Trait: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Payback/(Thunderpunch?)
- Bullet Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge

Machamp, the Anti-lead

While weather has been the fad of OU, like a blight, almost never ending and in every team you can find a weather-inducer, I have decided to use a lead that destroys most weather users. Welcome Machamp the Anti-lead! With high evs pumped into attack and a adamant nature, it can decimate weather-inducers who are weak to Dynamic Punch (Opposing Tyranitar and occasional occurences of Abomasnow) and Stone Edge (Ninetales). It seems like this form of Anti-lead is largely outmoded in OU (from what I infer, its disappearance of this build from Smogon) these few days and I think it can make quite a big surprise. Bullet Punch is firstly, for guaranteed 2HKO if the power moves of Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge are unable to fully clear the foes, and secondly, for late game clearing, of highly weakened foes, but this is unlikely since the Anti-lead plays a large part in most of early game. Payback is highly effective to deal against the ethereal and untouchable Ghost-types and the psionic Psychic-types.

No Guard is obviously chosen to compensate low accuracies in the moves that are required to pulverize the above mentioned weather-inducers. Of course, with occasional status inducers such as Breloom, or even Sableye (Will-O-Wisp) and etc, Lum Berry is effective to nullify these conditions and allow the Anti-lead to pack another effective punch before falling. The Anti-lead is able to go against most entry hazard setting up, with the exception of perhaps Skarmory, whose flying move is able to penetrate the Anti-Leads buff muscles. But however I have other options to counteract. Also, Politoed seem to be a problem also, since the Anti-lead is unable to fully take it out within one hit and Politoed, with the powers of rain, can wash the Anti-lead out. (After damage calculations, I figured that Dynamic Punch deals the same damage as Thunderpunch to Politoed so there is no use in changing Payback to Thunder Punch)

Tyranitar (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Crunch

Tyranitar, the Emperor of Sand
Clearly, I clear other weather inducers, for the convenience to set-up my own. With Machamp eliminating the weather-inducers, The Emperor of Sand can safely come out and play (and its fainting would not be a big impact to the team since the weather is already set-up). The Emperor of Sand has a focus sash to prevent it from dying from doing anything useful. I decided on a more specially-based Tyranitar because firstly, it is less predictable than the all powerful and tyrant physically-based Tyranitar and secondly, in the realms of ground, rock and sand, there are few that are able to cast special attacks effectively in terms of (at least it has a sizeable Special Attack) base stats and movepool. The Emperor of Sand is able to destroy (some) of the foes the Anti-lead is unable to decimate. For example, the pesky Skarmory. Ice Beam also allows utility to destroy the all popular Dragon-types trying to set-up, with the likes of Salamence (who thinks it can deter the EoS (I am tired of typing in full) because he is usually more physical than special) and Garchomp, just to name a few. Stealth Rock is a effective and simple move to set-up to let the foes stack up damage from entry as well as accumulate sandstorm damage, for more easy clean-up for rest of the team. And of course Crunch to deal some sizeable amount of STAB damage.

Gastrodon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Gastrodon, the Sponge
While it is popular to run Sand Force in a Sandteam boosting Ground moves of Gastrodon even further, it is a even better option to have the Sponge to soak up the common Water weaknesses of the Ground and Rock types. Not to mention, Water-types are also becoming commonplace due to popularity of Politoed. Like a Sponge, she functions to soak-up Water damage in bid to raise her S Atk., also to force switches in Choice Variants of Politoed. Scald is to make up for her impoverish Defence stats, inflicting burn to those pesky Dragon Dance Sweepers like Gyarados, Dragonite and Salamence, while they try to set-up, and once inflicted with burn, Ice Beam is used to finish the latter two off (but I can actually do so right from the start). Recover is effective for sustaining the Sponge's time on the battlefield. Last but not least, Earth Power provides additional alternative for those who resist her Scald and Ice Beam.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Mamoswine, the Bulldozer
What is more perfect than Mamoswine, who can break and clear foes quickly and effectively. Icicle Crash is useful for crushing slower foes and inflicting a lucky flinch, whereas Ice Shard is effective to kill weakened foes and boosting opponents, such as the likes of the Dragon-types mentioned above. Earthquake and Superpower are standard moves for wider coverage against a wider range of opponents. The Bulldozer's main role is to clear out most members of the opponent teams, and some faster threats with priority Ice Shard, to win the game of course. His role is more mid game. A Life Orb would boost his offensive prowess to new level of excellence, whereas a Jolly nature allows him to outspeed some foes, with his slightly above acceptable levels of speed.

