SS Doubles OU Rate My First Doubles Rain Team

Hello! I'm relatively new to competitive battling (and this forum in general), and I've always loved rain teams as a play-style. I've created this team as offensive as possible, and have had some success with it climbing the Showdown ladder. I'm not entirely certain if my decisions are very good however, so I'm hoping I can get some help improving this team. I've never been good at figuring out competitive games on my own, so forgive me if some of these sets seem a illogical.

++The Team++

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Tailwind

I've chosen Pelipper as my main rain setter, as he is the only pokemon with Drizzle in the entire gen. His purpose beside setting up rain is to set up Tailwind for my two non Swift Swimmers to help them outspeed their targets, as well as assist in damaging the opposition. With Modest nature he can reliably 2HKO Rillaboom, or take him out in one turn with support from other damage dealers, which helps since Rillaboom is one of the strongest grass types in the gen as far as I can tell. Scald is there for a water stab and lucky burns on dangerous physical attackers like Ferrothorn. U-Turn is currently the only move I'm thinking of replacing as so far I rarely use it, although that might just be because I'm bad. I've tested him with Focus Sash but with the shown EV spread it rarely makes the difference, so I gave him a damp rock to keep rain up longer.
Image result for barraskewda gif

Barraskewda @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs
- Poison Jab

My main win con and physical sweeper is Barraskewda. This thing is a powerhouse moving super fast in rain, outspeeding every pokemon in the gen. I gave him Life Orb over Choice Band as I personally think Band is stronger on Ferrothorn (my next pokemon), but its something I'm open to changing if people really think Band is better on the fish. I'm running Waterfall over Liquidation, as even though its 5 less base power, the flinch can really save my life sometimes, especially when dealing with Orb recoil. Close Combat and Psychic Fangs are pretty standard, and I took Poison Jab over Aqua Jet as I personally feel he rarely has use for Jet, and Poison Jab gives him synergy with my special attackers during Dynamax on top of more coverage. EV's are fairly standard, seeking to outspeed and deal as much damage as possible.

ferrothorn.gif

Ferrothorn @ Choice Band
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 4 Def / 228 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball

One of my personal favorites on this team, Ferrothorn is an utter powerhouse with Choice Band. Even with just 28 Atk EVs, he's at least 2HKO'ing most pokemon that are weak to him in the tier, especially fairies. Hatterenne, and Gardevoir are both exploded by Iron head, while Alcremie gets vaporized by Gyro Ball. I tried a set that had Bulldoze to deal with opposing Steel types, but it didn't really help at all so I moved to Gyro Ball. Power Whip 2HKO's Rotom-W who tends to be hard to get rid of for me, as well as just being an insanely strong STAB move. Knock Off is used against Psychic types and pokemon with items I want gone. The EV spread is to maximize survivability without sacrificing his ability to eliminate the targets he needs to.

ludicolo.gif

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

My special sweeper as well as co-lead with Pelipper most games. A fairly standard set once again, with Hydro Pump giving him the damage he needs to blow things up. Giga Drain for longevity and a grass type STAB. Ice Beam helps with things like Dragapult, who otherwise I wouldn't have a really good answer for. Fake Out helps Pelipper set up Tailwind early, or helps disrupt later on if he ends up swapping in. I'm running Assault Vest as I have 4 attacks anyway, as well as making him that much stickier. EV situation is the same as Barraskewda, looking to outspeed and kill things as best I can. I will admit, he's mainly on this team because he is in fact my favorite pokemon.

raichu.gif

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 188 HP / 76 Def / 220 SpA / 8 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Fake Out
- Encore

My main support pokemon, Raichu is here to help everyone else do their job. Focus Sash allows him to stick as best he can, with Lightning Rod doing the same while also giving me a way around opposing electric types. Thunder over other electric moves as normally if he's attacking its early on to deal with Flying types, which normally means I have rain up. Volt Switch for some pivot potential, although I don't use it as often as I maybe should. Second Fake Out in the team in case I want to open with him instead of Ludicolo, as well as being just as disruptive in the mid to late game. Encore is here to nullify certain threats that would otherwise tear me apart, most setup sweepers get shut down by it as well as certain Trick Room abusers like Snorlax. EV's are a little all over the place but for, in my opinion anyway, good reason. His speed has just enough infestment to outspeed Braviary pre-boosts, as well as outspeed it when it has +1 Speed during my Tailwind. The SpA allow it to OHKO Braviary before they Dynamax, or 2HKO during. The rest are to help it stay alive as much as it can against general attacks, to just help it be an overall nuisance. It may be better to just invest into SpA and Speed, but I'm not certain about it.

