SS OU REGIELEKI SEMI-RAIN - PEAKED #1, 2131 ft. Specs Pelipper, Barraskewda (UPDATED POST-KYU)

Which Pokemon on this team is most fun to use?

• Pelipper

Votes: 53 19.6%
  • Barraskewda

Votes: 61 22.5%
  • Tapu Lele

Votes: 37 13.7%
  • Regieleki

Votes: 104 38.4%
  • Landorus-Therian

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • Ferrothorn

Votes: 8 3.0%

• Total voters
UPDATED POKEPASTE POST-KYUREM: https://pokepast.es/4f9eda1c0f573d5d

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. Introduction
  2. Proof of Peak
  3. Team + Description
  4. Team Building Process
  5. Team usage tips
  6. Threat List
  7. Replays
  8. Shout Outs
  9. Importable
  10. Bonus Teambuilding Guide
  11. Other Teams
  12. Outro

1. INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone! It’s Pinkacross, and I’ve got another team. The metagame has recently been very difficult to build in. The number of failed projects piling up in my builder is large enough to start glitching my computer. However, after hundreds of attempts, an idea finally worked-- a semi-rain team, with Choiced Pelipper and Barraskewda. I wanted to make a team that was unique, unheard of, wacky-- and most of all, broken. Due to OLT (Official Ladder Tournament) going on, many games with this team were public, and viewed by many. The team became so well known during laddering that many tried to create counter teams-- but despite their efforts, this beast of a team managed to dominantly seize #1, crushing many OLTers and top players in the process. I’m proud to present to you my Regieleki Semi-Rain.

2. PROOF OF PEAK

This peak was achieved by Storm Zone and I laddering up on his account. We started around mid 1700s, and using only this team, achieved #1 and boosted our GXE from 86.0% to 87.3%. Prior to contacting Storm Zone, this team performed well for me in testing, getting me from low 1500s to 1800s without any losses.

3. TEAM + DESCRIPTION

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- U-turn / Knock Off / Roost

- Weather Ball / Knock Off / Roost

Pelipper is the rain setter and primary breaker of this team. While it’s stats may seem underwhelming, high BP moves like Hurricane combined with the 1.5x boost received on Water moves from Rain makes Pelipper extremely powerful. Even if Pelipper is not needed for breaking, it is often worth keeping around as it’s ability, Drizzle, sets rain to boost the power of Barraskewda’s Water moves and activate Swift Swim, doubling Barraskewda’s speed. Choice Specs are the time of choice on Pelipper to help it break down walls and achieve more OHKOs and 2HKOS. Surf is absolutely necessary as it is Pelipper’s strongest reliable Water STAB move, at 90 BP. Hydro Pump can be run over Surf, with 110 BP but 80% accuracy. It is necessary to run a Water move other than Weather Ball, as Weather Ball turns into a Rock move when a Hippowdon or Tyranitar switches in. Hurricane is Pelipper’s strongest Flying STAB move, and it is 100% accurate in the rain. Hurricane lets Pelipper hit Grass types and bulky Waters such as Toxapex, Slowking, and Slowbro. U-turn is a great move on Pelipper, as it lets Pelipper avoid prediction situations and simply switch out. This is very helpful for bringing in Barraskewda, or perhaps Regieleki if the opponent brings in a bulky Water. Weather Ball is also a very helpful move, giving Pelipper certain OHKOs and 2HKOs not achieved by Surf. Alternatively, you can choose to run Knock Off, which lets Pelipper cripple walls such as Toxapex, Galarian Slowking, and Blissey. Roost can also be used to improve Pelipper’s longevity, allowing it to survive longer particularly when facing bulky teams that seek to chip Pelipper with status and Stealth Rock entries. Pelipper is Modest nature and fully invested in Special Attack to give maximum power. 180 Speed EVs lets Pelipper outpace Crawdaunt by 2 points, letting it outspeed Tapu Fini that speed creep Crawdaunt. The rest is invested into HP for additional bulk.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar in Rain: 169-199 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable in Rain: 352-415 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 175-207 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Pelipper in Grassy Terrain: 237-280 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 720-848 (211.1 - 248.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 190-225 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Assurance / Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat

Barraskewda is the main sweeper of this team, and it also functions as speed control, particularly in the rain. Barraskewda is Pelipper’s main partner, as it hits very hard physically while Pelipper hits very hard specially. Choice Band is used to make Barraskewda a more effective breaker, and with very little drawback, as Barraskewda rarely needs to predict when choosing a move. Liquidation is chosen as Barraskewda’s most powerful STAB move, with the Defense drop chance making it a superior choice to Waterfall. Flip Turn is a great swapping move that Barraskewda can freely spam in many matchups. Assurance is a great Dark move. It is 60 BP, but if the opponent has taken damage already (through entry hazards) the power is doubled to 120 BP. This is great, as it OHKOs Slowking and does a lot of damage to Slowbro that switch in (if their Heavy Duty Boots are Knocked Off) and OHKOs Dragapult that think they can tank a hit from Barraskewda. Alternatively, Psychic Fangs can be used to hit Toxapex harder, and have a chance to OHKO Urshifu-R. Lastly, Close Combat is great for hitting Steels like Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Kartana. Adamant nature is chosen as Barraskewda outspeeds almost everything even without a + Speed nature, and in rain it easily overtakes those few pokemon, making Adamant nature worth it. Maximum Attack and Speed investment help Barraskewda be as strong and fast as possible.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Assurance vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 280-330 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Assurance vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking: 496-584 (125.8 - 148.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Assurance vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 524-618 (165.2 - 194.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 328-388 (93.1 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable in Rain: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp in Rain: 343-405 (96 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Future Sight
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Psyshock

Tapu Lele is a great Offense countermeasure for this team. With a Choice Scarf, Tapu Lele can outspeed and OHKO or deal massive damage to many common Offense pokemon, such as Kartana, Bisharp, Rillaboom, Dragapult, Dragonite, and Hydreigon, all while preventing priority with Psychic Terrain. Tapu Lele can also function as a breaker, however, using Future Sight to aid the other team members in breaking down Stall and Bulky Balance. Items such as Life Orbs and Choice Specs do not boost the power of Future Sight after switching out, giving Modest Tapu Lele the strongest Future Sight in the game, even when holding a Choice Scarf. Moonblast is a powerful Fairy move, letting Tapu Lele break teams with a strong STAB that cannot be absorbed in any way. Psyshock is Tapu Lele’s second main STAB, chosen over Psychic since Psyshock hits on the physical side, letting Tapu Lele break Galarian Slowking and Blissey better. Thunder is chosen as a coverage move to hit Corviknight, Slowking, and occasionally Heatran. Thunder is also 100% accurate in Rain, making it a superior choice to Thunderbolt on this team. Tapu Lele runs Modest, as Timid Scarf Tapu Lele does not hit any extremely common speed tiers. However, you can run Timid to outspeed or tie other Scarf Tapu Lele, and Scarf Kyurem. Max Special Attack and Speed investment is chosen to make Tapu Lele fast enough to outspeed threats such as Zeraora and Dragapult with a Choice Scarf, while having enough power to effectively break.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp in Psychic Terrain: 321-378 (89.9 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex in Psychic Terrain: 314-372 (103.2 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Psychic Terrain: 333-392 (128.5 - 151.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 229-270 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 203-239 (78.3 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 212-250 (53 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey in Psychic Terrain: 339-399 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO

Regieleki @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Transistor
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Electro Ball
- Rapid Spin

