinking of something similar to the Battling Computer later in sort of Challenge Games. The problem is it takes a lot of specificity to get what you want, kind of like inventing half of the test battle I had with Alchemator each time. I'd like to hold off on a simulator style of combat for now. The Dojo seems fine since it can be RP'd and set up in such a way that it allows certain maximums of prizes (e.g. 5 Dojo Counters could be a move counter, but trainers can only obtain 1 of them like that guy who gives out items for showing him Pokemon.

I'll decline the Battle Computer for now, it's much too time intensive and a bit contrived, not to mention 1vs1 battles still take a solid 3-5 rounds to finish and a ref, so it's not as practical as stringing together a two round test match like The Dojo. A lot of the Battle Computer ideas already go into the Dojo, actually, so if you want to work on it together that's fine.
I am perfectly fine with the idea of Dojo Counters and how they work in that system. FinnRagetti is more than welcome to PM me with some of his ideas, and can even be the first Dojo Apprentice if he likes. :) I'll be needing all the help I can get with all the new trainers bound to be on the way.

@ Chomper: While that certainly is an interesting idea, ASB shouldn't allow Trainers to freely switch natures at any time during this experience. Just like in the game, Trainers should have to deal with the consequences of their original actions. If they made their Charmander Adamant but want to change it to Jolly, they shouldn't be able to. This would pretty much disrupt the whole idea of ASB, and might lead to a "slippery slope" of allowing Trainers to change too much about their Pokemon whenever they want.

Concept: Coolking's Contest hall

Category: Contest hall

Bio: A place for pokemon and trainers to show their creativity in using moves to create acts of beauty.

Description:
Quite obviously, the contest hall would be alot like contests in the anime, where a pokemon has to use a creative sequence of moves depending on the terrain. They get a point total out of 50, and the winner gets 3 points, second place gets 2 points, third gets 1. These points could be contest points, which mean you can only use them for items bought in the contest hall, or they can be Trainer Points. These can be used to buy scarves and stuff to make your pokemon look better and more likely to get more points (If this is implemented then their should be beginner's contest so people can begin and still have a chance).

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Concept: ASBL - Accessories and Style Battling League

Category: Sprite altering

Description: I'll get dogfish44 in on this too. Basically a sprite shop for changing the colour of your Pokemon or adding accessories - stuff that doesn't impact battles unless there are very specific conditions.

Acklow

I think the Contest Hall would be an interesting idea for RP. Perhaps it could work in conjunction with the happiness scale? Though, Return and Frustration don't rely on Happiness in ASB, it could be a good way to create better flavor. Also, it could work with Attract too, so if your Pokemon win more and get more items that make it more appealing, Attract will become more "powerful" in a sense.

Anyways, good idea, I look forward to it being implemented (assuming it does).

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
totally got this idea from dy8

Concept: Seven Deadly Sins' Egg Shop!

Category: Random Pokemon Shop

Description: Basically, the idea is that instead of spending Trainer Counters to buy Pokemon directly, you spend 1 Trainer Counter to get a random egg. The Pokemon inside would be a random Pokemon, either from a random egg or from a specific egg group if requested. Eggs would hatch after X days or X battles or something. This would promote diversity in random Pokemon to battle with, and also give the potential for getting awesome Pokemon for cheap. Sounds like a ton of fun to me!

I would suggest that picking the egg group costs more than completely random.

EDIT: I LOVE the idea though. I was thinking about using an RNG to pick my next mon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)