RBY Cup VIII - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion

Art by MiniArchitect
Rules & Tournament Format

General Tournament Rules

• This is a standard RBY OU tournament
  • This tournament will be Single Elimination
  • Rounds will be Best of Three. You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown! If you can't agree on which server to play on, the Smogtours server is the default option.
  • Replays will not be required until Quarterfinals.
  • Activity calls will be made by me, potentially with neutral assistance from a Tournament Director. Coin flips will be done publicly on PS!
  • In the event that something is added to or removed from the RBY OU metagame in the middle of a round, that change will be in effect starting the next round.
  • Do not cheat. Cheating will result in a disqualification. Additional punishments may be applied as necessary. Cheating includes, but is not limited to:
    • Signing up with more than one account
    • Ghosting or being ghosted by another player (e.g. while playing a set, asking for advice about what plays to make)
    • Manipulating match outcomes (e.g. throwing a match in exchange for Smogon likes)
  • Do not harass or insult your opponents. I reserve the right to disqualify anyone breaking this rule. Additional punishments may be applied as necessary.
Standard Rules and Clauses
  • Standard Clauses / Mods
    • Desync Clause Mod: Desyncs changed to move failure.
    • Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
    • Freeze Clause Mod: Limit one foe frozen
    • Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokémon
    • OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
    • Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
    • Endless Battle Clause: Forcing endless battles is banned
    • HP Percentage Mod: HP is shown in percentages
  • Banned Moves
    • Dig, Double Team, Fissure, Fly, Guillotine, Horn Drill, Minimize
  • Banned Pokemon
    • Mew, Mewtwo
Prize

This tournament will award points towards Smogon Classic VIII
as well as the 2022 RBY OU Circuit, which awards a ribbon to the winner of the entire circuit. If you win the Cup itself, you also get a spot in the RBY Hall of Fame! There will also be special role given to you in the RBY Discord Server.

Resources

RBY OU Discord
RBY OU Forum
RBY Resource Hub
Mechanics Guide
RBY Speed Guide
RBY OU Sample Teams
RBY OU Viability Rankings

Round 7

HSOWA  vs  shiloh
august  vs  chuva de perereca
Maya Chansey  vs  LNumbers

Please read this guide if you're unsure how to schedule with your opponent! Alternatively, watch this video made by teal6:

Round 7 will end Sunday September 18th at 9:00 PM GMT-4.
Round 6 extensions will end Wednesday September 14th at 9:00 PM GMT-4.

Replays are now required for all matches.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me on Discord or through Smogon PM/VM.

Have fun :heart:

Last edited:

Malekith

Daddy.
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
Hello everyone, as you may noticed, the extension deadline is over and the match between me and LNumbers hasn't been played, and I'm gonna explain to all of you why.

lnumbers1.png

Our first attempt to schedule was going to nowhere, we both threw random times, and that is the exact way you don't schedule. I was the one who contacted him in his wall, and threw the first time, after he refused cause it was too late, I offered another time, not late, but he couldn't do it either and just said "nah, working during that time", so I already saw this person was gonna be difficult to schedule with.

lnumbers2.png

He couldn't make my times, so I asked about the time he dropped in the weekend, he basically threw me a random hour and no more. I asked if that was his only available time and he never responded.

I saw we have some compatibility in the extension days, so I told him that Monday should be good to go, but "Should be good" means what it means, is not a settled time, it exactly means that at first it could work, but if not, I'm full free Tuesday and Wednesday (as I said right after: one of the others for sure)

After that message, when we both agree on playing in the extensions days, I sent him my discord to keep talking there, so we had no problems, as communicating there is easier and we both have the discord app in our phones. He basically didn't add me and sent me back his own discord.

So yeah, I was the one who added him again.

lnumbers3.png

lnumbers4.png

This is our first talk in discord, I added him, and after I saw he accepted me, I say hi to say to him ASAP I finally couldn't make the series on that day (Monday). He answered a bit late and didn't saw his hello back, so I just saw the message when he said "u good to go?, u there?" so that's when I noticed him that, it was in the time window of the games so I haven't missed anytime because: I was there to notice him and we never settled 100% that time, it was just a time that could work, but, otherwise, like all of us do in this forums, had 2 days as the backups.

He knew we never scheduled 100% Monday so we scheduled for Wednesday in that exact moment, and that was a schedule and a confirmation: "Do you want to schedule that exact one?" -> "yeah, sounds good".

Finally, we had a time to play, it wasn't the best time for me since I work at afternoons-evenings, but if we didn't settle a time we could've never been able to play the games, so I moved a couple of things to make it done.

lnumbers5.png

He notices me He may be late, and I respond back I have to leave because I scheduled all my obligations around the game (before and after). But since he noticed me, and as the guidelines say, I have to wait for him 30 minutes, not the standard 15 minutes.

Quote from the official guidelines:

If your opponent isn't online, it's time to wait for them to get on. The standard wait time is 15 minutes (30 minutes if your opponent communicates a delay to you). If your opponent isn't online and the wait time has elapsed, their status has officially shifted from "a bit late" to "no-show" and you have grounds to claim an activity win. After this point or whenever you're no longer able to wait (whichever comes later) you can post in the original scheduling messages or in the tournament thread explaining that you were online at the scheduled time and they never showed up.

lnumbers6.png

The 30 minutes of wait are close to end, and he sends me a message at 19:25 saying "u there?" I respond immediately "yes", since I wanted the games to be done, even tho he was really late, he was "on time".

After that message I kept waiting in both discord and stours and he never came, so I ended up waiting till 19:31 (1 minute past what the guidelines say so there are no doubts) and procced to send him the message that I could not wait anymore and I was gonna leave.

