National Dex RETURN TO EQUILIBRIUM (Peak #1, 1800+ ELO)

I. INTRODUCTION
Hello Smogon, it has been a while. The new [GEN 8] National Dex tier inspired me to revisit ‘Sandstorm Equilibrium’, to witness how it fairs against the tier’s huge versatility, the new Pokemon and strategies of GEN 8. I started laddering just prior to the Genesect suspect test, using Version 2.5 of the original team. During the suspect I was able to achieve REQS with a very good w/l record for a team last modified in 2017. With this in the history books, I put the team to the test on the ladder. After numerous games, my friends and I came up with a few tweaks that although minor can help the team perform even more optimally than Version 2.5 in the current [GEN 8] National Dex meta. Unlike a typical RMT, this post is more of an update with my thoughts after playing/tweaking this team in the new tier. A more thorough analysis of the team and how it works can be found on my original RMT found here:

March 12, 2020

II. TEAM RE-CAP/ANALYSIS
  • Shinta

Shinta (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Shinta maintains its original spread in this iteration of the team. Max Attack Adamant allows Scizor for some nice OHKO’s against Pokemon usually on the offensive oriented teams. Curse over Swords Dance with a defensive spread may be preferred in a Choice Band Zygarde heavy meta-game. It will also better the match-up against Kartana variants.

• One4all

One4All (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 48 SpD / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

This time around I used Smogon’s recommended Choice Band Tyranitar set. The extra speed allows for out-speeding Skarmory, who attempt to speed creep, while also being faster than Adamant Mega-Mawile. The combined bulk of HP and SpD allow One4all to always take a +1 Bug Buzz from Volcarona which in this meta-game is more often than not equipped with Heavy-Duty Boots rather than a Z-crystal.

• Naegi

Naegi (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Naegi is back and quite faster than before. 80 Spe EV’s allow it to out-speed Adamant Dracovish as well as speed creep most defensive Landorus-T and Gliscor. This is essential for Roost stalling Dracovish or hitting it with Discharge for massive damage which both have a chance to proc paralysis status. The rest of the EV’s are placed in bulk to better take Kartana, Mega-Loppuny, Mega-Medicham, Mega-Swampert and other Physically oriented attackers.

• Alphonse

Alphonse (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 88 HP / 164 SpA / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Heatran is the main SpD tank of the team. It is, however, also able to dish out an insane amount of damage. It particularly shines against stall/bulky teams with the combination of Magma Storm + Taunt crippling many defensive cores and laying out a path to victory for ‘Sandstorm Equilibrium’s’ sweepers. The spread has remained the same but there may be room for further optimization on it for the [GEN 8] National Dex.

• Nami

Nami (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast

Respecting Dracovish, Nami takes a more defensive spread whilst maintaining enough speed to outrun Adamant non-scarf variants. Nami is the main counter to Mega Blastoise, a very prominent Pokemon in the current meta-game due to its access to Shell Smash. Highlight here is that Misty Terrain can now be Defogged away with the Generation 8 mechanics. This is a double-edged sword and must be handled carefully. Removing the terrains can mess up an opposing players strategy. If Psychic Terrain is removed, 'Sandstorm Equilibrium' has immediate access to its much needed priority moves. Removing Grassy Terrain can limit the healing of the opposing Pokemon, keeping them in range for KO's. Electric Terrain cancellation, although does not happen as often can cause problems to Hawlucha teams. On the other side, removing Tapu Fini's own Misty Terrain with Defog leaves it vulnerable to being inflicted by status. Thus, on occasion, one could opt to Taunt before using Defog. This GEN 8 mechanic, however, gives the team better control on the length of time dragon moves will be hindered. It is especially important not only regarding the enemy Pokemon, but for Lagann himself.

• Lagann

Lagann (Zygarde) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

Overall, I find the Dragonium Z Dragon Dance set to still be superior for this team setup at this state of the meta-game. One can think of utilizing Glare as the team generally lacks in the Speed department, although Naegi’s threat of Static seems more than enough for the time being.

III. [GEN 8] NATIONAL DEX THREAT LIST

The above showed Pokemon are some of the most common threats to ‘Sandstorm Equilibrium’ that I encountered during my ladder run.

