Relax, It's just a Drizzle

Hey guys, This is my First 5th Gen RMT, Im just getting back into the swing of Pokemon, So mods if there are any errors please PM me and I'll change them immediately.

Now Im not usually a guy that builds my around weather so I thought I'd try it out with all the new abilities it seemed interesting

Team Building Process:
Since I wanted an offensive team and wanted to get the rain going as fast as possible the obvious choice would be Politoed.

With Politoed’s Electric and Grass weakness I wanted to add something to resist those two and I Felt Zapdos was a good choice.

With the first two pokes with enough fire power I wanted to add a bit more bulk as well as setting up SR, and Spikes, as well as spinning, Foretress does the job pretty well.

Next I needed a Spin Blocker, I chose Gengar.

With all the special attackers on my team I wanted to finally utilize Politoed's drizzle with a physical Pokemon, Oh Hai Toxicroak.

And finally what better Pokemon is there to powerfully abuse in the rain than Kingdra when it comes to Attack and Speed

In Depth Look

Jumpah @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Typical lead, gets the rain started. If I fear a status infliction I switch to Zapdos. Scarf is for revenging and bringing the rain back down if Hippo, T-tar, or Ninetales decides to show their face. The Ev’s are pretty standard here. Hydro Pump is for early game to dish out as much damage as I can and it does a mess load of hurt in the rain to anything that doesn’t resist it. Surf is for late game if I switch in to revenge kill and I am not feeling lucky enough for Hydro Pump to hit. Ice beam for Flyers Dragons and Grass types. Hp Grass is to take out bulky waters although I feel like I should be using another move here.

Fritz @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I REALLY wanted Zappy to have Lightning Rod, but It is illegal with ST in Dream World. Anyways this bird is the shit, while having the standard defensive wall Ev spread I chose to run the Restalk set with a spin. Zapdos comes in on anything it resists, immune to, or status and starts phazing away with Roar or killing off weaker Pokemon with Thunderbolt once I have rocks up. I chose The Restalk set so Zapdos can wall for as long as possible while still having an offensive edge. Once asleep my opponent thinks it’s time to set up, but ST+Roar when you are faster is amazing, still spamming Roar and T-bolt. As much as I love this poke I get beat by other Zapdos all the time.

GoldMine @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Rapid Spin

This guy is such a useful tool. He sets up my rocks/ spikes, spins away others, and to top it off him and Zapdos have a great synergy together. Not much more to say about him except since for the over abuse of Shandera I might switch Lefties for Shed Shell, he’s been dying to often from Shandera

Kid Again @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Damn You 5th gen for stripping Rotom-W of its ghost typing. I needed a spin blocker….really bad, I mean every single match some poke would come in and RS my hard work away -__-. But anyways Gengar works pretty well in this slot. Max Sp Atk, and Speed is all Gengar needs. His amazing typing lets me switch him in on multiple occaisions. Sub with Hypnosis and Black Sludge keeps him at surprisingly high health for such a frail poke. If I know my opponent is going to switch I immediately sub up, then go for the hypnosis then proceed to wreak havoc as much as I can. Out of everyone on the team I feel that he is the weak link.

Moist @ Life Orb
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Sucker Punch
- Earthquake

Toxicroak is an absolute monster in the rain. Typical 252/252 Ev spread for max attack and speed. I love Drain Punch + Life Orb + Dry Skin. Toxicroak heals from the damage done to him by life orb with Dry Skin with rain, plus also recovers half the damage caused by Drain Punch. Sucker Punch is for those psychics or weakened DDer’s who think they will be faster. EQ And Poison Jab are really good filler moves. When battling other rain dance teams Toxicroak is my trump card as he handles Ludicolo and other Swift Swimmers quite well.

Young Prince @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage
- Waterfall
- Hydro Pump
I always save this guy for last, Now I wouldn’t say he’s the star of the show because he barely gets to leave his Pokeball. Most Likely after Toxicroak takes out their weakened Scarfers It comes in and rampages.