- Ancient Power

Regieleki is the removal and speed control of this team, though it can also function as a sweeper if the opponent does not carefully guard their Electric immunity. Heavy Duty Boots are chosen as the item for Regieleki so that it can repeatedly enter on Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes without harm, and often Rapid Spin them away in the process. Heavy Duty Boots also keep Regieleki at high health, often allowing it to take one hit, which is very important as Regieleki is quite frail. Volt Switch is Regieleki’s most important attack, and a strong Electric STAB move. Regieleki frequently uses Volt Switch to swap out while damaging the pokemon in front of it, as Regieleki outspeeds the entire tier, barring a few strange sets. Electro Ball is chosen over Thunderbolt on this set because it does more damage to walls, getting a guaranteed OHKO on specially defensive Toxapex, having a 120 BP against Clefable, and a 150 BP against Slowking, Slowbro, Galarian Slowking, Reuniclus, and Ferrothorn. Electro Ball is anywhere from 60 to 150 base power depending on the speed of the foe. On a Tapu Koko, the BP is 60. On a Heatran, the BP is 80. On a Clefable, the BP is 120, and on a Toxapex the BP is 150. Beware, however, as different sets can yield different Electro Ball damage outputs. A maximum speed invested Melmetal takes 120 BP from Electro Ball, whereas a Speed uninvested Melmetal takes 150 BP. Electro Ball also increases in power after a Speed boost from Rapid Spin. This lets Regieleki be a threatening breaker, able to stop CM Clefable and Reuniclus before they get a chance to set up. Rapid Spin is extremely helpful, letting Regieleki remove hazards and boost its speed. Often clicking Rapid Spin is worth sacking Regieleki, if it sufficiently helps the other members of the team win. Ancient Power is the chosen Ground coverage here. Ancient Power hits Landorus-Therian neutrally, and was chosen over Round or Swift because it hits Kyurem super effectively, and has a shot at omni boosting Regieleki (raising all stats by 1). Regieleki’s EVs and Timid Nature allow it to outspeed Scarf base 110 Speed Pokemon, letting Regieleki notably outspeed Scarf Latios, Scarf Kartana, and Scarf Landorus-Therian. Special Attack is maximum invested to give a maximum power output, and the rest is in HP for additional bulk.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 267-315 (67.7 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 160-189 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 274-325 (85.3 - 101.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 80 HP / 4 SpD Regieleki: 280-330 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 344-408 (113.1 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 414-488 (105 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Regieleki Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 46-55 (12 - 14.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

- Toxic / Knock Off

Landorus is the Stealth Rock setter, primary Ground immunity, and Electric immunity of the team. Landorus is also the most common lead for this team. Leftovers are chosen to help Landorus have as much longevity as possible, as Landorus frequently needs to come in several times per game. Stealth Rock is a necessary move for every hazard stack, helping to rack up residual damage. Earthquake is Landorus’ main STAB Ground move, allowing it to force out Heatran, Tapu Koko, and occasionally Toxapex. U-turn is a great switching move that helps Landorus safely exit the battlefield while dealing damage, and is used more often than switching out in my experience. For the last slot, Toxic is very helpful for poisoning opposing pokemon, particularly Ground types such as Hippowdown, Garchomp, and other Landorus-Therian, which helps wear them down for Regieleki. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to remove items and be in a better situation against Dragapult leads. Landorus is mainly invested in HP and Special Defense, to make it a better check for Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and Heatran, as well as being able to reliably live hits from Specs Tapu Lele and Specs Dragapult from full. However, the 104 Defense investment guarantees that Landorus lives a +1 Life Orb Grassy Glide from Rillaboom after taking Rocks damage. Landorus has a 28 IV in speed so it can comfortably outspeed uninvested Heatran, while still reliably underspeeding other Landorus-Therian leads, so it can slow U-turn out.

NOTABLE CALCS:

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 302-356 (79.2 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian in Psychic Terrain: 262-309 (68.7 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 124-147 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 568-672 (147.1 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 97-115 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 132-156 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- 58.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes

Ferrothorn is the Spikes setter and the check to Kyurem and Tapu Lele. Leftovers are chosen to give Ferrothorn as much longevity as possible, and reliably tank at least 2 hits from Specs Kyurem from full. That being said, if you see a lot of Magnezone on the ladder, you could swap to Shed Shell if you see fit. Spikes is the most important move this Ferrothorn carries. By setting up hazards against the opposing team, you can chip down walls as they enter, particularly hazard vulnerable pokemon like Toxapex and Galarian Slowking that annoy Pelipper and Barraskewda. Keep in mind that the first layer of Spikes does 12.5% damage, having two layers deals 16.67% damage, and having three layers deals 25% damage. Knock Off is another very important move for Ferrothorn. With Knock Off, Ferrothorn can remove items, most notably Heavy Duty Boots, to aid in stacking hazards and crippling the opponent’s team. Leech Seed is another great tool at Ferrothorn’s disposal. By using Leech Seed, Ferrothorn can force out almost every pokemon in the tier, notably Corviknight. To get up a Spike on a Corviknight, you can Spike, Knock Off as they are forced to Defog, set another Spike, then go for Leech Seed, and repeat the process of Spiking until Corviknight is forced to Roost or switch out. This works with all Defoggers, except for a few rare cases. Lastly, Iron Head is on this Ferrothorn to reliably check Calm Mind Clefable and Substitute Kyurem, while also providing a decently strong STAB move to damage pokemon like Tapu Fini. Both Calm Mind Clefable and Substitute Kyurem can easily stall out Gyro Ball, making this the superior option. Ferrothorn is maximum invested in HP and Special Defense so it can reliably check Kyurem and Tapu Lele, as well as tank hits from Choice Specs Dragapult and other Ghost types. 8 Speed EVs are added so Ferrothorn can outspeed other Ferrothorn, letting it set up Spikes before it is Body Pressed to death.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 157-186 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Psychic Terrain: 93-110 (26.4 - 31.3%) -- 21.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 106-126 (30.1 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4. TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I started with my initial core of Choice Specs Pelipper and Choice Band Barraskewda.

I knew I struggled against Toxapex, but I wanted to avoid adding a passive Future Sight user like Slowbro or Slowking, so I added a Tapu Lele. While the set I initially chose was Heavy Duty Boots, I later changed it to be Scarf.

I knew I planned to have a hazard stack, and I’d need offensive removal. I chose Regieleki for being great speed control, particularly being able to outspeed Scarf Kartana which currently threatened me greatly, and for its ability to lure Ground types that Pelipper and Barraskewda could come in on.

I needed an electric immunity and a Stealth Rocker, so I chose the option that fit best into offensive teams: Landorus-Therian. Unlike Garchomp or Hippowdon, Landorus has U-turn, often making it the best choice for offensive hazard stacks.

I needed to add a spike setter, and I lost hard to Kyurem and Tapu Lele, making Ferrothorn the obvious choice. It also added a more reliable Knock Off user to the team, which was appreciated.

5. TEAM USAGE TIPS

1. Don’t sack Pelipper unless you won’t need rain late game. Barraskewda isn’t the team’s only speed control, so Pelipper often is worth sacking, but be careful not to sack the Drizzle pokemon when you need it.
  2. Play aggressively and make reads. This is a standard rule for offense, and it applies to this team. People won’t ALWAYS go into their Ground type when Regieleki is in, especially if you’ve doubled into Pelipper in the past. Call out when people will switch in or swap out-- often just one good read is enough to be put in a winning position.
  3. Use Landorus + Ferrothorn to set hazards on Corviknight. Between Landorus Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn Spikes, you have enough PP to stall out Corviknight’s Defog. Set Rocks, swap into Ferrothorn, set Spikes, swap back into Landorus. and continue on like this.
  4. Understand Electro Ball. It has a minimum PP of 40 (although usually it is a minimum of 60, as the only exception to this rule being faster pokemon such as a faster Regieleki) and a maximum PP of 150, based on the opponent’s speed stat. Clicking Rapid Spin DOES NOT boost the power of Electro Ball by 1.5x, though it often does increase the power. Opponent speed stat boosts will often lower the power of Electro Ball. Items such as Choice Scarf or Lagging Tail DO impact the damage output of Electro Ball. Possible damage outputs for Electro Ball are 40, 60, 80, 120, and 150.
  5. Keep Ferrothorn and/or Landorus healthy when facing a Rillaboom. Rillaboom is a big threat, and you’ll regret it if you don’t save a resist to Grassy Glide. However, if you chip Rillaboom and have an opportunity to stack spikes, often this is worth sacking Ferrothorn, as you can limit Rillaboom to entering once or twice more.
  6. Rapid Spin is very valuable, don’t sack Regieleki if you need it alive to spin. On the flip side, often using Rapid Spin is it, even if Regieleki dies, if you are removing hazards that will allow your remaining pokemon to win.
  7. When facing HO that has a healthy Ground type such as Garchomp or Landorus, often Regieleki is a good sack when in need-- your opponent won’t sack their Ground when Regieleki is on the field.
  8. Utilize Tapu Lele frequently when facing Offense and HO, it is often the best tool against these teams.
  9. Check out the Replay section to see how Storm Zone and I play the team. Many of the replays show optimal or near optimal play of the team.