Kartana: choice banded and Z move variants can be overwhelming. Zapdos is a solid check to the banded variant when healthy but cannot take a boosted Normalium-Z.
Dracovish: Tapu Fini is really the team’s only reliable answer. Usually I would opt to never allow this Pokemon to attack without threating it in some way. One option is to either chip it with priority moves which also disables Fishious Rend’s ability or utilize Zapdos and ‘fish’ for a Static ability proc. Another strategy is to try and make the proper double switches in order to get your set-up sweepers (Scizor and Zygarde) with boosts early.
Melmetal: Not as threatening as the above mentioned Pokemon but a well predicting choice band set can inflict big dents to the team. It is very scary under Trick Room.
Greninja: This Pokemon’s huge versatility with access to Protein and Battle Bond make it very difficult to play around initially. Tapu Fini must be kept healthy to check Choice Specs sets. The Protein variants require good predictions while scouting out move-sets.
Magnezone: Due to the fact that Shinta does not run U-Turn, offensive presence of ‘Sandstorm Equilibrium’ through Mega-Scizor is for the most part shut down when this Pokemon is seen on team preview. Strategies can be to either Pursuit trapping it with Tyranitar, wearing it down with Stealth Rock or predicting a Thunderbolt/Volt Switch to get Zygarde in safely and thus start applying offensive pressure. If Magnezone is low enough or has fainted, Shinta can come back into the forefront of battle. Many times, although risky, I’ve found myself sending out Shinta early as bait for Magnezone.

IV. [GEN 8] NATIONAL DEX MATCH-UP REPLAYS
Below are some replays that showcase the team vs common team archetypes/strategies found on the ladder. I've also taken a few replays from Amir's climb with the team who also got to the top ranks of the ladder on his alt 'amir's ascension'.

V. IMPORTABLE FOR POKEMON SHOWDOWN
Lagann (Zygarde) @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast

Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

VI. CONCLUSION
I thoroughly enjoyed playing [GEN 8] National Dex, not only because of the amount of variety the tier has but because it also gave me the opportunity to revisit this team and put it to the test. The team’s accomplishment in the tier gives me great fulfillment. Version 2.5 of the original team was optimized. However, one could test Versions 1 or 2 to see how well those do and what changes they could undertake to work at their best in the [GEN 8] NATIONAL DEX.

With a potential Zygarde ban or suspect as was done for the [GEN 7] OU meta-game, I would suggest Garchomp with Rockium Z as a replacement to Lagann. The team performs well with Garchomp as well although it really is not the true form of ‘Sandstorm Equilibrium’. Extreme Speed is essential for covering up the team’s low Speed average. If Garchomp were to get access to Dragon Dance things could get interesting.

That being said, as of the moment of my ladder peak on the [GEN 8] National Dex ladder, I do want to highlight that only two Zygarde teams are in the top 20 of the ladder (including mine) with Blastoise teams being much more common. Excluding these, stall teams make up the rest of the top 20 with an exception of a rain team and one or two unorthodox HO teams.

It was fun piercing the heavens once more with ‘Sandstorm Equilibrium’. Peaking the ladder with one of the best GXE's in its current ladder proved that this team can be one of the most dominant Balance teams when piloted correctly. 'Sandstorm Equilibrium' has undoubtedly contributed in the meta-game development. A hint of this can be seen in Tapu Fini's viability ranking on the ladder (moving up from A -> A+, VR Slate 2 / March 11th 2020). I hope you have enjoyed this journey with me, the read and the team as much as I have.

Keep moving forward and reaching new horizons.
Until we meet again Smogon friends,
Sayonara

VII. ACKNOWLEDGMENTS/SHOUT-OUTS
I would like to give my appreciation to Amir and Brotege who spammed my team on the [GEN 8] NATIONAL DEX ladder and in doing so motivated me to push forward.

I thank my fellow discord buddies Cam, kinda bitchy, Kjay500%, Ske who have just always been good company.

Essence, I hope you are doing well old friend.

Of course, I cannot exclude Astamatitos, Laz, Mysterious M, talah, Ace-11 and the rest of the Team Greece family. The team's community propelled me to stick around (even if from the back-lines) for much longer than I had anticipated.

Lastly, I dedicate this [GEN 8] National Dex ladder journey to my brother Alex who has been with me through thick and thin.

Last edited:
Great team a very big threat to this team is Nidoking because has it stands nothing outspeeds it and will just wreck this team
Hello Scorpiopt. I thank you for your input as it gives me a chance to expand further. Indeed, Nidoking can pose a big threat and is such for most Balance teams (more so the Life Orb variant than the Choice variants). Nidoking is however, more threatening on paper than in reality. He is not mentioned on the threat list as I feel he is not so common in the National Dex meta-game in contrast to other threats. In the case Nidoking is on the opposite team there are ways to deal with it indirectly or unconventionally which I will address.

