RarelyUsed CCAT - SS Omastar - Revision

Ebelt Rotom-C
Double Spiker Scolipede

Why I picked these:

Rotom: Rotom handles both Electric and Grass-types so Omastar can sweep easily, and Rotom baits Fire moves so Omastar can switch in and set up.
Double Spiker Scolipede: Some of Omastar's counters, namely the aforementioned Slowking and Lanturn, as well as Amoonguss, all hate Spikes, making them much easier for Omastar (or another teammate) to handle. Scolipede also scares Slowking out with the fear of STAB Megahorn, and it serves as fire bait for Omastar.

For the record if I had a third vote it would go to Special Tangrowth, but it didn't get selected because I don't like both members of an offensive core being slow outside of TR.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Choice Band Escavalier
EBelt Rotom-C

Already explained why I liked these when I submitted my entry.

Winner so far is Choice Band Escavalier with 18 votes by @Cherub Agent

The set, here:

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Trait: Swarm
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Sleep Talk
Round 3 Submissions begin.

Rules / Reminders:

• Submissions end 3-4 days from now.
  • There are no more slashes on Pokemon sets. Different slashes can take a team in different directions.
  • You will be unable to change the submission in anyway after the deadline until the revision rounds. So if there are any suggested changes are you set (moves, EV's, etc.) do it before the submission deadline!
  • Refer back to the OP for the main rules, format, and reminders.
  • When you submit your set, think about how it contributes to the function of the team. Also think about what direction you beleive the team should go, and reflect that in the submitted set.
  • Don't just let submissions be the only contribution to this round.
Check the rest of the team in the OP.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Manectric @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Switcheroo

Manectric is a good partner to this core in my opinion. This team will need a revenge killer at some point and everything gives good defensive synergy for Manectric. Omastar can lure electric attacks for Lightningrod, he mitigates the core's weakness to Moltres and can lock Tangrowth into Leaf Storm to get Escavalier in safely to hurt something. I don't have much else to say to be honest; this is very standard.

Edit: Starting a petition to rename this CACAT -- Cherub Agent Creates A Team.

better don't let to Cherub making their own team posting some great sets for the current ccat ;)

I'll post my set after for this round ~

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so right now this team lacks hazards, a Slowking switch in, and a switch in to certain fighting and ground types. I think I know a mon that can not only provide us with this, but also provide Omastar with a second chance to set up.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish

Standard rocks support Mesprit with Healing wish over U-turn works really well as a supportive member of this team, being able to beat Qwilfish 1v1, beat Slowking 1v1, and provide rocks. Psyshock was chosen over psychic to dent the special walls that could give Omastar trouble, while thunderbolt is there to deal with bulky water types. I decided to use Healing Wish over U-turn allowing Omastar two chances for set up, this also allows us to put another set up sweeper on the team that could benefit from this, like Gallade or something.

I vote to rename this CACAT (Cherub Agent Creates A Team :p).

Edit: And Mesprit can pretend to be a snail if you are into that ;)

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I agree that we need more of a bulky SR user, I don't think Mesprit is the best choice in terms of synergy with our team. It struggles against Steel-types (like Escavalier) and it is serious Pursuit bait without U-turn imo. With the bulky offense turn of this team with the addition of Escavalier, I'm not a huge fan of Scarf Manectric either as I feel it's better suited for more of heavy offense teams. Anyways, on to my submission.

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Golurk provides some p. cool synergy for our current team. It's immune to both Electric- and Fighting-type moves while Escavalier 4x resists Grass-type moves while also possessing resistances to Dark-, Ghost-, and random Ice-type moves (Omastar has this resistance as well!) Golurk can even outspeed and beat Lanturn 1v1 while also easily handling Slowking if it tries to switch-in. Golurk also has solid offensive synergy as it handles Lanturn, Ferroseed, and Slowking for Omastar while also being able to beat most Steel-types in the tier for Escavalier. Stealth Rock is that all-important entry hazard that weakens stuff over the course of the match. Shadow Punch is a really cool STAB move as it crushes Slowking and also beats down Uxie. Earthquake is also rather important as it allows Golurk to OHKO Lanturn, a common check to SS Omastar and Golurk has enough Speed EVs to outspeed and KO it before being hit. Finally, Fire Punch is a really cool tool to handle Ferroseed.

ss234

bop.

Rotom-Mow @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 212 Spd / 44 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Rotom-c is a cool choice for the third mon imo simply because everything that almost everything that counters omastar is lured and weakened by this set, so much so that an omastar sweep is ez to get. Cryo, roselia, lanturn, slowking to an extent with hp fire, ferroseed-all counters to omastar that either get lured and killed by rotom-c, bar cryogonal-which gets pursuited and killed by esca. Rotom-c can take grass and ground attacks for omastar while oma resists fire for rotom-c, although that's not nearly as important as the fact that ebelt mowtom weakens all of omastar's counters.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Trait: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 52 SAtk / 116 SDef
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Provides para support and our team so far is a tad on the slow side so this is great and spore is always nice. Lures out Ferroseed and other steels and beats them with HP fire. Also absorbs tspikes which are pretty dangerous. Shiny because manly c:<

(I've actually built a team around Shell Smash Omastar and my two previous nominations, Dragonair and Liepard, with great success. Shroom is also a part of this team and has worked great)

atomicllamas said:
And Mesprit can pretend to be a snail if you are into that ;)
o_O

