READ ME: Rules & Simple Questions - SUBMISSIONS CLOSED

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Yeah coding does take time though (especially because I have to deal with real life too). If anyone knows JavaScript and wants to start helping, go for it! It can definitely be confusing but I'd be happy to help. If you don't know JavaScript, go ahead and learn it! There are plenty of resources online and that's how I taught myself :]

But yeah there's a bunch of stuff I want to code right now because everything's looking really cool, but I still need to finish some previous tasks because I haven't actually been at a computer for a solid week now, only my phone. But to everyone with a meta, hang in there!

I'm new to Smogon so bear with me if this isn't the right place to ask this. What is the reason why there aren't any Tiers below PU? There are many Pokemon in PU that aren't viable in the tier (including my two all-time favorite Pokemon) so lower Tiers where those Pokemon can be viably used would be the logical solution.

I'm new to Smogon so bear with me if this isn't the right place to ask this. What is the reason why there aren't any Tiers below PU? There are many Pokemon in PU that aren't viable in the tier (including my two all-time favorite Pokemon) so lower Tiers where those Pokemon can be viably used would be the logical solution.
Well, there was FU awhile back. However, anything below that would be just too small of a Pokemon group to use, so it doesn't seem logical to keep on going.

Well, there was FU awhile back. However, anything below that would be just too small of a Pokemon group to use, so it doesn't seem logical to keep on going.
Looking through the thread, I saw that the main reason why it isn't official (or even an Other Metagame) is that there was no user interest in it. Is lack of user interest the main reason why Other Metagames die? What are the reasons for Other Metagames to be unsuccessful?

Looking through the thread, I saw that the main reason why it isn't official (or even an Other Metagame) is that there was no user interest in it. Is lack of user interest the main reason why Other Metagames die? What are the reasons for Other Metagames to be unsuccessful?
Well, yes, pretty much. Without interest, thread activity dies down and it'll be sent to the archives. Some OMs are just unsuccessful because people aren't fans of the idea, or because the OM is just posted at the same time as something that's really popular, drawing activity away from the thread. There's no set reason why OMs die out, it's all up to the community.

Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I would like to know if there is a simple way to create your own metagame similar to the monthly metagames that are made for other fandoms such as the Mario or Rick&Morty games. Basically I would like it to be like a random battle but preset moves for specific pokemon to adhere to the fandom I want to base it off of. Is that even allowed to make your own and play it on a new pokemoshowdown server? Any help would be appreciated, thank you :D

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I would like to know if there is a simple way to create your own metagame similar to the monthly metagames that are made for other fandoms such as the Mario or Rick&Morty games. Basically I would like it to be like a random battle but preset moves for specific pokemon to adhere to the fandom I want to base it off of. Is that even allowed to make your own and play it on a new pokemoshowdown server? Any help would be appreciated, thank you :D
There is no simple way to create these metagames, as they involve a lot of coding due to each individual set and mechanic introduced within them. On top of this, you would need to create your own server to host it on, not too difficult to set up, but keeping it up 24/7 and constantly resolving bugs can be issues. A guide to creating your own server can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/sim/faq. Not exactly an easy task to create your own server and host a "seasonal-like" metagame, however, it is possible.

If you already have an idea, you could also make an OM Submission to make a Pet Mod. I can't guarantee it would get approved, but having a thread would get more exposure for coding and hosting help.

I don't know if Random Battle is considered an OM but I had no idea where to post this lol.

Is there anywhere that I can easily view the data Random Battles uses to generate sets and levels? I want to look at the possible sets that it pulls from. I skulked around the GitHub at one point to no avail, but I probably just missed it.

I don't know if Random Battle is considered an OM but I had no idea where to post this lol.

Is there anywhere that I can easily view the data Random Battles uses to generate sets and levels? I want to look at the possible sets that it pulls from. I skulked around the GitHub at one point to no avail, but I probably just missed it.
Moves are here and set generator is here.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad

You can PM TIbot ".randbat(s)/rand(d)ubs [pokemon]" for possible moves, though I can't help with items.
e: ninja'd

Is there a meta where you can only use pokemon that have been starters & their evos?
Could I make one?
Hi peaswar! This question fits better in the Simple Questions thread.

To answer, you could submit it, but I doubt it has a very high chance of being approved.

e: also, you can't submit until you have 20 posts in the OM subforum

imas edit- moved to sqsa thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, in PS forums, the name of the thread for SQSA is "Simple Questions Simple Answers" and while PS gets a lot of uninformed threads posted, the sqsa thread gets a ton of activity with new users asking questions there. I think having simple questions in the thread title might make it a bit more clear that they can/should ask questions here, at least more so than SQSA would at first glance, since they may not know what it stands for. I took the liberty of changing SQSA -> Simple Questions because it's a rather minor change and it shouldn't be doing any harm (might just do some good if I'm right, actually). I hope I'm not stepping on any toes! Sorry, if I did.

tl;dr, I changed title from: "READ ME: Rules & SQSA" to "READ ME: Rules & Simple Questions"

So I'm basically just starting to get into the competitive scene, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.
Hi Joshisabrony, welcome to Smogon!

The forum you're currently in is actually for what you might call "mods" of competitive Pokemon that alter game mechanics, move and ability distributions, etc. If you'd like to get into Smogon as a whole, I would recommend reading this intro to competitive play. Smogon divides Pokemon into tiers based on usage on the simulator Pokemon Showdown, though Pokemon are sometimes banned if they prove too much for a given tier to handle. There are different forums for each tier: OU, UU, RU, NU, and PU are all official tiers, as is Ubers, which primarily comprises Pokemon banned from OU. We also have Little Cup for unevolved Pokemon and Doubles OU, which is exactly what it sounds like. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the threads labeled like this in other forums, or simply come to me if you need any help. You can also check out our strategy Pokedex with analyses of each Pokemon in their respective tier.

Thanks so much, and enjoy your stay!

Is there any format for "breedable only" Pokemon? I know formats like OU are based on usage, but I like being able to play Pokemon that I breed myself without the ubers which are caught only.

I like doubles VGC but it felt like Worlds last year, 80% of the teams used the exact same 6 Pokemon (exaggeration, but top8, there was a breakdown that all 8 brought LandoT, 7/8 brought Thunderous, etc.. This year almost everyone brings double primals. It is an insanely restrictive meta due to their innate power. When legendaries are removed, yes there are breedable mons that filter up to the top slots, but the meta becomes much less restrictive.

So, as I asked above, is there any format for this? And if no, what format would be closest for me to use my laboriously bred mons where they won't be instantly outclassed by legendaries, or restricted by usage?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)