6. THREAT LIST

(BANNED, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT)

Specs Kyurem is the main issue, as Ferrothorn can fairly easily deal with Substitute variants. Try to not lead Landorus against Kyurem teams, as to avoid instantly being put in a bad spot. Lead something that can force it out, like Barraskewda, Ferrothorn, or Tapu Lele. If it doesn’t lead, keep Ferrothorn healthy to tank at least one hit and either use Spikes or Iron Head.

Individually, these pokemon are not extremely problematic. However, the combination of a strong Water resist like Toxapex, a hard Future Sight blocker like Jirachi, and solid removal such as Corviknight, is essentially the end. There is nothing you can do against a core such as this-- try to Knock Off as much as possible, pressure switches with Barraskewda, and utilize Regieleki to bait in Ground types to get in your Breakers. It takes a very specific team to wall this offense-- we only saw one that could while laddering, which was specifically designed as a counterteam. We faced around 50 fat teams on the ladder, and beat all but one of them. Generally speaking, fat is not an issue at all, but this specific combination is deadly.

Grassy Glide outspeeds and OHKOs essentially the whole team bar Landorus and Ferrothorn. Keep Ferrothorn alive when facing Rillaboom, and/or pressure Rillaboom with hazards, limiting the amount of times it can enter. Storm Zone and I beat many Rillaboom offenses while laddering, but you must be wary.

A less threatening version of Rillaboom. It has no priority, and it can be outsped by Regieleki and Barraskewda in the rain, even if Scarf. If not Scarf, it is also outsped by Tapu Lele. Not a huge issue, but as Ferrothorn is the only Grass resist, you need to be careful.

7. REPLAYS

All of the following battles were done on Storm Zone’s account, with me ghosting. This will give you a good balance of his aggressive reads and my conservative caution. You need both to play this team well at a top level.

Battle that got us to 2120: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377959427-0pidcqujilkluyr20h3f7sz1lks8r0xpw
Beating Stall in 2000s: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377907275
Regieleki sweep in 2000s: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377899096
Vs Trick Room: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375925877
Vs Hawlucha + Kartana Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375834905
Vs Opposing Hstack: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375822937
Vs Rillaboom + Kartana Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374581750
Vs RillaLucha Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374559951
Pressuring Choice Specs Kyurem: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375036619-29cjmg4nxd9va6jqy55mrtd2wt3fmbvpw
Vs Kart + Zone Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374997665-1a97qs52ci3cp4kdkgz8kqk0oeyy8flpw
Vs Tace: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374588517-yis87ujng9rs7sso5u17t7x6d699vs5pw
Vs Tace Bulky Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374562927-rdzdoyj534iv1cr4iyxoa53p5tb6af8pw
Vs Urshi-R Bulky Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374554063-ynoxa6s8ar3sn3opvfewv27nzwrq7uppw
Vs Rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374466850-gew3utovfv4pm754fff69p7syx7ny34pw
Barraskewda sweep without Rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374456215-dpvxmkzschd0ihblkmjor7inx27qq21pw
Regieleki Ancient Power omniboost flex: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374449101-dzqdzx108wzd6sx43sc05m5195q4d8fpw
Lele sweeps Rillaboom Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374303771-nurhihsilkyas3ru13w4hwzo36dxs27pw
Destroying Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1373810766-aah2h50o2w4ck8ea8xgyu9z4evnk4odpw
Speedrunning Empo Bulky Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375613787-wejtwuqc5oryuuhi0igzck5197b2g8epw
Assurance Barraskewda saves a game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377788399-b7vzrbkxhjy5mw7bdzlncspibuac0hcpw
Vs Xatu Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377879751-w15s4eokr75g2fg6du4njft649usq12pw
Vs RillaKart + Urshi-R Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377893365-5preqs41k20txdyp09p0k4i41yqeee9pw
Vs Top Ladder Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377917676-67h7znhsutpg1mg9rqfviipmcqye46spw
Lele Thunder comes in clutch: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375936110
Vs Specs Kyurem + Aegislash Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375027277

8. SHOUT OUTS

Huge shout outs to Storm Zone for helping test the team, peaking, and helping make adjustments to sets. It’s been great working as his partner to provide the tier with top level creative teams. Also thanks to Slainey for helping with testing and providing comedic relief.

9. IMPORTABLE

The Team: https://pokepast.es/df877a588df09279

My Nicknames: https://pokepast.es/b82a1851b2b519ea

Storm Zone’s Nicknames: https://pokepast.es/b80baf46b1a7f115

10. BONUS TEAMBUILDING GUIDE

I’ve been getting a lot of questions about how to teambuild, so I decided to make a quick guide to get people on the right track. The steps will be black and the commentary will be in red. Here are the steps I go through when building a team:

1. Pick a core/pokemon.
This is the step where you decide what you want to build around. For this team, my initial core was Choice Specs Pelipper + Choice Band Barraskewda.

2. Pick a playstyle.
Certain playstyles suit certain pokemon better. You don’t want to make an Alakazam stall, for instance. The team can branch out at this point, and several versions can be made. Maybe the core/pokemon you selected works on more than 1 playstyle.

3. Add supporting pokemon to the core/pokemon.
This is where you find partners that work well with the core. For this team, I knew that Tapu Lele would be a good partner for my rain core, since it was able to break bulky waters like Toxapex that Pelipper and Barraskewda struggle with, while also being able to set Future Sight to let Barraskewda and Pelipper break.

4. Add hazards/ hazard removal.
You may have this implemented already, and if so, this step can be skipped. If not, this is a very important step as almost every team needs hazards and removal. Due to the presence of Heavy Duty Boots, some teams can skip out on hazards. It is almost never a good choice to skip out on removal. The more offensive your team is, the more flimsy your removal can be, of course depending on how weak your team is to hazards. Bulky teams need very solid hazard removal, like a Corviknight. A more offensive build may use a defogger like Scarf Kartana. If your team is bulky and weak to hazards, you need solid and consistent removal. If your team is offensive and good against hazards, you can afford flimsy removal or even no removal at all. In this case, I added Regieleki as hazard control, and a Landorus-T + Ferrothorn core to set Stealth Rocks and Spikes.

5. Patch up holes.
At this stage you likely won’t have too many slots left. See what pokemon you lose to, and add something that fixes the issue. Remember that this choice should not only fix a problem, but also add to the functionality of a team. For example, if you lack a Weavile check, and you’re running an HO build, a Scarf Tapu Fini would be a much better addition than a Corviknight, even though they both fix the problem.

Building can be very difficult, especially when using creative pokemon. My advice is this: Make teams that are great against most things, rather than good against everything. You can’t cover every playstyle, or every set, or every team. If you try, you’ll end up making mediocre teams that don’t win, but rather focus on not losing. It’s better to win 9/10 matchups and get destroyed in the one loss than to have a mediocre team that wins 6/10 matchups. If you only remember one thing from this whole guide, remember this: Teams that just “don’t lose” to anything often don’t beat anything either.

6. Test.
Test multiple versions, or one version, but testing is vital. Even after years of building I can’t tell if what looks good on paper will be good in practice, and vice versa.