------------------

After some drama because he was angry (don't miss the scheduled time then) and after he talked to a TD and maked up the situation, looking like I was dodging him (Remember: I contacted him, I added him, I asked for more times for the weekend and never got an answer, We scheduled a time, and I was the one who was waiting for him) I offered him another time to play that day (extensions deadline) and this was the answer:

lnumbers7.png

From all of you that doesn't understand spanish I was just saying that we could play at 1:00 since I will be back home (and was the time I originally suggested in his wall) since he missed the time, at least do an effort, mate.
But he just said "no" and "we play right now" which was impossible.

------------------

This is all the story, with all the screens, all the facts and the truth shown and told, no edits, nothing, just what it happened.

Also, in the exact moment he noticed me @ being late, I DM'd the host (emma) and told them what was going on, so I had no problems (and I'm finally having them with no reason) This was at 18:29, still half and hour before the scheduled time.

For all of this I'm claiming my activity win. I know this is a delicate situation because it involves play-offs, but a no-show is a no-show, it doesn't matter if it is in quarterfinals or in Round 2, and activity wins happens everywhere at everytime, I'm pretty sure all the guys in play-offs have had activity wins at some point of the tournament and nothing has happened.

We all have obligations and we can't be here full time to play the game, we move our real life to play and if a person can't finally make it, they should have scheduled better, and if something more importante happens it is absolutely ok, it can happen to anyone, but you move on and play more tournaments.

I think this is all stated that I made all the efforts I need to do to play the series, I didn't dodged anyone, please, I'm here for 13 years now, that statement is absurd. And as my SCL mate Raiza told me:

Raizahoy a las 12:30
i want my act loss in bw cup revoked then

This is not being trated as what it is, every round is the same.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to make it public so everyone knows what happened.

emma

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
After discussion with both players and multiple Tournament Directors, the last Quarterfinals matchup is being extended until Sunday 9 PM GMT-4.

An additional extension bringing the total extended time to an entire week is obviously undesirable for all, but it is less undesirable than coinflipping a Quarterfinals matchup that significantly affects Classic Playoffs or giving out an undeserved activity win.

The match is currently scheduled for Sunday 1 PM GMT+2. There will be no further extensions.

You are being given a full 14 days to play one set of RBY OU. Please get the set done.

Last edited:

Malekith

Daddy.
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
Got robbed game 1 and game 3, at least in this cup we have replays.

Shoutouts to TPP and to Merritt for breaking the rules whenever they want to save their friends. Remember that 2/4 18-points people are also TDs. So yeah, rules are a joke and are there just for when they want to apply them, not always.

Got robbed game 1 and game 3, at least in this cup we have replays.

Shoutouts to TPP and to Merritt for breaking the rules whenever they want to save their friends. Remember that 2/4 18-points people are also TDs. So yeah, rules are a joke and are there just for when they want to apply them, not always.
I think the criteria applied in the extension was correct as a semi-final where the players have qualified by winning a Bo3 is preferable. Smogon tournaments are designed to be tests of skill, and that idea should be especially prevalent in the later stages of a championship.

...anyway, I'll analyze your games to see if luck was or wasn't a significant determinant.

Dorron

BLU LOBSTAH
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Champion
I think the criteria applied in the extension was correct as a semi-final where the players have qualified by winning a Bo3 is preferable. Smogon tournaments are designed to be tests of skill, and that idea should be especially prevalent in the later stages of a championship.
Do you know what's preferable? Having an opponent that knows what respecting the other part of the schedule is and not acting like a kid who needs Daddy to do everything for them or instead the games aren't played.

A player tried to schedule for a week and a half in a week per round tournament, and their opponent not only was very helpless in the scheduling process but missed the first schedule they made and when he was asked to reschedule even after the first player could have claimed act win, he refused to schedule and asked for the games to be played right then, disrespecting the player's time in every single moment again and again.

Why wasn't act win given here? Because it was playoffs? Fuck that, rules are there to be followed. If you are not going to give act wins in playoffs let me know so I can be as helpful as LNumbers here with the scheduling whenever I face someone I don't like.

ninjadog, I'm so sorry the best proposal in years hasn't been answered yet, but we will keep strong against the injustice we face.

Do you know what's preferable? Having an opponent that knows what respecting the other part of the schedule is and not acting like a kid who needs Daddy to do everything for them or instead the games aren't played.

A player tried to schedule for a week and a half in a week per round tournament, and their opponent not only was very helpless in the scheduling process but missed the first schedule they made and when he was asked to reschedule even after the first player could have claimed act win, he refused to schedule and asked for the games to be played right then, disrespecting the player's time in every single moment again and again.

Why wasn't act win given here? Because it was playoffs? Fuck that, rules are there to be followed. If you are not going to give act wins in playoffs let me know so I can be as helpful as LNumbers here with the scheduling whenever I face someone I don't like.

ninjadog, I'm so sorry the best proposal in years hasn't been answered yet, but we will keep strong against the injustice we face.
If I were a judge and had to resolve an ambiguous situation, I would apply a criterion that would make the best of a situation. In this case there are 2 players who want to play a Bo3 to advance to the semi-finals and that is a positive aspect of this case. On the other hand, Smogon's tournaments are designed to be tests of skill and that's why in order to get through the round you need to beat your opponent. In this way, an extraordinary extension allows players to have the game they want and also the tournament maintains its spirit. It should also be noted that we are in an advanced phase of the tournament and I assume that the decision of the judges is to give an extra extension to resolve an ambiguous situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)