Re: Hail and Slush Rush in SS NU

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I don't have a stake in this but as the current usage stats guy I'm going to put Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash in NUBL on February 1st if Slush Rush is still NUBL at the time, because they're actually functionally banned too. Doesn't make any sense to have them "legal" with zero possibility to be used in three formats that have usage data provided. It's like Unown in 2018/2019 VGC all over again; TPCi take notes!

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been watching over and seeing that this Slush Rush ban has had some pretty heated discussion. While I'm far from having the same noteriety as the rest of you guys, I wanted to slide my input in because I love the community & I think it's an important conversation to have.

To be clear, I'm a passionate ZU community member, so my biases are here. With that being said, Alolan Sandslash being banned is not what I'm worried about. In a few days, I'll probably have moved on and found new fun Pokémon to slap onto every team. That's fine, and if NU wants Alolan Sandslash banned, I won't lose sleep over it.

In the context of major tiering decisions though, banning an ability has always been on the lower end of the priorities. The only abilities that consistently get banned are weather-setting abilities, because of their ability to facilitate unbalanced breakers. Nobody's going to deny that Alolan Sandslash under Hail is really good, but is Alolan Sandslash's dominance not a product of a playstyle that was banned up until a few months ago? The last time we've really seen a major ban in this fashion was BW OU's Sand Rush ban ~ and as we know, that tier is notorious for its controversial tiering decisions.

Regardless of how you feel about the ban, it's difficult to deny that the rollout of the decision has started controversy. To be clear, NU does not hold all responsibility to look out for the lower tiers. Despite this, to have zero conversation until AFTER the announcement is in poor taste. When Light Clay was banned from RU and when RNG Items were banned from OU, discussion was held upon the impact it would have. Even if one disagreed with the bans, at least there was some consideration of the effects it would have. Thus, the ban comes as a bit of a blindside hit to a lot of people in the ZU community. You can argue that these discussions aren't ALWAYS necessary, but when it's in regards to a Pokémon that plays one of the most valuable parts in a metagame, having zero discourse only adds a lack of transparency.

What makes my two primary concerns come together is that they both break precedent. When Shadow Tag got banned, it's because there was an attempt at just banning Gothorita, but then people started abusing their pre-evolutions. Glalie and Bibarel were going to be banned because of how they abused Moody, but it turns out that even Bidoof could abuse it to success, thus causing a Moody ban entirely. Slush Rush is a very different scenario, as not only would we never see a Pokémon like Alolan Sandshrew get success in NU, but it's even debatable how good Beartic would be as a standalone Slush Rush sweeper. Nevertheless, I couldn't care less about losing Beartic or Alolan Sandshrew.

My point is that this allows even more questionable actions to happen, if this ban holds any future weight. Down the line, this type of predicament can allow for other things to happen, that might similarly be contentious. Overall, I personally believe the rollout of this ban sets a concerning precedent, where bans can become more abitrary and less transparent as time progresses.

I don't have a stake in this but as the current usage stats guy I'm going to put Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash in NUBL on February 1st if Slush Rush is still NUBL at the time, because they're actually functionally banned too. Doesn't make any sense to have them "legal" with zero possibility to be used in three formats that have usage data provided. It's like Unown in 2018/2019 VGC all over again; TPCi take notes!
Great idea Marty, could I also request including the banned abilities in the teambuilder as well, because otherwise new users would be so confused about the reason why Alolan Sandshrew is banned from NU. Here is a screenshot of how my ideal teambuilder could look like:

1642817181020.png

With this said, the ban created a unique set of circumstances that understandably prompted discussion among players of those metagames, so we thought a thread would be appropriate to discuss proper handling of this situation.
I could only think of one solution to solve this unique circumstance:

Part 1: "(ability) is banned EXCEPT for Pokemon that can only use that (ability) in battle."
I should add that this ban probably works best only for luck-based abilities like Sand Veil and Snow Cloak. Since Slush Rush is banned, by letting (ability) = Snow Cloak, this means that Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash are exempted from this ban and thus can be used in battle. This also means that Articuno will be freed from BDSP OU.

Part 2: "Ban the Pokemon if it is still broken with that (ability)."
I doubt most people would argue that mons that can only use Snow Cloak will pose a serious threat to the metagame. Hence, these mons can stay unbanned.

Unfortunately, this solution is considered a complex ban which are generally undesirable. As such, I do not think there is anything that can be done to solve this unique problem, and I also understand that NU has no obligation to do so too.

Tuthur

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I can answer this, the general procedure for talk of Item/Abilitiy (more "complex" lol) bans is to have a PR thread, because it affects a good bit of tiers below. This ban happened without it, I and some others had talked with both meri and Finch and this thread was set to drop. Their goal (and mine) is to just have an open talk here about the now banned ability, and here we are. Even if they "don't care" about the tiers below this is just how it should go and I appreciate them making it
This is inaccurate. There were no PR thread for the past ban in NU (Drought, Drizzle, and Snow Warning), and if I remember correctly, when such threads exist they are set up before the vote happens (Light Clay, Drought in UU, King's Rock, ...). This puts us in a situation where we are asking to revert a ban instead of saying whether we support it or not, in my opinion this thread should have been up earlier. This goes against the policy stated by Hogg in this thread. It is also noticeable that there was neither a suspect test nor a survery preceding it, so it came as a surprise to PU and ZU.
Before gen 8 came out, we made some clarifications regarding what a particular tier's council can and can't do. One of the specific things that was clarified is that while suspecting or voting on individual Pokemon can be done without oversight, complex bans (which includes ability bans) requires a policy discussion. We discussed potentially banning Torkoal and Ninetales as an immediate way to deal with this issue, and in fact the council unanimously voted to do so, but we decided to hold off and move it to a policy discussion.
This thread is not to discuss counterplay to Beartic or Snowslash or whatever. It is a policy review thread, not NU Metagame Discussion.
I agree that discussions shouldn't be focused on NU metagame, however it should be noted that scepticism on the Beartic's brokeness is warranted. Beartic has been ZU since the beginning of the generation (since BW actually) and has been allowed in official tiers with Snow Warning, yet it never was an issue in any tier. The NU council may be genuine when saying Beartic would be broken even as a standalone abuser, however it doesn't disregard it never having been allowed as a standalone abuser. There is precedent to this, when Drought was brought up in PR, a lot of people thought Darmanitan would still be broken without Venusaur in the tier, however it proved to be fine.

The sole intention of this thread is to figure out whether or not it is appropriate for NU to ban Slush Rush as a result of having minimum three broken abusers of it, or whether they should ban those abusers themselves.
That is oversimplifying the actual discussion. First, there is another option which is banning Snow Warning. Snow Warning used to be banned over Slush Rush and NU was fine, banning the weather setting ability has always been the precedent bar the mess that is BWOU tiering. Snow Warning and Slush Rush are also not equal in term of non-Pokemon ban, since the second also implies two Pokemon bans. The three Pokemon ban versus Slush Rush is also misleading, since Slush Rush ban is indeed one non-Pokemon ban + 2 Pokemon bans. Also it is not minimum 3, as I said in the previous paragraph it is minimum 2 and maximum 3, if we ignore LC Pokemon.

All in all, in my opinion, NU took the wrong decision by quickbanning Slush Rush this way. First, Slush Rush Beartic should have been given a chance in NU without Alolan Sandslash. Second, if Beartic proved to be an issue, a PR thread should have been put up before NU takes a vote, discussing whether banning Beartic, Slush Rush, or Snow Warning is the right decision.

