Metagame Revelationmons

Just dumping this Ghost Spam team for you guys to try this cool metagame out with.

----------

CB Aeglislash spooky Ghost Spam
-
:landorus-therian::ferrothorn::tornadus-therian::aegislash::urshifu-rapid-strike::blacephalon:

- Banded:aegislash:is one of the most busted wallbreakers out there, flawlessly deleting pretty much everything from existence with Ghost type Close Combat while obliterating would-be checks such as:blissey:and:tyranitar:making use of Head Smash and Sacred Sword. Shadow Sneak is cool too.
- Scarfed:blacephalon:is here to clean up the mess after the passage of:aegislash:. It is potentially the most threatening cleaner and revenge killer in the whole Revmons metagame and is a nightmare for offense to face. Trick is broken against more defensively oriented team structures.
- :urshifu-rapid-strike:helps both of our Ghost types against opposing Dark and Normal types. Reversed STABs can help in a few situations, notably easing prediction against :ferrothorn: . Aqua Jet is a gift of gods that forces out:blacephalon:, :lycanroc-dusk:,:victini:and more.
- Speaking of the devil, our own :ferrothorn: can quickly take advantage of enemy Water types our offensive core tends to struggle against by setting up hazards or attacking. Unblockable STAB Body Press is just so good.
- Specially defensive:landorus-therian:is an excellent glue, soft-checking stuff like:blacephalon:, spreading paralysis around effortlessly by clicking Body Slam, removing hazards using Defog and just switching into things when needed.
- Assault Vest:tornadus-therian:just goes well with :ferrothorn: and:landorus-therian:and is a great pivot in general, which is appreciated when carrying three choice-locked mons. Superpower can also catch:blissey:and:tyranitar:off guard for the Ghost bros. Extra special bulk helps against:blacephalon:.

----------​

Team is not perfect for sure but I believe it to be able to win nearly every possible matchup. Play aggressively against opposing Ghost types and everything should be fine. I'll come back later with more teams. Stay safe and healthy, see you next time !

I hit #1 on ladder today and wanted to share my team.

1639178190386.png

https://pokepast.es/2a93de321ee1a4eb

I just wore down enemy teams with my 4 defensive pokemon (who knew balance could succeed here?) and occasionally brought in Thundurus or Steelix when I felt they were vulnerable. Steelix is my favorite mon here, it can 6-0 if they only have physical attackers remaining and is a decent answer to Tapu Koko and Toxtricity. Hydreigon must be kept healthy to reliably check Blacephalon and Marowak Alola.

Like my sketchmons team, this team also features only high accuracy moves (Leech Seed is the only exception at 90% accuracy).

Weaknesses of the team include Aegislash (what team isn't lol) and Dracozolt (just don't even ladder when chomper here is online; Dracozolt will 6-0 you). If you want to fix these weaknesses maybe just make a new team that isn't slow as hell.

Bonus Trivia: Thundurus originally made it on this team as I tried to find a pokemon that could OHKO defensive Pelipper and 2hko SpDef Ferro using the same move. Please share any other legal pokemon that can accomplish this feat.

Last edited:

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Been playing a lot by throwing teams onto the ladder and seeing what sticks. Generally my newest team gets countered game 1 so its been an awful horrible process but I have learned a lot.

:blacephalon: Nuke the clown please. It's not unbeatable but trying to dance around its many potential sets and what move it is going to use makes it force too many 50/50s in my eyes, and I feel like out of every dangerous offensive mon this one constrains defensive cores the most. It's not hard to force progress with this mon or wear down its few defensive checks with chip or predicted doubles (since barely anything wants to stay in), and Trick really cements this as a mon whose counterplay largely boils down to outplaying or overpreparing.

:pelipper: With Barraskewda gone I don't think rain is as unbearable as before. There's still strong abusers but there simply isn't a mon that comes close to such high Speed and Power. Part of what made Skewda so good was that Water CC and Band was still valuable outside rain as you could outpace a lot of mons and straight-up OHKO them even without the boost. Something like Kindra is mostly threatening when Rain is up, but tends to fall apart otherwise.

:slowbro: This mon is gross, it's not passive at all with tools like Body Press or Foul Play, alongside its usual Scald and Future Sight. The amount of Pokemon that actively want to deal with it is extremely small: the only downside is it being so slow most things can threaten it out if they hit hard enough, of which there is plenty, but few things actively want to switch in or try to wall it out long-term.

:landorus-therian: Does many things and can do them pretty damn well. It's nice to bring against the many physical threats in the metagame, helps out a lot in the hazard wars, and is able to really lay down punishment with stuff like STAB Body Slam or Knock Off. Everything being stronger sucks for more defensive sets but its still useful as a pivot/sack with Rocky Helmet or just leaning more into its good offensive capabilities.