7. Repeat steps.
This is an iterative process, and you may have to redo these steps many times until you get the team you want. This semirain team was my first success in 67 building attempts. That being said, you may have a dead end building project that just isn’t worth it. Vibrava will never work in OU. At times like this, choose a new project.

11. OTHER TEAMS

Flame Charge Blacephalon Balance - Peaked #1: POSSIBLY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blacephalon’s-disco-party-peaked-1-2117-ft-flame-charge-blacephalon.3678209/

Alolan Raichu Offense - Peaked #5: POSSIBLY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/raichu-alola-offense-peaked-5-2092.3675251/

OR

Hail Offense- Peaked #1: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ft-alolan-sandslash-alolan-ninetales.3681004/

12. OUTRO

Thanks to anyone who read this thread! I know OLT is currently going on, so hopefully this can help someone qualify (or at least crush some of the people using stall :p). Despite this meta being incredibly difficult to build in, and exponentially harder to build creatively in, don’t give up. As always, feel free to leave a comment, and don't be afraid to message me on Smogon or on PS (I'm always on my main account, Pinkacross) if you have a creative teambuilding idea! Keep being creative and having fun!

Last edited:
Finally, after staying in my computer chair staring at my monitor for approximately 112 days, 19 hours, 25 minutes, and 16 seconds, pinkacross has posted a new team. My life is complete.
Has it been that long? Well, building creatively in this metagame is extremely difficult. That being said, I'm already working on other teams, and if all goes well, I'll have another RMT out soon. Your support is greatly appreciated! :)

Hey ! That's a very cool team and I think that kind of Rain offense works often well rn, especially on ladder.

:pelipper:
I think U-Turn and Roost are the best options for the last moves on Pelipper, even if Weather Ball and Knock Off can be useful. I like Weather Ball a lot and I think it could be considered on the Surf / Hydro Pump slot tho, as opp won't often go on their Sand Pokemon in front of Pelipper (well they'll never do that, unless you revealed Weather Ball and opp knows you don't have a water move which shouldn't happen often).

:barraskewda:
I think Psychic Fangs should always be used over Assurance on Barraskewda as it is often useful especially against Rocky Helmet Buzzwole which can be a problem for Rain teams.
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 180-214 (43 - 51.1%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
You will often use Flip Turn against teams with Slowbro to pressure with Regieleki so yea I think Psychic Fangs is always better here.

:tapu lele:
I think Focus Blast could be considered here. Of course, all of your 4 moves seem to be kinda mendatory here but I think going with Focus Blast over Future Sight could be very interesting especially for Ferrothorn mu. It also lets you kill Bisharp and Kartana without any hazards which is very good. At first I thought Focus Blast could be an option over Thunder but I think Corviknight mu becomes a bit too hard so yea, Thunder is mendatory here.

Rillaboom mu can be a bit bad but I don't think you can do much more than having a Ferro in Rain teams. Maybe running a PhysDef spread could be an option ? I'm not sure but it could work here

Edited version (The team was already very good so not a lot of changes lol)
https://pokepast.es/4ea7ebbd7b0d8f75

Hey quick question how do I deal with Galarian Zapdos with this team? I really struggle against it. Btw, I still think this is a really good team and its super fun to use.
If you see a Galarian Zapdos, do NOT lead Landorus, as this will cause you to lose a pokemon turn 1. The good thing about Galarian Zapdos is that it will chip itself down fairly quickly, and it is outsped and killed by Barraskewda, Tapu Lele, and Regieleki. If you keep applying pressure and don't give Galarian Zapdos easy switchin opportunities, it can be dealt with. There are many pokemon like this, the way to beat them is by avoiding giving them a good entrance. It's the way of all offenses-- beat them before they can beat you.

TailGlowVM

Now 100% more demonic
Have you considered Explosion instead of Ancient Power on Regieleki? Even with a Timid nature, it does more than Ancient Power to Kyurem and physically defensive Landorus-T, and would allow you to sacrifice it to get one of your breakers in freely, so it should be able to contribute something in any matchup (bar the extremely rare Shedinja.)

Hey ! That's a very cool team and I think that kind of Rain offense works often well rn, especially on ladder.

:pelipper:
I think U-Turn and Roost are the best options for the last moves on Pelipper, even if Weather Ball and Knock Off can be useful. I like Weather Ball a lot and I think it could be considered on the Surf / Hydro Pump slot tho, as opp won't often go on their Sand Pokemon in front of Pelipper (well they'll never do that, unless you revealed Weather Ball and opp knows you don't have a water move which shouldn't happen often).

:barraskewda:
I think Psychic Fangs should always be used over Assurance on Barraskewda as it is often useful especially against Rocky Helmet Buzzwole which can be a problem for Rain teams.
252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole: 180-214 (43 - 51.1%) -- 58.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
You will often use Flip Turn against teams with Slowbro to pressure with Regieleki so yea I think Psychic Fangs is always better here.

:tapu lele:
I think Focus Blast could be considered here. Of course, all of your 4 moves seem to be kinda mendatory here but I think going with Focus Blast over Future Sight could be very interesting especially for Ferrothorn mu. It also lets you kill Bisharp and Kartana without any hazards which is very good. At first I thought Focus Blast could be an option over Thunder but I think Corviknight mu becomes a bit too hard so yea, Thunder is mendatory here.

Rillaboom mu can be a bit bad but I don't think you can do much more than having a Ferro in Rain teams. Maybe running a PhysDef spread could be an option ? I'm not sure but it could work here

Edited version (The team was already very good so not a lot of changes lol)
https://pokepast.es/4ea7ebbd7b0d8f75
The team DOES have issues, as is unavoidable in this metagame. The changes you recommend fix some of those issues, but they create more. I'll address the points one by one.

1. People WILL switch their Sand pokemon in to Pelipper. Sometimes directly, or sometimes they will switch into a pokemon like Toxapex / Galarian Slowking to scout, then switch into their Tyranitar or Hippowdon. If you don't have a real Water STAB other than Weather Ball, it will be far more easily abused. In severl of the Replays posted, Surf was used over Weather Ball and it helped significantly.

2. 252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Buzzwole in Rain: 204-240 (48.8 - 57.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery. Buzzwole is not really an issue, and Liquidation in the rain does more to Buzzwole than Psychic Fangs. Slowbro, meanwhile, can wall Barraskewda forever without Assurance. Sure, we can Flip Turn out on Slowbro, but it easily regenerates, and while we are put in a good position, it would be a much better position if Slowbro was either KOd or so weak that Liquidation fainted it in the Rain, often allowing Barraskewda to win. However, I did put Psychic Fangs as an option on the thread for people who want to better hit Toxapex. That being said, Assurance has overall proved more useful in my experience.

3. Focus Blast would not help in any significant way. It is very easy to chip Bisharp to a percentage where Moonblast will kill, often just an initial entry on hazards is sufficient. Similarly with Kartana, we have many ways to chip and kill it relatively easily. Focus Blast is often not even worth using when you DO have it, as I'd much rather say, go Landorus, U-Turn on Kartana into Tapu Lele for the guarenteed kill rather than risk a 70% move. During laddering with this team, I never once wished I had Focus Blast. Additionally, the Ferrothorn MU is not a problem. Our Ferrothorn stacks hazards on other Ferrothorn, which is a positive situation for us as we have a Rapid Spinner, and the opponent almost always does not. Future Sight is also extremely important to breaking stall. While some stalls do fall to the PeliSkewda core, many need Future Sight support to be broken. Without Future Sight, our stall matchup is significantly worse, to a degree not nearly worth running Focus Blast.

4. If we were to run physically Defensive Ferrothorn, our Rillaboom matchup would only improve by a very small margin, as both Physically Defensive and Specially Defensive Ferrothorn die to CB Superpower after a little chip, and both die to +2 LO Superpower. Furthermore, making Ferrothorn physically defensive would take away our only switchin to Specs Kyurem, making that very common pokemon absolutely destroy our team. On top of that, Choice Specs Dragapult would become a nightmare. I can say for sure that Specially Defensive Ferrothorn is 100% needed on this team.

