RED: OU Sandstorm Offense

Red

Hello fellow Smogonites! Rainy days inside a hotel, and the Showdown server is down - what better time to sit down and make a team? After watching a few people utilize Sand and master it to a strong extent, I felt inspired to make an offensive Sand team of my own. It's a typical sand team, with a few interesting sets - I opted for the ubiquitous Tyranitar lead, with supporting attackers. I'm not exactly trying to revolutionize the Sand meta, but I do want to introduce some new versatility into the strategy that I want to see adapted into other teams possibly. The name actually has no significance to the team (as if any do ;D), but I decided to name the team and the members after one of my favorite artists. Hope you enjoy, and whether you're telling me my nicknames suck or my team sucks, all feedback and criticism will be taken into consideration and is greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking! Without further ado... I present: Red.

TeamBuilding

I started with Tyranitar and Scizor, as I knew I was going to make a Sand-based team; however, at this point I wasn't sure whether I wanted to go for an offensive or stall-focused team, so I opted for the essential Tyranitar, and added Scizor as a very versatile threat to any team.

I then added Terrakion and Lucario, two more threats that decided that my team would be an offensive Sand team. Both of these Pokemon perform very well in Sand; Terrakion is a very standard Sand member, but I decided to also add Lucario for the sake of versatility in the team.

Gliscor was then added into the team, as I lacked a physically bulkier Pokemon, and status for that matter. Gliscor performs very well individually in almost any team, so I decided it would be a good fit for a Sand team – he's also incredibly fun to use and induces a lot of rage into whoever I'm facing.

To finalize the team, I decided to add another wall – seeing as I lacked a strong specially defensive wall, I decided to go for Skarmory. It also serves as my sole entry-hazard setter, and if I feel the enemy has a threat to deal with Tyranitar as a lead (e.g. Weavile), then I'll usually send in Skarmory.

TheTeam

Fearless (Tyranitar) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk Rash Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Compulsory. Tyranitar is the Ninetales of the Sand teams, whose main purpose is to set up and maintain sandstorm. As predictable as it is, I usually lead with Tyranitar unless they have a very strong threat to him, such as Breloom or Weavile – in that case, I'll lead with Skarmory. Tyranitar is the only Pokemon on my team with Stealth Rock, so that will usually be its first priority after being sent in if there are offensive threats on the enemy team that have exploitable SR weaknesses such as Volcarona or Dragonite. I opted to go for a bulky specially-offensive set contrary to the typical Tyranitar set to check would-be threats such as Scizor, so it can be disposed of with Fire Blast.

Twenty-Two (Scizor) (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Scizor is my main scouter and serves as a strong pivot on the team; with a standard Choice Band set and priority Bullet Punch, it helps check various threats to sand teams, notably Weavile and Terrakion. U-Turn is a very standard scouting move and serves as Scizor's Bug STAB, as well as helps check the likes of Lati@s or Mew who may attempt to set-up on the team. Pursuit also helps trap other Psychics, and Superpower helps deal with Pokemon such as other Scizors and other various Steel-types like Lucario or Ferrothorn.

The Last Time (Terrakion) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

Part two of my offensive core: Terrakion serves as the bane of many other teams and very standard on Sand teams. It serves as another possible check to Pokemon such as Celebi with X-Scissor, and with Choice Band, packs a huge punch with STAB Close Combat. Earthquake is part of the set to check other Tyranitars and is a compulsory coverage move. Stone Edge serves as Terrakion's Rock STAB and helps hits Flying-types such as Skarmory or Dragonite that might otherwise pose a threat to the team.

Back to December (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed

Part three of my offensive core, Lucario serves as my setup-sweeper equipped with Swords Dance. The power of Lucario after just one Swords Dance is immense – in tandem with Life Orb, I've managed to single-handedly sweep teams with just this Pokemon. With Close Combat and Crunch being notorious for being neutrally unresisted except for two Pokemon (Heracross and Toxicroak), and with Steel being a lackluster attacking type, I felt those were the only two offensive moves alongside Extremespeed for priority. Lucario is usually my early-game sweeper that opens a path for Terrakion or Scizor to clean up after Lucario's knocked out (if he hasn't knocked out the whole team already, that is).

Safe and Sound (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Ice Fang
- Protect

Gliscor's main purpose on my team is to soak up physical damage and sustain it off with Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, as well as cripple enemy Pokemon with Toxic. It also has the only other Ice-type move on my team aside from Tyranitar's unexpected Ice Beam which helps check the ubiquitous Landorus-T, other Gliscors, and dragons such as Salamence or Dragonite, which could otherwise pose a threat to my team. In addition, Ice Fang helps hit Grass-types such as Breloom or Celebi who would usually see a Gliscor as an opportunity to setup, especially Poison Heal variants of Breloom.