I've also been seeing these teams I like to call "Extreme Stall." You basically wear down the opponent with fat mons and passive damage and make trades when you have to until the opponent is weak enough that something like CB Entei can clean late-game with ESpeed. I'm not a stall player as I have other things I like to do with my time (and I've been playing during dead time at work so matches would probably take too long), but the style is infuriatingly effective if you're unprepared or make even a few mistakes.

I will return with more thoughts once I figure out how to build/steal reliable teams.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Good news and Bad news: I'm back. Didn't want to Double Post but uh tired of waiting for other activity.

I had a go with making new teams based on Mons I'd seen mentioned here or thought would be very good and haven't seen run much.

I was inspired by CaptMicrowave's Slowking-G and Hydreigon for this one. I think the core is pretty solid against most things but the team is rather weak to Lycanroc-Dusk and other offensive rocks like Terrakion and offensive TTar. It's not perfect but it let me get to 1368, past UT's placement on ladder which makes me feel validated so here it is.

Slowking-Galar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Future Sight
- Flamethrower
- Scald

EVs are to give it more favorable rolls against Kingdra if needed, otherwise it's standard AV Glowking and is really useful in supporting my other mons as a scout and assistant breaker.

Hydreigon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 192 HP / 96 Def / 220 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Flamethrower
- Roost

This has a fantastic MU against the likes of Blacephalon (still broken tho), Victini, Slowbro, and is able to threaten the likes of Ferrothorn and Corviknight with Flamethrower + Taunt. I'm still not sure what the optimum set is for this guy: it has a lot of nice utility but it's hard running every move you want for it.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Volt Switch

I felt that the metagame was prime for Defensive Zapdos to shine, as it is good in pressuring a lot of Flying-types that typically are low on coverage versus it. Static isn't reliable but can often be a game winner if you get it on something like Landorus, Skarmory, Kartana, Lucario, Bisharp, etc.. Speed is high enough to outpace max Speed 75s like Toxtricity if it's ever needed. You could also probably run more speed on this to outpace something like Urshifu, but the hit to bulk would be pretty noticeable.

Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Trick

This set is pretty rough but works when it needs to. I wanted some extra defensive measure to ease the work Hydreigon needs to do and as a means of improving my MU against offensive Waters like Urshifu while having some form of Speed control to help deal with weakened teams or RK something in desperate times.

Lucario @ Protective Pads
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

I'm not sure what item is best on Lucario yet, it def wants extra power but it's also weak to lots of contact effects and Life Orb wearing it down doesn't sit with me right. I went with Pads just to be certain. This is a decent offensive check to Lycanroc but it can still take a ton from the dog so try to play carefully with it.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Body Slam
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

I probably EVd this for something important but I can't be bothered to look up what it is. Either way Lando is pretty much just the rocker and offensive support for this team, with maxed Speed in order to ensure better odds versus some of the slower offensive mons.

I wish I could have better defensive synergy on this team, in particular for stuff like Lycanroc or Koko, but TBH its really hard trying to cover all your bases at once right now and at some point you need to make compromises.

Threats to this team include Don Vascus and malding. If either of these situations are present while laddering DO NOT USE THIS TEAM!!!!

Steelix was something that also caught my eye as its very useful versus Lycanroc, Toxtricity, most Physical attackers, and the Smack Down Body Press set sounds shnasty. Get it shnasty and my name's shnowshner haha i'm so
Steelix @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Smack Down
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Rest

Smack Down doesn't need to be the Steel slot but like it's STAB so maybe it can help one day??? Basically this tries to find openings to ID up and once Special Attackers are dealt with or lack the power to break you you clean shop. This mon is DISGUSTING and I highly recommend building around it as you're likely better at it than I am.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 108 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Protect

Telepathy is run so you can fish for burns more reliably and so Steelix can actually use Rest. Protect is very useful for scouting Choice users and squeezing out as much Recovery as you can.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Scarf is pretty good on this as it can RK a lot of stuff and people are used to seeing Defensive Lando that many might just try to stay in and KO you. EQ is run here so that Body Slam and Knock Off are as spammable as possible, and the extra power helps a lot actually. Trust me the 40 HP EVs are useful for something I'm brilliant.

Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Teleport
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic

Blissey.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

I don't exactly know what to do with Ferrothorn, Body Press is a great move for it but I don't know whether you want it on Grass or Steel. Grass is useful for stuff like Slowbro but I lost to Cosmic Power Clef once and it tilted me so bad I almost recommend making it Steel-type. Since Slowbro actually runs Contact moves you can probably wear it down well enough with Iron Barbs and Leech Seed.