Typically, from my experience, the Nidoking’s trainer will lead with Nidoking to immediately put pressure with its very strong attacks or to set Stealth Rock. Nidoking as a lead is common and I keep this in mind when facing them. In these scenarios I usually find myself leading with One4all and depending on the opposing player’s team either trade with damage (Ice punch which 1HKO's or Crunch which has a chance to 1HKO Nidoking) or if I deem Nidoking to be the biggest threat on the opposing team, Pursuit to ensure damage on it. Nidoking has an immense type coverage move-pool but really lacks in the defensive department. I use this to my advantage by either chipping it down with optimal trades (recognizing which Pokemon on my team isn’t as important in a specific match-up) or straight up chipping/revenge killing it with ‘Sandstorm Equilibrium’s’ very strong priority moves. Finally, if Shinta or Lagann have set-up Nidoking’s threat level drops drastically. So, in the case Nidoking is not a lead, getting a set-up boost with Shinta or Lagann prior to it coming on the field is a top priority in my strategy.

Shinta -

252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 150-177 (49.5 - 58.4%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 297-351 (98 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

Lagann -

252+ Atk Zygarde Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 100-118 (33 - 38.9%) -- 99.8% chance to 3HKO

Ah this was one of my favourite teams last gen not only to use but in it's philosophy. I do prefer the previous bulky curse variant over Adamant sword dance and wonder if there were any changes you would make to the team if one opted for that spread instead.

Hey! It's Lycon with an update regarding 'Sandstorm Equilibrium' post Zygarde ban on the [GEN 8] National Dex tier. As mentioned on my initial post, I suggested Garchomp with Rockium Z as a replacement to Zygarde. Having some time on my hands I put 'Garchomp Equilibrium' to the test for the 'National Dex Suspect Test 5: Frogman' and the [GEN 8] National Dex ladder. While I needed some time to readjust to the meta and brush off rust, the results eventually did start coming.

August 30, 2020

August 21, 2020

Due to the team's success with him, I give my Garchomp the nickname MIR since he has a deserving spot on the bench of 'Sandstorm Equilibrium'. The name MIR is inspired form Android 17's shirt in the Dragon Ball Super manga which most likely stands for Monster Island Ranger, a fitting name for our blue dragon! If not MIR, then F-16 is another nickname I'd give him as it's the nickname of the very first Garchomp I had in DPP.

MIR (Garchomp) (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw -> [DLC2 Update - Scale Shot]

Thank you all for your time. It has once again been a pleasure. Until next time,
Sayonara

Last edited:
I have a few questions about this team. I like it and this RMT is really cool. Here are the questions:

How does this team deal with SD Garchomp/Landorus?

What do those Heatran evs do?

Is this team built around a specific Pokémon or core?

How does it handle Manaphy rain? I'm pretty sure one would need Tapu Fini to check it after sacking something to the Z-Move in which case Tapu Fini just loses too much health to beat Ash Greninja. If not Tapu Fini, than Zapdos would be used to check it but I don't think Discharge can actually kill from full. Not to mention that if Manaphy happens to be running enough speed, than Zapdos is screwed and that Manaphy can use pretty much half the team as setup fodder.

Last edited:
I have a few questions about this team. I like it and this RMT is really cool. Here are the questions:

How does this team deal with SD Garchomp/Landorus?

What do those Heatran evs do?

Is this team built around a specific Pokémon or core?

How does it handle Manaphy rain? I'm pretty sure one would need Tapu Fini to check it after sacking something to the Z-Move in which case Tapu Fini just loses too much health to beat Ash Greninja. If not Tapu Fini, than Zapdos would be used to check it but I don't think Discharge can actually kill from full. Not to mention that if Manaphy happens to be running enough speed, than Zapdos is screwed and that Manaphy can use pretty much half the team as setup fodder.
Hello Firefern and Happy New Year. I'm glad you enjoyed the team and read!
Regarding your questions:
If you want to read a more thorough analysis on how the team was built/ the cores it revolves around and its philosophy have a read https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/lycons-sandstorm-equilibrium-peak-1-2000-elo.3618417/ Chapter II. Team building History/Analysis Tab.

