RMT OU TailRain

Hello everyone, my name is Kyrian on pokemon showdown and qbsuperstar here (reason being I forgot my username I made long ago lol) and today I would like to share with you my gen5 OU team. First I will share a little history about myself, I actually haven't used smogon at all before, besides lurking, staying with PO for awhile now but after a fallout with a few high authority figures over there I have decided to come over. During the gen5 era I played 2 main teams, rain teams and a Uswitch team. I was within the top 50 of PO for a period of 6weeks before taking a less serious approach to the game but I'm back now! With Gen 6 under the way, I thought I might polish up on my skills with making a OU Gen5 team and start to play some what serious again.

Replays
First battle with team. |

First off the team revolves around the use of an amazing attack that many people know of but believe it to be underrated compared to other moves. Tailwind doubles your teams speeds for four turns but it also sets up a lot of the core strategy. I call this team TailRain, as it combines Politoad's drizzle with the attack tailwind. I first came up with the idea with obviously Tornadus. Also prankstar is amazing here.

Hypnosis (Tornadus) @ Eject Button
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Tailwind
- Taunt
- Acrobatics
- Hurricane

To compliment the idea of using the attack Tailwind and gaining a crap load of speed I decided I need a big, heavy hitter that make little kids shake in their booties. I decided on a LOsub set with the big behemoth, Black Kyurem. Lets just put this in perspective here; Kyurem excels as a very good sweeper for most teams that can fit him in. I have found people aren't using him as often but he's in the team because he is but of of my favorites and can hold his own with the best. Although I am looking at trying different EV splits, I believe this is to be the most effective with this team thus far.

Black (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 216 Atk / 236 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw

Next I decided that I would need to include something that could complement Kyurem and help him set up easy kills or take them yet it had to be a steel type to cover his weakness. I decided to include a Maganazone, one that sneakily has HM: Fire which just destroys other steal types he locks in with his ability. The team at this point was coming together, knowing I had a dedicated spot to Politoad, I needed to look at everything and make sure I was covering my type disadvantages.

legend (Magnezone) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 28 HP / 228 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

I don't know about others, but I love dragons, DragMag was such a good team and it was always my in-game team and a second team I had played around with but just couldn't fully find a solid team. I've opted to include a second dragon, although this spot is really interchangeable and I'm looking for something else. Yet Latios does indeed provide good offensive sweeps especially when Kyurem is down.

The Lost (Latios) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Dragon Pulse

So with the bulk core of the team built, and with only 1 spot left I decided I would go with a crowd favorite with SashTerrakion, not going to lie but SashTerrakion is boss especially when you just hit rock slide after rock slide. Not to forget though he does have a very good move pool and this offensive beast will purposely set up with a swords dance and then take a hit to only live with sash and destroy another pokemon.

Tera (Terrakion) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Last but not least is everyone's favorite toad, Politoad is really good and to be perfectly honest I think a rouge rain team will make its way through gen6 especially when people stop using them completly, leading that front line will be a Politoad, lets just get to the point he is amazing! Although i did opt to include HM: Electric to get a type advantage over water walls such as vaporeon, to just effectively chip away at them. I prefer scald over Hydro Pump the chance to burn ruins sash and I find myself hitting burn more than not, personal preference there although I did often change between the two.

Jap (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Thanks for the time!

Last edited:
Very balanced team, take it as a suggestion, but eject button does not give anything to Tornadus he can be out easily specially on rain, so you may consider using a mind game instead, set a tailwind and throw your champion, but i get the idea and i like it, i run a rain team using Choice Spec Tornadus and Azumarril is very fun

Last edited:
Does eject button let you choose what you switch in? If not it doesn't seem useful, though I totally understand the idea of getting Kyu-B in quickly to wreck things. Also it doesn't work well with Acrobatics so you probably want to run Hurricane or something.

hey there qbSuperstar, interesting team you have there, although, it still has some flaws.

i'd recommend running superpower > acrobatics on tornadus, as acrobatics is redundant when paired with hurricane, for a few reasons. they have literally the same coverage, and uninvested, acrobatics will almost always be weaker than hurricane. superpower allows you to hit ttar and heatran for quite a lot of damage.

kyu-b dosen't really use tailwind to it's fullest with your current set. a mixed lo set would be a nice replacement, as sub kyu-b just wastes a turn of tailwind settting up sub, meanwhile the mixed set can just fire off powerful hits right away. there isn't much in the tier able to take draco meteor and outrage as well.

your team struggles a lot against scarf keldeo + scizor / ttar, as your only solid check to keldeo, latios, is easily trapped by scizor or ttar through a simple double switch. you're also weak to specs latios, who can at the very least 2hko everything on your team with draco meteor. i'd recommend running scarf rachi > latios, as scarf rachi is a solid check to the aforementioned threats, as it threatens everything bar scizor, who can be trapped by magnezone. in case you are wondering, zen headbutt is used to hit keldeo. latios just seems to add to your weakness to keldeo and specs latios, and it has a similiar role to that of kyu-b's.

your team lacks a dedicated wallbreaker, and if you choose to run scarf rachi, you'll have two scarfers, which is a bit unecessary. your team also dosen't take advantage of tailwind to its fullest. i'd recommend running specs keldeo > scarf politoed, as it is able to do a lot of damage to the opposing team with tailwind support.