Entei @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Strong cleaner that is very good at dealing with offensive mons that lack higher Priority, and Sacred Fire is a nice tool to punish incoming checks like Tyranitar even if it won't burn as much as Fini's Scald in practice. I remember when I thought this had EQ: shame on me for thinking Entei was normally a good Pokemon. Either way ESpeed is a certified funny move and can really help you secure a game.

I don't think this is as solid as the last one but it's not completely awful, the biggest issue is definitely how slow it can be at time however which is a serious problem.

As a side-project I felt like making a sort of "prototype VR", not really ordered or complete but as a sort of reference and reflection on what I've seen and what I feel is the strongest right now.

A-Rank
Everything listed here are mons which you should absolutely have some sort of preparation for, not only due to their strengths but how common they are to encounter:
:blacephalon:
:lycanroc-dusk:
:thundurus-therian:
:landorus-therian:
:tapu-koko:
:kartana:
:corviknight:
:skarmory:
:slowbro:
:ferrothorn:
:zygarde-10%:
:tapu-lele:
:dracozolt:
:tyranitar:
:urshifu-rapid-strike:
:slowking-galar:
:aegislash:
:kingdra:
:pelipper:
the rest of rain teams

B-Rank
Strong Pokemon that have noticeable flaws or face competition, but still have a lot going for them and should demand respect.
:kyurem:
:toxtricity:
:lucario:
:entei:
:celesteela:
:terrakion:
:zapdos:
:tapu-fini:
:steelix:
:toxapex:
:blissey:
:tornadus-therian:
:thundurus:
:hydreigon:
:weavile:
:victini:
:scizor:
:azelf:
:bisharp:
:gyarados:
:crawdaunt:
:marowak-alola:
the rest of room teams
And against everything I stand for I'm adding :shuckle: to B because HO is everywhere

C-Rank
Pokemon that (may) have niches in the metagame but have obvious flaws that can hold them back when not supported properly. Also stuff that I've seen/used/heard but don't really know what to think about. Not necessarily good/bad just stuff I'd like to hear other opinions on.
:persian-alola:
:clefable:
:tapu-bulu:
:rillaboom:
:mimikyu:
:registeel:
:ninetales-alola:
:arctozolt:
:zeraora:
:mew:
:jirachi:
:heatran:
:hippowdon:
:volcarona:
:blaziken:
:alakazam:
:gengar:
:latios:
:cinderace: (this could go in B I just barely see it)
:aerodactyl:
:rotom-wash:
:shedinja:
:azumarill:

F-Rank
This is included solely for Barraskewda who is banned but still playable on ladder. I don't like him because of it and he's been sent to time-out.
:barraskewda:

:regieleki:

Ooh I just stumbled across this meta and had some ideas.

:ss/hitmontop:
Hitmontop (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Triple Axel
- Mach Punch
- Thief
- Earthquake

:ss/cinccino:
Cinccino @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- U-turn

Two Triple Axel Technician abusers. Basically click the big button and watch stuff die. Youd probably need to pair with magnezone for cinccino because corviknight (if its good here) and other steels wall it hard

:ss/tapu-fini:
Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 148 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt / Draining Kiss (taunt if haze is a thing here? otherwise dkiss here)
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Iron Defense

:ss/swoobat:
Swoobat @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Simple
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Substitute

Some attempts at brainlessly clicking Stored Power outside of Polteageist which im guessing already got tried. Sorry if these all of these are already mentioned but I figured id write my ideas anyway. Foul Play sounds pretty good on stuff like Slowtwins, Amoonguss, maybe Diggersby for cheese to flatten lando-t

Magnet Pull is banned, so I'd switch the items on those two, just pivot out if you think they're going to bring Corv or Skarm in on Cincinno, or even put a one-use item on Top to get extra mileage out of Thief.

Got a few sets to share that I think are worthwhile in some capacity, and a few notes.
First, the notes.
1) Is it theoretically possible to poison a steel type w/ toxic if toxic is no longer poison type? (I presume based on game mechanics that this is a no, but it would be very interesting if it were so...)
2) Barraskewda still remains unbanned as of right now, even though it's supposed to be banned. Needless to say, I can definitely see why it was banned. That thing HURTS.

Now without further ado, the sets~

Uxie
1639431514982.png
Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 56 SpA / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Thunderbolt

Uxie here makes for a pretty fair wall, even able to survive a direct hit from an incoming Barraskewda. Honestly it's not the best thing I've come up with, but it's a heck of a lot better than some of the other gimmicky sets I considered posting... Giga drain gives it STAB recovery that also puts pressure. Calm Mind gives it much needed boosts (particularly to SpA), while Rest covers it for emergencies and annoying statuses. Thunderbolt is there for one of the most dangerous threats to it, Corviknight. Without it, Corviknight can not only stall it out with ease, but Iron Defense sets can readily set up on it. All-in-all, it makes for a pretty reasonable wall.