Last edited:
As the person who orchestrated the council vote on Slush Rush, I'll try to address some posts, my thoughts, and some of the NU community context on the ban, as well as answer some questions about the purpose of the thread in the first place.

After Hail had been floated within the Council chat for weeks before the ban, a tipping point was largely reached on Friday, January 14th regarding Hail teams being overpowered after another Hail game resulted in a win for the side using it. After the match, Confide (the winner of the match) went on the NU Discord and talked about how Hail was broken, and wished for action of some sort before NUSD playoffs (which start in 2 days from this point). Adding to this, its also important to note that our first seasonal of the year started this week, and we have precedence of hesitance on a Hail-related ban messing with the first round of our tournaments in last year's NU Open.

After some long winded discussion, non-council members were in almost unanimous agreement that Slush Rush was the best course of action to be banned in NU, and since the idea was already being floated within the council days prior, we went forward with a council vote on it. As seen in the OP, 9/10 of our council members voted to ban it, which hopefully shows the popularity of this ban within our tier. However, since the Snow Cloak ban was not at the forefront of most council member's minds when we made the decision, the earliest that the fact that Sandslash-Alola would be banned from the tier emerged was on Sunday, after the vote had already been decided. Due to the time frame of the vote, added with the overwhelming popularity of the vote in general within our community, we decided to go ahead with it in order to meet our schedule for NU Winter Seasonal and NUSD.

I'll try to address some points made in this thread now and give more context.

As you said NU doesn't care about PU and ZU, so why did you, Finchinator, invite PU and ZU forum moderators to reply to it, what answers did you hope to get?
As I've said above, the decision within our community is overwhelmingly positive. As such, we will obviously defend our decision as such, believing it to be right for this tier. However, we also recognize that other tiers were affected, and we had not intended to incur negative affects on other tiers, so this thread was made for the distinct purpose to open a dialogue. Though there have been many rather aggressive posts here, I still think that this platform was rather necessary in order to inform others that might step in on the situation, as well as give us a chance to explain why we chose to do it this way instead of another.

This puts us in a situation where we are asking to revert a ban instead of saying whether we support it or not, in my opinion this thread should have been up earlier.
This you're probably right about, but my relative inexperience as a Tier Leader, as well as our schedule, hopefully provides a bit of reasoning why this thread happened after instead of before (even if you don't respect my reasons). I wasn't aware that we were supposed to make a PR thread for these types of ability bans, and therefore didn't make one out of ignorance rather than malice. We figured that posting it after was better than not posting it at all.

Is it also too early to question Arctovish's reasoning to stay banned and not be unbanned/relooked in case you are not considering to relook your latest take regarding Slush Rush.
This was already answered, but to be more clear to this point, we will likely be unbanning it with a post in the NP thread this weekend (Sunday) after council comments on it. The reason it wasn't done last week was because there simply wasn't enough discussion about Arctovish for us to feel comfortable unbanning it immediately.

I already told Marty about this, but we will be including both of these bans with Arctovish, so the builder should be reflected to update it as long as no other tiering decisions are made.

What makes my two primary concerns come together is that they both break precedent. When Shadow Tag got banned, it's because there was an attempt at just banning Gothorita, but then people started abusing their pre-evolutions. Glalie and Bibarel were going to be banned because of how they abused Moody, but it turns out that even Bidoof could abuse it to success, thus causing a Moody ban entirely. Slush Rush is a very different scenario, as not only would we never see a Pokémon like Alolan Sandshrew get success in NU, but it's even debatable how good Beartic would be as a standalone Slush Rush sweeper.
I think that this is a bit unfair, as before with the first Hail bans, we were seeing Arctovish and Sandslash-Alola hail teams dominating the format. After Arctozolt rose and made it to where NU only would've had the one Hail-related ban in Arctovish, we unbanned Snow Warning and gave Hail a second shot. This also turned out to be broken, with Sandslash-Alola and Beartic now on full Hail teams. Sandslash-Alola before this meta was considered to be pretty awful in all honesty, with Arctovish and Arctozolt carrying the playstyle. The dominance of Sandslash-Alola after being relatively poor in previous metas showed most of the community that Slush Rush in general was likely the problem, and we didn't want to risk having a worse tier for longer due to having Beartic at some unknown viability. On top of this, we have most of the fully evolved Slush Rush Pokemon banned, with Arctozolt banned but in a higher tier by technicality, as well as Arctovish and likely Sandslash-Alola without this ability ban.

Without even a couple replays of Beartic-only hail I just can't get behind this, I don't think your line of reasoning works without it. Even just putting Beartic on that team you posted and posting some replays of getting really easy wins would work, instead of saying it would without posting any proof
The above may explain NU's shaky recent history with Hail, but this same argument would've likely been made at the time to ban Arctovish over Snow Warning, and time has shown that Sandslash-Alola by itself has turned into a threat for the metagame. Whether this will come to fruition, I'm not sure, but there were no Sandslash-only hail teams that were made during the Arctovish meta, because it would be quite silly to use the worse Pokemon out of the ones available. There's no guarantee that it would be broken, but there is honestly no guarantee it wouldn't be either due to the success of Beartic on these full Hail teams.

--

The reasoning for the ban of Slush Rush over Snow Warning is addressed in the original post, but I'd like to readdress it here. Aurora Veil without Light Clay as well as Vanilluxe and Aurorus all add to the tier in very manageable and healthy ways. Aurorus has recently picked up a win in NUSD, and Vanilluxe has seen a lot of solo usage without any other Hail-related Pokemon. We believe this aspect of the metagame is healthy, and that it was worth preserving when we made the ban.

This post is relatively long winded, but I hope it adds a bit of context to the reasoning behind the ban, why the thread exists, and overall just less hostility between those in the thread.

Apagogie

Zee you later
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I appreciate the efforts made by NU council members to give a context behind the decision. The thread opened only after the ban is clearer now, thank you for the insight. I hope, like every people in this thread I think, to find a constructive solution which can satisfy everyone.

I have to admit that I also find this banslate pretty odd. I understand that council NU tried their best to satisfy the community and for what I understand your community is satisfied with this slate. However, this vote makes a big precedent that I think is not something we have to wish for tiering policy.

There is no recent history about quickbanning a Speed boosting ability*. As already highlighted, the last one was in BW OU a tier with very different policies which don't respect transitivty between tiers and at a time where the weather didn't work at the same way that it does now. Banning an ability has been historically a red flag in tiering policy, where the problem is deeply analyzed to be certain that it's the last resort option available. Weather, Shadow Tag, Moody all had a big history of tiering behind them and a ban of them, even if generally still sometimes contentious, is often seen as legitimate considering the playerbase support, a tiering process deeply respected and a history of making these abilities very difficult to balance. It is noticeable that all these broken abilities are used on mons whatever their stats, movepool or typing they have, whatever they are offensive or defensive. Politoed, Gothitelle or Glalie were back in the days unhealthy or broken up in OU/UU while they had really nothing for them otherwise, not even ranked in the bottom tier below ZU. The process about banning ability can look exhausting but it's to be sure that banlists stay coherent and the right thing is targeted.

