Perpetually Tired
is a Pre-Contributor
lovely kiss.gif

Jynx
- Lovely Kiss
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Rest

Never fear, for the Ice Queen is here! Sporting the incredible Lovely Kiss, Jynx switching in Turn 1 as has become a play to look out for in RBY OU. Usually, Starmie and Alakazam are leads with Jynx to force a switch to Exeggutor or Chansey. As that switch happens, Jynx comes in to safely use Lovely Kiss against either slower foe; this process means Starmie or Alakazam can't paralyze or KO Jynx beforehand. With Blizzard, it can potentially freeze switch-ins such as Chansey and Starmie, quickly turning games into a 6v4. It can also strike foes such as Rhydon and Exeggutor for super effective damage. Psychic can hit threats such as Gengar and Lapras hard while potentially lowering the Special of Pokemon such as Chansey, making them less effective. Rest allows Jynx to heal up, remove status such as paralysis, and block sleep at will, especially against mono-Ice Beam Chansey.

See Jynx in action here:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ou-649305
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ou-601774

Last edited:

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
This does an ok job highlighting Jynx as a whole, but misses the point of spotlighting Back Jynx.

Back Jynx is meant to switch in Turn 1 on an incoming Chansey, Exeggutor, or even Rhydon and be able to fire off a Lovely Kiss against something slower than you instead of Starmie or Alakazam. This lets Jynx avoid paralysis when the opposition has an Exeggutor in the back or any odds of getting KO'd via Surf or Seismic Toss before you can land Lovely Kiss. It also helps Jynx freeze for fishes and be an effective sleep blocker or sleep sack.

Both replays show how the set can work in an ideal world. In the first, Jynx lands Lovely Kiss on Starmie without it letting it do anything to it first and then freezes the Chansey immediately on switch-in, while in the second Jynx lands Lovely Kiss on Chansey (FriendOfMrGolem120's Sleeper) and effectively lets Aliss play a 6v5.

You are also missing some things that should be included in a general Jynx spotlight - notably Blizzard's freeze chance against switch-ins such as Chansey and Starmie making Jynx very capable of starting a game up 6v4 in the matter of turns and how Rest lets it act as a sleep block or sleep sack, especially against mono-Ice Beam Chansey

I hope you can use the additional characters you have at your disposal (~400, you can get to 1000 without spaces) to focus more on what's specifically being spotlighted (Back Jynx) and fine-tune some of your other points about Jynx as a whole. I would prefer most of the spotlight talk about Back Jynx specifically (i.e. switching in Turn 1 and the benefits) and the rest can be briefly talking about the movies (i.e. why does Jynx run Psychic).

Please tag me again when you have made the requested changes. Since Amaranth's PC is broken and I supplied the set, I will be handling QCing.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Back Jynx has emerged as a threat to look out for in RBY OU.
I would reword this sentence to more along the lines of "switching Jynx in Turn 1 as emerged as a line to look out for in RBY OU."
It can come in on a predicted Chansey switch in and safely use Lovely Kiss.
You should give more context about the lead matchup - something like after leading with Starmie or Alakazam, Jynx can come in on a opposing Chansey or Exeggutor switch-in and safety use Lovely Kiss against a slower opponent. There are other ways to use Back Jynx but I feel like this example is appropriate for a spotlight.
By doing this, it can avoid Paralysis from Starmie's Thunder Wave and Exeggutor's Stun Spore.
Should be Thunder Wave from Starmie or Alakazam - remove the Exeggutor mention.
and also lets it act as a sleep blocker or sleep sack, especially with Mono-Chansey Ice Beam.
Against mono-Ice Beam Chansey, not with.
Because Jynx has middling speed, faster pokemon such as Jolteon and Alakazam are appreciated for the lead position, allowing Jynx to come in on a double switch.
I would remove this sentence and simply keep the mention Starmie and Alakazam at the beginning as potential options for leads with using Back Jynx.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add Remove Comment
Jynx
- Lovely Kiss
- Blizzard
- Psychic
- Rest (added linebreak under)

Never fear, for the Ice Queen is here! Sporting access to the incredible Lovely Kiss, switching Jynx switching in Turn 1 as emerged as a line has become a play to look out for in RBY OU. Usually, Starmie and Alakazam are leads for back Jynx due to their great speed and ability (speed part is true ofc but idt its needed for a jynx specific spotlight) with Jynx to force a switch to Exeggutor or Chansey, who Jynx excels against. After the Starmie or Alakazam lead, Jynx can come in on an opposing Chansey or Exeggutor switch in and Chansey. As that switch happens, Jynx comes in to safely use Lovely Kiss against a slower opponent. By doing this, it can avoid Paralysis from Starmie or Alakazam's Thunder Wave. Additionally, it lessens the odds of Jynx getting KO'd by Surf or Seismic Toss before getting off a Lovely Kiss. either slower foe; this process means Starmie or Alakazam can't paralyze or KO Jynx beforehand. With Blizzard, it can potentially Freeze freeze switch-ins such as Chansey and Starmie, quickly turning games into a 6v4 in a few turns. It can also strike foes such as Rhydon and Exeggutor for super effective damage. (removed hyphen) Psychic can hit threats such as Gengar and Lapras hard while potentially lowering the Special of Pokemon such as Chansey, making it them less effective. Rest allows Jynx to heal up and remove up, remove status such as Paralysis and also lets it act as a sleep blocker or sleep sack, paralysis, and block sleep at will, (I imagine this works?) especially against mono-Ice Beam Chansey. (added linebreak under)

See Jynx in action here:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ou-649305
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen1ou-601774

Adeleine.gif

GP Team done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)