Overall, I would still recommend using the original version, as I find this version fixes some issues, while making larger and more common issues worse.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the thoughts and ideas, and you are free to test these new sets and prove me wrong.

Have you considered Explosion instead of Ancient Power on Regieleki? Even with a Timid nature, it does more than Ancient Power to Kyurem and physically defensive Landorus-T, and would allow you to sacrifice it to get one of your breakers in freely, so it should be able to contribute something in any matchup (bar the extremely rare Shedinja.)
Interesting idea. I can definitely think of many matchups where Explosion would have been valuable. Being able to KO Landorus-Therian while keeping Regieleki alive is valuable as well, however. I think Explosion is definitely a set to consider.

If you see a Galarian Zapdos, do NOT lead Landorus, as this will cause you to lose a pokemon turn 1. The good thing about Galarian Zapdos is that it will chip itself down fairly quickly, and it is outsped and killed by Barraskewda, Tapu Lele, and Regieleki. If you keep applying pressure and don't give Galarian Zapdos easy switchin opportunities, it can be dealt with. There are many pokemon like this, the way to beat them is by avoiding giving them a good entrance. It's the way of all offenses-- beat them before they can beat you.
Thank you so much, I'll remember to do this!

If you don’t mind elaborating on the major ones?
Sure.

1. With a conventional Pelipper set, Barraskewda becomes the only breaker on the team, making the matchup against Stall, Balance, and Bulky Balance worse while adding very little, as 8-turns of rain is not overall extremely beneficial to the team, with Barraskewda being essentially the only abuser.
2. With non Scarf Lele, our matchup against Offense, particularly Rillaboom Offense, becomes horrible and nearly unwinnable, as Scarf Lele is our greatest asset in these situations.
3. Without Scarf Lele, DD Dragonite becomes extremely threatening, and would probably sweep the team frequently.
4. Without Specs Pelipper, we have no good way of pressuring Heatran, as we rely upon Pelipper switchins to discourage switching into Heatran, since Pelipper can do severe damage to almost every balance team.
5. Without Scarf Lele, Kartana becomes much more threatening, particularly SD sets that we now need to set rain and sack Pelipper to take on.
6. Without Scarf Lele, Dragapult becomes much more threatening, as it now comes in on Lele as well, making our matchup against Dragapult (one of the most commonly used pokemon in the tier) significantly worse.
7. 8 turns of rain doesn't add much, since we only have 1 actual abuser.
8. Pelipper with Choice Specs can pressure Tapu Fini very well. Without it, the opponent is free to preserve Tapu Fini to wall Barraskewda.

I could go on, but I ran out of time and I have to go. DO NOT make Peli conventional or make Lele non scarf.

Sure.

1. With a conventional Pelipper set, Barraskewda becomes the only breaker on the team, making the matchup against Stall, Balance, and Bulky Balance worse while adding very little, as 8-turns of rain is not overall extremely beneficial to the team, with Barraskewda being essentially the only abuser.
2. With non Scarf Lele, our matchup against Offense, particularly Rillaboom Offense, becomes horrible and nearly unwinnable, as Scarf Lele is our greatest asset in these situations.
3. Without Scarf Lele, DD Dragonite becomes extremely threatening, and would probably sweep the team frequently.
4. Without Specs Pelipper, we have no good way of pressuring Heatran, as we rely upon Pelipper switchins to discourage switching into Heatran, since Pelipper can do severe damage to almost every balance team.
5. Without Scarf Lele, Kartana becomes much more threatening, particularly SD sets that we now need to set rain and sack Pelipper to take on.
6. Without Scarf Lele, Dragapult becomes much more threatening, as it now comes in on Lele as well, making our matchup against Dragapult (one of the most commonly used pokemon in the tier) significantly worse.
7. 8 turns of rain doesn't add much, since we only have 1 actual abuser.
8. Pelipper with Choice Specs can pressure Tapu Fini very well. Without it, the opponent is free to preserve Tapu Fini to wall Barraskewda.

I could go on, but I ran out of time and I have to go. DO NOT make Peli conventional or make Lele non scarf.
Awesome. Thanks!!

Absolute fire (as usual).

Just a small detail, wouldn't 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe be a good idea on Pelipper? If you lose Eleki early, having an odd HP number would give you 5 switches into Stealth Rock which could make the difference (unless I'm misunderstanding the calculation behind it)

Have you played any teams with Rillaboom+substitute-bodypress magnezone? That seems to be the single worst matchup, since zone will cause you to lose both your monkey stops; nothing cleanly revenges it behind sub.

Any thought towards using weatherball on landorus?

Have you played any teams with Rillaboom+substitute-bodypress magnezone? That seems to be the single worst matchup, since zone will cause you to lose both your monkey stops; nothing cleanly revenges it behind sub.

Any thought towards using weatherball on landorus?
Storm Zone and I played many games against Magnezone Rillaboom teams. Magnezone can be played around. Bating with Ferrothorn into a Pelipper/Landorus double is a very strong play. Also, keep in mind that Tapu Lele can do well against Magnezone, specifically if you Leech Seed it with Ferrothorn. DO NOT let Magnezone come in for free without getting Leech Seeded or Knocked Off. While Magnezone is somewhat difficult, we have many things to break Substitutes and do massive damage, such as Regieleki, Tapu Lele, Pelipper, and Landorus. You do not need to go Landorus after it kills Ferrothorn. This is honestly not that rough as a matchup, since very few RillaZone teams have removal, and trapping Ferrothorn essentially gives us 3 layers of Spikes, putting the opponent in a difficult position.

P.S. don't run weatherball Landorus, all of its other moves are way better.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. Introduction
  2. Proof of Peak
  3. Team + Description
  4. Team Building Process
  5. Team usage tips
  6. Threat List
  7. Replays
  8. Shout Outs
  9. Importable
  11. Other Teams
  12. Outro

1. INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone! It’s Pinkacross, and I’ve got another team. The metagame has recently been very difficult to build in. The number of failed projects piling up in my builder is large enough to start glitching my computer. However, after hundreds of attempts, an idea finally worked-- a semi-rain team, with Choiced Pelipper and Barraskewda. I wanted to make a team that was unique, unheard of, wacky-- and most of all, broken. Due to OLT (Official Ladder Tournament) going on, many games with this team were public, and viewed by many. The team became so well known during laddering that many tried to create counter teams-- but despite their efforts, this beast of a team managed to dominantly seize #1, crushing many OLTers and top players in the process. I’m proud to present to you my Regieleki Semi-Rain.

2. PROOF OF PEAK

This peak was achieved by Storm Zone and I laddering up on his account. We started around mid 1700s, and using only this team, achieved #1 and boosted our GXE from 86.0% to 87.3%. Prior to contacting Storm Zone, this team performed well for me in testing, getting me from low 1500s to 1800s without any losses.