This ban makes a precedent where any council of any tier can quickban by council vote any ability with very limited discussions, without testing deeply other alternatives, and despite valid interrogations about the well founded of the targetted element. It's difficult or incoherent to justify that Slush Rush is intrinsically an ability overbroken. PU and ZU didn't have this experience at least and there is a clear distinction to make with other previous banned abilities who would make any mon jump into cellings of tiers.

I think that's the reason why a lot of people look frustrated in the thread in both sides. A lot of people were frustrated with a surprise ban which looked incoherent & rushed, while the NU community, satisfied with this ban and how is evolving their metagame, didn't really understand the feedback.

If I may offer a suggestion, which hopefully can satisfy everyone, I would suggest to
overturn the Slush Rush ban to ban both Sandslash-Alola and Beartic instead for now.

After that, we can discuss more in deep:
1) If a Slush ban is the more reasonable approach to this issue
2) If a Beartic suspect is possible at the end of these NU tournaments to see if it is an issue as a standalone mon in the NU metagame.

With these solutions, I hope we can find a good compromise which can satisfy every side of this problem and answer to every interrogation people have. Thank you for the reading.

*Edit:
Someone noticed me that LC has banned Chlorophyl in recent times. I consider rules of LC however pretty different compared to core metagames to take this as a precedent.

Last edited:

Tuthur

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The reasoning for the ban of Slush Rush over Snow Warning is addressed in the original post, but I'd like to readdress it here. Aurora Veil without Light Clay as well as Vanilluxe and Aurorus all add to the tier in very manageable and healthy ways. Aurorus has recently picked up a win in NUSD, and Vanilluxe has seen a lot of solo usage without any other Hail-related Pokemon. We believe this aspect of the metagame is healthy, and that it was worth preserving when we made the ban.
Why did you ban Drizzle over Swift Swim then? It looks like every Pokemon broken under Rain used that ability, this would allow for unique strategies involving Specs Politoed and Hydration Goodra / Vaporeon. As Apagogie stated, the weather setting ability is banned because it is inherently broken. You could run any Pokemon with it and it would be broken, just like how teams used Vulpix to get Drought. This is the case with Snow Warning, options like Amaura, Alolan Vulpix, and Snover are worse than Vanilluxe and Aurorus but are still usable, and would definitely see usages if Slush Rush breakers are as good as stated in the OP, if the Snow Warning FE were banned. However, if you ban the FE Slush Rush users, you're left with Alolan Sandshrew and Cubchoo, would you argue Slush Rush is also broken on them? That's yet the reasoning applied to every ability ban, trapping abilities are uncompetitive regardless of the user, same for luck items, and weather setting abilities are broken regardless of the setter. Slush Rush ban is inconsistent with every ability ban that happened in the last generations and even with the precedents set by SS NU itself.

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Why did you ban Drizzle over Swift Swim then? It looks like every Pokemon broken under Rain used that ability, this would allow for unique strategies involving Specs Politoed and Hydration Goodra / Vaporeon. As Apagogie stated, the weather setting ability is banned because it is inherently broken. You could run any Pokemon with it and it would be broken, just like how teams used Vulpix to get Drought. This is the case with Snow Warning, options like Amaura, Alolan Vulpix, and Snover are worse than Vanilluxe and Aurorus but are still usable, and would definitely see usages if Slush Rush breakers are as good as stated in the OP, if the Snow Warning FE were banned. However, if you ban the FE Slush Rush users, you're left with Alolan Sandshrew and Cubchoo, would you argue Slush Rush is also broken on them? That's yet the reasoning applied to every ability ban, trapping abilities are uncompetitive regardless of the user, same for luck items, and weather setting abilities are broken regardless of the setter. Slush Rush ban is inconsistent with every ability ban that happened in the last generations and even with the precedents set by SS NU itself.
This is pretty flawed logic that disregards plenty of precedent. Shadow Tag was banned in OU despite Gothita + Wynaut not seeing an inkling of relevant use; we do not need to care about random LC Pokemon that technically have the ability and we never have. You argue a lot in your post that is simply guesswork that never played out in practice.

Similarly, you disregard how functionally different the weathers are. Drizzle did more than just enable Swift Swim Pokemon to have lots of Speed: it made Tornadus hilariously broken (you can debate that it was anyway, but Drizzle played an immense part in this), it gave Water-type wallbreakers an even easier time running through teams because of the power boost, and it let other options like Heliolisk spam a much stronger Electric-type attack.

overturn the Slush Rush ban to ban both Sandslash-Alola and Beartic instead for now.
If we have to ban literally all Slush Rush abusers then what is the point of not just banning the Ability? I understand the precedent it sets however regardless of what action is taken here the results are the same, save for the fact that with a Slush Rush ban you can still use the Slush Rush pokemon for any niche they may have outside of Hail, such as Water Absorb Sub Arctovish being a niche anti-meta pick. At the end of the day all the abusers need to be gone and again I understand the precedent of banning a speed-based ability however it simply compacts 4 bans into 1, and Snow Warning itself is a very welcome and healthy ability in the tier. Either way idrc I just want to see this braindead playstyle that has plagued the tier for months now to be gone :(

Last edited:

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
In my opinion the order of things should have been the next one:
- Ban Sandslash-Alola.
- Take a look to the meta for a few days / weeks to see if Beartic itself is problematic for the tier.
- If it is, ban Slush Rush and unban Sandslash-Alola. If not, don't do anything.

I know it is a slow process, but I'd preffer a slow one over a bad decission for a tier.

2) If a Beartic suspect is possible at the end of these NU tournaments to see if it is an issue as a standalone mon in the NU metagame.
I'd like to say something that I forgot to say before regarding this, which is that the tier has generally needed a lot of action after the leaving of Bronzong. Being a flexible and splashable Steel-type with 2 abilities that patch weaknesses, its departure for us has made many things harder to deal with, Hail included. This also means we already want to do a couple suspects, so a council vote was more preferable to a suspect test. If we wanted to have a suspect test, it would be more like late March, not early February.

This isn't specifically a response to your post, but I don't really understand what the functional difference to banning both Beartic and Sandslash-Alola is, or why people seem to think there's a lack of precedent for this decision. Hail is oftentimes weird, as the main factor that is broken is Slush Rush itself, as all the other factors of the weather are quite underwhelming in comparison. As such, we believed that Slush Rush itself is broken instead of Snow Warning, and I've also outlined why we chose to ban Slush Rush instead. I also don't get the logic that we have to ban every Fully Evolved Pokemon that uses the ability before we can bother with Slush Rush. If that's what we're made to do then I'll do it, but I just really don't understand it, and I think our meta is strictly worse with a legal Beartic even if Hail drops off in viability.

Ren-chon

Lifesbane, 36 layers. How does it look?
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
I never said there were precedent, I am just sharing my opinion on what I think optimal tiering should be. I thought the lack of precedent of a similar case was the reason why this was posted in PR. If someone could name instances of other time where a lower tier had the choices between banning two different elements allowed in an even lower tier, I would be glad, otherwise I'd like this thread to set precedent for next time such a thing happens.
We should never need to look into other lower tiers needs in order to do our tierings. This idea that we cant tend to our own playerbase needs because a ban might cause issues in PU or ZU is simply illogical. We need to act based on whats broken in our own tier and whats better for our players; if you have an issue with ban transitivity in case of abilities, items, moves and such, then thats a whole different matter that deserves its own thread. The optimal tiering is one where a given tiers council bans stuff it deems to be too overwhelming or unhealthy, or leaves it up to their players to judge by themselves if said element should stay or go through a suspect test (and even then, more often than not the council decision to vote or suspect something is a reflection of what the community thinks is broken in the first place).