Torkoal
1639432091192.png
Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Solar Beam

I'm really surprised no one has done this yet. Torkoal makes a fine rocks setter, a strong physical wall, and hits like a small truck. Body Press not only becomes STAB fire (on a Pokemon with amazing raw physical defense), but it gets the delightful sun boost to make it even more powerful. For an example of how hard it can hit, here's the calculator's prediction against a fully defensive Corviknight:
252+ Def Torkoal Body Press vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight in Sun: 320-378 (80 - 94.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Scary, no? It even hits common resists like Entei pretty hard:
252+ Def Torkoal Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Entei in Sun: 130-153 (35 - 41.2%) -- 66.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I'm honestly tempted to make a sun team revolving around this, at least after Barraskewda is officially banned. If one of you thinks you could do something with this, I'd like to see what you can come up with! I'll both laugh and cry if I end up being responsible for this going mainstream. Alternatively, you can also sacrifice Solar Beam's coverage for Rapid Spin, but there's so many better spin options out there.

Aerodactyl
1639434260326.png
Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
Jolly Nature
- Iron Tail
- Double-Edge
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake

People have given their sets for this, so I thought I'd give mine, too.
Choice Band seems to be the typical choice, but I prefer the Life Orb boost, especially when coupled with Hone Claws. Iron Tail in the rock slot even though it doesn't really matter. Just a funny alternative to Stone Edge with more PP and a solid chance to lower defense. Double-Edge finally takes advantage of Rock Head, as others have noted. Hone Claws for boosting, EQ for coverage. It's a shame that Megas aren't around still. Mega Aero would hit really hard in this meta...
I'm still on the lookout for more unique sets, but there's not too many choices that seem to benefit that greatly that haven't already been done/mentioned. In any case, I'll take to scouring through the lower tiers and see if there's any other poor useless Pokemon that might become royalty in this meta...

864-0.png
Cursola @ Power Herb
Ability: Perish Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Shadow Ball

Cursola is actually pretty ok! You can try and predict and trap the blobs or Tyranitar on the switch for a perish trap; TTar will just kill you though. Ghosts are running rampant and Cursola can be a fun breaker but doesn't appreciate all the counters to Bacephalon and Aegislash that are all but mandatory. Otherwise, Ghost Meteor Beam is pretty darn good. Calc below isn't really relevant but guarantees OHKO after rocks on Corviknight even with some SpDef investment.

+1 252+ SpA Cursola Meteor Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Corviknight: 360-424 (90.2 - 106.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Edit: The change to teleport in this gen renders perish trapping the blobs pretty much impossible unless they aren't running it for some reason. Try earth power and sub or cm. Rocks and strength sap are other options as well.

Last edited:

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
View attachment 392048
Cursola @ Power Herb
Ability: Perish Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Shadow Ball

Cursola is actually pretty ok! You can try and predict and trap the blobs or Tyranitar on the switch for a perish trap; TTar will just kill you though. Otherwise, Ghost Meteor Beam is pretty darn good. Calc below isn't really relevant but guarantees OHKO after rocks on Corviknight even with some SpDef investment.

+1 252+ SpA Cursola Meteor Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Corviknight: 360-424 (90.2 - 106.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
Not having anything to hit the blobs with make me scared to use this

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
They can't directly hurt Cursola either, but without Taunt they're free to Toxic and Teleport out before PS will KO them.
That's what my point was, even if they cant threaten you back, they would always be able to have a free turn to do whatever they want, which is not something you want to have happen.

That's what my point was, even if they cant threaten you back, they would always be able to have a free turn to do whatever they want, which is not something you want to have happen.
I kinda forgot about teleport, gah. Thanks for pointing that out, perish trapping kinda sucks now. Thankfully the blobs aren't all that common, dark types still take your lunch though. Just thought it was a fun little niche for a pretty bad pokemon. You could swap for earth power and cm or sub. It does also get rocks and the always coveted strength sap, it's too bad its defense is truly pitiful.

This was only possible in Gen 2, where Twineedle could poison a Steel type. Ground's immunity to Thunder Wave is a special case and doesn't apply to other status moves.
Yeah I was expecting that. Probably a good thing, too, or toxic stall would become a nightmare.

That said, I return with new discoveries!
Last night, I went through every tier and scoured all the Pokemon to find viable options (created an entire box full). I've also played a number of additional battles, and have some new notes, which is where I'll begin.