ditto.gif

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Transform

Ditto is here as a sort of flex pick. There are plenty of setup sweepers in this gen from what I've played so far, and Ditto can take their buffs and use them against them. Choice Scarf allows him to grab an enemy sweeper, and always outspeed them to begin sweeping himself. Another purpose he can serve is to help against trick room, albeit only slightly. My hope is to use him to grab an enemy trick room setter and undo their setup to allow my pokemon to eliminate them, thus denying trick room entirely. Good on paper, really hard to execute from my experience thus far. Other than that he has purely defensive EV's to help him not die if Imposter fails somehow.

Overall I feel this team is actually pretty strong in the newest gen. Rain at least seems like it will be a strong archetype, thanks to pokemon like Barraskewda and the overall slowness of the gen. Now with all that said, this team gets bent right over by Trick Room teams even with all my efforts of countering them. I don't lose every game, but its definitely under a 50% winrate against them. However overall I believe I've managed around a 60% winrate on Showdown, although I'm not sure how to figure that out so that's really just a crude estimate. Any feedback or ideas to improve is GREATLY appreciated! If people know of some ways to get better at playing Rain, or even pokemon in general as well, I'm really interested in getting good at this game.

rain is crazy busted so for the most part you’ll be fine, but something you may want to consider is - none of your pokemon have protect along with not dying sometimes, it can be useful for stalling out dynamax

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Pelipper @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Barraskewda @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Raichu @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Fake Out
- Protect

Mew @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick Room
- Transform
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Your team structure looks pretty solid, I made a few small changes that should help you out against TR.
The first thing I notice is that none of your mons have protect. Protect is literally the most important move in doubles, adding it to your team will allow you to be able to better stall out Trick Room.

Pelipper
  • I recommend getting rid of Damp Rock. Your Max move will be from Barraskewda in most matches which mean you can easily re-set the rain. Also Sash is even more reliable, as it always survives and can switch back in for 5 more turns of rain as opposed to just 3 more from Damp Rock.
  • The set I posted above is the standard set in DOU and gives Pelipper much more offensive presence over the bulky variant.
Barraskewda
  • I disagree with Waterfall over Liquidation but its not really a big deal. I have removed Psychic Fangs and Poison Jab. Psychic and Poison are not required coverage in DOU. However ghost types are more prevalent in Gen8, I added Crunch as a Ghost check which improves your Dragapult match up.
  • As mentioned above, this will be your most common Max attacker and will be able to re-set rain with Max-Waterfall. I changed the speed EVs so that you outrun max speed Jolteon outside of rain, there is no need for additional speed and get to dump 48 EVs into HP.
Ferrothorn
  • Ferrothorn is an incredible tank with Left Overs and Leech Seed. So I replaced Choice Band and 4 attacks to the standard DOU set. You can use Leech Seed and Protect to stall out close games, being locked into 1 move with Choice Band is not the role for Ferrothorn on this team.
  • It is also the only mon on your team which does not mind being it Trick Room. I gave it 0 speed IVs so it is as slow as possible in Trick Room.
Ludicolo
  • No major changes. I do suggest with Muddy Water over Hydro Pump, its slightly more accurate and gives you a spread move which your team is lacking.
  • You have good Speed Control on this team and I feel that moving some of Ludicolos Speed into HP is wise. Having him stick around longer can be important for switching in and using Fake Out to stop your opponent's momentum. With 212 Speed it out runs Dragapult in the Rain or in Tailwind.
Raichu
  • Also not much change here. Sense you are running Focus Sash, go all out with Speed and SpA. Added Protect over Encore.
Ditto --> Mew
  • When you use Transform all stats are copied except HP, so Ditto keeps its base 48 HP and Mew keeps its Base 100 HP. Thats a huge difference and is why Mew is always used over Ditto. Also Mew can improve your Trick Room match-up by reversing Trick Room itself.
  • I added Fire Blast. With a Rain Team its really important to have counters to opposing Ferrothorn. Fireblast will help there