I know right, adapting to meta changes must be from some sort of imaginary world. Calling Poliwrath shitmon and not knowing how much it can actually provide with its typing and ability must be tough when we re spamming barely ranked Beartic. My posts in the first was all about to understand the NUs point of view to all of this. Im entirely talking about NU and its meta game as i have been part of it and know it in and out.
Issue is, theres a difference between adapting to something through an organic, natural and healthy way and just being forced into subpar choices because those are the only effective counterplay to said mon or playstyle. Yes, we can check it with Poliwrath, Jellicent, Vaporeon, phys def Omastar, Quagsire, Avalugg or whatever; but it becomes an issue when these mons just arent good at all in other matchups, or when youre FORCED into having to use them else you just lose to a certain threat (like hail, in this case). A forced adaptation was Vaporeon or Gastro + Esca being used in just about every team back during the Arctovish hail days because either you did it, or you lost to the fish. A healthy and natural one was the rise in usage of LO Starmie, Heliolisk and Toxicroak as an answer to said higher Vap usage, all of which are still really good even if you dont face one (cue people spamming Scarf Helio vs Hoen in SCL expecting him to HO at some point). If we have to rely to suboptimal choices to check one specific playstyle, with said mons being bad at the very best vs the rest of the tier, then thats a clear sign that playstyle should get the axe.

Dont get me wrong expulso, i do agree with a-slash ban, but beartic alone under hail is something i cant see being too much.
Thats the issue though. At which point do we just sit down and say "hey, maybe Arctozolt, Arctovish and A-Slash have something in common making them broken, as well as turning Beartic into a meta threat" instead of individually banning them one by one? This just sounds like these endless BP threads where people keep trying to nerf it instead of banning the move / banning boosting pass. 3 out of 4 fully evolved Slush Rush users were (would be) banned at some point in NU, if we consider A-Slash. Do you guys really not see how Slush Rush is an issue? Yes, the issue might be solved if we just ban A-Slash, but why do we need to keep trimming it down instead of just banning the one single broken element they share? If A-Slash is banned as a technicality, then so be it. Our goal is to ban what we perceive as broken, and we consider that to be Slush Rush. A-Slash going as a result or not, the original ban should by all means be preserved.

A higher tier does not have to consider the tiers below them when banning anything. We (UU) banned Arctozolt earlier this gen when it was what, ZUBL? and rightfully did not really give a shit about its relevance in RU or below. NU is completely free to ban both Alolan Sandslash and Beartic as they please and the tiers below them.
Thank you, seriously. Taking into consideration how our tiering could impact tiers below us would make tiering less efficient in the end, since we would basically need to take god knows how many other metas into account instead of just our own when making decisions.

In the context of major tiering decisions though, banning an ability has always been on the lower end of the priorities. The only abilities that consistently get banned are weather-setting abilities, because of their ability to facilitate unbalanced breakers. Nobody's going to deny that Alolan Sandslash under Hail is really good, but is Alolan Sandslash's dominance not a product of a playstyle that was banned up until a few months ago?
It indeed is on the lower end of things, which is why we tried our best to avoid doing so. We banned Arctozolt, then Arctovish, and now seriously discussing banning A-Slash. Thing is, we've reached a point where we just cant ignore how broken Slush Rush is, which is why we're finally acting upon it. We had Snow Warning banned previously, but we decided to bring it back because 1) we thought Slush Rush A-Slash wouldnt be enough to keep hail broken, and 2) that would mean freeing Vanilluxe, a healthy addition to our tier that has been seeing competitive use since then even as a standalone option, mainly as a breaker. Banning Slush Rush instead of Snow Warning wouldnt just put us into a situation where hail cant possibly be broken, but also freeing a currently very welcoming new Pokémon into our tier. If tiering is meant to make our tiers as objectively better as possible, then I cant see why we shouldnt take such route.

Regardless of how you feel about the ban, it's difficult to deny that the rollout of the decision has started controversy. To be clear, NU does not hold all responsibility to look out for the lower tiers. Despite this, to have zero conversation until AFTER the announcement is in poor taste. When Light Clay was banned from RU and when RNG Items were banned from OU, discussion was held upon the impact it would have. Even if one disagreed with the bans, at least there was some consideration of the effects it would have. Thus, the ban comes as a bit of a blindside hit to a lot of people in the ZU community. You can argue that these discussions aren't ALWAYS necessary, but when it's in regards to a Pokémon that plays one of the most valuable parts in a metagame, having zero discourse only adds a lack of transparency.
The way I see it at least, these threads werent meant to ask people to voice their opinions on how such changes would affect lower tiers (in fact, posts adressing this only showed up way after), but rather because of the nature of the things being tested. We very, very rarely ban items specially widespread ones like Light Clay that can be used by a variety of mons, and the RNG discussion thread was also of the very same nature. They werent originally meant for people to voice their concerns on how itd impact tiers below the ones on each threads OP, but rather for other users and tiering authorities to help better handle the issue at hand (an item that has been an integral part of just about every tier since DPP, and a whole class of luck based ones). With that in mind, I think the situation presented in these threads was quite different from ours, since ability bans are (while still not that common) more frequent than item ones.

What makes my two primary concerns come together is that they both break precedent. When Shadow Tag got banned, it's because there was an attempt at just banning Gothorita, but then people started abusing their pre-evolutions. Glalie and Bibarel were going to be banned because of how they abused Moody, but it turns out that even Bidoof could abuse it to success, thus causing a Moody ban entirely. Slush Rush is a very different scenario, as not only would we never see a Pokémon like Alolan Sandshrew get success in NU, but it's even debatable how good Beartic would be as a standalone Slush Rush sweeper. Nevertheless, I couldn't care less about losing Beartic or Alolan Sandshrew.
This further adds to the whole idea behind banning Slush Rush, though: we banned Arctozolt, then Arctovish, and now we are once again having to take action on hail because, even after all our individual Pokémon bans, its still broken. You dont have to go as far as look into A-Sandshrew for that, but rather just take into consideration how many other Slush Rush mons we had to ban before reaching the conclusion we're better off without that ability. Thats the same idea behind banning Arena Trap for example: Dugtrio was its biggest offender (and, if Im not mistaken, it did get banned with Arena Trap still being legal, or there was a discussion surrounding it), yet people chose to ban the ability as a whole because, in the end, it was still an unhealthy and broken element, even though no one would argue that Trapinch was a powerhouse in OU or something like that.

All in all, in my opinion, NU took the wrong decision by quickbanning Slush Rush this way. First, Slush Rush Beartic should have been given a chance in NU without Alolan Sandslash. Second, if Beartic proved to be an issue, a PR thread should have been put up before NU takes a vote, discussing whether banning Beartic, Slush Rush, or Snow Warning is the right decision.
Why? Should OU unban Shadow Tag and then make one individual suspect or vote for each of Gothorita, Gothitelle, Gothita, Wobbufett and Wynaut? We were heading onto our 3rd Slush Rush related ban OUT OF 4 POSSIBLE ONES. Where should we draw the line and recognize the ability is the issue? And I honestly think this argument of "ban something, wait. If broken, ban" is kinda funny because that was literally how we were handling hail with the fossil bans and it proved to not work. Thats like saying BW OU should go around banning every Swift Swim mon until all thats left is Armaldo, Lumineon and Horsea. Thats quite the exaggeration, I know, but just trying to show how we cant be banning each individual broken element when they have one common thing making them broken. Of course eventually that thing wont be broken anymore, after all you already banned like 90% of the unhealthy elements attached to it, but by then why not just ban the broken thing itself instead of butchering a whole tier with countless bans?