3. TEAM + DESCRIPTION

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Hurricane

Pelipper is the rain setter and primary breaker of this team. While it’s stats may seem underwhelming, high BP moves like Hurricane combined with the 1.5x boost received on Water moves from Rain makes Pelipper extremely powerful. Even if Pelipper is not needed for breaking, it is often worth keeping around as it’s ability, Drizzle, sets rain to boost the power of Barraskewda’s Water moves and activate Swift Swim, doubling Barraskewda’s speed. Choice Specs are the time of choice on Pelipper to help it break down walls and achieve more OHKOs and 2HKOS. Surf is absolutely necessary as it is Pelipper’s strongest reliable Water STAB move, at 90 BP. Hydro Pump can be run over Surf, with 110 BP but 80% accuracy. It is necessary to run a Water move other than Weather Ball, as Weather Ball turns into a Rock move when a Hippowdon or Tyranitar switches in. Hurricane is Pelipper’s strongest Flying STAB move, and it is 100% accurate in the rain. Hurricane lets Pelipper hit Grass types and bulky Waters such as Toxapex, Slowking, and Slowbro. U-turn is a great move on Pelipper, as it lets Pelipper avoid prediction situations and simply switch out. This is very helpful for bringing in Barraskewda, or perhaps Regieleki if the opponent brings in a bulky Water. Weather Ball is also a very helpful move, giving Pelipper certain OHKOs and 2HKOs not achieved by Surf. Alternatively, you can choose to run Knock Off, which lets Pelipper cripple walls such as Toxapex, Galarian Slowking, and Blissey. Roost can also be used to improve Pelipper’s longevity, allowing it to survive longer particularly when facing bulky teams that seek to chip Pelipper with status and Stealth Rock entries. Pelipper is Modest nature and fully invested in Special Attack to give maximum power. 180 Speed EVs lets Pelipper outpace Crawdaunt by 2 points, letting it outspeed Tapu Fini that speed creep Crawdaunt. The rest is invested into HP for additional bulk.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar in Rain: 169-199 (42.8 - 50.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Weather Ball (100 BP Water) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable in Rain: 352-415 (89.3 - 105.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 175-207 (57.5 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Pelipper in Grassy Terrain: 237-280 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: 720-848 (211.1 - 248.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Pelipper Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 190-225 (55.2 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat

Barraskewda is the main sweeper of this team, and it also functions as speed control, particularly in the rain. Barraskewda is Pelipper’s main partner, as it hits very hard physically while Pelipper hits very hard specially. Choice Band is used to make Barraskewda a more effective breaker, and with very little drawback, as Barraskewda rarely needs to predict when choosing a move. Liquidation is chosen as Barraskewda’s most powerful STAB move, with the Defense drop chance making it a superior choice to Waterfall. Flip Turn is a great swapping move that Barraskewda can freely spam in many matchups. Assurance is a great Dark move. It is 60 BP, but if the opponent has taken damage already (through entry hazards) the power is doubled to 120 BP. This is great, as it OHKOs Slowking and does a lot of damage to Slowbro that switch in (if their Heavy Duty Boots are Knocked Off) and OHKOs Dragapult that think they can tank a hit from Barraskewda. Alternatively, Psychic Fangs can be used to hit Toxapex harder, and have a chance to OHKO Urshifu-R. Lastly, Close Combat is great for hitting Steels like Ferrothorn, Magnezone, and Kartana. Adamant nature is chosen as Barraskewda outspeeds almost everything even without a + Speed nature, and in rain it easily overtakes those few pokemon, making Adamant nature worth it. Maximum Attack and Speed investment help Barraskewda be as strong and fast as possible.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Assurance vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 280-330 (71 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Assurance vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Slowking: 496-584 (125.8 - 148.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Assurance vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragapult: 524-618 (165.2 - 194.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Ferrothorn: 328-388 (93.1 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable in Rain: 289-342 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Garchomp in Rain: 343-405 (96 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Psyshock

Tapu Lele is a great Offense countermeasure for this team. With a Choice Scarf, Tapu Lele can outspeed and OHKO or deal massive damage to many common Offense pokemon, such as Kartana, Bisharp, Rillaboom, Dragapult, Dragonite, and Hydreigon, all while preventing priority with Psychic Terrain. Tapu Lele can also function as a breaker, however, using Future Sight to aid the other team members in breaking down Stall and Bulky Balance. Items such as Life Orbs and Choice Specs do not boost the power of Future Sight after switching out, giving Modest Tapu Lele the strongest Future Sight in the game, even when holding a Choice Scarf. Moonblast is a powerful Fairy move, letting Tapu Lele break teams with a strong STAB that cannot be absorbed in any way. Psyshock is Tapu Lele’s second main STAB, chosen over Psychic since Psyshock hits on the physical side, letting Tapu Lele break Galarian Slowking and Blissey better. Thunder is chosen as a coverage move to hit Corviknight, Slowking, and occasionally Heatran. Thunder is also 100% accurate in Rain, making it a superior choice to Thunderbolt on this team. Tapu Lele runs Modest, as Timid Scarf Tapu Lele does not hit any extremely common speed tiers. However, you can run Timid to outspeed or tie other Scarf Tapu Lele, and Scarf Kyurem. Max Special Attack and Speed investment is chosen to make Tapu Lele fast enough to outspeed threats such as Zeraora and Dragapult with a Choice Scarf, while having enough power to effectively break.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp in Psychic Terrain: 321-378 (89.9 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex in Psychic Terrain: 314-372 (103.2 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Future Sight vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana in Psychic Terrain: 333-392 (128.5 - 151.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 229-270 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Kartana: 203-239 (78.3 - 92.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Thunder vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Corviknight: 212-250 (53 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey in Psychic Terrain: 339-399 (47.4 - 55.8%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Electro Ball
- Rapid Spin

- Ancient Power

Regieleki is the removal and speed control of this team, though it can also function as a sweeper if the opponent does not carefully guard their Electric immunity. Heavy Duty Boots are chosen as the item for Regieleki so that it can repeatedly enter on Stealth Rocks, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes without harm, and often Rapid Spin them away in the process. Heavy Duty Boots also keep Regieleki at high health, often allowing it to take one hit, which is very important as Regieleki is quite frail. Volt Switch is Regieleki’s most important attack, and a strong Electric STAB move. Regieleki frequently uses Volt Switch to swap out while damaging the pokemon in front of it, as Regieleki outspeeds the entire tier, barring a few strange sets. Electro Ball is chosen over Thunderbolt on this set because it does more damage to walls, getting a guaranteed OHKO on specially defensive Toxapex, having a 120 BP against Clefable, and a 150 BP against Slowking, Slowbro, Galarian Slowking, Reuniclus, and Ferrothorn. Electro Ball is anywhere from 60 to 150 base power depending on the speed of the foe. On a Tapu Koko, the BP is 60. On a Heatran, the BP is 80. On a Clefable, the BP is 120, and on a Toxapex the BP is 150. Beware, however, as different sets can yield different Electro Ball damage outputs. A maximum speed invested Melmetal takes 120 BP from Electro Ball, whereas a Speed uninvested Melmetal takes 150 BP. Electro Ball also increases in power after a Speed boost from Rapid Spin. This lets Regieleki be a threatening breaker, able to stop CM Clefable and Reuniclus before they get a chance to set up. Rapid Spin is extremely helpful, letting Regieleki remove hazards and boost its speed. Often clicking Rapid Spin is worth sacking Regieleki, if it sufficiently helps the other members of the team win. Ancient Power is the chosen Ground coverage here. Ancient Power hits Landorus-Therian neutrally, and was chosen over Round or Swift because it hits Kyurem super effectively, and has a shot at omni boosting Regieleki (raising all stats by 1). Regieleki’s EVs and Timid Nature allow it to outspeed Scarf base 110 Speed Pokemon, letting Regieleki notably outspeed Scarf Latios, Scarf Kartana, and Scarf Landorus-Therian. Special Attack is maximum invested to give a maximum power output, and the rest is in HP for additional bulk.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 267-315 (67.7 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80+ SpD Assault Vest Slowking-Galar: 160-189 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Regieleki: 274-325 (85.3 - 101.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 80 HP / 4 SpD Regieleki: 280-330 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 344-408 (113.1 - 134.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Transistor Regieleki Electro Ball (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Slowking: 414-488 (105 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Regieleki Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 46-55 (12 - 14.4%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

- Toxic / Knock Off

Landorus is the Stealth Rock setter, primary Ground immunity, and Electric immunity of the team. Landorus is also the most common lead for this team. Leftovers are chosen to help Landorus have as much longevity as possible, as Landorus frequently needs to come in several times per game. Stealth Rock is a necessary move for every hazard stack, helping to rack up residual damage. Earthquake is Landorus’ main STAB Ground move, allowing it to force out Heatran, Tapu Koko, and occasionally Toxapex. U-turn is a great switching move that helps Landorus safely exit the battlefield while dealing damage, and is used more often than switching out in my experience. For the last slot, Toxic is very helpful for poisoning opposing pokemon, particularly Ground types such as Hippowdown, Garchomp, and other Landorus-Therian, which helps wear them down for Regieleki. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to remove items and be in a better situation against Dragapult leads. Landorus is mainly invested in HP and Special Defense, to make it a better check for Tapu Koko, Zapdos, and Heatran, as well as being able to reliably live hits from Specs Tapu Lele and Specs Dragapult from full. However, the 104 Defense investment guarantees that Landorus lives a +1 Life Orb Grassy Glide from Rillaboom after taking Rocks damage. Landorus has a 28 IV in speed so it can comfortably outspeed uninvested Heatran, while still reliably underspeeding other Landorus-Therian leads, so it can slow U-turn out.

