Project Rating Practice Teams [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Approved by the RMT Moderation team
Cohosted by vivalospride

Welcome to the first round of Sword and Shield for Rating Practice teams!

Each week we will be visiting different tiers and providing teams for aspiring raters to have a chance to rate quality teams as well as receive feedback on your rates and potentially become a new team rater. Our current judges for each tier are:

OU: TPP, Curiosity, Jordy, Analytic
UU: Vivalospride, Twilight, Analytic
Ubers: Mysterious M, Cynara
RU: MrAldo, Zizalith, Cyrogyro, Analytic
NU: Quziel, Rabia
PU: Shuckledeath, Specs, Yogi
LC: Coconut, Fiend, Jake
DOU: Yuichii, Yellow Paint,
Monotype: Maroon, Eien, Ticken
AG: Vivalospride Pigeons

Old Gens: Coming soon!

If you're an aspiring rater, then these will hopefully allow you to pick up on and address any problems with your rating, provide you with experience rating teams that have been specifically made to be as tough to rate as possible, and make you think creatively in order to find the best changes for the team. Any rates we receive will be replied to with personalized feedback by our dedicated raters. At the end of the round, we'll give some general hints and feedback on how things went, and post the best rate that we received as an example of how to rate the team.

Anyone is welcome to participate and send in their rate, and everyone will be guaranteed to receive feedback appropriate to the effort they put into their rate, regardless of their ability. However, to keep things fair, we won't be considering rates sent in by official Team Raters as winners of the best rate.

This week's tier is Gen 8 LC. If you would like to participate in this round, PM your rate to Coconut, Fiend, jake and myself by the 9th of February at 11:59PM PST.

-Round 1: Decem
-Round 2:

Round 2 will be featuring a team by myself.

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Defog

Timburrs access to Defog and impressive Defense and Attack stat made me really want to build a bulkier team around it. Nothing too fancy about the set. Drain Punch gives it longevity, which when paired Defog makes it quite reliable at removing hazards. Thunder Punch allows it to hit fighting-type switch-ins like Drifloon, Mareanie, and Wingull. Mach Punch allows Timburr to pick off faster, weakened foes.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
Ferroseed was my next Pokemon of choice as it's able to check Fairy-types such as Cutiefly and Spritzee, as well as have an immunity to Toxic and is able to provide the team with brilliant support in Spikes to punish switches, Knock Off to remove items, making opposing Pokemon easier to take out and Thunder Wave to cripple faster threats and compensate for this team's lack of speed.

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Ferroseed + Spritzee is a classic core for bulkier teams so it's no surprise that it made is way here. Wish Support provides the whole team with more longevity, while Aromatherapy allows the team to not become crippled by status, which can be important for Timburr removing Toxic Spikes. It also provides the team with a better matchup against Vullaby.

Munchlax @ Berry Juice
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Facade
- Fire Punch
- Recycle

Munchlax seemed like another pokemon that fitted the bulky offense theme. Thick Fat allows it to act as a switch-in to the Fire-type attacks that Ferroseed dislikes. Facade seems like a nice choice as it allows it to switch into Drifloon and Scalds from Mareanie and at +1 you're still breaking Drifloon's substitute, while you're taking minimal damage from Thunderbolt.

Frillish @ Eviolite
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 236 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpA / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Scald
- Strength Sap

Frillish is there to block Rapid Spins, and cripple physical attackers like Corphish, while also providing the team with a fighting-type immunity to support Munchlax. Strength Sap is also great as it allows you to beat physical setup sweepers and improve the matchup against Guts Timburr. Will-O-Wisp + Hex is also great

Mudbray @ Eviolite
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Mudbray provides the team with Stealth Rock support, allowing Ferrroseed to run Spikes, while providing the team with a secondary answer to Pokemon like Vullaby, Timburr, and Onix. It pairs brilliantly with Munchlax as Mudbray is brilliant at soaking up physical attacks thanks to Defiant and it also heavily appreciates the Wish Support provided by Spritzee.

importable:
https://pokepast.es/53680f7dc0e81023

Last edited:
Stoward is too lazy to bump his own thread so for those of you unaware this project is now active and has been updated to start off with SS Monotype. If you are interested in rating for this tier contact the above raters stated in the OP via PM with your rate.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Apologies for the delay. My laptop broke and it took much longer than anticipated to get it fixed. Thanks everyone who participated! I personally enjoyed seeing all of the different approaches for tackling this team. You've all received feedback in your PMs for your rate and how they can be improved further. Round 1's winner goes to Decem who took a rather unique approach for rating this team, by making it into a Tailwind offense. While this is typically unorthodox, making this particular team into a Tailwind offense and adding Dracozolt as together they can form a wallbreaking core and Tailwind allows both of them to be able to fully utilize their signature moves Fishious Rend and Bolt Beak as they both double in power when they move first. Other changes included replacing Ice Fang with Outrage on Dracovish for more breaking power, Flamethrower over Flash Cannon on Hydreigon to improve the Steel matchup and changing Duraludon to a Choice Scarf set to provide the team with a more effective form of speed control - most noteably allowing it to have a more reliable answer to Choice Scarf Gardevoir, while adding Thunder Wave to also help compensate for the team's otherwise slower pace.