That is oversimplifying the actual discussion. First, there is another option which is banning Snow Warning. Snow Warning used to be banned over Slush Rush and NU was fine, banning the weather setting ability has always been the precedent bar the mess that is BWOU tiering. Snow Warning and Slush Rush are also not equal in term of non-Pokemon ban, since the second also implies two Pokemon bans. The three Pokemon ban versus Slush Rush is also misleading, since Slush Rush ban is indeed one non-Pokemon ban + 2 Pokemon bans. Also it is not minimum 3, as I said in the previous paragraph it is minimum 2 and maximum 3, if we ignore LC Pokemon.
Its not about how many 'mons we currently have banned, but how many times we had to take action at all on this matter. Why do we have to keep suspecting individual Pokémon all the time instead of just banning Slush Rush? Also weather setting abilities were often banned as an attempt to preserve the possibility of manual weather (something hardly even viable with hail). By banning Drizzle and Drought you can still retain the viable manual weather setter with heat/the rain rock + secondary setter + speed boosting threats, not to mention how theres a difference between banning like, 50+ mons with Swift Swim or just banning Drizzle and Drought. Funnily enough, Drought being banned in NU bans about as many Pokémon as we had to with Slush Rush already. Also... Isnt a 3 pokémon ban (75% of the total EXISTING ones) enough to warrant a look at an ability being potentially broken?

There is no recent history about quickbanning a Speed boosting ability*.
We had to due to our particular circumstances. Our circuit is just about to start and we already have other actual suspects scheduled, and the NU community was pretty unanimous in regard of Slush Rush being banned so a proper suspect would hardly change things (heck, I havent seen a single NUer voice their opinions against this decision, and our one council member that also has an active role in a tier below us is quite the supporter of this too). We already have a precedent over banning abilities or broken, non-Pokémon elements in general if thats the matter; I dont think we should need a precent over every small step we take towards tiering when there have been incredibly similar ones.

This ban makes a precedent where any council of any tier can quickban by council vote any ability with very limited discussions, without testing deeply other alternatives, and despite valid interrogations about the well founded of the targetted element. It's difficult or incoherent to justify that Slush Rush is intrinsically an ability overbroken. PU and ZU didn't have this experience at least and there is a clear distinction to make with other previous banned abilities who would make any mon jump into cellings of tiers.
That already happens, though. Every council has the power to quickban elements we judge as being broken, however we always do so after 1) taking each council members opinion into consideration, and mainly 2) taking the tier playerbases opinions into consideration. Point 2 is the most important one here, and through discussion in both our np threads as well as discord it was pretty clear most (if not the whole) community agreed quick action should be taken on this matter specially with our circuit having just started + our most used Pokémon leaving the tier and clearing the road for a multitude of other threats to be potentially broken and suspect worthy. Also that Slush Rush line was... A bit suspicious to say the least, considering how weve had to ban other 'mons before solely because of Slush Rush, and with every single user of the ability being perceived as either good or straight up broken.

In my opinion the order of things should have been the next one:
- Ban Sandslash-Alola.
- Take a look to the meta for a few days / weeks to see if Beartic itself is problematic for the tier.
- If it is, ban Slush Rush and unban Sandslash-Alola. If not, don't do anything.

I know it is a slow process, but I'd preffer a slow one over a bad decission for a tier.
Why?² Weve already seen over and over again how Slush Rush is broken and how it enables honestly bad Pokémon to be overbearing and unhealthy to the tier. We cant slow down our tiering when we have other things to look at and test every single Slush Rush threat (...which we kinda did) when the council and the NU community already both agree Slush Rush is the issue. We cant be in this constant state of "A, B and C are broken due to a shared mechanic. Ban A to see if B and C are still broken. If B and C are still broken, then ban B to see if C is broken. If C is still broken, then ban C". This would be the epitome of inefficient, slow tiering.

Tuthur

This is pretty flawed logic that disregards plenty of precedent. Shadow Tag was banned in OU despite Gothita + Wynaut not seeing an inkling of relevant use; we do not need to care about random LC Pokemon that technically have the ability and we never have. You argue a lot in your post that is simply guesswork that never played out in practice.
Random LC Pokemon that technically have the ability were problematic with the abilities that are banned, I don't remember Gothita and Wynaut getting the opportunity to shine due to Shadow Tag getting banned over Wobbufet and Gothitelle. However, Arena Trap, a similar ability, saw uses on Diglett and Trapinch when Dugtrio was banned / suspect tested in BW / SM OU, Drought was banned in NU when Vulpix was the only setter. There is a difference between not knowing if Gothita and Wynaut would have been broken in a metagame without Gothitelle, Wobbuffet, and Gothorita, and being sure Alolan Sandshrew and Cubchoo wouldn't see a single use. This is no theorymoning, the banned ability made Pokemon problematic regardless of their stats, typing, and movepool, that's not the case with Slush Rush.

Similarly, you disregard how functionally different the weathers are. Drizzle did more than just enable Swift Swim Pokemon to have lots of Speed: it made Tornadus hilariously broken (you can debate that it was anyway, but Drizzle played an immense part in this), it gave Water-type wallbreakers an even easier time running through teams because of the power boost, and it let other options like Heliolisk spam a much stronger Electric-type attack.
That's fair, but I fail to see how different it is to allow Heliolisk for passive recovery and better coverage and Electric STAB move when paired with Politoed than to allow Vanilluxe to have a better STAB move, deal constant chip damages, and have a move to boost its team defenses for 5 turns. The latter point being worth preserving according to what has been said by NU TL.

We should never need to look into other lower tiers needs in order to do our tierings. This idea that we cant tend to our own playerbase needs because a ban might cause issues in PU or ZU is simply illogical. We need to act based on whats broken in our own tier and whats better for our players; if you have an issue with ban transitivity in case of abilities, items, moves and such, then thats a whole different matter that deserves its own thread. The optimal tiering is one where a given tiers council bans stuff it deems to be too overwhelming or unhealthy, or leaves it up to their players to judge by themselves if said element should stay or go through a suspect test (and even then, more often than not the council decision to vote or suspect something is a reflection of what the community thinks is broken in the first place).
Thank you, seriously. Taking into consideration how our tiering could impact tiers below us would make tiering less efficient in the end, since we would basically need to take god knows how many other metas into account instead of just our own when making decisions.
That is not true and I adressed this point in another post. As stated in the OP of UU Drought thread, when it comes to non-Pokemon ban, a Policy Review thread is required and it is not like NU is unfamiliar with it. If you have an issue with this, then that's a whole different matter that deserves its own thread (to take your wording). The Arctozolt example is irrelevant as it is a Pokemon ban.

