rate my gen 4 team

there are some funny things about this team,when I made it picked pokemon that were just introduced in gen 4 without having pre-evolutions in past gens also even though this team does not look good on paper it actually performs surprisingly well and I get as many if not more victories when I use this team than when I use the sample teams on ruins of ralph.
I didn't know it was possible to make a good team by accident.what are the odds?

but there is still a minor issue my team has that I must be aware of:the copycat riolu.

the team is this:

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature (-sp.def +speed)
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Explosion
- Taunt

Bronzong @ Macho Brace
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
Brave Nature (-speed +atk)
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Empoleon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (-atk+sp.atk)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Grass Knot

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire (-sp.def+speed)
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Explosion

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature (-sp.atk +sp.def)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Roar

Shaymin @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (-atk +speed)
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leech Seed

the roles of each pokemon:

azelf is the lead of the team,it is nearly guaranteed to set one stealth rock before it goes down.
the move psychic is so it can deal with machamp which is a pretty nasty lead.
its ability levitate can make it a safe switch to earthquake if it happens to survive and then explode.
and its taunt can make it a stall breaker.

bronzong is the trick room user.
the trick room can really mess with pokemon that boost their speed through rain dance sunny day agility dragon dance and choice skarf.
its great bulk nearly guarantees that it can use at least one move,and thanks to its super low speed which got lowered even more by macho brace the move gyro ball can often do high damage.
its access to earthquake makes it really difficult for magnezone to trap and kill it especially if the trick room has already been set up.

empoleon the bulky special sweeper of the team,it can hit pretty much everything in the meta game and deal at least neutral damage.
its excellent typing allows it to safely switch to most attacks out there and hit back hard thanks to the choice specs which give it high damage output.
the fact that it is holding a choice item means that it is not scared of the trickers that much.

heatran is the anti-meta pokemon of the metagame.since it is holding choice scarf it can outrun most pokemon.
its ability flash fire make it the best switch to a predicted fire attack,which is good since there are 2 other pokemon in my team weak to fire attacks.
unlike empoleon it is more of a fast sweeper rather than a bulky one,but if it uses hidden power grass then it needs to be carefull of any magnezones.

hippowdon is the actuall wall of the team.
originally it run slack off instead of crunch but I quickly realized that it does not get that many chances to use slack off and also being unable to touch non-grounded opponents sucks. the main strategy here is use stealth rock in case azelf failed to set them or in case the enemy used a rapid spinner to get rid of them and then roar so my opponents get damaged.

saymin is a pretty good special attacker.
being a pure grass type means that it can safely switch to a predicted earthquake (which is a move that threatens 2 other pokemon in my team).
its 100 base speed and the access to hidden power ice allows it to easily kill glisor and dragonite(gliscor always runs earthquake,dragonite runs it ocasionally).
seed flare's 40% chance of lowering special defence by not one but 2 stages is a super good nice which can force switches and in a few cases even destroy some special walls.

there is synergy on the team.
heatran and saymin are a pretty good core,heatran either resists or is immune to every single type that can shamin is weak to,and shaymin resists 2/3 types that heatrun is weak to.
also shaymin can help empoleon if it is in trouble since it resists electic attacks.
empoleon in general tends to ask the opponent to use an earthquake,and there are 3 pokemon in my team that can safely switch to a predicted earthquake.

my issue with this team is the copycat lucario.
the copycat lucarios use choice skarf and as result they can shut down my entire team if they get summoned with my hypodown's roar.

before you label my team as "bad" I reccomend you to give it a try first.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Double SR? Well,
If you're really worried about Copycat Lucario you can do Protect > SR Hippowdon, although on a team like this it doesn't really suit me. You can also try Scarf Flygon instead. If you keep Empo Specs, I think that as a lead it can surprise more, it usually goes well normally and that version the opponent does not expect. Otherwise, I consider Agility + 3 Atk to be your other option. The Azelf has an interesting variety of support items: Lum, Colbur, or Sitrus Berry. Sash is fine too, but if you want, you can try the one that works best for your team. As a fact, Jolly with 224 Def Evs and 200 HP, you can take Crunch from ttar lead scarf. You don't need Colbur with that cast anyway. Twave is interesting as an option to act as a lure, attracting precisely things like ttar.

The nice thing about such a team is that you can even consider switching to SR Empo lead and Azelf trading it in for something like DD Gyara, so you maintain offensive presence with the classic FWG core.

Hm, I think it would be nice to add something else that can take good advantage of TR besides the zong itself. Maybe a CB ttar as you hit hard and can catch things like Latias or Gengar (Tr on)

Well, I can't think of anything else, really the team already boasts a good base, just with a few small changes to improve.

I hope I have helped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)