Rockruff, Lycanroc (Midday and Midnight) Discussion

It's probably just me but I greatly prefer the prospect of Rock Polish and Stone Won't Miss over Sand Rush and Accelrock. Maybe it's because I very rarely use weather and that priority is taking many hits this generation.

While it looks passable as an offensive sweeper, I'm unsure of its place in a sand team as so many other pokemon can do its job better. Excadrill sweeps better with its access to earthquake and typing providing more switch in opportunities, and while a speedy taunt lead with stealth rocks looks nice, TTar can fill a similar role with more bulk, sandstorm setup, and STAB on dark moves, which is a fair trade off for its lower speed. What can Lycanroc-D do for a sand team that other pokes don't, outside of poking things with Acceleroc?

is it weird i think Lycanroc Midnight actually has a better chance of success just for No Guard Stone Edge? Stick a Scarf on it and it has a role it can fulfil.

Lycanroc Midday has the stats to be a good sweeper, especially in Sand, but not the movepool to do so, which holds it back. it'll be good down the line with Tutor moves, if it gets a good haul from them, but otherwise, as it is now, its kinda in limbo.

is it weird i think Lycanroc Midnight actually has a better chance of success just for No Guard Stone Edge? Stick a Scarf on it and it has a role it can fulfil.

Lycanroc Midday has the stats to be a good sweeper, especially in Sand, but not the movepool to do so, which holds it back. it'll be good down the line with Tutor moves, if it gets a good haul from them, but otherwise, as it is now, its kinda in limbo.
Yeah,limbo's a good way to describe it. I feel like U-turn would have made it a great pivot, but right now it just feels like a predictable sand sweeper.

Aww it doesn't learn Earthquake or Close Combat or even Low Kick what a shame for an offensive rock type :( Too bad because 115 Atk and 112 Speed is very good. It lacks coverage to hit steel and ground types in general. At least its design is awesome ^^

yeahh i wish midday learned hone claws because of this. I mean it should have been able to learn it simply based on the fact that its a wolf. wolves have claws gf.. i also hate that it got sand rush. -.- sure it makes some sense, fast wolf needs to go faster, its just a chore to set up sand for midday. a bad chore, there arent enough benefits to helping it set up like this. Excadrill excelled at it because of its nice steel type resisting hits while its movepool gave great coverage (steel/ground/rock) it made more sense to give a mediocre speed pokemon the ability to double its speed. And excadrill may have just about the same defenses as lycanroc, but it at least has 110 base hp to make it just bulky enough

Stone Edge spam is not that great of a role. i see midnight competing with Kabutops in whatever tier its in, scarf set trades off accuracy in stone edge for coverage options. both have very similar stats.

regarding their other abilities, they are lame. Seriously, keen eye.? Touch claws, strong jaw, easily better options.. i actually like strong jaw as an ability nice and powerful coverage. side note: Why did they skip out on Ice Fang! jesus christ..

Last edited:
Stone Edge spam is not that great of a role. i see midnight competing with Kabutops in whatever tier its in, scarf set trades off accuracy in stone edge for coverage options. both have very similar stats.
A mon dedicated to taking out Flying and Fire types with efficiency the way Scarf Midnight would has a niche most certainly. Stone Edge is a great move when it lands, so being sure of those hits is a boon, a massive one. just wish it got something else. Getting something like Dynamic Punch, for example? it'd carve a niche for itself.

Its more than Midday has anyway. I see both these landing in Low UU/High RU. High Attack stat and decently powerful moves help. They both just need more moves to compliment what they do. Their movepool is shallower than a kiddie pool.

Does anyone else feel tat Midnight was tacked on as a gimmick, and was originally an awesome stand alone were-wolf pokemon built around counter and reversal.. Like some random dude probably said" but we already have a wolf pokeman" so they had to nerf it to the earth's core to make it equal in power to Midday. That is the only reason I will accept for this mistreatment of such an amazingly designed pokemon.

Midday Lycanroc's high speed stat, Steadfast ability, and support moves could lend him to being a decent lead pokemon in VGC2017

The set I'm thinking of is this:

Lycanroc @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Quick Guard
- Protect

I have no idea if Lycanroc will be that good or not, but this is the only way I can think to use him right now.