Thats the issue though. At which point do we just sit down and say "hey, maybe Arctozolt, Arctovish and A-Slash have something in common making them broken, as well as turning Beartic into a meta threat" instead of individually banning them one by one? This just sounds like these endless BP threads where people keep trying to nerf it instead of banning the move / banning boosting pass. 3 out of 4 fully evolved Slush Rush users were (would be) banned at some point in NU, if we consider A-Slash. Do you guys really not see how Slush Rush is an issue? Yes, the issue might be solved if we just ban A-Slash, but why do we need to keep trimming it down instead of just banning the one single broken element they share? If A-Slash is banned as a technicality, then so be it. Our goal is to ban what we perceive as broken, and we consider that to be Slush Rush. A-Slash going as a result or not, the original ban should by all means be preserved.
A common point is also Snow Warning as manual Hail is not strong enough. As far as I know, NU tried it and it worked, this was only reverted to an Arctovish ban to try to solve the issue with no Pokemon ban. If you have to go to a non-Pokemon ban, why not just pick the solution that proved to work and that PU and ZU were fine with? According to the NU council post it was to free Vanilluxe, an healthy presence in NU, but I don't think it is enough to justify not following precedent and ignoring PU and ZU opinions.

Why? Should OU unban Shadow Tag and then make one individual suspect or vote for each of Gothorita, Gothitelle, Gothita, Wobbufett and Wynaut? We were heading onto our 3rd Slush Rush related ban OUT OF 4 POSSIBLE ONES. Where should we draw the line and recognize the ability is the issue? And I honestly think this argument of "ban something, wait. If broken, ban" is kinda funny because that was literally how we were handling hail with the fossil bans and it proved to not work. Thats like saying BW OU should go around banning every Swift Swim mon until all thats left is Armaldo, Lumineon and Horsea. Thats quite the exaggeration, I know, but just trying to show how we cant be banning each individual broken element when they have one common thing making them broken. Of course eventually that thing wont be broken anymore, after all you already banned like 90% of the unhealthy elements attached to it, but by then why not just ban the broken thing itself instead of butchering a whole tier with countless bans?
I addressed this point in the first para of this post. tldr; the line is drawn when any Pokemon with the ability is banworthy regardless of stats, typing, and movepool. That was the case with Drizzle, Drought, Shadow Tag, and Arena Trap, not with Slush Rush.

Its not about how many 'mons we currently have banned, but how many times we had to take action at all on this matter. Why do we have to keep suspecting individual Pokémon all the time instead of just banning Slush Rush? Also weather setting abilities were often banned as an attempt to preserve the possibility of manual weather (something hardly even viable with hail). By banning Drizzle and Drought you can still retain the viable manual weather setter with heat/the rain rock + secondary setter + speed boosting threats, not to mention how theres a difference between banning like, 50+ mons with Swift Swim or just banning Drizzle and Drought. Funnily enough, Drought being banned in NU bans about as many Pokémon as we had to with Slush Rush already. Also... Isnt a 3 pokémon ban (75% of the total EXISTING ones) enough to warrant a look at an ability being potentially broken?
As far as I know, you need at least one ban, so it is fine. However, like I mentioned it, you needed to put a thread up and not leave this only in NU hands. By banning Snow Warning, you preserve Alolan Sandslash a viable Pokemon in PU and ZU. By only banning Alolan Sandslash, you preserve Slush Rush Beartic which hasn't proved to be an issue in NU as a standalone abuser and which is a viable option in both PU and ZU. Banning Slush Rush also has its perks, however this should have been a collective decision.

We had to due to our particular circumstances. Our circuit is just about to start and we already have other actual suspects scheduled, and the NU community was pretty unanimous in regard of Slush Rush being banned so a proper suspect would hardly change things (heck, I havent seen a single NUer voice their opinions against this decision, and our one council member that also has an active role in a tier below us is quite the supporter of this too). We already have a precedent over banning abilities or broken, non-Pokémon elements in general if thats the matter; I dont think we should need a precent over every small step we take towards tiering when there have been incredibly similar ones.
These aren't "small steps", every non-Pokemon ban has consequences on lower tiers. I can't talk for PU, but in ZU we had to quickban Vanilluxe, deal with a new hail archetype, buffed Aurorus, and viable Abomasnow. Some great options like Rapidash and Teleport Clefairy became near unviable. That is probably our bad for not calling out NU over not having held Policy Review thread on their other weather ban, but it isn't a tiering action to take lightly.

Overall I appreciate you guys responding to our points, instead of just repeating the OP without adding any substance.

Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
According to the NU council post it was to free Vanilluxe, an healthy presence in NU, but I don't think it is enough to justify not following precedent and ignoring PU and ZU opinions.
As both an NU main and a ZU main I find this whole discussion ridiculous. Ren-chon thoroughly explained why NU should tier for NU and not the others. Case in point, tiering changes are a standard part of smogon, and adapting to new meta games is totally normal. The decision was made and it follows the precedent of the past. This seems like an odd hill to die on for ZU mains considering the bright future our tier has.

To respond to the multitude of questions about Slush Rush being broken or not, I’d just like to repeat what Ren-chon said and also mention that hail was ravaging ZU and PU(during PUWC).

In summary, Ik I’ve been repeating a lot of things that people have already said but I would just like to implore ZUer specifically to focus less on this one tiering decision and focus more on our incredible surge in activity and our main goal as a tier.

E: a lot of the responses have been about the policy itself rather than the decision, and I implore non-zu players to make an honest effort to listen to the grievances rather than dismissing them as ‘salty zu players mad they lost snow slash’. That’s disingenuous asw. Just a little tangent bc I didn’t summarize my thoughts completely ab the issue in my OP. Hopefully we can all take away something positive from this discussion rather than just run around in circles.

Last edited:

Ren-chon

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
That is not true and I adressed this point in another post. As stated in the OP of UU Drought thread, when it comes to non-Pokemon ban, a Policy Review thread is required and it is not like NU is unfamiliar with it. If you have an issue with this, then that's a whole different matter that deserves its own thread (to take your wording). The Arctozolt example is irrelevant as it is a Pokemon ban.
This... Is not true at all? We banned Snow Warning before, as well as Drizzle and Drought without the need of a policy review thread and things were just fine. Not to sound rude but these kinda comments are getting pretty ridiculous now. Just goes to show how you have absolutely 0 familiarity with NU and our past tiering decisions and yet want to basically tell us how we should work our own tier. Also, we made a thread on Leek not because of it being a non-Pokémon ban; youre once again taking things entirely out of context, and in fact it has literally 0 similarity with the Slush Rush decision. Leek is an item thats literally only viable on a single mon, and even then it has other items (like CB) that it can use to an even higher success. That thread was made right as OU was handling luck based items (both posted by the same person even) and was basically a consequence of that. Leek turned every interaction with Sirfetchd into a coinflip, where you could either switch in a check and deal with it or get crit and there was little you nor your opp could do about it. It was simply an extension to the RNG items discussion, and an even more absurd example since it was LITERALLY viable on a single mon, hence why we were unsure over how to deal with it: ban Leek, an unhealthy element, or the only Pokémon able to use such item? Thats completely different from Hail where you have a grand total of 4 abusers, with 2 (3) being banned and one still available. Also I dont have any issues with this, because your comment is simply wrong and shows how little you know about NU tiering, so cant see why I should make a thread specially given that Im completely satisfied with how we handled things here.