Notes:
  • Notable Threats: So far as others most likely have seen, there's a few rather notable threats to worry about in this meta. So far, the three biggest I've noted are Entei, Thundurus-T, and Tapu Koko. Entei and Koko are both very painful with choice bands, though Entei feels to be worse because of that Extreme Speed. which readily breaks down even Corviknight without breaking a sweat. Koko at the very least breaks itself down by way of severe recoil. Thundurus-T is kept balanced solely by having speed that's not unbeatable, and terrible bulk. In any case, I've found myself having to account for all three of these, building to account for each of them. Needless to say, I won't be surprised if E-Speed is banned, and if either one or both of the electric monsters get banned.
  • If E-Speed ends up banned, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Polteageist gets nailed, too, since priority is crucial to stopping it. However, it may also just make way for more creative options like Sucker Punch, Quick Attack, Bullet Punch, etc, of which a large number of Pokemon can viably employ.
  • Another threat of note is Aegislash. It's a lot more readily countered IMO though, so while it's strong, I don't consider it particularly overpowered. Head Smash gets it killed quickly, it still relies on Shadow Sneak priority, and there's options like Corviknight and Torkoal that can scare it away. Curious what others' opinions are on Aegislash.

Now onto sets again. (Brace yourselves, some of these are highly questionable.)
First and foremost, I've adjusted the Torkoal set I shared yesterday to remove Solar Beam for Iron Defense. I've found Solar Beam gets very little if any real use, and ultimately the sun-boosted Body Press hits a lot harder, even against resists. Iron Defense merely solidifies it as a defensive wall, and with a good predict can even make CB Entei flee in terror.
+2 252+ Def Torkoal Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Entei in Sun: 259-306 (69.8 - 82.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Even Entei's otherwise threatening Stone Edge loses its bite once Iron Defense has been used.
252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Stone Edge vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 94-112 (27.3 - 32.5%) -- 62.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

In any case, I'm very pleased to say that this has been an extremely reliable set so far. If only it had Slack Off...

Galarian Stunfisk
Galarian Stunfisk.png

Stunfisk-Galar @ Leftovers
Ability: Mimicry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Rest
- Curse

Bet you never expected to see the disappointing floppy fish in here, did you? Well here it is, and it's actually not too bad. It's a hard wall for Thunderus-T, and can at least partially wall Tapu Koko. The Mimicry ability is normally utterly worthless, since after all, it's a sacrifice of STAB. But here, it can actually get some potential use on terrain teams, always giving it a STAB option, and Sucker Punch that fluctuates between Steel and Dark. Curse allows it to set up, Rest for healing, and EQ gives powerful STAB.
Not nearly as thrilled with this one as I am with Torkoal, but eh.

Frosmoth
1639520813053.png
Frosmoth @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Scales
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Air Slash
- Quiver Dance
- Weather Ball

Here's another highly questionable set. However, I do believe it has potential at least as a special wall, and in this specific set as a part of weather teams. After all, who wouldn't want fire coverage on their giant ice moth? Giga Drain gives it ice-STAB healing. Air Slash allows it to annoy things to death. Replace Leftovers w/ Boots if you prefer a defensive pivot.

Tyrantrum
1639521288390.png
Tyrantrum @ Bright Powder
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

We do a little trolling with Bright Powder... (Choose something better like Life Orb if you're not insane like I am.)
Tyrantrum actually benefits greatly from this, given Strong Jaw was utterly wasted on it before. Psychic Fangs + Crunch give it very powerful and reliable STAB, while EQ covers Steel types that would otherwise trouble it. It's basically a bulkier Aerodactyl. Calcs give it a 2HKO (w/ rocks) on Corviknight at +1, and an OHKO at +2. Gives about a 25% chance at +2 to OHKO Slowbro.

Cofagrigus
1639521868035.png
Cofagrigus @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Rest
- Trick Room

While the previous sets are a bit more gimmicky/average, this is one that really shines. Yet another I'm surprised hasn't gotten serious usage. Cofagrigus has very respectable defensive stats, and an obnoxious ability in Mummy. Resto Chesto allows it pretty safe setup w/ Iron Defense, and barring any powerful special wallbreakers or normal types, it hits plenty hard. Trick Room can be used for itself or as a part of a full Trick Room team to supplement. (Should pair very well with Stakataka)

I've still got some more, but I prefer posting these in small chunks. I'll also probably think of more by then, hopefully less insane than some of what I've come up with already.​

UT liked my team and persuaded me to post it, so here it is:

:Slowbro:
Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Slack Off
- Toxic
- Scald

General physical stopper, easy to use and very efficient against random -ates and strong physical attackers. Water type foul play has near perfect coverage against physical attackers in the meta and psychic coverage is useless anyways, so I put it in the first slot.

:Buzzwole:
Buzzwole @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Beast Boost
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Leech Life
- Roost
- Toxic

Even bulkier physical stopper that tanks monsters like terrakion and even tapu koko (with electric brave bird). Rocky Helmet punishes u-turns, preventing them from chipping you down.

