SS OU Replay - Volt-Turn Rain Offense

Yoyo! I am back with another RMT, I was thinking of volt turn on rain. It ended up working too well. Without further ado, I present to you, Replay!

Barraskewda already forms one part of the Volt Turn core with Flip Turn making huge holes after checks are removed. I thought, why not continue and add some more volt turners, this not only gives Barraskewda more chances to get in, but creates an endless loop where the opponent has two options, stay in and die, or go back into loop of endlessly switching between their "checks" that will be pounded by 4 flip turns and 4 u turns over and over until death. This team often creates this loop and gets the same position it had just a couple of turns ago, hence the name replay.

Listen to this song whilst reading the RMT and laddering for social esteem! :)

THE TEAM:
:sm/pelipper: :sm/Barraskewda: :sm/Rotom-Wash: :sm/scizor: :sm/ferrothorn: :sm/garchomp:

PELIPPER
:sm/pelipper: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:
:Pelipper: :Damp-Rock: Pelipper @ Damp Rock :Damp-Rock: :Pelipper:
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Defog
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost

Pelipper is easily the best rain setter for OU right now, having longetivity, a variety of support moves and only two weaknesses. Damp Rock for increased rain turns, Sassy and 0 Spe to get the slower U-Turn. The moves are standard for a Pelipper and the EVs are to..
Always survives Knock off LO Adamant Crawdaunt. (84.5 - 99.6%)
Always survives CB Brave Bird Jolly Galarian-Zapdos. (84.5 - 99.6%)
Always survives CB Leaf Blade Jolly Kartana (ignore crits) (83.9 - 98.7%)
Always survives CB Triple Axel Jolly Weavile. (83.5 - 98.4%)
Always survives Specs Timid Dragapult U-Turn (7.7 - 9.2%) + Draco Meteor (76.4 - 90.4%)
Always survives Specs Timid Psychic Tapu Lele. (82.6 - 97.5%)
Always survives against Psyshock Specs Modest Lele (82.9 - 97.8%), Psychic is still a favorable roll. (91 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO. There's no way you can only have benefits against Tapu Lele anyway.
You always survive Specs Shadow Ball Timid Blacephalon with enough HP to re-enter after Stealth Rock. (63.1 - 74.6%)

BARRASKEWDA
:Pelipper: :sm/Barraskewda: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

:Barraskewda: :Choice-Band: Barraskewda @ Choice Band :Choice-Band: :Barraskewda:
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Crunch

Barraskewda is one third of our offensive core, under rain this boy forces in many defensive walls that can be hit with flip turn to bring in a threat that also has the option of starting up the Volt-Turn loop. I'm running Crunch for dragapult but I can see myself running psychic fangs for shifu and pex. Other than that stock standard skewda set.

ROTOM-WASH
:pelipper: :Barraskewda: :sm/Rotom-Wash: :poke-ball: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:
:Rotom-Wash: :Choice-Scarf: Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf :Choice-Scarf: :Rotom-Wash:
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Trick
- Defog

I wanted a second-part of a Volt-Turn core, Volt Switch is arguably one of the best moves in OU and it hits toxapex, Corviknight, slow twins and lots more, Barraskewda can struggle to break all of these so I decided on a Rotom-Wash as speed control outside of rain and another water type to abuse rain with hydro pump. Rotom-Wash can trick a scarf onto special walls, smash ground types attempting to block a volt switch, and can also use the surprise defog if pelipper does not want to come in. EVs are self-explanatory.

SCIZOR
:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Rotom-Wash: :sm/scizor: :poke-ball: :poke-ball:

:Scizor: :Leftovers: Scizor @ Leftovers :Leftovers: :Scizor:
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

The third part of the Volt-Turn core. I looked to Scizor for this slot as it is a 4x grass resistance and has it's weakness weakened by rain. It is also soft check to kartana and the big monkey (:Rillaboom:) Scizor can become a threatening sweeper after setting up with priority bullet punches and most of all, a strong U-turn to throw off. I am thinking of changing this set to a band as I mainly click U-Turn however I do like SD + Bullet Punch once in a while and roost is also nice. (I could run roost as 4th move on band though, couldn't I? It bluffs Life Orb well)
Scizor can be pivoted into after a Flip-Turn or a Volt Switch that a grass type has tanked. After this we dish out a saucy U-turn and start up the loop. Once again EVs are self-explanatory and I'm running lefties because I don't always want to click roost, and lefties + grassy terrain is nice for checking monkey man.

FERROTHORN
:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Rotom-Wash: :Scizor: :sm/ferrothorn: :poke-ball:
:Ferrothorn: :Leftovers: Ferrothorn @ Leftovers :Leftovers: :Ferrothorn:
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Leech Seed
- Body Press

Ah ferrothorn, to be honest it's just criminal not to use ferrothorn on rain. Ferrothorn is a great defensive Mon that sets spikes, body presses anything to death and annoys the fuck out of people with leech seed and knock off! Ferrothorn is also a contact punisher that chips down threats that rain struggles to deal with such as urshifu. I am running lefties as rain relies on Ferro so much for a defensive backbone and I want it do be healthy, however I can see this being replaced by rocky helmet for more chip on urshifu and friends.