Last edited:
Pelipper @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Barraskewda @ Life Orb
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Protect

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
EVs: 112 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Fake Out

Raichu @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Fake Out
- Protect

Mew @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick Room
- Transform
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Your team structure looks pretty solid, I made a few small changes that should help you out against TR.
The first thing I notice is that none of your mons have protect. Protect is literally the most important move in doubles, adding it to your team will allow you to be able to better stall out Trick Room.

Pelipper
  • I recommend getting rid of Damp Rock. Your Max move will be from Barraskewda in most matches which mean you can easily re-set the rain. Also Sash is even more reliable, as it always survives and can switch back in for 5 more turns of rain as opposed to just 3 more from Damp Rock.
  • The set I posted above is the standard set in DOU and gives Pelipper much more offensive presence over the bulky variant.
Barraskewda
  • I disagree with Waterfall over Liquidation but its not really a big deal. I have removed Psychic Fangs and Poison Jab. Psychic and Poison are not required coverage in DOU. However ghost types are more prevalent in Gen8, I added Crunch as a Ghost check which improves your Dragapult match up.
  • As mentioned above, this will be your most common Max attacker and will be able to re-set rain with Max-Waterfall. I changed the speed EVs so that you outrun max speed Jolteon outside of rain, there is no need for additional speed and get to dump 48 EVs into HP.
Ferrothorn
  • Ferrothorn is an incredible tank with Left Overs and Leech Seed. So I replaced Choice Band and 4 attacks to the standard DOU set. You can use Leech Seed and Protect to stall out close games, being locked into 1 move with Choice Band is not the role for Ferrothorn on this team.
  • It is also the only mon on your team which does not mind being it Trick Room. I gave it 0 speed IVs so it is as slow as possible in Trick Room.
Ludicolo
  • No major changes. I do suggest with Muddy Water over Hydro Pump, its slightly more accurate and gives you a spread move which your team is lacking.
  • You have good Speed Control on this team and I feel that moving some of Ludicolos Speed into HP is wise. Having him stick around longer can be important for switching in and using Fake Out to stop your opponent's momentum. With 212 Speed it out runs Dragapult in the Rain or in Tailwind.
Raichu
  • Also not much change here. Sense you are running Focus Sash, go all out with Speed and SpA. Added Protect over Encore.
Ditto --> Mew
  • When you use Transform all stats are copied except HP, so Ditto keeps its base 48 HP and Mew keeps its Base 100 HP. Thats a huge difference and is why Mew is always used over Ditto. Also Mew can improve your Trick Room match-up by reversing Trick Room itself.
  • I added Fire Blast. With a Rain Team its really important to have counters to opposing Ferrothorn. Fireblast will help there
These look like really good changes, def gonna try these out. There are two issues, as the goal is to use this team in game and online having two of the same item is something I've been trying to avoid (I know in OU you can do that but in Battle Stadium and stuff like that you can't) and also I don't have access to a mew, as well as him not being allowed in game matchmaking (although I agree mew is a great fit here). Looking back I should have probably marked this as a Battle Stadium team to better show my intent, again I'm new to this lol. With all that said, since I posted this I made a big change of my own in dropping Raichu for a Rotom-W. I've had a bit better success with it, curious what other people think.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Its a simple aggressive rotom set, but it does what I've wanted raichu to do while freeing up Focus Sash for Pelipper to use it. One big goal of having an electric type was to get rid of Braviary leads as he tends to make things difficult for me, 212 speed EVs and max special attack allow Rotom to do that, with a little added bulk. Sitrus berry also helps him stick around longer. Hydro pump hits incredibly hard in rain, as does thunder (again, takes care of braviary and other flying types), Volt Switch allows me to pivot and protect allows for outplays and even more survivability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)