NOTABLE CALCS:

+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 248 HP / 104 Def Landorus-Therian in Grassy Terrain: 302-356 (79.2 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian in Psychic Terrain: 262-309 (68.7 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Heatran Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 124-147 (32.5 - 38.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and trapping damage

0 Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 568-672 (147.1 - 174%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 97-115 (25.4 - 30.1%) -- 0.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Zapdos Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 156+ SpD Landorus-Therian: 132-156 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- 58.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes

Ferrothorn is the Spikes setter and the check to Kyurem and Tapu Lele. Leftovers are chosen to give Ferrothorn as much longevity as possible, and reliably tank at least 2 hits from Specs Kyurem from full. That being said, if you see a lot of Magnezone on the ladder, you could swap to Shed Shell if you see fit. Spikes is the most important move this Ferrothorn carries. By setting up hazards against the opposing team, you can chip down walls as they enter, particularly hazard vulnerable pokemon like Toxapex and Galarian Slowking that annoy Pelipper and Barraskewda. Keep in mind that the first layer of Spikes does 12.5% damage, having two layers deals 16.67% damage, and having three layers deals 25% damage. Knock Off is another very important move for Ferrothorn. With Knock Off, Ferrothorn can remove items, most notably Heavy Duty Boots, to aid in stacking hazards and crippling the opponent’s team. Leech Seed is another great tool at Ferrothorn’s disposal. By using Leech Seed, Ferrothorn can force out almost every pokemon in the tier, notably Corviknight. To get up a Spike on a Corviknight, you can Spike, Knock Off as they are forced to Defog, set another Spike, then go for Leech Seed, and repeat the process of Spiking until Corviknight is forced to Roost or switch out. This works with all Defoggers, except for a few rare cases. Lastly, Iron Head is on this Ferrothorn to reliably check Calm Mind Clefable and Substitute Kyurem, while also providing a decently strong STAB move to damage pokemon like Tapu Fini. Both Calm Mind Clefable and Substitute Kyurem can easily stall out Gyro Ball, making this the superior option. Ferrothorn is maximum invested in HP and Special Defense so it can reliably check Kyurem and Tapu Lele, as well as tank hits from Choice Specs Dragapult and other Ghost types. 8 Speed EVs are added so Ferrothorn can outspeed other Ferrothorn, letting it set up Spikes before it is Body Pressed to death.

NOTABLE CALCS:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 157-186 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Psychic Terrain: 93-110 (26.4 - 31.3%) -- 21.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 106-126 (30.1 - 35.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4. TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

I started with my initial core of Choice Specs Pelipper and Choice Band Barraskewda.

I knew I struggled against Toxapex, but I wanted to avoid adding a passive Future Sight user like Slowbro or Slowking, so I added a Tapu Lele. While the set I initially chose was Heavy Duty Boots, I later changed it to be Scarf.

I knew I planned to have a hazard stack, and I’d need offensive removal. I chose Regieleki for being great speed control, particularly being able to outspeed Scarf Kartana which currently threatened me greatly, and for its ability to lure Ground types that Pelipper and Barraskewda could come in on.

I needed an electric immunity and a Stealth Rocker, so I chose the option that fit best into offensive teams: Landorus-Therian. Unlike Garchomp or Hippowdon, Landorus has U-turn, often making it the best choice for offensive hazard stacks.

I needed to add a spike setter, and I lost hard to Kyurem and Tapu Lele, making Ferrothorn the obvious choice. It also added a more reliable Knock Off user to the team, which was appreciated.

5. TEAM USAGE TIPS

1. Don’t sack Pelipper unless you won’t need rain late game. Barraskewda isn’t the team’s only speed control, so Pelipper often is worth sacking, but be careful not to sack the Drizzle pokemon when you need it.
  2. Play aggressively and make reads. This is a standard rule for offense, and it applies to this team. People won’t ALWAYS go into their Ground type when Regieleki is in, especially if you’ve doubled into Pelipper in the past. Call out when people will switch in or swap out-- often just one good read is enough to be put in a winning position.
  3. Use Landorus + Ferrothorn to set hazards on Corviknight. Between Landorus Stealth Rock and Ferrothorn Spikes, you have enough PP to stall out Corviknight’s Defog. Set Rocks, swap into Ferrothorn, set Spikes, swap back into Landorus. and continue on like this.
  4. Understand Electro Ball. It has a minimum PP of 40 (although usually it is a minimum of 60, as the only exception to this rule being faster pokemon such as a faster Regieleki) and a maximum PP of 150, based on the opponent’s speed stat. Clicking Rapid Spin DOES NOT boost the power of Electro Ball by 1.5x, though it often does increase the power. Opponent speed stat boosts will often lower the power of Electro Ball. Items such as Choice Scarf or Lagging Tail DO impact the damage output of Electro Ball. Possible damage outputs for Electro Ball are 40, 60, 80, 120, and 150.
  5. Keep Ferrothorn and/or Landorus healthy when facing a Rillaboom. Rillaboom is a big threat, and you’ll regret it if you don’t save a resist to Grassy Glide. However, if you chip Rillaboom and have an opportunity to stack spikes, often this is worth sacking Ferrothorn, as you can limit Rillaboom to entering once or twice more.
  6. Rapid Spin is very valuable, don’t sack Regieleki if you need it alive to spin. On the flip side, often using Rapid Spin is it, even if Regieleki dies, if you are removing hazards that will allow your remaining pokemon to win.
  7. When facing HO that has a healthy Ground type such as Garchomp or Landorus, often Regieleki is a good sack when in need-- your opponent won’t sack their Ground when Regieleki is on the field.
  8. Utilize Tapu Lele frequently when facing Offense and HO, it is often the best tool against these teams.
  9. Check out the Replay section to see how Storm Zone and I play the team. Many of the replays show optimal or near optimal play of the team.

6. THREAT LIST

Specs Kyurem is the main issue, as Ferrothorn can fairly easily deal with Substitute variants. Try to not lead Landorus against Kyurem teams, as to avoid instantly being put in a bad spot. Lead something that can force it out, like Barraskewda, Ferrothorn, or Tapu Lele. If it doesn’t lead, keep Ferrothorn healthy to tank at least one hit and either use Spikes or Iron Head.

Individually, these pokemon are not extremely problematic. However, the combination of a strong Water resist like Toxapex, a hard Future Sight blocker like Jirachi, and solid removal such as Corviknight, is essentially the end. There is nothing you can do against a core such as this-- try to Knock Off as much as possible, pressure switches with Barraskewda, and utilize Regieleki to bait in Ground types to get in your Breakers. It takes a very specific team to wall this offense-- we only saw one that could while laddering, which was specifically designed as a counterteam. We faced around 50 fat teams on the ladder, and beat all but one of them. Generally speaking, fat is not an issue at all, but this specific combination is deadly.

Grassy Glide outspeeds and OHKOs essentially the whole team bar Landorus and Ferrothorn. Keep Ferrothorn alive when facing Rillaboom, and/or pressure Rillaboom with hazards, limiting the amount of times it can enter. Storm Zone and I beat many Rillaboom offenses while laddering, but you must be wary.

A less threatening version of Rillaboom. It has no priority, and it can be outsped by Regieleki and Barraskewda in the rain, even if Scarf. If not Scarf, it is also outsped by Tapu Lele. Not a huge issue, but as Ferrothorn is the only Grass resist, you need to be careful.