Conclusion:
Though I feel this team can hold its own There are some holes that I cannot quite fix. Suicune, and Blissey most Noticeable

Thats My Team guys, Thanks for Reading
Rate, Fix, Steal?

Nice team, I don't have time for a full rate right now, but the first thing I notice is just a little nitpick:

Use Thunder on Zapdos instead of Thunderbolt, it has 100% accuracy in rain and you'll be able to do a lot more damage.

I'll edit this post when I get time to finish the rate. Good luck.

As was said Thunder on Zapdos.

I feel like the Kingdra set is a bit over kill. My personal preference would be to use DD or Sub with Outrage, Waterfall, and Hydro Pump. Give it a Lum Berry and drop some of the sAtk EVs for either HP or Spe. That's just me though. Other then that I like it. Haven't seen to many rest talk Zapdos, I normally used a screener lead or an Agi Subdos. Good like with the team.

For gengar, be careful of the accuracy of hypnosis... everytime I used the move in the battle tower the other pokemon would INSTANTLY wake up the next turn it seems, or they would have brightpowder or something so it would miss often. But I guess since it gets an accuracy boost in gen V then you should be safer using the move.

Cross-Chop on Toxicroak is well worth the power. Extremely redundant coverage on Kingdra. I'd go ChestoRest DD with Waterfall and Outrage instead. You could then move some of the SpA evs into HP to add to its bulk, considering its resistances and solid defense.

Everyone, Thunder on Zapdos, considering he's the one starting rain!!

I too would recommend switching to Thunder on Zapdos as well as use the Lightningrod ability, which is pretty much made for Rain teams. You won't lose to opposing Zapdos anymore that's for sure. Roost, Substitute, Toxic and Thunder are all you need.

That's an interesting Gengar. I mean, if it's been working for you I see no reason to change it. It could also run Thunder in the Rain though if you wanted to take advantage of that.

I'll second the DD/Rest/Lum set on Kingdra. Only Empoleon resists water and dragon and with enough DDs you can overpower it with Waterfall and flinching. Not like it's really common anyway. This lets you put those SpA EVs into HP and Speed instead. I think just enough speed to outrun Scarf Shaymin-S should be the goal.

You might want to consider Nattorei over Forretress since it resists boosted water attacks that Forretress doesn't. Spikes, SR, Thunder Wave and Power Whip is a good set and the paralysis helps your Toxicroak. And if you run Nattorie, you could substitute Gengar for Burungeru possible for the Natt/Buru combo that is even more beastly in the Rain.

And that's about it really. Pretty decent rain team otherwise.

Focus Blast on Politoed over HP Grass for Nattorei.

Nattoeri over Forretress is a good idea, I second this. You lose Rapid Spin but you gain a water resist, and since rain is very common, all the water resists you can have are good.

I like the Pringles ghost as a spin blocker over Gengar. Burenguru (sp?) I think it's called? Again, Water Absorb is amazing, and he lols at the fire attacks that Nattorei draws in. Spikes/Rocks/Power Whip/T-Wave or Gyro Ball is a good set. I use a spread of 252 HP/4 Atk/160 Def/92 SpD with a Careful nature. This gives you 338 Def and 320 SpD, allowing you to sponge attacks from either side of the spectrum. If you decide that Gyro Ball better suits your tastes and use it over Thunder Wave, then you can use a Sassy nature and a speed IV of 1 to power up Gyro Ball. Using a speed IV of 1 instead of 0 means you still outspeed other Nattoreis trying to do the same thing but with a 0 IV. And ALWAYS use Shed Shell on Natty/Forry in Dream World, otherwise you get 1 layer of hazards then get raped by Spell Tag Shandera which is on almost every team.

Also, I don't know if it suits your play style, but Bulk Up Toxicroak is insane, especially in the rain. Like absolutely ridiculous. It may not suit this team, but I think it's at least worth a test.

Good luck with the team! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)