Reviving the Smogon Frontier

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If that is the case then you can scratch his name off the list. I was just naming people off the top of my head that I would be really nervous against if I was battling for something important.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just saying I can't wait to participate in this :) (challanger, obviously) Doing a different mategame each time seems a bit much for something where you need a set amount of wins, as it basically means "master 7+ different metagames" which is a bit beyond most people. The odd different one does the job of spicing the overall challange up a bit.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ubers and UU should definately be considered, wouldn't the Smogon Tour revert to different generations (RBY, GSC, RSE, DPP) once available anyway?

Battle Pike: Luck Symbol
I believe this one should just be a regular OU battle, with a slight twist. Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, and Evasion Clause should all be un-checked. Adding more of an element of "luck" to the battle. (I'd still be a bit weary on turning Sleep Clause off though, but if that seems fairer then so be it).

Battle Arena: Guts Symbol
This one could be a little more difficult. In the game, you play one Pokémon against your opponents for three turns without switching, and you're judged on three different aspects, which will probably be too hard to do over Shoddy Battle. In the anime, a randomizer chooses whether the battle will be 1vs1, 2vs2, or 3vs3. Now, we could replicate this with the Brain asking a challenger to pick "A, B, or C" and have all three randomized. However, playing 1vs1 is heavily reliant on luck as well. But we could still do this, maybe change it to 2vs2, 4vs4, or 6vs6, possibly even implement a best 2/3 basis on this as well.

Battle Factory: Knowledge Symbol & Factory Medal(?)
Will obviously be similar, but we can just play around with these. You can still add a lot of clauses to a Random Battle, so having slightly different ones for each is probably enough. One could be best 2/3, one cold be best 3/5 or whatever...

Battle Dome: Tactics Symbol
No idea for this one, would probably be best off just switching the metagame to change the "tactics". Probably UU.

Battle Pyramid: Brave Symbol
No real idea again, but I'd just say this one should be Ubers.

Battle Palace: Spirits Symbol
No idea...

Battle Tower: Ability Symbol & Tower Medal(?)
We usually judge ability primarily on the Standard OU Metagame, so I think the Battle Tower(s) should be simply OU.

Battle Roulette: Roulette Medal(?)
No idea... Probably Little Cup though.

Battle Castle: Castle Medal(?)
No idea...

Battle Stage: Stage Medal(?)
Was thinking potentially mono-type, but not sure.

It could be problematic getting Brains to agree to rule-sets like this though, because I know I'd only really want to go for OU at the moment. But there's good variation there...

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I'll be willing to battle anyone for the UU brain, because I want it. (if we have one of course!)

Agreeing that we should have separate metagames with no special rules for some of the brains (Ubers, OU, UU, LC, maybe CaP OU) - this provides us with a few games that we know are going to be pretty well balanced. CC is good for a non-serious battle.

As for the rest, I'd rather try to make it as competitive as possible; really, that should be more important than sticking to the themes of the actual frontier areas. The Tournaments section has plenty of good ideas for this; some (like Point Buy) obviously wouldn't work, but there are several other possibilities we could take from there, like

- Exclusion match (each player has to use Pokemon with at least one non-standard move based on the most recent usage statistics)
- Strikeout match (each player is allowed to disallow their opponent from using one Pokemon)
- Diversity match (each player has to use one and only one Pokemon from each tier)

etc.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm probably just going to pick the Brains... there won't be any tournaments or trials to decide. This is just for convenience sake because, even last time, there was significant turnover among people with the Brain designation... I don't want a process in place other than simply picking in order to maintain flexibility in managing this project.

Also, people who were brains before have the first option to retain their original title if they are around still.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This seems like an awesome idea :).

If considered, I'd love to be a brain for sure :D. Don't care which one.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm pretty sure the last frontier was all OU and one random battle with Vineon, I personally do not see the need to use different rules for each battle as that can get quite confusing and probably slow the frontier down. And personally I think there are enough gimmick tournaments to go around to make this a totally serious undertaking (outside of random battle). That said I would love to be a Brain in any capacity.