Haunted (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Skarmory serves as my Spikes-setter and my backup lead in case the opposing team has a hard-check to Tyranitar and in that case will attempt to get off at least two Spikes before it faints. Whirlwind is added into the set for fazing anyone who may be trying to set-up on it, while Brave Bird ensures it won't be screwed if Taunted. I didn't opt for Stealth Rock on this set as I believe Tyranitar will get SR set up more often than not, and I wanted this set to act more than just a suicide lead as its my only Pokemon that can reliably soak up special attacks. Speaking of, I went for a specially-defensive set as I already had a defensive wall in Gliscor and needed something to better counter specially-offensive water types – I am iffy about this Pokemon at the moment and am willing to take suggestions on replacing it.

ThreatList
Coming soon – help on this section would be greatly appreciated.

ClosingWords
In the end, this team was made to have fun as its primary objective with a side of kick-ass. I realize it isn't the most balanced team, but I'm okay with that. The strategy seems to have been working out well so far, but I feel like the sets I'm using on some of them are rather ineffective, so help in that area would be greatly appreciated. In addition, I do feel the team composition is rather lacking; I'm really looking for feedback and help on optimizing that. Thanks a lot for looking – good luck on the battlefield.

Importable

Threat list will be scarfed Kyurem-B's with Ice Beam(any ice pokemon really that is faster than you) And you know those annoying rain teams?

water fighting keldeo is something to watch out for...

Sorry, but never liked weather teams, felt they weren't diverse enough to handle a really good double screener team, but I want to change something to a Stoutland, or Diglett, as a revenge killer, I'm not sure if Stoutland is that good of an option, but try him, and you might not like this, but I really would like to see a Regirock or steel on that team!

Any tanks would be welcome!

But overall this is pretty solid

Yeah, a cloister with those icicle spears would OHKO of pokemon on that team!

Last edited by a moderator:

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tyranitar dies and you die along with it. Lose the weather war and you lose. This team is just WAY too dependent on Sandstorm, and basically it's tyranitar/skarmory + 4 physical sweepers who aren't damaged by sand.Youlose to stall; Skarmory can set up on every single one of your Pokemon and the ones that actually threaten him (ala choice band terra) he can pHaze away, roost off the taken damage and proceed to set up hazards. Your Tyranitar set is.. bizarre. It's too bulky to use a Focus Sash.

Other than losing to stall, you're also Lati@s weak. They outspeed every single member of your team (including Terrakion) and can threaten you with heavy Draco Meteors. Your only DM resist (Lucario doesn't count) is Skarmory which takes like what, 50%? Not to say he's taken down by HP Fire which is pretty common on Lati@s. Terrakion loses to Psyshock (if they carry it); otherwise they 2HKO with Surf, and your Tyranitar can't threaten them.

The changes I would suggest are using specially defensive tyranitar; it counters Lati@s hard and stops weather starters in their tracks, including Politoed. Although you have to play smart with it, since a scald burn will hinder you.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sassy 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
Crunch - Pursuit - Stealth Rock - Ice Beam/Fire Blast

Tyranitar can never beat Scizor as U-Turn and Bullet Punch are overkill and do over 80% if not OHKO it right away, so carrying Fire Blast specifically for Scizor isn't really going to do all that good imo. I guess you carry Ice Beam on Tyranitar to lure things like Gliscor/Lando-T switch ins, which is pretty awesome, so you can go for that on the last slot.

hey there ascend, nice team you have there.

your team is terribly weak to water spam under rain, particularly from the likes of keldeo and politoed. they'll find many oppurtunities to come in and fire off hydro pumps. skarmory dosen't really bring much to your team, other than yet another dragon resist. gliscor can take outrage fairly effectively, and ttar can trap the lati@s who try to draco spam(if you change to the spdef set like i recommend later on in this post). i'd like to recommend running pivot latias > skarmory. latias is able to check keldeo and politoed effectively, killing their momentum and forcing them to switch. it's also able to counter rotom-w who can really hurt this team if it runs will o wisp.

tbh you should run spdef ttar > your current ttar, as you'll find yourself weak to draco spam from the lati@s. with the spdef set, you can effectively tank a draco meteor and trap the lati@s making it easier for terrakion or lucario to sweep.

now, your team dosen't have a scarfer, which could be problematic if you face things such as +1 gyarados or +1 dnite, who do a number to your team. i'd like to reccomend running scarf rotom-w > scizor. scizor has an extremely similiar role to that of terrakion's, and ttar is generally a better trapper due to it's superior bulk. bulky dd gyarados can come in on a pursuit, bullet punch or superpower and set up. afterwards, it does a lot of damage. similiar things such as dnite will be able to set up if you're locked into the wrong move. rotom-w can revenge +1 gyarados and other things such as +1 dnite, as well as being an extra check to politoed and keldeo should latias go down.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SAtk / 120 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)