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock

Reuniclus, the Jester
You must be wondering, why is there a Trick room user doing here! Precisely! What the hell is it doing here, but therefore, it undoubtedly fits the role of the Jester (and the spirit of non-conformity and anti-meta). While large parts of metagame focus on speed and power, most of my team are not as fast compared to mainstream metagame attackers. Trick Room is both effective for the rest of the team and the Jester, bringing about an element of surprise and trickery to the team. Also, in the sand, like I mentioned earlier, there is some lack of effective, efficient special attackers, hence the Jester, synergises well with her other other teammates.

Sizeable bulk
is invested in the Jester to allow him to at least set-up Trick Room in order for it to sweep effectively in subsequent turns. Psyshock is chosen over Psychic to counteract Blisseys and Chanseys who can eat delicious Focus Blasts in their tummy. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are clearly for optimal coverage. Magic Guard is compatible in terms of the Sand, and the use of Life Orb to boost its damage to higher levels. Also, the Jester also acts as an absorber of Status moves for the other teammates, such as the Bulldozer and Rampage (Garchomp) who absolutely abhors status problems. The Jester can eat Burn and Toxic like nothing and Paralysis (unless full paralysis) does no harm but benefit in view of Trick Room. Sleep is another problem all together.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Outrage
- Fire Fang
- Earthquake

Garchomp, the Rampage
The epitome of BW2 OU, power and speed is all in this monster called Rampage. The Rampage's is a more late game one, with most of the threats cleared (Ice and faster dragons), the Rampage deals a fast and decisive victory for the team. Choice Band is clearly to boost its attacks to skyrocketting levels without the need to set up Swords Dance, also a Jolly Nature allows it to outspeed most unscarfed or supposedly slower foes most of the time. Dragon Claw serves as an alternative to the ever-risky Outrage, which maybe a bad idea locking into a Ferrothorn or other Steel-types. Fire Fang is also for optimal coverage, since I only have EoS carrying 1 Fire Blast, no harm having more Fire-type moves. Earthquake is absolutely necessary, for optimal STAB damage. Unless in early game the team faces a problems, the Rampage would not be reserved till the end.

Possible Threats? Anybody? Most of the time this teams wins by a large margin (3-4 Pokes) remaining but sometimes in facing boosting sweepers such as Conkeldurr (with Bulk Up) I cant seem to do anything to it (knocked out Reuniclus with a few hits).

Nice team, with some unusual pokes for sand.

Looking at your team, there are ways to stop most common OU threats, which is the basis of a good team. I don't think directly switching pokes would keep the synergy and roles, but I do have a few tweaks.

Machamp is standard and I have nothing to suggest there.

Your Tyranitar could do with a Quiet (+SpA, -Spe) nature. It's awkward trying to make a nature for a poke that really needs every stat, but Speed is the least necessary. Also, with TTar's defenses, especially in sand, it can take a hit easily, so I'd recommend changing Focus Sash for Leftovers.

Gastrodon and Mamoswine are standard, with one difference - Gastrodon has too many attacks. For a wall, I'd give it Toxic over Earth Power so it can wear down threats. Ice Beam is also rather unexpected for Gastrodon; in my experience you can get a few surprise kills on Dragons, especially Dragonite and Salamence that think they can set up.

Reuniclus is taken straight from the Smogon analysis, but there is one thing I'd recommend - changing Shadow Ball for Hidden Power Fire. Your team has no concrete counter to Scizor depending on the move it chooses, and Psychics are a magnet for Scizor. The same applies for Ferrothorn setting up hazards.

Garchomp is, once again, standard fare, but I'd change Dragon Claw for Dual Chop as it can break things like SubDD Gyarados and Dragonite's Multiscale.

All in all, great sand team, and I'm sure you'll have success with it.

Ok, looking at your team, I've noticed some pretty big flaws. Firstly, you have no grass resists what-so-ever. This is a really big problem, as it allows Pokemon such as Celebi, Breloom, and Venasaur in Sun to put massive dents in your entire team. The main reason why you have no grass resists is because you use three ground types. I'd recommend losing Mamoswine for Choice Banded Scizor, as it gives you a quad resist to Grass-types, a form of priority, as well as a way to gain momentum in the match. The next thing I noticed is your weakness to Water. If Gastrodon gets removed, and Tyranitar's Sash gets broken, Pokemon such as Choice Specs Keldeo have a field day on this team, OHKOing all of your Pokemon (Except for Gasto, of course) in rain. A way to deal with this problem would be to do two thing. Firstly, switch Reuniclus for Focus Sash Alakazam. Alakazam has the same amazing ability as Reuniclus, except he's much stronger, and has the ability to check Keldeo, which none of your other Pokemon can currently do. Next, I'd replace Machamp with Celebi either specially defensive or offensive. Celebi allows you team to better take water attacks, and also gives you a way to hit them back for super-effective damage. Not only that, but since you are using a Lead Tyranitar set anyways, you still have a dedicated Pokemon to lead with. Now, you're team has only one more problem: Bug Types. Pokemon, such as Scizor and Volcarona, pose a serious threat to your team, as you have three bug-weak Pokemon and only one resist. However, in switching Garchomp to Choice Scarfed Salamence, you will do two things: Provide your team with another much-need bug resist, and give your team a revenge killer that can sweep opposing teams. Also, while this isn't a necessity, you might want to replace Gastrodon with Bulky Offensive Rotom-W, as it provides you with a VoltTurn core while still providing you with basically the same resistences/weakness that Gastrodon had.