In that same thread you can check out the different Heatran EV spreads and sets I have used through out the gen7 OU meta-game. They can be found in Chapter III. In-Depth Analysis (Alchemist/Edward/Alphonse). The amazing thing about Heatran is its flexibility in being able to adapt. Hence I've always made small tweaks to it to optimize the team in each meta. From what I recall the specific EV spreads you mention are to out-speed Adamant Mega-Mawile while also living a +2 Sucker Punch from it. Furthermore, Heatran retains its Tank role for the team while also being able to dish out considerable amount of damage. This is particularly useful against the stall match up (Mega-Sableye). In a Spectrier heavy meta for example, going full SpD Heatran may perhaps be more optimal.

Against Manaphy rain one must plan ahead to make sure Manaphy has the least amount of opportunities to come in freely. ''This match-up is similar with the Hyper Offense one. Often a win condition is an early Scizor set-up''. ''Tyranitar is available to battle for weather control and disrupt the archetype’s strategy''. Some countermeasures to Manaphy are to damage it heavily on a predicted Tail Glow and then revenge kill it in the form of Bullet Punch or Extreme Speed. Most members of 'Sandstorm Equilibrium' can survive a non boosted hit from it and trade damage back. With Garchomp over Zygarde, this match-up becomes somewhat better in my opinion as Garchomp straight up outspeeds it and thus can easily revenge kill it. A strategy here could be to get a set up with Garchomp prior to Manaphy. I have yet to test the waters with Scale Shot MIR on this team but it is definitely also an option. You also have to be cautious on how you play Heatran so it is not used as set-up fodder. Finally, in a very Manaphy/Rain heavy meta-game, bringing Version 1-Alchemist Heatran which packs Z-Grass may be a viable option too.

Garchomp and Landorus-T are not nearly as threatening as Manaphy or Rain in general. These Pokemon suffer the 4 moves limit syndrome. Here we will assume the offensive most threatening variants. Depending on how well you predict their set can decide the outcome of the match and this is another reason why the ability to decipher the opposing team on team preview is crucial. From there, you pick out the opponents key threats and trade in the most beneficial to you manner during the battle.
Landorus-T Z-Fly and Garchomp Z-Dragon variants are for the most parts tanked and traded by Zapdos and Tapu Fini respectively.
Z-Rock variants are the most threatening. If I have assumed that the specific Pokemon is a Z variant I will play in a way to make sure I do not let it freely set up. Sometimes it is a good option to sack something predicting the Swords Dance. If I fail the prediction I can then bring in a Pokemon that can deal good damage to it prior to its set up and thus make it susceptible to be revenge killed via priority moves. I would say this comes with experience as does the ability to acknowledge what Pokemon on your team is worth sacking or risking a hard read/prediction with. Do not forget that you can always approach these battles in a 'fight fire with fire' mindset. One can opt to set-up with the likes of Zygarde/Garchomp or Scizor before the opponent has a chance to. The best defense is sometimes the best offense.

Every team has good and bad match-ups and this team is no exception. What has made this team successful is that if one is experienced enough with the MU's, he can bring countermeasures to his game, alternate his plays in a way which make it possible to overcome some of those match-ups. This, in fact, is what I believe to be the most beautiful thing about the Balance Archetype. It is rarely a straightforward path to victory, every match-up is a different puzzle to solve. Finally, EV spreads and even moves can be optimized to adapt to a specific state of a meta-game.

Last edited:
Hey, it's Lycon again on the [GEN 8] National Dex ladder! Being off the tier for a while peaked my interest to see its development and current meta-game state. With a mixture of bans/unbans happening throughout the year I was optimistic for something fresh. The alt name I went with this time is reference to my time in the army. 318 is the draft number which I was drafted in and A MAK are the initials of my main military base: "The A' Amphibian Commandos Squadron', located in Rhodes, Greece.

