All Gens RoA Sample Teams Thread

i think tossing out fire blasts are rarer if anything. fire blast, standard as it is, is still a surprise move. and there's the fact that it has 8 pp, with on average 1+ miss per game. i think everyone has a couple of games where they maneuvered their skarm long enough to waste all 8. you probably won't be able to do that with steelix however you get the added benefit of exploding in its face. there's no way you can overlook that. but yeah, i guess i didn't exactly compare them on equal footing, but in general 90% of curselax will either DE/BS or curse on the initial turn. odds of random scouting fb are really low.

i think it still depends. ttar is also the only one of the 3 that doesn't guarantee its victory against a favorable snorlax. last poke fb lax/mono lax will still shit on ttar, whereas last poke eq/monolax won't have a great time with either steelix or skarm. this to me outweighs the "one hit wonder" factor, but i can see how it's more subjective.

missy can luck you sure, but missy is pretty rare. only a specific genre of team can run something like missy, it's not exactly a flexible pokemon. i think in general monolax will be stopped by your ttar/steelix/skarm, which pursuitar does little to alleviate, although pursuit chips vs skarm will help with egg pounding on the same target. i will still take fire blast over crunch any day due to it being better at skarm chipping. crunch has some very rare use cases where it's superior imo (last poke lax, better misdreavus coverage).

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Oh I never fully realized this before. I had dismissed Skarm-chipping with Ttar for a while because it just seemed way too slow, whereas Crunch makes Ttar's life easier against the stuff it should beat (2HKO on Gengar and no misses against Egg are big deals). But I'm reluctant to throw Ttar into those matchups even with Crunch, whereas Psychic + Pursuit rounds on Skarm can do upwards of 100 damage a pop (after Leftovers), reducing the need for spot-on consecutive predictions to wear Skarm down before it wakes up.

I was in the middle of mathing this out but I'm running a fever right now and it seemed like too much effort to determine what would be necessary to, say, KO Skarm with a Psychic or DE on the switch before it wakes up. Maybe 2, 3 consecutive double-switches to Ttar? Not at all unreasonable against the passive sort of team a Skarm is likely to be on.

i think mathing is wholly unnecessary. it's not fast enough for it to be some sort of staple strategy (think stossing with hera), but you will run into situations where it may play a factor regardless. mentality is a big deal, but more likely than not, it won't come into play unless you ch psychic/de on the switch or something similar.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Lord Ninjax do you have any interest in updating the OP with some of the teams posted yet? If you don't want to I am willing to do it, i think lyconik's, Cowboy Dan's and Jorgen's team are good and beginner friendly teams. I will post a version of THE standard rby team later this week, Piexplode's team is not bad or anything, but it's not what we'd call the most used or most "standard" build. If the thing gets updated i guess some people might find their way in here again to post some teams.

Will do it at some point I guess. Honestly I meant to but the thread died and I got caught up in other stuff so I forgot, I can probably do it this weekend though.

Agreeing with Lyconik, Jorgen's and Cowboy Dan's builds, all are nice. May as well add Piex's to show some more unconventional stuff like Jynx Lead.

Edit: Formatted and updated the OP

Last edited:
Can we post ADV NU teams? This is something p cool I've been working on then! Enjoy ~

Luck>Skill (Hitmonchan) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sky Uppercut
- Toxic
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Rapid Spin

Sableye @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hidden Power [Dark]
- Recover
- Rest

Dewgong @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Surf
- Rest

Steeli (Flareon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 56 SpA / 136 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Flamethrower

Lady Umb (Roselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Pidgeot @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Double-Edge
- Steel Wing
- Aerial Ace

I think this is an underappreciated metagame that needs more players, Piexplode will attest to this fact. I'm only posting this because I got knocked out of the RoA NU tournament :(

Last edited:

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'll be adding more but here is one for now. Standard BW Rain Balance. Set up rocks with Ferrothron, spin and set up toxic spikes with Tentacruel. Get rain pouring with Politoad. Force swaps and slowly break your opponents team.. Then when the time is right bring Gyarados in, set up, and win.

BW OU: RAIN BALANCE

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Encore
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 216 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Toxic

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
- Scald

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Protect
- Iron Head

Last edited:

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
give toed some speed bro.

i also dislike sub on gliscor with no toxic. tspikes arent guaranteed to stick around forever and with no phazer to force it around it can be tough to accomplish much with gliscor.

ur not killing a jellicent anytime soon either.

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
give toed some speed bro.

i also dislike sub on gliscor with no toxic. tspikes arent guaranteed to stick around forever and with no phazer to force it around it can be tough to accomplish much with gliscor.

ur not killing a jellicent anytime soon either.
Fixed- thank you for the tip off.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
This is an incredibly safe and easy ADV team. It has no real terrible matchups and a lot of favourable ones. In terms of its usage, there's not much else to say, no real nuances other than not letting Mag die until it's killed a Skarm/Forry, or you've concluded they don't have them. Watch out for 3 Attack Starmie, it will wear Lax down quickly. I'd recommend this team for anyone, especially a new player getting to grips with ADV.

Here it is in action.

Dennis (Salamence) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Atk / 216 Def / 20 Spd
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Nice Bird (Skarmory) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 224 SDef / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Counter (You can also run Protect if you're so inclined. Don't run Taunt tho, this team doesn't need it.)
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Disco Devils (Magneton) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 240 HP / 244 SAtk / 24 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt

Greens (Celebi) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 180 Def / 60 SAtk / 16 Spd
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Leech Seed
- Perish Song
- Recover

Life Aquatic (Swampert) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 44 SAtk / 8 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Roar
- Protect

Big Unit (Snorlax) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 104 HP / 160 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Shadow Ball
- Rest
- Curse

Okay, added steelphoenix and Triangles's teams.

Anyways, I have decided to add older gens lower tiers in this, such as DPP Ubers and ADV NU. Just a quick update!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)