martinvtran

Banned deucer.
D4zCRrRXkAEVoF1.png

Rhydon
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Tail Whip
- Substitute

In addition to pummeling Electric-types, Rhydon now utilizes Tail Whip over Rock Slide to crumble the Defense of Reflect Snorlax and Chansey too, making it much harder to stop. However, it loses power against Exeggutor, Cloyster, and Flying-types, but with the second highest Attack stat, Earthquake is still petrifying to switch into. This utility set capitalizes on Rhydon's formidable Defense stat and lets it absorb Electric-type attacks, Thunder Wave, Explosion, and Hyper Beam, as well as punishing Pokemon mid-recharge. Rhydon's Substitute survives a Seismic Toss and lets it significantly damage foes trying to break the Substitute, and Body Slam is vital for letting Rhydon distribute its own paralysis. With its slow Speed, it appreciates paralysis support from Chansey and Starmie to bulldoze teams late-game. Starmie can also utilize its typing to switch into the Ice-type, Water-type, and special moves that hinder Rhydon, namely from Cloyster, Slowbro, and Exeggutor.

Check out Rhydon plowing through teams in the RBY Circuit!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ou-623996
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ou-638189

Character count (excluding links): 783

Last edited by a moderator:
Replacing the traditional Rock Slide with Tail Whip, Rhydon now outlasts PP-stall matchups or forces switches by crumbling the Defense of Reflect Snorlax and Chansey.
I think "outlasts PP-stall matchups" is a bit misleading as with Tail Whip the PP-stall is not going to happen (it mostly would just happen vs Reflect Mono Snorlax and with a Rhydon carrying Rest). I would just remove that part and focus on it now having better tools to beat Reflect users.

while Rhydon forms a rock-hard Defensive-Special core with Chansey
Still a bit unsure about this line. I am concerned that people might think Rhydon is a good physical wall and start switching it into healthy Snorlax right away.

Serpi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I agree with FOMG, the point of Tail Whip is that Rhydon can keep breaking in situations where Reflect Lax would normally stop it, def gotta focus on that. We could also mention the problems Rhydon could run into when dropping Rock Slide (hitting Egg, Cloy and the birds less hard) but idk might be too much in a spotlight

I initially wanted to suggest explaining the downsides of dropping Rock Slide as well, but then saw that the character number is already over 1000 with not many things you could remove in exchange, so thought it's fine to leave that out.
But if there is still room, mention those drawbacks Serpi listed briefly.

FOMG and Serpi are both correct - in the spotlight format I would prefer you open with / highlight Tail Whip breaking through Reflect Snorlax since that is what we want to highlight on the set and then you can get into talking about the other moves and such which are a lot more standard.

Please make the above change and remove the "Defensive-Special core with Chansey." line and it should be good to go but I'll look over once more to make sure.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)