Registeel (Rest + Sleep Talk) +

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been using this set for a while and it's been pretty effective.

www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/registeel

[SET]
name: Rest + Sleep Talk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Curse
move 4: Iron Head
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With its Steel-typing and base 150 defenses, Registeel makes a very durable wall. However, Registeel lacks a reliable recovery move. This set remedies that problem by using the Rest and Sleep Talk combination, playing similarly to Crocune.</p>

<p>The objective of this set is to boost Registeel's mediocre Attack high enough to actually hurt opponents, while also boosting its stellar Defense to assist in walling. Once Registeel has Cursed 2-3 times or more, Rest off any residual damage and attempt to sweep. While Steel isn't generally a very effective attacking type, it does have the luxury of being able to damage every Pokemon except Shedinja; one such property the standard Crocune lacks. It is recommended, though, that you use Magnezone or Dugtrio with this to help defeat Steel and Water-types which completely wall this set. Registeel also defends well against special attacks. For example, it is 4HKOed by Timid maximum Special Attack Shaymin-S' Earth Power, which is Shaymin-S' best option against Registeel.</p>

<p>Maximizing HP EVs makes Registeel as durable as possible. A large amount of EVs are allotted to Special Defense to bolster Registeel's non-boosted defensive stat. The rest of the EVs can be distributed to Defense or Attack, to assist in walling or offense, respectively. Attack is preferred though, as Registeel's offense is pretty weak.</p>

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with Amre, care to elaborate SlobroKing? I'm not totally disagreeing though as Regi's HP is somewhat low, but not low enough imo to need max HP.

Edited in amre's edit, thanks.

Due to Registeel's low Base HP and massive Base SpD, he will benefit a lot more from max HP than he will from max SpD.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
When considering just one defense, damage is minimized when:
HP = defense

When HP > defense:
Raise defense

When HP < defense:
Raise HP

It is evident here that maximum HP is preferable to special defense because damage is less in percentage terms (example used = specs mence fire blast).

I would use 252 HP EVs and talk about how the remainder can be split between special defense and attack according to preference. As is, 199 attack (52 EVs) is really feeble. Return should be an option over iron head.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, when your HP is not massive you should never stop at a Leftovers number unless you're avoiding a specific kill. I should add that to my sig so people stop using less than max hp tentacruel.

Attack and Special Defense EVs should preferrably not be arbitrary. Maybe enough attack to OHKO Tyranitar after a curse or something, rest SDef? Maybe enough SDef to take 2 Life Orb (DD set EVs) Fire Blasts from Salamence?

Some calcs show you always 2HKO Tyranitar after a Curse and can never OHKO without SR and a boosting nature and max EVs, and that's assuming 0 HP. Too bad there's no Gyro Ball....

I would run 252 HP, 216 SpD, 40 Atk. You'll be more durable that way. Or, just run the simple 252/252/4 spread :/

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While Steel isn't generally a very effective attacking type, it does have the luxury of being able to damage every Pokemon; one such property the standard Crocune lacks.
You forgot about Shedinja.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sheddy can be ridiculously easily PP stalled by Registeel, so if you mention Shedinja, throw that in there.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
No, it isn't, as easy math will show. Shedinja's usual moveset, Swords Dance / Shadow Sneak / X-Scissor / Will-O-Wisp nets 90 attacking turns without PP Ups, and this moveset only nets 65 attacking turns without PP Ups, taking into account that Rest can occupy 3 turns. Don't make such blatantly wrong statements.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With its Steel-typing and base 150 defenses, Registeel makes a very durable wall. However, Registeel lacks a reliable recovery move. This set remedies that problem by using the Rest and Sleep Talk combination, playing similarly to Crocune.</p>

<p>The objective of this set is to boost Registeel's mediocre Attack high enough to actually hurt opponents, while also boosting its stellar Defense to assist in walling. Once Registeel has Cursed 2-3 times or more, Rest off any residual damage and attempt to sweep. While Steel isn't generally a very effective attacking type, it does have the luxury of being able to damage every Pokemon; one such property the standard Crocune lacks. It is recommended, though, that you use Magnezone or Dugtrio with this to help defeat Steel and Water-types which completely wall this set. Registeel also defends well against special attacks. For example, it is 4HKOed by Timid 252 Special Attack Shaymin-S' Earth Power, which is Shaymin-S' best option against Registeel.</p>

<p>204 HP EVs give Registeel 352 HP, max leftovers recovery. Max Special Defense EVs bolster the non-boosted defensive stat. The rest of the EVs can be distributed to Defense or Attack, to assist in walling or offense, respectively. Attack is preferred though, as Registeel's offense is pretty weak.</p>
Rather well written edit. Just a few grammar nitpicks.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
I would run 252 HP, 216 SpD, 40 Atk. You'll be more durable that way. Or, just run the simple 252/252/4 spread :/
Either of the spreads would be fine with me. I'm going to calc if having 252/216 leaves you too vulnerable to some things (Skymin's Earth Power for example) Will edit when I do.

Anyone strongly want one of the spreads? If not, I'll probably go with the 252/216 one and the last paragraph accordingly.

Edit, yea 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpD seems fine

Added the other edits, thanks everyone.

It may be a good idea to acknowledge Heatran as a counter, as it is 4x resistant to Iron Head and threatens with STAB Fire Blast.

Choice Scarf variants also outrun non-scarf Dugtrio as well as Magnezone, so it would be suitable to mention that you may need a Heatran counter... Such as Suicune.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For example, it is 4HKOed by Timid maximum Special Attack Shaymin-S' Earth Power, which is Shaymin-S' best option against Registeel.</p>
I always feel like maximum sounds better then 252, ignore if you want though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)