Havak

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm pretty sure the last frontier was all OU and one random battle with Vineon, I personally do not see the need to use different rules for each battle as that can get quite confusing and probably slow the frontier down. And personally I think there are enough gimmick tournaments to go around to make this a totally serious undertaking (outside of random battle). That said I would love to be a Brain in any capacity.
I do kind of agree with this, but I'd like to see Ubers and UU utilized somewhere, as well as Random Battles for both Battle Factories, not just one.

My post was just to throw ideas around if the majority (and Aeolus) do want to have some variation.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This describes how I feel. The cool part about the Frontier was that it was so difficult and only very serious battlers even stood a chance; though all had fun participating. Only one person even came close to winning (IPL) and it added to the cache of the challenge.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sounds like a cool idea. There are certainly enough competent battlers who have volunteered for this to be a formidable challenge and I think its more interesting for it to be challenging rather than gimmicky so I'm more inclined to agree with Zerowing and Aeolus on that.

Aeolus, in your OP you mentioned discussion of the logistics of this but there doesn't appear to be discussion about it. I was just wondering how this actually works (unless it hasn't been decided yet). I wasn't around for this during Netbattle so how exactly does this work? Are people just designated as brains and users challenge them whenever they want or are there specific time intervals? How do you keep track of who has defeated which brains?

Havak

Last time, there was a thread where you applied to challenge. There was a set limit of sign ups IIRC, so only the first x number of people would get to challenge for a designated period of time (IIRC). Once that period of time was over, or once so many people had failed (or been victorious) in the challenge, more spaces would become available.

You can then challenge any brain and hope to win as many symbols as possible. IIRC, once you'd lost twice in total (which can be twice to the same brain and never get that symbol, or twice to two different brains) your challenge was over. Thus you couldn't challenge any other brains and you'd never complete the task. You'd also never be able to sign up to challenge again, as far as I'm aware.

It was all kept track of on-site, with a chart-like system.

Each person who had challenged would be on the list, with each symbol they'd won shown in a row across, and an "X" if they'd lost against that brain. Once you have two "X's", you're out.

Things might be slightly different this time, and I've propbably gotten some of that wrong. But that's the jist of it.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
This sounds fun, I can help if needed. I don't know if variety of teams or styles are ideal, but if they are, I can play a BP team or something. I was around kind of late for the ADV period so I'm not too falimar with the concept of Brains, but I would be willing to learn/ help with the program if possible.

Aeolus

Bag
Last time, there was a thread where you applied to challenge. There was a set limit of sign ups IIRC, so only the first x number of people would get to challenge for a designated period of time (IIRC). Once that period of time was over, or once so many people had failed (or been victorious) in the challenge, more spaces would become available.

You can then challenge any brain and hope to win as many symbols as possible. IIRC, once you'd lost twice in total (which can be twice to the same brain and never get that symbol, or twice to two different brains) your challenge was over. Thus you couldn't challenge any other brains and you'd never complete the task. You'd also never be able to sign up to challenge again, as far as I'm aware.

It was all kept track of on-site, with a chart-like system.

Each person who had challenged would be on the list, with each symbol they'd won shown in a row across, and an "X" if they'd lost against that brain. Once you have two "X's", you're out.

Things might be slightly different this time, and I've propbably gotten some of that wrong. But that's the jist of it.
yes. this is how we did it. i was planning on doing something similar unless someone has a better way of handling things.

Aeolus

Bag
Update: I sent chaos a PM requesting that he send me the old page... so as soon as I get my hands on that we'll get this off the ground.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
And challenge all but themselves? I doubt it. However, if they retired from the Frontier, there should be no reason not to.

On a different subject, it's good to see there's a glimpse of progress.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)