Recommended Changes:
Mamoswine --> Choice Banded Scizor
Reuniclus --> Focus Sash Alakazam
Machamp --> Celebi (Specially Defensive or Offensive)
Garchomp --> Choice Scarf Salamence
Gastrodon --> Bulky Attacker Rotom-W (Maybe)

Sorry if it feels like I'm re-building your team from scratch, but I just couldn't help but notice your team has some serious flaws with Water and Grass types that needed to be overcome. If you think you can clean up these weaknesses while replaces less Pokemon, then by all means, go for it. Hope this helps! :)

Nice team, with some unusual pokes for sand.

Looking at your team, there are ways to stop most common OU threats, which is the basis of a good team. I don't think directly switching pokes would keep the synergy and roles, but I do have a few tweaks.

Machamp is standard and I have nothing to suggest there.

Your Tyranitar could do with a Quiet (+SpA, -Spe) nature. It's awkward trying to make a nature for a poke that really needs every stat, but Speed is the least necessary. Also, with TTar's defenses, especially in sand, it can take a hit easily, so I'd recommend changing Focus Sash for Leftovers.

Gastrodon and Mamoswine are standard, with one difference - Gastrodon has too many attacks. For a wall, I'd give it Toxic over Earth Power so it can wear down threats. Ice Beam is also rather unexpected for Gastrodon; in my experience you can get a few surprise kills on Dragons, especially Dragonite and Salamence that think they can set up.

Reuniclus is taken straight from the Smogon analysis, but there is one thing I'd recommend - changing Shadow Ball for Hidden Power Fire. Your team has no concrete counter to Scizor depending on the move it chooses, and Psychics are a magnet for Scizor. The same applies for Ferrothorn setting up hazards.

Garchomp is, once again, standard fare, but I'd change Dragon Claw for Dual Chop as it can break things like SubDD Gyarados and Dragonite's Multiscale.

All in all, great sand team, and I'm sure you'll have success with it.
Yes thank you for your reply! :) I will try and experiment with it before I update again!

Ok, looking at your team, I've noticed some pretty big flaws. Firstly, you have no grass resists what-so-ever. This is a really big problem, as it allows Pokemon such as Celebi, Breloom, and Venasaur in Sun to put massive dents in your entire team. The main reason why you have no grass resists is because you use three ground types. I'd recommend losing Mamoswine for Choice Banded Scizor, as it gives you a quad resist to Grass-types, a form of priority, as well as a way to gain momentum in the match. The next thing I noticed is your weakness to Water. If Gastrodon gets removed, and Tyranitar's Sash gets broken, Pokemon such as Choice Specs Keldeo have a field day on this team, OHKOing all of your Pokemon (Except for Gasto, of course) in rain. A way to deal with this problem would be to do two thing. Firstly, switch Reuniclus for Focus Sash Alakazam. Alakazam has the same amazing ability as Reuniclus, except he's much stronger, and has the ability to check Keldeo, which none of your other Pokemon can currently do. Next, I'd replace Machamp with Celebi either specially defensive or offensive. Celebi allows you team to better take water attacks, and also gives you a way to hit them back for super-effective damage. Not only that, but since you are using a Lead Tyranitar set anyways, you still have a dedicated Pokemon to lead with. Now, you're team has only one more problem: Bug Types. Pokemon, such as Scizor and Volcarona, pose a serious threat to your team, as you have three bug-weak Pokemon and only one resist. However, in switching Garchomp to Choice Scarfed Salamence, you will do two things: Provide your team with another much-need bug resist, and give your team a revenge killer that can sweep opposing teams. Also, while this isn't a necessity, you might want to replace Gastrodon with Bulky Offensive Rotom-W, as it provides you with a VoltTurn core while still providing you with basically the same resistences/weakness that Gastrodon had.

