All Gens Revive old gen ladders

Probably this has been discussed before so I apologize if I'm redundant. Is there an interest and/or the possibility to incentive the play on older gens ladders, specifically DPP and ADV ones? They are dead af almost all the time and I'm honestly sick of playing that dog shit metagame that is ORAS.

I was thinking of some form of achievement/acknowledgment/bragging rights for getting highly rated on those ladders, something that has to be on a periodic and continuous base to guarantee the availabilty of players any time.

For example every X months the top Y players could gain some points depending on their ranking and spend those points to gain a lead advantage in tours related to those gens...

Note that my concern is about ladders; I am well aware of the existence of "The Smogon Classic", but like any other tournament it takes place in a short spawn of time, what I would love is to hit the find battle button any time and find an opponent.

Opinions?

There are enough people in smogtours which are good if you want to practise/play some old gen games,DPP/BW are the most played,ADV its rare to find someone which is good which want to play it regulary and RBY/GSC(PO) are like dead (you can still find RBY game on old gen room of PS!)

S0MALIA

Banned deucer.
For example every X months the top Y players could gain some points depending on their ranking and spend those points to gain a lead advantage in tours related to those gens...

Opinions?
Good thread

This cannot be allowed in official tournaments such as the Smogon classic while the average ROA tour hardly gets many people excited enough for them to actually to bother laddering to obtain extra points just for that one or two adv/dpp set of tournaments in the entire year.

A DPP ladder tournament which extends for several weeks whereby the winner gets special recognition or some form of compensation seems ideal. Not only will it be a tournament, but it is one that will revolve around laddering. This isn't a long term plan but it could cause a snowball effect and cause some of the pool to continue playing after the tournament. I am pretty sure if big names sign up and ladder it will encourage other users to do so.

Cull dead ladders and make them challenge-only. Too many people are getting misled into searching for opponents where one singular match occurs per month, and it's painful to read the same complaints over and over.

The only reason I can think of to the keep the unused ladders up is to make them mean anything again, and you're not going to do that without automatically sticking the results for roomtourney bracket matches into the ladder. Such a change would incentivize tournaments to get the ball rolling and ladder matches to prepare for tournaments (since you've already got the sample teams for the tournament). To take it one step further, you could actually use ladder ranking to determine seeding.

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
what you are suggesting is something Jellicent and I have been discussing for a while now. I think this sounds like a good idea although the main issue is actually getting people to play. As S0MALIA stated ROA tour hardly gets many people, so I think his suggestion with DPP would be best

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Cull dead ladders and make them challenge-only. Too many people are getting misled into searching for opponents where one singular match occurs per month, and it's painful to read the same complaints over and over.

The only reason I can think of to the keep the unused ladders up is to make them mean anything again, and you're not going to do that without automatically sticking the results for roomtourney bracket matches into the ladder. Such a change would incentivize tournaments to get the ball rolling and ladder matches to prepare for tournaments (since you've already got the sample teams for the tournament). To take it one step further, you could actually use ladder ranking to determine seeding.
Removing the older gens ladders are definitely not ideal, they are one of the only ways to get srious attraction to oldergens other than Randoms. If we did remove them more and more people would never give the older gens a chance and just stay playing ORAS / XY

Removing the older gens ladders are definitely not ideal, they are one of the only ways to get srious attraction to oldergens other than Randoms. If we did remove them more and more people would never give the older gens a chance and just stay playing ORAS / XY
Obviously, removing old ladders is not ideal for any objective you might have. Removing dead ladders is, outside of the unlikely scenario that they're going to be systemically reinvigorated. I get the feeling you didn't actually read that to which you replied.

You're not going to get "srious" attraction to old gens by just surrounding the already underpopulated core ladders with the vestiges of the BW2 nonstandard ladders. Including them as challenge formats will suffice in that regard, and is the best and easiest course of action. Right now there's no reason to further discourage the playerbase for these already underplayed formats. That will only lower the engagement of the average oldgen-explorer as they wait ages for a match that isn't coming until later that month.