Hi maroon, I think you have a nice team, although I would like to suggest some changes. Let's dive into some of my suggestions!

:ss/duraludon:
-->

Thunderbolt --> Thunder Wave
My first change would be to change Duraludon's item to a Choice Scarf set. Since the only Choice Scarf user on this team is Dracovish at the moment, which is slower than Gardevoir, this team would really appreciate Duraludon as another form of Speed control that can beat Choice Scarf Gardevoir. I would also do Thunder Wave over Thunderbolt on the team, because Flash Cannon actually doesn't OHKO Gardevoir from full without Stealth Rock chip, and if Duraludon's your Stealth Rock setter, then that's still no good because Choice Scarf Gardevoir still essentially rips apart your team. That's why I think Thunder Wave and Stealth Rock Duraludon's the best bet here based on this team to cripple Gardevoir too, and it helps a ton with role compression, being able to outspeed and take on faster threats like Choice Scarf Gardevoir and Dragapult that Dracovish can't outspeed for the team as well as set Stealth Rock and spread status.
Duraludon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

:sm/kommo-o: --> :ss/dracozolt:
My next change would be to run a Dracozolt over Kommo-o. Kommo-o's Clangerous Soul set just isn't the best in my opinion. Even on this team, Hydreigon covers Grass and Steel, Dracovish and Hydreigon cover Ground, Dracovish and Duraludon covers Dark, and so on, and it's not exactly that consistent either. I would actually just replace it with Dracozolt since it forms a wallbreaking core with Dracovish and can just rip apart teams right off of the bat without having to rely on a shaky move like Clangerous Soul. Substitute allows it to set up on forced switches and weaker Pokemon, and Zap Plate is used to boost the power of Dracozolt's strongest attack, Bolt Beak.
Dracozolt @ Zap Plate
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bolt Beak
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

:ss/dracovish:
Ice Fang --> Outrage
My third change would be to change Ice Fang to Outrage on Dracovish. Ice Fang is too weak to do anything, and Outrage can at least hit Dragon types like the Hydreigon you mentioned harder and others like Seismitoad which would switch in on Fisheous Rend, although it does switch in rather easily on Outrage too. You won't be using it very often, but Outrage is generally the better choice over Ice Fang because Ice Fang is just so weak.
Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Outrage

:sm/hydreigon:
Flash Cannon --> Flamethrower
Flash Cannon is horrible on Nasty Plot Hydreigon because it can't OHKO most Fairy-type Pokemon unless it acquires a boost, which Hydreigon cannot afford to do because common Fairy-type Pokemon such as Togekiss and Hatterene still give it issues so it can't set up on them. It's a very useless coverage move otherwise. That's why I think Flamethrower's a much better move here, even if you have Fire STAB on Dragapult, it capitalizes on the Steel and Grass matchups even more, and cannot be scouted by Protect users like Ferrothorn and Appletun like Dragapult can. Definitely a better move on Hydreigon.
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse

:sm/noivern:
-->

Draco Meteor -->
Tailwind
I really do feel like Tailwind's a good option here to support the rest of the team by charging it up with Speed, especially with Dracozolt being rather slow. It's a lesser used move, but the Speed is super important as an offensive type, and 4 turns of boosted Speed can easily change the tide against opposing teams. Heavy Duty Boots also negates Stealth Rock damage, which is very nice as a Defog user. Choice Scarf Noivern is another option for the Dragon mirror, but we already have two Choice Scarf users on this team, so let's just run Tailwind here. Tailwind is also good in the Dragon mirror if you can find an opportunity to use it, while Noivern still has the ability to serve as a hazard remover with Defog on this team, so this fits perfectly.
Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Defog
- Tailwind

With these changes, I've tried to make this team better and a bit more unique with the addition of the more uncommon Tailwind Noivern and other changes, but I do hope you enjoy the team! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me on Pokemon Showdown!, Discord, or Smogon as Decem.

Here's the full team:

Tailwind Offense
:ss/duraludon: :ss/dracozolt::ss/dracovish: :ss/dragapult: :sm/hydreigon: :sm/noivern:
Duraludon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Light Metal
Timid Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Draco Meteor
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock

Dracozolt @ Zap Plate
Ability: Hustle
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Bolt Beak
- Fire Fang
- Dragon Claw

Dracovish @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Fishious Rend
- Outrage
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- Defog
- Tailwind

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)