Gen 7 Rate My Team- Generation 7 OU (Stall)

I would like to have some feedback on this Generation 7 OU stall team. I've had a lot of success with it, reaching the ladder top 10 on Pokemon Showdown.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

Sableye functions as the primary lead on this team. Sablenite allows it to evolve into Mega-Sableye. Prankster allows unevolved Sableye to burn physical threats before they can respond. EVs and nature are chosen to maximize defense as Sableye acts as Physical Wall.

Protect allows Sableye to scout the opponent's moves, PP stall, Choice-Lock pokemon, and mega-evolve immediately, without fear of entry hazards due to Mega-Sableye's Magic Bounce ability. Knock Off gets a STAB bonus and is used to remove items, especially against other stall teams. Will-O-Wisp is used to cripple physical threats and induce passive damage. Recover is also used for scouting, PP stall, and to maintain Sableye's longevity.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Wish
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Blissey functions as the Special Wall, Wish Passer, and Stealth Rock Setter on this team. Leftovers provides passive recovery. Natural Cure allows Blissey to shrug off status changes, especially poison. EVs and nature are chosen to maximize defense, as Blissey already has plenty of special defense to perform its role.

Protect allows Blissey to scout the opponent's moves, PP stall, Choice-Lock pokemon, receive extra passive leftovers recovery, and guarantee Wish recovery. Wish is used to heal Blissey, as well as its teammates. Ice Beam threatens many pokemon that would otherwise defeat or set up on Blissey (Garchomp, Landorus-T, Dragonite), and no pokemon is completely immune to it. Stealth Rock allows Blissey to set up entry hazards, and due to Blissey's longevity, it tends to have many opportunities to do so.

Note: I have opted against eviolite Chansey. Chansey does not function as well as a Wish Passer, as it lacks leftovers recovery when using Protect. I have found Ice Beam gives Blissey much more offensive presence than Seismic Toss gives Chansey, as well as the occasional lucky Frozen status. Despite the extra defense, Chansey struggles much more against teams with Knock Off than Blissey.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Haze

Toxapex functions as a Physical Wall. Black Sludge allows passive recovery, while punishing Trick users. Regenerator provides recovery on the switch, which is outstanding. EVs and nature are chosen to maximize defense.

Scald has STAB and is used to burn physical threats. Baneful Bunker allows Toxapex to scout moves, PP stall, Choice-Lock pokemon, receive extra passive black sludge recovery, and poison physical attackers, especially those that could one-shot Toxapex (Mega-Mawile, Mega-Medicham, boosted Hawlucha). Recover is also used for scouting, PP stall, and to maintain Toxapex's longevity. Haze shuts down pokemon who try to set up on Toxapex.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
Relaxed Nature
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower
- Leech Seed

Celesteela functions as a Physical Wall. Leftovers allows passive recovery. Beast Boost allows Celesteela to boost its Defense whenever it causes an opposing pokemon to faint with an attack. EVs and nature are chosen to maximize defense (speed is sacrificed as Celesteela is a mixed attacker).

Protect allows Celesteela to scout moves, PP stall, Choice-Lock pokemon, and receive extra passive leftovers recovery. Heavy Slam is a powerful STAB attack. Flamethrower is super effective against steel pokemon (who resist Heavy Slam), and grass pokemon (who are immune to Leech Seed). Leech Seed heals Celesteela as well as other teammates who switch in on seeded pokemon, and it can also be used to force out certain pokemon.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Rock Tomb
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian functions as a Physical Sweeper. Flyinium Z allows Landorus-T to perform a powerful STAB Supersonic Skystrike. Intimidate cuts the attack of opposing pokemon. EVs and nature are chosen to maximize attack and speed (I opted for adamant for extra power rather than extra speed, as it helps breakthrough certain Defensive Walls).

Earthquake is a powerful STAB attack. Fly enables the strongest STAB Supersonic Skystrike. Rock Tomb checks certain flying pokemon and can be used to lower the speed of switch-ins. U-turn provides momentum, allowing Landorus-T to pivot to one of my Walls.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Transform

Ditto functions as a Revenge Killer. Choice Scarf allows it to outspeed non-scarfed pokemon (bar unburden Hawlucha) and speed tie scarfed pokemon. Imposter allows Ditto to copy pokemon and their stat boosts immediately. EVs are chosen to maximize HP, the only stat that Ditto does not copy. IVs are chosen to give Hidden Power Ground (occasionally used to hit opposing Heatran).

Transform is the only move Ditto learns, and it can be used only when Imposter fails (against opposing Ditto).