July 22, 2021
lycon 318 peak.png

To sum up my experience of this run, I find some things, on high ladder specifically, relatively unchanged to the past. There are a few infamous teams that run on the [GEN 8] National Dex ladder for a while now and have become sort of 'staples' in the tier regardless of the metashifts. I find some interesting takes of new Sun offense and few unique approaches on Trick Room teams. Stall is still very viable but does not appear to be used to the degree of last year. Some interesting stalls incorporate Tapu Bulu, Slowking-Galar or the SpD Rest Garchomp. Finally, Bulky Offense teams with Rillaboom and/or Magnezone were extremely common throughout the ladder climb.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381852969-ihh2n4wem7y4l5zpbzsngyv3kdhl7m0pw -vs Player 4691
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381779080-k48wao8j0fosonk139nugqnbci1f70fpw - vs peepoodgee
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381750004-v9nnuvqdv7x7ty63bnuz2nb2jdd5u1npw - vs smokeythabear96
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381745517-bhzu3xnvu1m5g8ab5yyr0jgl2tjttqfpw - vs Jiyns
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381516555-ukz3cpsvyr5k7130xv50xremhnrhvqopw - vs Lsufran
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381487378-1jfes686z3nd4dx6j6xdohmde2ws2j2pw - vs Weaselfie
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381480767-a2wcv9ru8t6uhrszzfmqcjot5a9ovjgpw -vs pefforza
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381460885-erqbmcrhxi75rz0qixldi3vtp9608tzpw - vs AlphaAero
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381448397-8p4m86ts73ka793s812itjusnmlj06tpw - vs OuWantSomeOfMe
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381447293-b27wgsutgykza0fck3r46sxkspoxhtupw - vs uhhhwhatamidoing
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381431433-omh4yb7csxc7u1y8joofaw5wnaajjswpw - vs PlantMatterMan
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381426135-08mynit1i71qagqfcrfqx4msvr0cg7lpw - vs Hiper speed
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381381310-ookkip4e7bwh9v2vdkkgymhn9c0369opw - vs 1♪Coffy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381378372-kz9vkyh5h3azrdnsoll1hyx41kmsx80pw - vs Scraftron
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381275219-bokxdry3yq0rgu40sm8ovir1p8bu45xpw - vs Green Gramo
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381267595-bkn7wdpfjyioiwkzp3k39ru97tcsxevpw - vs Player 4691
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381265419-9g8s96jrmsqh9ykng969mlsxqb3geynpw - vs Player 4691
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381253922-m5zw17xbpmpsq1uqtsx6lor3kyqj4mmpw - vs flowre
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381251523-firtj1iczntdvu8mg7htozrhpfvqip5pw - vs Felixx2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381232833-rgq84j44pkuk37ajbml2n5a6y9ae202pw - vs R8
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1381212321-davb0w8p8gx6f42w3cd5kv9v2n50kgopw - vs why.what H O W
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1380991790-riehlcdhp34scmj1n9ep5ehj2llcjs4pw - vs guglielminpietro
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1380892720-vssb4rqxilqgyal310r52sk0utf4q10pw - vs thepoopidoopi
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nationaldex-1380865684-6l1f8m91t047wrf81w00ha74tabqsbspw - vs Rampa1ge

MIR (Garchomp) (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot

Modest Nature
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 52 SpD / 192 Spe
Calm Nature
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog
- Moonblast

Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

The biggest change in the paste was providing Zapdos 80 Spe EV's as opposed to the former 72. I believe this change to be so significant, that I editted the spread on my initial post as well. There, I explain why this slight difference can be game changing especially with the rise in popularity of Gliscor for the current meta-game. Perhaps the most optimal spread against Gliscor meta would be EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 Spe with Timid Nature.

Next, I want to touch upon the subject of Leftovers vs Heavy Duty Boots on Zapdos. using HDB instead has many benefits, one being relieving Tapu Fini of the immediate pressure to Defog. More often than not during a battle I found myself contemplating on how much of a better situation I would be in if Naegi ran HDB instead. Perhaps I am just used to Leftovers that it is hard to let them go. I justify my choice by saying that Leftovers boosts Naegi's longevity especially under Sand Stream conditions. I am not sure that this is enough of a reason to keep them or if HDB are in fact the better option for this specific team in this tier.
Finally, Tapu Fini's EV spread may perhaps not be optimal for the current meta-game. This is due to Magearna recently being banned from the tier and thus there being no requirement in out-speeding it in order to Taunt it or chip it down via Natures Madness. However, I do still appreciate Nami being faster than Modest Heatran. Any sort of chip on Heatran is crucial as countless times its the set up for a big late game sweep with Mega-Scizor.

A good friend of mine, Jaymz runs this team quite often and has incorporated his own take on a current Tapu Fini spread:
Tapu fini EV's: 252 hp, 132 defense, 56 sp def, 68 speed
This gives a 50% chance to live Mega Garchomp +2 Atk Earthquake. It has a 50% chance to live a +2 Atk Rockium-Z and guaranteed to live a +2 Earthquke after Stealth Rocks from Garchomp. Finally, it lives a Choice Specs thunderbolt from Tapu Koko after Stealth Rocks (without electric terrain). All the above benefits while still out-speeding Pokemon in the 222 Spe tier is a good reason to incorporate this type of spread.

And that is all for now! I am open to any constructive feedback on sets, items and such! I hope you all are having an amazing day and are opening yourselves to new horizons!
Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)