Tournaments RBY UU Open I (Won by Ice Yazu)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry again for the delay everyone, thank you for your patience and letting me celebrate the holiday haha

Administrative decisions:
Zekerum beat pokem1399 but was then banned. Due to this we will have 31 players instead of 32 in Round 2, which explains the bye.

Activity calls:
tylerfitz8 > robjr
GH0 > Crokodil13

Flips:
giove97 > holly
LeCehlou > julian113
Paulluxx > Estarossa

Extensions:
jeffdaboss vs. txitxas
Oathkeeper vs. justdrew
Reminder, your deadline is Wednesday at 11:59 PM EST

---

Alright with that said, here are the round 2 pairings:

InfernoDragon vs. Bye
ArcticBreeze vs. martinvtran
GH0 vs. HRCassetteTape
Scholar vs. justdrew
kjdaas vs. iKiQ
Gastlies vs. emma
Descending vs. Torchic
Paulluxx vs. LeCehlou
BT89 vs. YBW
Mr.Bossaru vs. BigFatMantis
Blue Cloyster vs. SaDiSTiCNarwhal
dunoks vs. giove97
Ice Yazu vs. tylerfitz8
nicole7735 vs. pokemonisfun
Ctown6 vs. ClairDeLuna
Unowndragon vs. jeffdaboss

Pairings were generated at https://challonge.com/RBYUUOpenRound2Matchups (I didn't typo and call it Math Cups this time yay)

Deadline for Round 2 is Sunday, July 10th, at 11:59 PM EST

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
Won in the 2 haxiest games in existence. This gen fucking blows. So very sorry for this, you deserved a legit and enjoyable series.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1uu-1610525556-hod5hak0xdcmuvq8p9pyd4b96m6de4mpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1uu-1610531066-z4u6e4w4nnjz81bx7557ij0k07fi801pw
so you know, normal types cannot be paralyzed by body slam. (i saw it was discussed in the chat as one of the unfair things that happened that vap didnt get the paraslam on kang, but that is mechanically impossible). kang was not switching out there anyway, vap clicking bslam was an unplay.

in the first game oathkeeper brought lead kadabra + five slower mons, which is probably an unviable team or at minimum not something a new player should be using (as a new player u should bring 2 mons faster than tent). this left them no counterplay to tentacruel’s wrap later on when kadabra was paralyzed.
obviously the 1/256 miss sucks (tho idt it changed the outcome).

if oathkeeper understood how wrap works on the sim, they wouldnt have been surprised by haunter clicking hypnosis on the turn they switched in duggy, and wouldve played the sequence differently.

ofc neither of you are required to like the tier or ever play it again, but i encourage you not to evaluate the tier based on these two games, when u havent learned the foundational mechanics and there were unplays on a significant number of turns (due to lack of knowledge of the tier, i hope its clear im not like blaming either of u for not playing the best).

and tbc i wouldnt say that someone feeling like this tier has a lot of ‘hax’ is a categorically unreasonable position, but u really cant conclude anything off of these two games.
for example myself and many others see sleep, particularly hypnosis hypno, as the most severe way that rng is affecting outcomes in this tier rn, and after this tournament in my understanding there will prob be a discussion about potential tiering action on sleep in rby uu.

Last edited:

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
so you know, normal types cannot be paralyzed by body slam. (i saw it was discussed in the chat as one of the unfair things that happened that vap didnt get the paraslam on kang, but that is mechanically impossible). kang was not switching out there anyway, vap clicking bslam was an unplay.

in the first game oathkeeper brought lead kadabra + five slower mons, which is probably an unviable team or at minimum not something a new player should be using (as a new player u should bring 2 mons faster than tent). this left them no counterplay to tentacruel’s wrap later on when kadabra was paralyzed.
obviously the 1/256 miss sucks (tho idt it changed the outcome).

if oathkeeper understood how wrap works on the sim, they wouldnt have been surprised by haunter clicking hypnosis on the turn they switched in duggy, and wouldve played the sequence differently.

ofc neither of you are required to like the tier or ever play it again, but i encourage you not to evaluate the tier based on these two games, when u havent learned the foundational mechanics and there were unplays on a significant number of turns (due to lack of knowledge of the tier, i hope its clear im not like blaming either of u for not playing the best).

and tbc i wouldnt say that someone feeling like this tier has a lot of ‘hax’ is a categorically unreasonable position, but u really cant conclude anything off of these two games.
for example myself and many others see sleep, particularly hypnosis hypno, as the most severe way that rng is affecting outcomes in this tier rn, and after this tournament in my understanding there will prob be a discussion about potential tiering action on sleep in rby uu.
Hey! I really appreciate you pointing out some mechanics that I didn’t know existed. I do like RBY UU, I like the pokémon and overall find it fun. However my experience managing UUFPL and UUSD as well as playing some games myself has led me to believe that this tier is governed by a higher power that sometimes loves to bully unsuspecting mons players like oathkeeper. I’ll continue playing the tier but regardless, that series was undoubtedly gross lol.

If I had to point out an area of confusion (and I know this isn’t a discussion thread), why are you discussing sleep when perma freeze seems like a far larger competitive issue?

Feel free to start a smogon conversation with me, I don’t want to clog this thread anymore with non replays! Thanks!

Sorry again for the delay everyone, thank you for your patience and letting me celebrate the holiday haha

Administrative decisions:
Zekerum beat pokem1399 but was then banned. Due to this we will have 31 players instead of 32 in Round 2, which explains the bye.

Activity calls:
tylerfitz8 > robjr
GH0 > Crokodil13

Flips:
giove97 > holly
LeCehlou > julian113
Paulluxx > Estarossa

Extensions:
jeffdaboss vs. txitxas
Oathkeeper vs. justdrew
Reminder, your deadline is Wednesday at 11:59 PM EST

---

Alright with that said, here are the round 2 pairings:

InfernoDragon vs. Bye
ArcticBreeze vs. martinvtran
GH0 vs. HRCassetteTape
Scholar vs. (winner of Oathkeeper vs. justdrew)
kjdaas vs. iKiQ
Gastlies vs. emma
Descending vs. Torchic
Paulluxx vs. LeCehlou
BT89 vs. YBW
Mr.Bossaru vs. BigFatMantis
Blue Cloyster vs. SaDiSTiCNarwhal
dunoks vs. giove97
Ice Yazu vs. tylerfitz8
nicole7735 vs. pokemonisfun
Ctown6 vs. ClairDeLuna
Unowndragon vs. (winner of jeffdaboss vs. txitxas)

Pairings were generated at https://challonge.com/RBYUUOpenRound2Matchups (I didn't typo and call it Math Cups this time yay)

Deadline for Round 2 is Sunday, July 10th, at 11:59 PM EST

Good luck and have fun!
Just wanted to say that I responded to my opponent with my availability and never got a response from them back, im not sure if it’s too late to call act but if I can I’d like to continue.

Won in a very fun 3 game series vs ClairDeLuna , I had an extremely fortunate game 3, which undoubtedly helped secure the W. Was a blast to play this tho, I really enjoy UU and am excited to keep playing:)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1uu-1611175295

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1uu-1611181979

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen1uu-1611189973

(also s/o May (again) and first blood (again))

Edit: also all kinds of heater mons and teams used between us including a charizard which tragically blew its big moment g3

justdrew

All dogs go to heaven
is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
I contacted on Monday and have received no response. Unfortunately, if I don't receive a response by tonight gmt -4, I'll be taking ACT.

Paulluxx

[Regional Manager of Big Shifu]
is a Community Contributor
My opponent never responded and seeing how its Sunday, pity. Need to play this metagame more

calling act

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)