:Avalugg:
Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Defense
- Recover

#1 setup sweeper against heavily physical teams. Ice-type body press hits like a truck. Also very bulky so it laughs against Landorus-t and excadrill who tries to set up rocks on him (and u can recover back to safe range if they explode and find another time to spin if u want), but tbh this team doesnt desperately need hazard control unless the boots are being knocked off.

:Corviknight:
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Trip
- Bulk Up
- Roost
- Agility

Setup sweeper in case you find the opportunity or u r about to get dismantled. Really strong and quite a surprise for careless players, also has the niche to beat Hatterne which stall teams are particularly afraid of.

:Blissey:
Blissey (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

The bulb.

:Toxapex:
Toxapex @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Haze
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Toxic

Since the Blissey can't beat sub blacephalon, Toxapex is a nice addition to the team. HDB is to ensure trick users doesnt throw black sludge to another defender in the team, knock off is generally good, and since the team has 0 unawares its always nice to keep set-up sweepers in check w/ haze. Toxic is used over scald because the physical walls are too reliable especially with double hdbs, so burn isn't needed. Helping to take pressure off blissey vs rain is also nice.

Thats pretty much it, have fun :)

Importable: https://pokepast.es/9765affde70cf659

Side note: Does anyone know how to post the big pokemon pics? I only know how to do the small ones

UT

Roaring 20s, tossing pennies in the pool
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Appeals + C&C Lead
Your Revelationmons Council is hard at work, and we've done a thing.

Blacephalon is banned from Revelationmons!
Quick Ban...UTThinkBylethKrisDiscordualTotal
BlacephalonBANBANBANBANDNB4-1 BAN
Blacephalon in standard play wishes it had two things: a move to reliably hit Blissey, and stronger Ghost STAB. Thanks to Fire type Psyshock and Ghost type Fire Blast/Flamethrower, it has both. With the large jump in power and how spammable Ghost attacks are, especially if Blissey is not a reliable switch-in either, Blace is able to dismantle most defensive cores by itself. It can run a few different items that radicially change how it plays and how to counter it; Heavy-Duty Boots allows it to switch in multiple times per match and slowly wear down its checks, while Choice Specs allows it to just blow through most would-be counters, and Choice Scarf makes it a premier revenge-killer. Beast Boost also makes it hard to play around, as a sacrifice just increases its power. All together, Blace's power increase and ability to bypass its checks depending on set make it too much for the Revelationmons metagame.

Can anything take its place as premier special attacker? Are there any other threats that need to be dealt with? What gets better with Blace gone? Discuss below!

Tagging Kris to accept my pull request.

Ayo, Blace banned! Slower scarfmons rejoice! That takes a lot of pressure off.
I can already see a few Pokemon like Polteageist and Malamar benefitting from this, among others.

And now, for a few new sets that are far less crazy than my previous ones (minus Torkoal. Damn that thing is enjoyable.)

Malamar
1639684100626.png
Malamar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond
- Switcheroo

I know it's been posted once before, but it's a fairly different set, so here's my own. Malamar becomes much scarier when it gets dual STAB that it can abuse. Superpower becomes Dark STAB, Knock Off allows it to retain Psychic STAB for predictions against would-be walls. Destiny Bond allows it to get a free kill against threats like Buzzwole, and Switcheroo allows it to lock down setup and recovery pests. All-in-all, a very potent threat.

On additional note, it has the added benefit of discouraging Sticky Web and Intimidate.

Pyukumuku
1639684473495.png
Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Block
- Soak
- Toxic
- Recover

Pyukumuku doesn't gain much of anything in here, but water-type Block prevents ghost types from messing with it too badly. Still useful for dealing with setups or bulky threats.

Orbeetle
1639684995070.png
Orbeetle @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Bold Nature
- Infestation
- Body Press
- Sticky Web
- Recover

Orbeetle is one of the most underrated Pokemon in my opinion, even in the standard meta. It's the bulkiest Sticky Web user, and has a variety of uses from screen setter, to web setter, to bulky Calm Mind setup. I personally consider it most effective as a web setter. Frisk gives you a free item reveal on switch-in to better predict your opponent's strategy/set. Infestation gives you the ability to lock an opponent in place and chip away, and Body Press gains the benefit of STAB. Unfortunately still a terrible offensive type, but hits well against most anything that's not Steel or Dark.