Recommended Changes:
Mamoswine --> Choice Banded Scizor
Reuniclus --> Focus Sash Alakazam
Machamp --> Celebi (Specially Defensive or Offensive)
Garchomp --> Choice Scarf Salamence
Gastrodon --> Bulky Attacker Rotom-W (Maybe)

Sorry if it feels like I'm re-building your team from scratch, but I just couldn't help but notice your team has some serious flaws with Water and Grass types that needed to be overcome. If you think you can clean up these weaknesses while replaces less Pokemon, then by all means, go for it. Hope this helps! :)
Hi LightningLuxray! Yes indeed I havent been exposed much to other team and some teams I go against online isnt all quite the same. Maybe the main reason for the frequent victories is the lack of meeting some of the threats you mentioned? I really welcome and appreciate your suggestions because in RMT we try to criticise as constructively as possible trying to improve!

It is true that Grass types will dent the team but I think I havent been meeting some enough. Scizor do indeed sound like a good idea to add on to the team. I was quite obsessed in killing Dragon types thats why 3 out of 6 pokemons on my team have Ice-type moves. I do agree that choice-banded Scizor will be a fantastic addition to the team! In actual fact, I have 2 bug weak (Ttar and Reuniclus) and 1 resist (Machamp) correct me if I am wrong? By switching Machamp to Celebi I would have 3 bug weak and 1 resist (if you count Scizor, and not to mention Celebi is 4x weak against bug)

Keldeo seems problematic for now I do agree because there is nothing that outspeeds Keldeo (if we assume Keldeo to be positive speed nature), but if we run Alakazam Focus Sash, it might lack power compared to Life Orb, and Alakazam on the whole is alot more fragile than Reuniclus and Alakazam without Orb there is a significant possibility that he might not be able to OHKO Keldeo.

252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 398-471 (123.21 - 145.82%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Alakazam Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 294-348 (91.02 - 107.73%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO

whereas Reuniclus can take one hit from Keldeo's Choice Spec boosted Hydro Pump:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Reuniclus: 334-394 (81.66 - 96.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Yes but I do agree that this will limit Reuniclus's usefulness and Alakazam is amazing because it has speed which is a vital part of BW2 metagame. While Reuniclus can never switch into a Choice boosted Hydro Pump, but it can be used to "Revenge-kill" Keldeo at full hp, tanking 1 Hydro Pump and setting up Trick Room in the same turn, OHKO Keldeo with a Psyshock on the next. I think I will try and see for myself what works best? Reuniclus has quite some affinity with its rest of its teammates in lieu of Trick Room and its place in the team as a tanky (comparatively) Special attacker.

I feel that the case for Salamence cannot be justified because I think that I do actually with addition of Scizor, quite a siezable amount of Bug-resist pokemons in balance with the Bug-weak pokemons? And Salamence is additional problem because of Stealth Rocks and on a choice pokemon, it is bad in some sense because we can only choose 1 move and when the opposing team sends out something that resists Salamence attacks, I would have to switch and it will take quite a bit of toll on Salamence. My original team has no member that is weak (mostly neutral) to SR. I think if I bring in Salamence I would have to think about Stealth Rocks also. Of course Salamence would be effective and its power will increase overtime but Sandstorm will take alot of toll on Salamence, something I dont really prefer.

I twill not switch Gastrodon for Rotom-W? Simply because it is immune to Water attacks and Rotom-W takes damage from the Sand which I am extremely reluctant to add.

Actually I feel that by taking out the ground/rock/steel pkmns will kill the essence of the Sand team and destroy the reason of having Sandstorm in the first place, thats why I am quite reluctant to make some of the changes :( However I am thankful and appreciative ^^ that you pointed out some of the more major weakness that I need to address :) Hope you dont take it personally thank you :)

Ok, all the changes you made sound good to me! :)
Though, I must ask one thing: If you run Machamp as your lead, why run Focus Sash Lead Tyranitar? Maybe you should switch it to a more bulky spread, and give it leftovers?
Also, the main reason I suggested Alakzam is because your team really has no way to revenge faster threats, except with Scizors Bullet Punch. Not to mention if Keldeo is able to get rain up, or if Reuniclus has taken a little prior damage, it will die to Hydro Pump, so I really feel that Alazakam would be the better option. Even if he doesn't kill Keldeo, he will always be able to live a hit due to Focus Sash. Not only that, but his speed allows you to have a revenge killer for this team. Another option you have for a revenge killer is changing your Garchomp/Other Dragon type to a Scarfed set, though you will notice an overall decrease in power.
Overall, I think the changes you made were great, and I hope your team will have a lot more success! :D

Right... change to a bulky Ttar, is the best for your team, in a wether fight he can live another day to bring the sand, by the way good team i like it, with a little twist it can work in 6th gen

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)