Would these two be any better in doubles format? I mean that said, maybe these guys are better in VGC formatting than Smogon? IDK. Also would Steadfast be of any use if you plan on leading with Lycanroc for any opponents who try to start off with Fake Out?

Sorry if those are generic/bad questions, I tend to just look up competitive stuffs for fun rather than practice/etc like most of you guys haha.

Would these two be any better in doubles format? I mean that said, maybe these guys are better in VGC formatting than Smogon? IDK. Also would Steadfast be of any use if you plan on leading with Lycanroc for any opponents who try to start off with Fake Out?

Sorry if those are generic/bad questions, I tend to just look up competitive stuffs for fun rather than practice/etc like most of you guys haha.
steadfast is sorta good in doubles, since fake out leads are kind of common.

I think its a huge missed opportunity for Midnight form to get its own unique version of Metal burst

Maniacal Retaliation. 10 PP, ??? power, rock type

The pokemon taunts itself up, enduring the next hit. It then returns 1.5 damage it took back at all attackers that attacked it. This move fails if used twice in a row.

A mix of Endure and Metal burst would have been so unique and a good move to fit this pokemon

If your team really hates fire or flying types I could see running one of these guys and I actually agree with TheMohZone that Scarf No Guard Stone Edge spam might actually better than Midday with Accel Rock.

If your team really hates fire or flying types I could see running one of these guys and I actually agree with TheMohZone that Scarf No Guard Stone Edge spam might actually better than Midday with Accel Rock.
I just wish it got 1 more move to abuse Nogaurd with. I loved running No gaurd Golurk with Stone edge and DYnamicPunch. If midnight got Dynamic punch that would have been amazing.

Still, I think it will have its uses as a powerful Stone edge user. Just wish it got a better unique move like Midday got

I just wish it got 1 more move to abuse Nogaurd with. I loved running No gaurd Golurk with Stone edge and DYnamicPunch. If midnight got Dynamic punch that would have been amazing.

Still, I think it will have its uses as a powerful Stone edge user. Just wish it got a better unique move like Midday got
Yea. As others have pointed out these guys could both really benefit from additions to their move pools. We'll see what they get in the future for now I see them as anti fire/flying tech for an offensive team.

Their movepool isn't the best, but Crunch, Brick Break, Fire Fang, and Thunder Fang are all serviceable with Swords Dance. That said, I'd easily take Midday over Midnight. Base 112 is actually a really good speed tier unlike base 82, and Midnight's extra bulk still isn't that good. No Guard would be so cool if it got more inaccurate moves, but as is, being able to hit with Stone Edge 20% of the time when Midday would miss is a minor perk. Midday's unique priority move gives it another cool little niche. Sand Rush seems relatively minor as well; 115/112 physical offense should be enough for Midday Lycanroc (Lycanroc-D?) to be a solid lower tier sweeper even without the speed boost, although if a Sand Stream user or two falls into lower tiers, it certainly helps.

Yea. As others have pointed out these guys could both really benefit from additions to their move pools. We'll see what they get in the future for now I see them as anti fire/flying tech for an offensive team.
Yeah more moves would help. I may use one in my story playthrough for Moon before I hit endgame with Pheromsa.

Yeah more moves would help. I may use one in my story playthrough for Moon before I hit endgame with Pheromsa.
Unrelated but always surprises me how many people use legendaries in the game. I never use them personally and I don't like using them in competitive either. I suppose you could argue UB's /= legendaries but they're close enough for me, I wont be using any.

Unrelated but always surprises me how many people use legendaries in the game. I never use them personally and I don't like using them in competitive either. I suppose you could argue UB's /= legendaries but they're close enough for me, I wont be using any.
I normally don't, but Pheromosa and Celesteela I love their designs so much I just have to use them, And Also The rock/Poison on my third team maybe. The others I may not use for awhile.

However In the long run I make a challenge for myself to put every fully evolved pokemon, and some not fully evolved, on a team. I would love to be able to do that this gen

I could definitely see cross chop being a tutor move eventually, and midnight getting it. I'm still in shock that a pokemon without arms learns brick break.

I could definitely see cross chop being a tutor move eventually, and midnight getting it. I'm still in shock that a pokemon without arms learns brick break.
I'm surprised Lycanroc-N doesn't get Fire or Thunder Punch. I feel like that would have paired it more favorable against Lycanroc-D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)