General Comments about this Team:

Sableye's Dark/Ghost typing allows it to check certain pokemon, such as Reuniclus, that lack a threatening move. Blissey fears little from Special Attackers, so it can switch in with impunity if all Physical Attackers are burned or knocked out. Toxapex counters Bulky Waters (such as Keldeo and Azumarill) and fears little from Physical Attackers barring Earthquake users, as the vast majority of Electric and Psychic move users are Special. Baneful Bunker allows Toxapex to poison Substitute/Belly Drum/Drain Punch/Thunder Punch Kommo-o, as well as U-turn Greninja and U-turn Tapu-Koko. Celesteela counters choiced Tapu-Lele and most Psyshock users. Landorus-T can use intimidate to keep Dragon Dancers and Swords Dancers in check, while also weakening physical fire pokemon like Mega-Charizard X that cannot be burned. Landorus-T can switch in on predicted electric moves such as Volt Switch, although it fears Hidden Power Ice. Ditto can revenge kill many otherwise challenging pokemon, such as Mega-Swampert in the rain, and punish Dragon Dancers that set up too much. Ditto can also be used to PP stall pokemon, especially against stall teams that knock off its Choice Scarf.

Notable Team Weaknesses:

Heatran. The Magma Storm variant causes problems for this team. Magma Storm damages Sableye, Celesteela, and Landorus-T heavily. While Toxapex and Blissey can tank Magma Storm, Heatran often carries Earth Power (or occasionally Bloom Doom) to eliminate Toxapex, as well as Taunt to shut down recovery. However, due to Magma Storm's low PP and mere 70% accuracy, Heatran can be somewhat PP stalled using a combination of Protect, Baneful Bunker, and luck. Landorus-T outspeeds Heatran and can revenge kill it with earthquake. Toxapex can pick off a weakened Heatran with Scald. Ditto can copy Earth Power or Hidden Power Ground, but the opponent will know this and switch out.

Hoopa-Unbound. Hyperspace Fury, despite its low PP, breaks through Protect and Baneful Bunker. Nothing on this team resists Dark moves, which means it can 2 shot every pokemon on the team if it holds Choice Band. Prankster Sableye cannot preemptively Will-O-Wisp Hoopa-Unbound due to its Dark typing. Blissey fears Knock Off and can do little with Ice Beam. Toxapex has to hope for a burn with Scald or accept a free hit from Hyperspace Fury if it wants to poison Hoopa-Unbound with Baneful Bunker. Celesteela fears Fire Punch. Landorus-T fears Ice Punch, although it can U-turn non-scarfed Hoopa-Unbound. Ditto can revenge kill Hoopa-Unbound, but it must watch out for scarfed variants.

Hawlucha. Hawlucha with Unburden cannot be revenge killed by Ditto, as Ditto is outsped and knocked out by Acrobatics. If Hawlucha pulls off a Swords Dance and a Substitute, it is very difficult to defeat, unless it crashes with High Jump Kick. Drain Punch can also heal off poison damage from poison caused by Baneful Bunker.

Gliscor. Gliscor running Substitute, Roost, and/or Protect can be difficult to take down. Although Blissey can hit it with Ice Beam, Gliscor can PP stall it out. Celesteela fears little in terms of direct attacks, but Gliscor can Substitute to avoid Leech Seed and PP stall Flamethrower. Ditto cannot take advantage of Toxic Heal easily as it lacks a Toxic Orb.

Kartana. Sableye has usually been knocked out or has mega-evolved by the time Kartana comes out, limiting the likelihood of Will-O-Wisp being an option. Toxapex relies on Scald to burn it. Celesteela is the only true counter to Kartana; however, it does not appreciate Knock Off on the switch in. Ditto can revenge kill it, but it must watch out for speed ties with Choice Scarf variants.

Update: Thanks for the feedback. I probably should mention that I'm mostly looking for feedback on the movesets, items, and EV spreads, rather than changing the actual pokemon on the team. I regularly swap out Baneful Bunker for Toxic/Toxic Spikes on Toxapex, as well as Rock Tomb for Stone Edge/Knock Off/Superpower on Landorus-T. In practice, using Chansey over Blissey has been less effective for me.

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I did a rate on a stall team on a different site not that long ago and this team bears a single, major flaw, vulnerability to swords dance users. Despite having multiple physically defensive pokemon, the swords dance user can just go triple dance and power thru the entire team. The most dangerous is probably Gliscor and Garchomp as they both outspeed Landorus Therian

First, I'd change Celesteela to Skarmory. That bird is probably Blissey's best friend until gen four. Skarmory provides you with much needed control against the swords dancers while being an even more annoying physical wall. It also provides you with much needed defog as your team is that vulnerable to spikes and toxic spikes. This is the set that I recommend

Skarmory @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roar
- Defog
- Roost
- Spikes

