Hobbies Riichi Mahjong

Hi! I got into this game over the pandemic, and I really enjoy it! It's simultaneously relaxing and strategic. Online I mostly play on Mahjong Soul because it's easier to introduce friends to a client which is natively in English and lets you take 5 minute turns. I've also had the chance to play in person a few times, but teaching people can be hard.

I've also gotten to play in a few tournaments. Anyone interested in joining a charity tournament should check out the Extra Life Open on Nov 4-5 https://discord.gg/WznkpxrW3K

Last edited:
Hi! I got into this game over the pandemic, and I really enjoy it! It's simultaneously relaxing and strategic. Online I mostly play on Mahjong Soul, because it's easier introduce friends to a client which is natively in English and lets you take 5 minute turns. I've also had the chance to play in person a few times, but teaching people can be hard.

I've also gotten to play in a few tournaments. Anyone interested in joining a charity tournament should check out the Extra Life Open on Nov 4-5 https://discord.gg/WznkpxrW3K
Interesting! I never got too involved with the MJS playerbase, or the mahjong community as a whole. I usually played with a small friend group, but maybe getting into tournaments will motivate me to improve >:)

I won a kokushi musou yakuman (13 orphans) on mahjong soul the other day. Game is very luck based tbh.
Even though it's one of the more common yakuman it's still really cool to see! I don't think I've ever gotten a yakuman myself. I'm holding out for the day I finally hit Ryuuiisou (all green), I think out of every Riichi hand that one is the most "someone got this and bullshit their friends into thinking it was worth points"

It's a shame how much sheer luck is involved in Mahjong in general tbh, like the game has insanely deep strategy but even when you activate all your neurons and play perfectly that looks like you maybe win the hand 35% of the time instead of 25%. It means the game is always available regardless of how hard I want to try, but it also means it's never fully satisfying no matter what mood I'm in. I guess that's not the end of the world though. I mean, you could level pretty much all the same criticisms at Pokemon, and somehow we all ended up here.

I gotta admit, automatic mahjong tables are surely a very impressive piece of technology. Just look at this!

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I've played a lot of chinese official mahjong (like youd find on mahjongtime) but not any other big variants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)