A common point is also Snow Warning as manual Hail is not strong enough. As far as I know, NU tried it and it worked, this was only reverted to an Arctovish ban to try to solve the issue with no Pokemon ban. If you have to go to a non-Pokemon ban, why not just pick the solution that proved to work and that PU and ZU were fine with? According to the NU council post it was to free Vanilluxe, an healthy presence in NU, but I don't think it is enough to justify not following precedent and ignoring PU and ZU opinions.
Why?³ Weve repeated this over and over again, but WE DO NOT NEED TO TAKE TIERS BELOW US INTO CONSIDERATION WHEN DOING TIERING. The NU council cares about NU and NU only, its not our job to handle PU and/or ZU, nor to jeopardize our decisions just because it might negatively impact other tiers that have their own council to handle their matters.

I addressed this point in the first para of this post. tldr; the line is drawn when any Pokemon with the ability is banworthy regardless of stats, typing, and movepool. That was the case with Drizzle, Drought, Shadow Tag, and Arena Trap, not with Slush Rush.
Is Diglett broken? Is Wynaut broken? Is Gothita broken? No, they arent. Theres no objective answer to where we should draw the line, which is why each council should look and decide between themselves (again, also taking their own tiers community thoughts into consideration) if at that point its better to handle the issue by banning a (or, in this case, multiple) Pokémon or the element making said Pokémon better. The line is drawn subjectively, which is what we did, once we - a council made up of people who actively play the tier, are engaged with the community and are experienced enough to know what matters need to be taken action on as well as the right course of action - perceived Slush Rush as being the truly broken element since we were already heading to our 3rd ban in SS NU history related to that ability. Its up to a tiers council to decide what action to take, and we did so.

As far as I know, you need at least one ban, so it is fine. However, like I mentioned it, you needed to put a thread up and not leave this only in NU hands. By banning Snow Warning, you preserve Alolan Sandslash a viable Pokemon in PU and ZU. By only banning Alolan Sandslash, you preserve Slush Rush Beartic which hasn't proved to be an issue in NU as a standalone abuser and which is a viable option in both PU and ZU. Banning Slush Rush also has its perks, however this should have been a collective decision.
We should not care about how our bans affect tiers below us. We do whats better for the NU tier and its community, which are what the council and its tier leaders represent. We have no say in how other tiers handle their issues, nor should other tiers have a say in how we do so here. At this point, just abolish councils and make one singular entity representing all of Ubers all the way down to ZU.

These aren't "small steps", every non-Pokemon ban has consequences on lower tiers. I can't talk for PU, but in ZU we had to quickban Vanilluxe, deal with a new hail archetype, buffed Aurorus, and viable Abomasnow. Some great options like Rapidash and Teleport Clefairy became near unviable. That is probably our bad for not calling out NU over not having held Policy Review thread on their other weather ban, but it isn't a tiering action to take lightly.
Glad to hear you guys had to quickban Vanilluxe and, if Im not mistaken, just held a suspect test on Aurorus. Thats what tiering is about. You guys dealt with what you perceived as broken elements in your tier your own way, just how we did. Thats literally how tiering is supposed to work: the ZU council and ZU community deal with matters pertaining to the ZU tier, and the NU council and NU community deal with matters pertaining with the NU community. Whats wrong with it?

LBDC

From Eu to the Mont-Saint-Michel
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As a independent observer, I feel this to be a complicated matter. I understand NU sentiment of "We don't care about PU". It makes sense. I also appreciate how NU community is posting here to defend this matter. It is really nice. However, I have some questions about Slush Rush vs Pokémon bans. In particular, I would like to know the council/NU community position on these two questions (I quoted in the spoiler tag):
  1. How banning Slush Rush consistent with the decision of SS OU (the main Smogon tier) to ban Darmanitan-Galar instead of Gorilla Tactics*?
    1. Similarly, how banning Slush Rush consistent with this Zarel's post, which seems "reflects our position [of SS OU council]"?
  2. If Slush Rush is inherently so powerful that it need to be outright banned** , why it isn't banned from higher tiers (OU, UU, RU) like Shadow Tag and Arena Trap could be?
* More particularly this paragraph:
Alright so Darmanitan-Galar with Gorilla Tactics is broken. Why aren't we just banning Gorilla Tactics?

We ban Pokemon regardless of whether their movepool, their stats, or their ability makes them overpowered. Our tiering system is built on this principle; banning Pokemon components separately will produce a bloated and convoluted ruleset if consistently used as a first measure. The circumstances need to be exceptional for us to stray from this norm, such as inherently uncompetitive (heavily luck-based / devoid of skill) abilities, or abilities that affect a larger variety of Pokemon very negatively. Two recent examples would be Shadow Tag and Moody.
--------------

** That's how I understand these quotes by Ren-chon. Let me know if I misunderstand these much-needed explanations.
We banned Arctozolt, then Arctovish, and now seriously discussing banning A-Slash. Thing is, we've reached a point where we just cant ignore how broken Slush Rush is, which is why we're finally acting upon it.
3 out of 4 fully evolved Slush Rush users were (would be) banned at some point in NU, if we consider A-Slash. Do you guys really not see how Slush Rush is an issue?
My reasoning for this question is that, from a quick observation, broken abilities tend to be so in every tier, so there should be some signs that Slush Rush is OP everywhere.

In case it was unclear, my issue is NOT that this decision ban by technicality Sandslash-A, but rather the fact that NU did ban an ability rather than Pokémon (Sandslash-A & Beartic). Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!

As a independent observer, I feel this to be a complicated matter. I understand NU sentiment of "We don't care about PU". It makes sense. I also appreciate how NU community is posting here to defend this matter. It is really nice. However, I have some questions about Slush Rush vs Pokémon bans. In particular, I would like to know the council/NU community position on these two questions (I quoted in the spoiler tag):
  1. How banning Slush Rush consistent with the decision of SS OU (the main Smogon tier) to ban Darmanitan-Galar instead of Gorilla Tactics*?
    1. Similarly, how banning Slush Rush consistent with this Zarel's post, which seems "reflects our position [of SS OU council]"?
  2. If Slush Rush is inherently so powerful that it need to be outright banned** , why it isn't banned from higher tiers (OU, UU, RU) like Shadow Tag and Arena Trap could be?
* More particularly this paragraph:

--------------

** That's how I understand these quotes by Ren-chon. Let me know if I misunderstand these much-needed explanations.

My reasoning for this question is that, from a quick observation, broken abilities tend to be so in every tier, so there should be some signs that Slush Rush is OP everywhere.

In case it was unclear, my issue is NOT that this decision ban by technicality Sandslash-A, but rather the fact that NU did ban an ability rather than Pokémon (Sandslash-A & Beartic). Thanks for reading, and have a nice day!
I'm not the most qualified to answer these so don't let me speak for everyone here:

to answer question one, Gorilla Tactics is on one Pokemon, much like Protean on Greninja or Fishious Rend on Dracovish. Slush Rush has proven to be too much for at least 3 (maybe 4) of 4 Pokemon available in the tier.

to answer question two, higher tiers simply have more tools to answer these Pokemon, and even so, Arctozolt was banned from UU while it was sitting in PU, showing that users of the ability can be too much for even much higher tiers. An example of an ability ban skipping tiers can be Drought being allowed in both OU and RU, but not UU, and there was no issue with this afaik. This is because the pool of abusers and answers to said abusers was much different, meaning that comparing the effectiveness of an ability in different tiers with entirely different metas isn't always accurate.

I also think comparing anything to trapping abilities is not really fair, as those are historically and conceptually broken almost always, while weather has always been controversial and different throughout tiers and generations.