Barbaracle
1639685680231.png
Barbaracle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Tough Claws
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Cross Chop
- Shell Smash
- Poison Jab

Seriously, no one has posted a set for this yet? This benefits immensely from the meta, gaining more powerful water STAB that benefits from Tough Claws, and finally Rock STAB that benefits. Otherwise, pretty typical Barbaracle set; poison jab covers grass and fairy threats.​

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff

Pyukumuku
View attachment 392370
Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Calm Nature
- Block
- Soak
- Toxic
- Recover

Pyukumuku doesn't gain much of anything in here, but water-type Block prevents ghost types from messing with it too badly. Still useful for dealing with setups or bulky threats.​
Are you sure thats how block works? Because Ghost types can escape from Fire Spin and other trapping moves/abilities since gen 6.

Are you sure thats how block works? Because Ghost types can escape from Fire Spin and other trapping moves/abilities since gen 6.
Not entirely sure, to be quite honest. But I do know from experience that Block fails against Ghost types because of typing, ordinarily. Theoretically speaking at least, if Block were used against a switch-in and then followed up by Soak, Block would then take effect.

Clas

My death was... greatly exaggerated
is a Tiering Contributor
Pyukumuku doesn't gain much of anything in here, but water-type Block prevents ghost types from messing with it too badly. Still useful for dealing with setups or bulky threats.
All ghost types are immune to trapping (both self, e.g. via No Retreat, or from others, e.g. Block). This wouldn't change any interactions whatsoever, unfortunately for your Pyukumuku.

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
any blace banners in chat???

Winners:
Balance has so much to gain. Before you had to either dedicate a slot to a Blace answer or have a really strong core. Sacking to regain momentum or force it out wasn't really an option thanks to Beast Boost, so you had to stay aggressive versus it, at which point you might as well just run Offense.

:blissey::slowbro::slowking-galar::corviknight::skarmory::ferrothorn::(like every slow fat mon lmao):
Without the clown running around town many of our premier defensive options are a whole lot better: not one of these were a safe switch-in and even Blissey was one wrong predict away from being wasted.
:steelix: One less mon that is able to force it out even when healthy. Huge boon for Body Press sweeper sets.
:melmetal: Same as above, tank Melm is a whole lot better now.
:thundurus-therian: Less competition, less stuff outpacing it, and the potential increase in slower teams that ThundT can abuse.
:tapu-lele: Next in line for Special Attacker that can hit Blissey hard with STAB, and less fast Ghosts being around to scare it is always welcome. LeleCephalon EForce is like the only thing it misses.
:gengar: There wasn't a lot of reason to run this before as it wasn't a great Scarfer even though it was faster, and shared many of the same weaknesses without the benefits to make it worthwhile. SubDisable Nasty Plot was the only real thing it had going for it that Blace couldn't do, but Blace was still useable with Sub so even then it felt outclassed. Now if you want a fast hard-hitting Ghost attacker, Gengar is practically the only option. Just like old times really.

Losers:
:kartana: That 109 Speed Tier made Kart a great way to scare out Blace. Its not worthless now but Kart still struggles with its movepool and is outpaced by many other fast attackers that are looking to fill the void.
:lycanroc-dusk: One of the best Revenge Killers to Blace thanks to Accelerock, which could force it out and make savvy/insane players go for SD/Rocks as a means to force progress. Being faster also helped in letting Lycanroc beat Blace if you knew it wasn't Scarf. Its lost a valuable offensive niche, and with Steels like Ferrothorn and Steelix looking a whole lot stronger, Lycanroc has a lot more to worry about and less incentive for adding to your team.
:urshifu-rapid-strike: Similar story to Lycanroc, was a nice offensive check to Blace thanks to Aqua Jet, and the defensive mons that benefit from it being axed, like Bro and Ferro, aren't terribly good for it.
:tyranitar: One of the best traits this had was it being a mon that could stop Blace in its tracks, and then its wide array of strong attacks and status moves meant it had plenty of ways to make progress with that momentum. Without such a common threat running around I fear TTar lacks as solid a defensive niche and will struggle to come in on the Special Attackers filling the void.

Hydreigon:
:hydreigon: Blace was the biggest reason to run this but I think its removal opens Hydreigon to better utilize its various team applications, as its typing + Levitate helps it carve out a unique defensive toolkit, and the naturally high SpA and respectable Speed for a more utility-focused mon is valuable in shutting down fatter teams. Without having to be kept super healthy and invest so heavily into bulk so it can reliably hold off Blace, I can see this actually benefiting from the ban.

All ghost types are immune to trapping (both self, e.g. via No Retreat, or from others, e.g. Block). This wouldn't change any interactions whatsoever, unfortunately for your Pyukumuku.
So in essence, my theory could work, but not Block straight up on its own. Ah well. A minor gain at best then, I suppose. Still reasonably useful in the meta at least, I've found.