It is taunt bait but Skarmory does suffer the four moveslot syndrome but I think it would be worth it. It would provide you with hazard control as well as adding even more hazards to the enemy. The biggest role is that it prevents the mentioned ground types from getting too far with their boosts since well, Skarmory is a pain in the ass. It also deals with your Hawlucha problem and completely nullifies it's seed if ill timed

Next change is replace Ditto with Tapu Lele. While Ditto might be a good way to deal with boosting pokemon, stall teams usually suffer against Tapu Fini simply because its terrain stops most status altogether and it comes with the benefit of checking swords dancers like Garchomp. If the swords dancers somehow have choice scarf, then Skarmory completely stuffs them. Here is the set

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast / HP Fire

Tapu Lele would serve as your main sweeper as well as a second Mega Medicham counter, as once Sableye goes down, Medicham is gonna have one hell of a time, as well as checking the swords dancers. Even Kartana, who resists psychic, gets one shotted by it under terrain. It's other main role is to deny Fini its terrain as well as checking Hoopa Unbound

Moveset changes

On Blissey, I'd change stealth rock > toxic. It's a stall team and status is your main source of damage and you don't really have a way to inflict status other than baneful bunker

On Landorus, replace rock tomb > stealth rock. You don't really need speed control since your team is slow in the first place. Also, Lando is one of the best rock users in the tier, rivaled only by Garchomp or Heatran probably. As such, take full advantage of how Lando is considered the king of ou

I also have one thing for you to consider. Since Skarmory will have the hazard control duties, I'd drop mega Sableye entirely and just stick to regular prankster Sableye so it will be a big pain in the ass. You can switch it in and further stall with priority recover. I'd give it one of the pinch berries or leftovers but that's just something you should consider

Another one would be to put even more pressure by replacing bunker on Toxapex with toxic spikes. Not really gonna suggest this since Pex is so dominant that the t spikes would just get absorbed but it still pressures your opponent to remove them asap

The third one is using Garchomp over Landorus if heatran proves to be a problem as it does resist magma storm and threatens it out. It does have to watch out for a z move though

Here's a sample team
https://pokepast.es/d69be5fdb98b323f

Last edited:
Hello ihajlkfjkl and thanks for your RMT, it's really courageous to send a stall team in smogon.
So your team has a solid base but I see some problem and I’m here to improve it

Minior Change

:sableye-mega:
Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Protect

I think spe def Sableye is actually better than defensive sableye. He is a good check a Heatran Trapper and prevent greninja Spikes if you trying to switch on Chansey. Can also block threatening pokemon like Blacephalon.

Major Change

:chansey: > :blissey:
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Chansey is better than Blissey in SM OU because Eviolite increases by 1,5x his defense and special defense. I also change your set for a stealth rock/toxic setup which is helpful to pressure your opponent. Ice Beam is not really necessary because Landorus T is not a big probleme and I fixed your problem in front of Dragonite and Garchomp.

:skarmory: > :celesteela:
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet/Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Counter

Well you needed a pokemon can come into physical attack. He is also a good check at Mega Mawile and Hoopa-Unbound band. Spikes can pressure your opponent if his defog his dead or low life.

:gliscor: > :landorus-therian:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 76 SpD / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off

Heatran can be really annoying, Gliscor is a good check at him and threaten to kill him. Also need a defog to remove hazard if you sableye mega is weaken. Can be a good pp pp stall with roost and poison heal.

:shedinja:> :ditto:
Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp

Or

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor
- Will-O-Wisp

Well Tapu Lele, Mega Medicham, Reuniclus CM/ double dance, mega latias cm, magearna, clefable can be a Huge problem. Shedinja can stop a lot of stall breaker. Added with Sableye Mega and Gliscor his problem with hazard does not exist. I hesitated with 2 set shadow ball protect double status or SD sweeper. The both are good and I let you choose what you want.

:shedinja:> :ditto:
Shedinja @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Toxic
- Will-O-Wisp

Or

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor
- Will-O-Wisp

Well Tapu Lele, Mega Medicham, Reuniclus CM/ double dance, mega latias cm, magearna, clefable can be a Huge problem. Shedinja can stop a lot of stall breaker. Added with Sableye Mega and Gliscor his problem with hazard does not exist. I hesitated with 2 set shadow ball protect double status or SD sweeper. The both are good and I let you choose what you want.
Having Shedinja is a joke, and so is Ditto.
1) PU tier
2) Can die in 1 hit if the mons have the right moves for it

MurderousMantyke

What sʇᴉɯᴉ⅂?
Having Shedinja is a joke, and so is Ditto.
1) PU tier
2) Can die in 1 hit if the mons have the right moves for it
Clearly you didn't read any of where they explained why shed is a valid choice. Also, a Mon being in a lower tier doesn't make it invalid in higheer ones,especially with a specific niche as in this case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)