7. REPLAYS

All of the following battles were done on Storm Zone’s account, with me ghosting. This will give you a good balance of his aggressive reads and my conservative caution. You need both to play this team well at a top level.

Battle that got us to 2120: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377959427-0pidcqujilkluyr20h3f7sz1lks8r0xpw
Vs Hawlucha + Kartana Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375834905
Vs Rillaboom + Kartana Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374581750
Pressuring Choice Specs Kyurem: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375036619-29cjmg4nxd9va6jqy55mrtd2wt3fmbvpw
Vs Kart + Zone Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374997665-1a97qs52ci3cp4kdkgz8kqk0oeyy8flpw
Vs Tace: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374588517-yis87ujng9rs7sso5u17t7x6d699vs5pw
Vs Tace Bulky Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374562927-rdzdoyj534iv1cr4iyxoa53p5tb6af8pw
Vs Urshi-R Bulky Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374554063-ynoxa6s8ar3sn3opvfewv27nzwrq7uppw
Vs Rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374466850-gew3utovfv4pm754fff69p7syx7ny34pw
Barraskewda sweep without Rain: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374456215-dpvxmkzschd0ihblkmjor7inx27qq21pw
Regieleki Ancient Power omniboost flex: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374449101-dzqdzx108wzd6sx43sc05m5195q4d8fpw
Lele sweeps Rillaboom Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1374303771-nurhihsilkyas3ru13w4hwzo36dxs27pw
Destroying Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1373810766-aah2h50o2w4ck8ea8xgyu9z4evnk4odpw
Speedrunning Empo Bulky Balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375613787-wejtwuqc5oryuuhi0igzck5197b2g8epw
Assurance Barraskewda saves a game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377788399-b7vzrbkxhjy5mw7bdzlncspibuac0hcpw
Vs Xatu Stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377879751-w15s4eokr75g2fg6du4njft649usq12pw
Vs RillaKart + Urshi-R Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377893365-5preqs41k20txdyp09p0k4i41yqeee9pw
Vs Top Ladder Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1377917676-67h7znhsutpg1mg9rqfviipmcqye46spw
Lele Thunder comes in clutch: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375936110
Vs Specs Kyurem + Aegislash Offense: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1375027277

8. SHOUT OUTS

Huge shout outs to Storm Zone for helping test the team, peaking, and helping make adjustments to sets. It’s been great working as his partner to provide the tier with top level creative teams. Also thanks to Slainey for helping with testing and providing comedic relief.

9. IMPORTABLE

I’ve been getting a lot of questions about how to teambuild, so I decided to make a quick guide to get people on the right track. The steps will be black and the commentary will be in red. Here are the steps I go through when building a team:

1. Pick a core/pokemon.
This is the step where you decide what you want to build around. For this team, my initial core was Choice Specs Pelipper + Choice Band Barraskewda.

2. Pick a playstyle.
Certain playstyles suit certain pokemon better. You don’t want to make an Alakazam stall, for instance. The team can branch out at this point, and several versions can be made. Maybe the core/pokemon you selected works on more than 1 playstyle.

This is where you find partners that work well with the core. For this team, I knew that Tapu Lele would be a good partner for my rain core, since it was able to break bulky waters like Toxapex that Pelipper and Barraskewda struggle with, while also being able to set Future Sight to let Barraskewda and Pelipper break.

You may have this implemented already, and if so, this step can be skipped. If not, this is a very important step as almost every team needs hazards and removal. Due to the presence of Heavy Duty Boots, some teams can skip out on hazards. It is almost never a good choice to skip out on removal. The more offensive your team is, the more flimsy your removal can be, of course depending on how weak your team is to hazards. Bulky teams need very solid hazard removal, like a Corviknight. A more offensive build may use a defogger like Scarf Kartana. If your team is bulky and weak to hazards, you need solid and consistent removal. If your team is offensive and good against hazards, you can afford flimsy removal or even no removal at all. In this case, I added Regieleki as hazard control, and a Landorus-T + Ferrothorn core to set Stealth Rocks and Spikes.

5. Patch up holes.
At this stage you likely won’t have too many slots left. See what pokemon you lose to, and add something that fixes the issue. Remember that this choice should not only fix a problem, but also add to the functionality of a team. For example, if you lack a Weavile check, and you’re running an HO build, a Scarf Tapu Fini would be a much better addition than a Corviknight, even though they both fix the problem.

Building can be very difficult, especially when using creative pokemon. My advice is this: Make teams that are great against most things, rather than good against everything. You can’t cover every playstyle, or every set, or every team. If you try, you’ll end up making mediocre teams that don’t win, but rather focus on not losing. It’s better to win 9/10 matchups and get destroyed in the one loss than to have a mediocre team that wins 6/10 matchups. If you only remember one thing from this whole guide, remember this: Teams that just “don’t lose” to anything often don’t beat anything either.

6. Test.
Test multiple versions, or one version, but testing is vital. Even after years of building I can’t tell if what looks good on paper will be good in practice, and vice versa.

7. Repeat steps.
This is an iterative process, and you may have to redo these steps many times until you get the team you want. This semirain team was my first success in 67 building attempts. That being said, you may have a dead end building project that just isn’t worth it. Vibrava will never work in OU. At times like this, choose a new project.

11. OTHER TEAMS

Flame Charge Blacephalon Balance - Peaked #1: POSSIBLY OUTDATED DUE TO METAGAME CHANGES

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/blacephalon’s-disco-party-peaked-1-2117-ft-flame-charge-blacephalon.3678209/

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/raichu-alola-offense-peaked-5-2092.3675251/

OR

Hail Offense- Peaked #1: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ft-alolan-sandslash-alolan-ninetales.3681004/

12. OUTRO

Thanks to anyone who read this thread! I know OLT is currently going on, so hopefully this can help someone qualify (or at least crush some of the people using stall :p). Despite this meta being incredibly difficult to build in, and exponentially harder to build creatively in, don’t give up. As always, feel free to leave a comment, and don't be afraid to message me on Smogon or on PS (I'm always on my main account, Pinkacross) if you have a creative teambuilding idea! Keep being creative and having fun!
Will the team still be good if I use scizor over ferro? I lose hazards, smth rain appreciates, but I get a pivot that can switch in to kyurem and lele better, and can threaten rilla

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1. Introduction
  2. Proof of Peak
  3. Team + Description
  4. Team Building Process
  5. Team usage tips
  6. Threat List
  7. Replays
  8. Shout Outs
  9. Importable
  11. Other Teams
  12. Outro

1. INTRODUCTION

2. PROOF OF PEAK

3. TEAM + DESCRIPTION

Pelipper @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Hurricane

NOTABLE CALCS:

Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat

NOTABLE CALCS:

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Moonblast
- Thunder
- Psyshock

NOTABLE CALCS:

Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Electro Ball
- Rapid Spin

- Ancient Power

NOTABLE CALCS:

Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn

- Toxic / Knock Off

NOTABLE CALCS:

Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Spikes

NOTABLE CALCS:

4. TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

5. TEAM USAGE TIPS

6. THREAT LIST

7. REPLAYS

8. SHOUT OUTS

9. IMPORTABLE

1. Pick a core/pokemon.

2. Pick a playstyle.

5. Patch up holes.

6. Test.

7. Repeat steps.

11. OTHER TEAMS

OR

12. OUTRO

dragon dancing dragapult is kinda a threat

Will the team still be good if I use scizor over ferro? I lose hazards, smth rain appreciates, but I get a pivot that can switch in to kyurem and lele better, and can threaten rilla
Scizor is a change I considered during the testing phase. However, losing hazards is a very big detriment for this team. Furthermore, without Ferrothorn, the team gets Leech Seeded on for free by opposing Ferrothorn. Perhaps largest of all, without Ferrothorn, Urshifu-Rapid-Strike clicks Surging Strikes for free on the team. Overall, I do not find this change worth it, but it can improve some matchups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)