tornadus = superpower > acrobatics

Kyurem-B @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power / Hidden Power [Fire]

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Ice Punch

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Trait: Justified
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Does eject button let you choose what you switch in? If not it doesn't seem useful, though I totally understand the idea of getting Kyu-B in quickly to wreck things. Also it doesn't work well with Acrobatics so you probably want to run Hurricane or something.
You get to choose with eject button so I normally go into Kyruem by turn 3 with the tailwind up.

hey there qbSuperstar, interesting team you have there, although, it still has some flaws.

i'd recommend running superpower > acrobatics on tornadus, as acrobatics is redundant when paired with hurricane, for a few reasons. they have literally the same coverage, and uninvested, acrobatics will almost always be weaker than hurricane. superpower allows you to hit ttar and heatran for quite a lot of damage.

kyu-b dosen't really use tailwind to it's fullest with your current set. a mixed lo set would be a nice replacement, as sub kyu-b just wastes a turn of tailwind settting up sub, meanwhile the mixed set can just fire off powerful hits right away. there isn't much in the tier able to take draco meteor and outrage as well.

your team struggles a lot against scarf keldeo + scizor / ttar, as your only solid check to keldeo, latios, is easily trapped by scizor or ttar through a simple double switch. you're also weak to specs latios, who can at the very least 2hko everything on your team with draco meteor. i'd recommend running scarf rachi > latios, as scarf rachi is a solid check to the aforementioned threats, as it threatens everything bar scizor, who can be trapped by magnezone. in case you are wondering, zen headbutt is used to hit keldeo. latios just seems to add to your weakness to keldeo and specs latios, and it has a similiar role to that of kyu-b's.

your team lacks a dedicated wallbreaker, and if you choose to run scarf rachi, you'll have two scarfers, which is a bit unecessary. your team also dosen't take advantage of tailwind to its fullest. i'd recommend running specs keldeo > scarf politoed, as it is able to do a lot of damage to the opposing team with tailwind support.
I'll give it a go and let you know, i'll try both the LOset and the new band set I was given and just see as it is. I'll also try the differnt changes, thanks for spending time looking at it!

Instead of this becoming another arguement, the "best set" of anything is usually debateable and/or opinion based. You can use your weak, split offenses set that I find disgusting, while I use my Banded Kyurem-B. Exception to where there's a "best set" would be if, for example, someone said the set he is currently using is the best. That would be wrong for 1 reason: he thinks it is the best set because it is on Smogon when that means nothing. Just because someone posts a set that doesn't make it any better or worse, same as if it wasn't.

again, /rant
I don't want to enter in debate here, if you find a set disgusting do not use of it, it's fine, im agree with you, not for being in smogon is the "best set". I will say again to qbSuperstar: Do not use Banded Kyurem and the answerd is right in his own post, he uses Kyurem after Tailwind why did you want a Banded Kyurem if your intention is sweep impulsed by the wind?

Tailwind is temporary, so how would sweep with something that sets up a Sub, is weak to hazards, and takes LO recoil and would have to switch in multiple times. That's just stupid. You can use whatever set you want but don't reply to me when I don't talk to you or when it doesn't involve you.
Only a stupid one will set a tailwind and let it past, can you read right? read the first post, he wants to throw Kyurem right after, is that hard to understand? and also what's the matter with LO recoil?? your argumment is so wrong, you may wanna work on it, and by the way you reply me first smart kid and i can reply anyone i want, who are you anyways?? you make my day dude, you can reply me all you want, and bla bla all you want ok

Hi there. Cool team, but I noticed something. Your team barely benefits from the rain. The only benefits you have from rain here is the removal of Magnezone's fire weakness and the 100% accuracy hurricane from Tornadus. Why use Toed if you have very little benefit from it? Also, that dbzmariogeno guy is an asshole, I just read through this thread lol.

Hello Mate,

Here is my suggestion to you:

I believe scarf Politoed is a great idea. almost anything that switches into it first turn gets hit by a surprise Factor. Before we get into all that, lets change a few things about your Politoed. It needs immediate impact. Try Running Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Psychic/Perish Song

For Example,

252 SpA Politoed Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Breloom: 244-288 (93.12 - 109.92%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Politoed Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion in rain: 504-594 (155.55 - 183.33%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, there are two HUGE aspects lacking on your team.

1) It gets torn to shreds by Stealth rock and Skarmory
2) It gets torn to shreds by Brelooms

So heres how to counter your problems

On Tornadus try, try running Sky Plate->Hurricane/Heat Wave/Sleep Talk/Tail Wind @Timid nature

On Latios try choice scarf/Choice Spec Dracometeor/Surf/Psyshock/Trick. Trick is used to completely cripple a stall Pokemon

I'd replace Magnezone with Starmie, it also posses Natural Cure for healing against Spores for Fast Rapid Spins

As for Kyruem-B. Run what makes you happy but make sure it has synergy with your team. Right now you have one sweeper: Terrakion. I mainly you Kyurem Black to break walls. I'll pick a set depending on what YOU feel necessary.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tl;Dr

Jap (Politoed) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Perish Song

- Psychic
- Ice Beam

Hypnosis (Tornadus) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Sleep Talk
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane

The Lost (Latios) @ Choice Spec/Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Trick

Legend @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spd

Timid Nature

- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Rapid Spin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)