RMT Gen 5 all purpose team

Hey guys! I've been playing showdown for a while (although I hesitate to call myself a "competitive" player), and I've been running this team with mostly positive results. Occasionally I get absolutely squashed, but I can usually attribute that to my own inexperience, shoddy predictions, forgetting type X resists move Y, etc. When played correctly, this team actually does its job quite well, although I can't help but wonder if it could be even better, which is why I'm propositioning you lovely smogonites today.

This team functions as somewhat of a "jack of all trades" team, which is the fancy way of saying that my strategy is so nebulous that I couldn't quite tell you what it is if I tried. Typically, I aim to set up a lucario sweep with wobbuffet, or toxic/wall the opposing team to death should they be ill-equipped to deal with the indestructible special damage sponge that is blissey. I fear I may be rambling a bit here, so without further adieu I give you my team. Don't be afraid to be harsh and critical, I can assure you that the more holes you can poke in my team, the happier I'll be...well, provided that you also tell me how to fix aforementioned holes.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Skarmory functions mainly as my opener, in a typical match I'll utilize its durability to get out a guaranteed stealth rock, and then depending on how hard it got hit the first turn I'll either let it die for a free switch-in to a more relevant 'mon, or preserve him for later use as a physical wall/pivot for the team.

Alakazam (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good ol' alakazam here is my special attacker/revenge killer. He -can- sweep, but I find that his ability to do so is lackluster without the aid of a life orb. Even so, he is a wonderful utility to my team, especially since my two other offense oriented 'mon are physical attackers.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Flamethrower
- Softboiled
- Toxic

This is easily the most consistently useful pokemon on my team. Removes the threat of troublesome status conditions almost entirely, walls literally every special attacker in OU, even with boosts and lucky crits, and can even dish out hurt to steel types that resist toxic with flamethrower to boot. I've considered swapping out aromatherapy/softboiled for heal bell/wish, but I'm hesitant to do so just because of how many times blissey's incredible staying power has single handedly won matches for me.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Fire Fang

The more reliable of my two physical sweepers, choice band garchomp is ideal for dishing out insane amounts of hurt to all but the toughest physical walls. Basically, if I lack the time or the supporting 'mon I need to set up lucario, or if I need a pesky pokemon dead -right now-, this guy does the trick nearly every time. I've been shuffling his coverage moves around as of late, and so far I think this combination serves to maximize garchomp's effectiveness on my team.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

Lucario is my all-star sweeper. Blissey provides many hard fought, tedious victories, but it's only lucario that can decimate the entire enemy team with minimal effort. Obviously there isn't a whole lot of variation with lucario, but I have been playing with the idea of switching out crunch for bullet punch to deal with the likes of gengar, and perhaps even inner focus for justified, just to make the setup all the more quick after, oh say, encoring a dark type attack with wobbuffet.

Wobbuffet (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 28 HP / 232 Def / 248 SDef
Bold Nature
- Counter
- Encore
- Mirror Coat
- Safeguard

Ah wobbuffet, my secret weapon, and undoubtedly the cause of much angst and rage. This 'mon alone epitomizes the "jack of all trades" mentality of my team, whether it be breaking a sweep, setting up lucario for an easy victory, or just plain effortlessly killing that one pokemon that's pissing me off, this guy basically serves to deal with anything that can't be handled by my other five pokemon. Why is it shiny, you ask? Well...screwing people over with pink wobbuffet just makes me smile, I guess.

and there you have it. Fire away, ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:
ok, quick look at your team, it looks like you have a neutrality to fire&electric... i'm a noob, but i think the best thing would be to replace skarmory with a gastrodon.

my personal opinion, but outrage can do more hurt than good. for example: i have a dragonite out. you 1 hit KO it. i switch to SHEDINJA... you can imagine, or i switch to lapras and use ICE SHARD... I'd suggest using another move like dragon tail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for bothering to take a look at my team, gamer! I've definitely been screwed over plenty of times by outrage, but dragon tail makes me nervous, if only because of the imperfect accuracy. Would dragon claw be a viable choice instead?
as for gastrodon...ugh, its a good Pokemon, but slugs are icky. I guess you can't always have functional and pretty at the same time. I will consider it.

dragon claw can be sort of boring because...it has no secondary effect and has an average power. but if you dont like dragon tail or outrage, go right ahead.