Not happening my man. These generations are only getting older, not younger. I made a comeback DPP like 2-3 years ago and it's just not very active. And you would think that the only people on would at least be quality, old school dudes playing because theyre so passionate. Nope. I havent battled in about a year and just yesterday put together a dog shit team of 6 random mons with no real objective and despite a ton of overpredictions and shitty plays, I still won because it seems the guy I played against was using an in game team. Then I waited for another battle before I got bored and logged off.

My best advice would to have PO and PS simultaneously, thats how I got a lot of battles when I was doing it. PO, from what I recall, had better battlers but it was the same 6 people over and over.

Austin

Schismatic
Not happening my man. These generations are only getting older, not younger. I made a comeback DPP like 2-3 years ago and it's just not very active. And you would think that the only people on would at least be quality, old school dudes playing because theyre so passionate. Nope. I havent battled in about a year and just yesterday put together a dog shit team of 6 random mons with no real objective and despite a ton of overpredictions and shitty plays, I still won because it seems the guy I played against was using an in game team. Then I waited for another battle before I got bored and logged off.

My best advice would to have PO and PS simultaneously, thats how I got a lot of battles when I was doing it. PO, from what I recall, had better battlers but it was the same 6 people over and over.
I agree with what you are saying, FNH also brought up a good point on how we could revive the older gens ladder. He suggested something like OLT where the prize would be a trophy or something that would attract "famous" players. If we got big tournament players joining this, players of all calibre would join as well.

FNH

F is for Finchi, N is for Nator, H is for Hater
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well since Austin was a bitch and tagged me, I might as well elaborate on my idea.

Well the idea is based of the idea of what is the point to laddering? So you can get number one by playing fifty people who run things like Serperior, synchronize Alakazam, Siesmitoad, Emboar, Charizard,and Flygon. Or you play one match and get haxed by someone and they are a total jerk to you saying you cheat by using legendaries. It also takes five minutes or sometime seven longer to get one of these battles, further making laddering less fun. Even if you get high up there is no real bragging right here, because nine outta ten opponents aren't solid opponents. I just see laddering as reward-less and lacking the fun that the meta's it contains have.

Since I presented a problem of our ladders I should present the only solution I see fitting to the problem. I see an OLT like tour played for each old gen ladder, with a maybe even a cool trophy for the winner of each generation but that trophy bit is more dreaming then anything. i see as giving a reward to doing well on the ladder could attract more(and better) players to the ladder. That's how I see it, so don't get pissed that I ranted cause i gave my solution with it.

I agree with what you are saying, FNH also brought up a good point on how we could revive the older gens ladder. He suggested something like OLT where the prize would be a trophy or something that would attract "famous" players. If we got big tournament players joining this, players of all calibre would join as well.
That temporarily solves the problem of DPP players but long term does it keep the players? I want to make an analogy comparing these old gens to Midwest towns crumbling after the local industry got outsourced but I'm not articulate enough to make it sound good. Those damn Chinese and Mexicans took DPP from us. Vote Trump to make DPP great again.

Austin

Schismatic
That temporarily solves the problem of DPP players but long term does it keep the players? I want to make an analogy comparing these old gens to Midwest towns crumbling after the local industry got outsourced but I'm not articulate enough to make it sound good. Those damn Chinese and Mexicans took DPP from us. Vote Trump to make DPP great again.
If these tournaments become a scheduled thing that happens every now and again I could see more people playing the ladder to try and improve their skills and get a better chance of winning

First of all, thanks to everyone who took part in the discussion. Glad I'm not the only one sensible to this issue :]

So the prevalent idea is of an "old gen OLT", I really like it. It may involve more top players than the current OLT ever did and yeah, I'm positive than even during the 'dead times' when the OLT is over people would ladder more to get better and prepare for the competition.

I wish TDs or whoever decides on tournaments would take this matter into consideration :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)