The whole reason this action is even an vocalized issue is because lower tiers lose a Pokemon in the process, although the suggested alternative action involves banning said Pokemon anyway. If everyone wants 4 individual bans when 1 ban accomplishes the same thing... why? Other than the precedent that is only cared about because an OM wanted us to ask them for permission to preform tiering action on our own tier?
Again this is not true, seen with the unique position Drought has in SM, and Hail teams have shown broken elements in every tier.

I can't quote this for some reason but

We ban Pokemon regardless of whether their movepool, their stats, or their ability makes them overpowered. Our tiering system is built on this principle; banning Pokemon components separately will produce a bloated and convoluted ruleset if consistently used as a first measure. The circumstances need to be exceptional for us to stray from this norm, such as inherently uncompetitive (heavily luck-based / devoid of skill) abilities, or abilities that affect a larger variety of Pokemon very negatively. Two recent examples would be Shadow Tag and Moody.

specifically the "bloated" part of this quote, the Slush Rush ban is literally made to condense the ban list, AND slush rush has been shown to be on very easy to pilot teamstyles (idk if this is what is meant by "devoid of skill" but it was pretty braindead lul) and these teamstyles negatively affected the whole tier (not sure again if that's what it means in this context) so again I understand the concern but I do think this ban meets the criteria despite being a unique one.

Once again not too familiar with tiering policy but I think I've both shown good examples of similar ability bans and also explained how I think this specific ability ban meets criteria both because it would otherwise bloat the ruleset and also negatively affected the tier according to both the council and playerbase.

If I am wrong please let me know (this has been a good learning experience) but anyway I think banning Alola-Slash and Beartic would suffice, even if it accomplishes the same thing either way.

Last edited:

Ren-chon

How banning Slush Rush consistent with the decision of SS OU (the main Smogon tier) to ban Darmanitan-Galar instead of Gorilla Tactics*?
Because of one key aspect that didnt apply to Gorilla Tactics: distribution. We often try to ban a Pokémon rather than abilities (such as Drought, Drizzle, Shadow Tag, how Chlorophyl was in BW OU at some point iirc, and so on), moves (like LC did with Eevees Z move in SM, or Baton Pass in... Well, just about every gen lol), or items (the RNG ones), thats true. However, once a larger variety of Pokémon can make use of said broken element to a large success, or how that thing enables a lot other offenders, THEN thats an issue. This is why Drizzle is banned despite its only user being Politoed, or how BP is even though a lot of mons that learn it are simply bad. Gorilla Tactics is an ability only one Pokémon can use, and as such it was preferable to ban Darmanitan. Think of how Cinderace was banned due to Libero, even though only its evolution line has access to it. We only resort to these more complex bans when a larger pool of potential broken Pokémon has access to it, and are potentially (or outright) broken due to it.

If Slush Rush is inherently so powerful that it need to be outright banned** , why it isn't banned from higher tiers (OU, UU, RU) like Shadow Tag and Arena Trap could be?
Because each tier has its own pool of Pokémon, and considering how NU is the second lowest official one, its only natural Slush Rush as a whole wouldnt be a broken element in, say, UU (even though they had to deal with Arctozolt for quite a while there) as it is here. Also, Shadow Tag itself is an example of something being broken in a tier but not considered so in others for quite a while: it was banned pretty quickly in BW OU while it was still a current generation tier, yet BW NU only banned it like last month. Another example is Drought in SM, which is banned in PU, NU and UU yet legal in RU. Something being broken in a higher tier doesnt mean it will be so in lower ones, let alone the other way around. Each tier has their own particularities that make them different from others.

Already answered above why this isnt true. Pokémon isnt a game where you can pick any ability or any move you want for any given pokémon (like in BH), so sometimes we're limited by distribution and that means broken elements are perceived (and act) differently in different environments (tiers).

EDIT: Welp, togkey ninjad me I guess LOL

Greybaum

GENTLEMAN, THIS IS DEMOCRACY MANIFEST
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
hey, former pu council, former zu player, practically never nu player here

The NU council has already explained the ban decision multiple times, stating that Arctozolt (now UUBL for similar reasoning), Arctovish, and Alolan Sandslash were all seen as banworthy as a direct result of Slush Rush, and they have explained why a Snow Warning/Alolan Sandslash ban was undesirable. It's fully understandable why some people - especially those affected in other tiers, may have preferred another ban but this does not make the NU Council's decision an incorrect one.

On those other possible choices;
Yes, prior Drizzle/Drought bans indicate that a Snow Warning ban may have been preferable here, but as Rabia has already stated there are significant differences between Snow Warning/Sand Stream and the other two weathers, especially after Snow Warning has already been hit with a Snow Cloak ban and indirect nerf to Aurora Veil via the Light Clay ban.
Also, on a less 'official' note... why would this be better? Both of the official tiers relevant to this discussion would be exchanging a genuinely fun and competitive Pokemon in Vanilluxe for Alolan Sandslash and Beartic, with the former being extremely niche in PU and Beartic being unviable in both tiers (and ZU).

Yes, Alolan Sandslash could have gotten the boot, but that's a third Pokemon ban coming from the same root cause; a 2x Speed boost and free chip is overpowered when given to a strong breaker with few viable switchins. Regardless of whether or not Beartic is factored into this is in my eyes irrelevant; Slush Rush has resulted in 3 Pokemon being banned and trying to preserve Slush Rush Beartic is not worth a continued headache, especially when considering the impact this has on the current Arctovish ban.

I'm not sure how to put this politely, but I've read maybe a half a dozen posts now all questioning the same things when the answers have been provided an equal number of times. I'm being similarly redundant here but I figured I'd be the first non-NU player to voice the opinion that yes, the NU council were completely in their right to ban Slush Rush, and on top of that have not deserved the vitriol sent their way - many of the posts in this thread I'd have much preferred not seeing.

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
I've been reading these posts, and I agree with Greybaum that the conversation has been getting a bit redundant. Even if I personally disagree with the decision, I can understand why the choice was made.

My main concern, as I stated before, was with how the rollout of the ban was handled. I think in the future, when going over bans that might have big effects on other metas, it should be handled a little differently. While I completely understand that it's not NU's responsbility to care about other metas, I do think there should be a heads-up or a PR thread beforehand. With that, there would not be dispute like this happening again.

I completely get that the timing of the ban had to be quick due to tournament scheduling, but I also think that same haste was bound to cause issues.

I've been reading these posts, and I agree with Greybaum that the conversation has been getting a bit redundant. Even if I personally disagree with the decision, I can understand why the choice was made.

My main concern, as I stated before, was with how the rollout of the ban was handled. I think in the future, when going over bans that might have big effects on other metas, it should be handled a little differently. While I completely understand that it's not NU's responsbility to care about other metas, I do think there should be a heads-up or a PR thread beforehand. With that, there would not be dispute like this happening again.

I completely get that the timing of the ban had to be quick due to tournament scheduling, but I also think that same haste was bound to cause issues.
A lot of unfortunate timing led up to all of this but I think some kind of agreement can finally be met soon enough. The action may seem very sudden for those not directly in the NU community but some kind of nerf to Hail teams has been in call ever since NUSD started and even before then. I do also think that a lot of NU staff has had to literally repeat themselves over and over again only to fall upon deaf ears, making up more than half of this thread, so to everyone who is actually reading what is being said and using that information to form even better suggestions and questions, thank you for making this thread actually worth something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)