Not entirely sure, to be quite honest. But I do know from experience that Block fails against Ghost types because of typing, ordinarily. Theoretically speaking at least, if Block were used against a switch-in and then followed up by Soak, Block would then take effect.
A good thing to keep in mind is that the only status move that obeys traditional type effectiveness is Thunder Wave (which is why it doesn't normally work on Ground-type Pokemon). In every other case, if a status move always fails against a certain type, it's because that type has an inherent immunity to the move's effect. Poisons and Steels are immune to the poison status, Grasses are immune to being seeded, Ghosts are immune to being trapped, etc.

Clas

My death was... greatly exaggerated
is a Tiering Contributor
Been experimenting with a team since day 1 of ladder and peaked #5 on numerous occasions on the first couple days with this team (no screenshots, sorry). However, due to the (extremely) recent Blacephalon ban, there is no longer a need to run Fini, and Luxray also does not have a safe way to set up and deal damage. Hence, with some help from UT, a new rendition of the team was made. Currently #23 on ladder as of writing, however could push back up to even top 10 if I tried hard enough.
image_2021-12-16_210031.png
image_2021-12-16_210603.png

64% gxe lmao

:luxray: :tapu-lele: :kyurem: :terrakion: :tapu-koko: :skarmory:

:ss/luxray:
Ah, Luxray. The mon banished to the depths of ZU thanks to its lack of good STAB. Electric type Facade makes this no more, and with a terrifying 210bp move, Luxray can threaten OHKOs on almost every mon that doesnt resist Electric at +1. Superpower is great coverage for Luxray, as it hits walls such as Ferrothorn that would usually be a major issue for it, either to continue its sweep or allow for other mons to sweep as a result. Ice Fang hits ground types quite hard, even OHKOing offensive variants of Lando-T at +0 (guts boost + intimidate drop). Finally, Agility allows it to outspeed up to scarfed 95s, becoming nearly uncheckable in Psychic Terrain late game.

:ss/tapu-lele:
Lele is Lele. Moonblast for the most powerful Psychic coverage, while Tbolt allows for parahax for teammates to abuse. Psyshock to hit special walls hard, such as Blissey, though you won't deal over 50% without Choice Specs - an undesirable item in this team. Focus Blast hits Steel-types hard, notably threatening 2HKOs on Ferrothorn. Not much to say about this, however, it's really just your standard OU Choice Scarf Lele.

:ss/kyurem:
Oh boy, this thing. NMI is a menace. Despite not having a +1 boost with Ice Draco Meteor when it switches in, +0.4 more than makes up for it. Draco Meteor almost guarantees an OHKO on every non-resist, and Freeze-Dry hits Slowbro and the odd Fini hard enough to threaten an OHKO after rocks on Slowbro and guarantee a 2HKO on Fini. Earth Power hits Fire and Steel types, which would otherwise wall Kyurem.

:ss/terrakion:
During early building of the original BO team, I actually used this exact set - albeit with limited success, thanks to Blaceph and Polteageist. Rock-type Megahorn has 5/6 accurary and 180bp after STAB factoring, which is always nice as a Rock-type move. Fighting-type Quick Attack is nice for OHKOing Kartana at +2, though do be aware of Psychic Terrain preventing this. Close Combat is always reliable STAB, hitting pretty much every Steel-type hard (be wary of Aegislash though, this gets walled by it kinda hard). Swords Dance is always good, allowing for Terrakion to check so many more threats.

:ss/tapu-koko:
The centrepiece of the team. Light Screen and Reflect are obvious choices, Fairy-type Brave Bird allows for Koko to not be setup fodder and U-turn for pivoting. The choice of Brave Bird over Taunt may be a confusing choice, but almost every time Taunt has been of use, Brave Bird also has.
While Trick Room and other HOs can be possible issues and even losing matchups, Koko's overwhelming power along with its support value makes it more useful in my opinion.
i disconnected before i got to upload the replay against trick room so a downloadable version will have to suffice. link here.

:ss/skarmory:
Skarmory serves a unique niche on this team, being able to be a great backup wall and hazard setter, but also as a setup sweeper on its own with Iron Defense Body Press. Rocky Helmet allows for Skarmory to dissuade other physical attackers from harming it, allowing it to set up. Sturdy allows for Skarmory to OHKO Thundurus-Therian at +2 with Body Press, either on the switch or via Sturdy protection, and survive Marowak-A's Flare Blitz and OHKO back at +2. If you so get the chance to get to +6, there is rarely anything your opponent can do as a result.

Weaknesses:
- Aegislash. If you made a team where this isn't present, honestly congrats.
- Trick Room. Pretty much perfect play is required to win.
- Fairy Types. Koko in particular can be problematic if you dont eliminate it quickly.
- Sand

As a side note if anyone knows who theorymon'd this Luxray set please message me either here on Smogon or on Discord @ Clastia#6682, thanks! You took your post down or edited it some time between the release of Revelationmons and now.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)