GARCHOMP
:pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Rotom-Wash: :Scizor: :ferrothorn: :sm/garchomp:
:Garchomp: :Leftovers: Garchomp @ Leftovers :Leftovers: :Garchomp:
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Finally, I needed a ground type and a stealth rocker. I originally thought of seismitoad for this slot however these are a couple reasons why I didn't use it. 1. Ok I know it's rain, but 4 water types is a bit over the top in my eyes. 2. I wanted a stealth rocker, and I always run specs seismitoad as that is where it's damage comes from, I didn't want rocks on Ferro as spikes are stackable and rain really likes hazards up, it chips down threats and can make the opponent defog hazards for you, which rain also appreciates. 3. I wanted another defensive Mon to rely on when checking ghosts, Zapdos and others. That is where garchomp comes in. I chose it over Lando due to toxic + protect being nice to chip down walls that are a struggle to break. Other than that I think everything else is self explanatory.

THREATS
:Sm/Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:
This team has no long-term urshifu check, if you are god vs a band set you can predict even surging strikes with Ferro and every cc with pelipper but that is extremely hard. I like to play more aggressively with doubles into roton when I expect it to come in. Hard to play around but is possible.

:sm/Zapdos:
Again, no long-term checks, garchomp is worn down by hurricane and Ferro is either worn down by hurricane or dies to a couple heat waves. I like to do the same aggressive doubles but here I double into skewda.

Theres more threats but I can't be fucked to list them.

REPLAYS
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1697585018-wg25yml5arjlkip0t74migmr5bi9qwspw
:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Rotom-Wash: :Scizor: :ferrothorn: :garchomp:
Vs.
:Ninetales-Alola: :heatran: :dragapult: :Scizor: :garchomp: :cloyster:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1697590583
Vs.
:Corviknight: :Gastrodon: :Drapion: :Landorus-Therian: :Dragapult: :Chandelure:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1697602712
Vs.
:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: :Heatran: :Rotom-Wash: :Landorus-Therian: :tapu-lele: :kartana:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1697763738
Vs.
:Landorus-Therian: :Clefable: :melmetal: :dragapult: :buzzwole: :Zapdos:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1698880613
Vs.
:Melmetal: :Landorus-Therian: :tyranitar: :Clefable: :dragapult: :toxapex:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1698973914
:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: :Rotom-Wash: :scizor: :ferrothorn: :garchomp:
Vs.
:Tapu-Bulu: :rillaboom: :hitmonlee: :sceptile: :heatran: :Magnezone:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1702354076
Vs.
:Tapu-Lele: :Porygon-Z: :pelipper: :ferrothorn: :Barraskewda: :garchomp:

That's all for this time guys! I hope you enjoyed this RMT and I'm looking forward to making the next one of these!​

ok... nice rain team... but lets go with some changes... first of all the change of

:rotom-wash: -> :zapdos:

why this change? Well it helps give an answer to rillaboom that rain doesn't like switching into to, also while this removes the volt turn aspect you really do not want to be wasting rain turns with rotom-wash regardless an zapdos at least has a nuclear hurricane to back it up. If you want to have volt turn..., then make zapdos specs with volt switch last slot then, i just very very dislike rotom-wash here a its very very passive comapred to a rain team.

name: Offensive
move1: Thunder
move2: Hurricane
move3: Weather Ball
move4: Roost
item: Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Static
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

:scizor: -> :crawdaunt: or :seismitoad:

well scizor is not needed as much since this is not volt turn anymore and it helps give another abuser to rain which will be either daunt or toad since one can free up a slot for SD chomp + aqua tail to nuke lando-t in rain or crawdaunt which helps you give a much much better matchup vs stall. Either or is preference but I dislike scizor here because its passive and it is just not contributing to how rain wants to play which is very offensively. If you want volt turn still you have barra + specs zapdos as an option but i didn't find a reasont o keep scizor on this team

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast

ok... nice rain team... but lets go with some changes... first of all the change of

:rotom-wash: -> :zapdos:

why this change? Well it helps give an answer to rillaboom that rain doesn't like switching into to, also while this removes the volt turn aspect you really do not want to be wasting rain turns with rotom-wash regardless an zapdos at least has a nuclear hurricane to back it up. If you want to have volt turn..., then make zapdos specs with volt switch last slot then, i just very very dislike rotom-wash here a its very very passive comapred to a rain team.

name: Offensive
move1: Thunder
move2: Hurricane
move3: Weather Ball
move4: Roost
item: Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Static
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

:scizor: -> :crawdaunt: or :seismitoad:

well scizor is not needed as much since this is not volt turn anymore and it helps give another abuser to rain which will be either daunt or toad since one can free up a slot for SD chomp + aqua tail to nuke lando-t in rain or crawdaunt which helps you give a much much better matchup vs stall. Either or is preference but I dislike scizor here because its passive and it is just not contributing to how rain wants to play which is very offensively. If you want volt turn still you have barra + specs zapdos as an option but i didn't find a reasont o keep scizor on this team

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Weather Ball
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Focus Blast
doesnt that kinda remove the whole idea?

doesnt that kinda remove the whole idea?
well i did mention if they wanted to keep volt turn aspect of it they can make zap specs and run volt switch over roost. I mean scizor isnt needed here since u both have zap, phys def ferro, and it makes ur stall MU much better if u have daunt or makes nite much better if u use the seismitoad as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)