Yeah I know gen VI is all the rage but I might as well rate this. Do let me know if the language I'm using is a bit technical.

You have the makings of a decent Hyper-offense team here. However, Blissey (to me at least) seems completely out of place here. It is just set-up bait, and this is the sort of team where, if you get set up on you are going to lose more often than not.

To solve this problem I would change Skarmory to a Custap Lead and use Gengar over Blissey, since Gengar is the best offensive spinblocker in OU. (You could try Chandelure I guess).

Sets:

Skarmory @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd; Jolly Nature

Basically guaranteed to get up two layers of hazards versus anything that isn't a faster taunt user or a Magic Bouncer. The idea behind this set is simple: clutter the field with hazards and prevent your opponent doing the same. Brave Bird can even be really useful when Sturdy has activated to get in another Pokemon, eg, leading against Starmie, lay Stealth Rock as you are reduced to 1HP by Hydro Pump, then Brave Bird to stop it spinning, and get Alakazam in to revenge kill it.

Gengar @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Destiny Bond
- Trick
252 SpA / 252 Spd; Timid

A pretty cool Scarfer IMO. Speed ties Scarf Latios and outruns Chlorophyll Venusaur. You can switch into spinners as they spin, and, even if you can't directly KO, you can always D-Bond. If Gengar has sacrificed itself to kill the spinner it's done its job.

ABSOLUTELY keep Outrage. Power is everything.

Last edited:
wow, thanks man! I definitely appreciate the in-depth review. I hadn't considered that blissey of all things would be the one holding my team back, so to speak. I like the sound of "hyper offense", particularly since most of my wins just come from plowing through the enemy team with garchomp and lucario anyways. I'll give choice scarf gengar and cutsap skarmory a shot right away, I guess we'll see how it works out!

edit: oh by the way, the technical jargon isn't an issue for me, I've been reading quite a bit of smogon, so I'm more than used to it~

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from with dragon tail, the reason I like it a lot is you could be facing off against another dragon type, and if you're faster, they can't hit you, and in truth, you could sweep with that single move.

I get where you're coming from with dragon tail, the reason I like it a lot is you could be facing off against another dragon type, and if you're faster, they can't hit you, and in truth, you could sweep with that single move.
except dragon tail has negative priority doesn't it..? also, even if that's not so, garchomp isn't the fastest 'mon out there, nor is he the most durable, so if somebody is faster or packing a priority move, it won't take much to shut that down.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I agree with noobcubed about your team being a HO team. Blissey is out of place and in my opinion, Wobbuffet can be replaced with a sweeper to make your team even more powerful. A Iron Fist Conkeldurr instead of Wobbuffet will help to get rid of things that Lucario can't kill:
Code:
Conkeldurr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
Also, change Skarmory to a Custap lead like noobcubed said.
Also, about CS Gengar, I generally prefer Expert Belt or Life Orb so you can switch moves. That's all I have!

I agree with noobcubed about your team being a HO team. Blissey is out of place and in my opinion, Wobbuffet can be replaced with a sweeper to make your team even more powerful. A Iron Fist Conkeldurr instead of Wobbuffet will help to get rid of things that Lucario can't kill:
Code:
Conkeldurr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Ice Punch
Also, change Skarmory to a Custap lead like noobcubed said.
Also, about CS Gengar, I generally prefer Expert Belt or Life Orb so you can switch moves. That's all I have!
You may or may not be right, but I find that wobbuffet allows me to set up lucario sweeps super easy, not to mention that it's way too much fun not to use :3

as for all that other stuff, I did do as he said, and so far I've been finding the team to work wonderfully. I'm still at -about- the same ladder rating, but my wins are now much more consistent, and a helluva lot quicker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)