Last edited:
CACAT ftw

just wanted to point out that moltres is really really threatening to what we have now. Omastar can't set up on the standard HP Grass version (doesn't lose to SubToxic though), and Escavalier is obviously mauled. Perhaps start to consider some teammates that can deal with Moltres at this point? A lot of the sumissions so far are fine, but do sort of overlap with Escavalier imo, which is already supposed to take out stuff that gives Omastar trouble, and only further weaken the team to Life Orb Timid 3 attacks Moltres. Possibly consider stuff like Slowking, Regirock, ~Lanturn~ (although I hate this), or at least things that can now beat Moltres one on one after Stealth Rock damage, like Life Orb Sigilyph, Rotom-N, Thunderbolt Uxie etc.

Also to show you lot what Omastar can do~~
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru-48829614

In general I suggest just looking for Pokemon that can take out Pokemon with strong Grass/Fire coverage and that can switch moves (stuff like HP Fire Lilligant and Expert Belt Rotom-C also fall into this category). Dragon- and Fire-types come to mind as well, as Druddigon can for example take a Hurricane and KO back with Outrage, or Entei/Emboar can revenge kill Moltres after Stealth Rock and handle HP Fire Liligant as well.

EDIT: SOMEONE SUBMIT MAGCARGO; TRIPLE SNAIL FTW AND COUNTERS MOLTRES

Last edited:
CACAT ftw

just wanted to point out that moltres is really really threatening to what we have now. Omastar can't set up on the standard HP Grass version (doesn't lose to SubToxic though), and Escavalier is obviously mauled. Perhaps start to consider some teammates that can deal with Moltres at this point? A lot of the sumissions so far are fine, but do sort of overlap with Escavalier imo, which is already supposed to take out stuff that gives Omastar trouble, and only further weaken the team to Life Orb Timid 3 attacks Moltres. Possibly consider stuff like Slowking, Regirock, ~Lanturn~ (although I hate this), or at least things that can now beat Moltres one on one after Stealth Rock damage, like Life Orb Sigilyph, Rotom-N, Thunderbolt Uxie etc.

Also to show you lot what Omastar can do~~

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru-48716086

In general I suggest just looking for Pokemon that can take out Pokemon with strong Grass/Fire coverage and that can switch moves (stuff like HP Fire Lilligant and Expert Belt Rotom-C also fall into this category). Dragon- and Fire-types come to mind as well, as Druddigon can for example take a Hurricane and KO back with Outrage, or Entei/Emboar can revenge kill Moltres after Stealth Rock and handle HP Fire Liligant as well.
While this should be taken into consideration we are only nominating the Third mon right now. And problems that you see are hard to fix with one mon (which is usually a pretty bad idea)

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Can you renominate a set that you posted earlier? Because i think that my Druddigon would be really nice indeed for this team, as Cherub Agent mentioned (lol just let him build this team im fuckin outta here)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 208 HP / 96 Def / 204 SDef
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Thunderbolt
- Heal Bell

Given Cherubagent's mention of our current team having some Moltres troubles, i think it'll be a pretty good idea to take that into account during the rest of our teambuilding (you know trying not to add too many Moltres weak mons later on etc). Anyways, speaking of Moltres, there really isn't any Moltres check thats better than good old anglerfish (except maybe Regirock), which, along with a few other factors, makes me think that Lanturn could fit this team quite well as a pivot and glue, holding the team together and checking many Pokemon. As mentioned before, Lanturn can take on Moltres quite easily, even avoiding the 2HKO from LO HP Grass after Stealth Rock with the current EV Spread iirc, and posing a threat in return with a combination of Thunderbolt, Scald, and Volt Switch. Of course, Lanturn's lack of recovery means that it can only do this for so long, but it really only needs to take on Moltres until Omastar (or a future teammate) can get a clear opportunity to set up in this case, so i don't think this should be a big issue. Outside of Moltres, Lanturn provides a good check to other Fire-types such as Magmortar as well as a secondary check to Entei and Emboar, and importantly absorbs many of the Electric-type moves that plague Omastar and Escavalier at the moment. This is especially important as many of the Pokemon that can revenge kill a +2 Omastar and simply Volt Switch out of/overheat Escavalier, such as Scarf Rotom-N and Manectric, can't immediately get past Lanturn and even help it recover in some circumstances, making them significantly less threatening. Lanturn might have major trouble with Grass-type Pokemon such as Lilligant and Sceptile, but Escavalier beats them rather reliably bar random Hidden Power Fires, which could be covered later on in teambuilding, making this less of a problem. A slow Volt Switch is really nice to have as well, giving Omastar and Escavalier chances to get in for free as Lanturn either forces a switch or takes the hit for them. Something especially cool the team could pull off with Lanturn's Volt Switch is forcing a switch, luring in a Grass-type such as Sceptile, using Volt Switch, and Pursuit trapping with Escavalier, removing one big threat to both Omastar and Lanturn quite easily with little drawback.

Camerupt (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Lava Plume

Thought it is NU i think Camerupt is viable in this tier as well as it can check Moltres, Magmortar and Electric types beautifully.
Over Lanturn it has access to Stealt Rocks and, a more reliable (ugh) burning move and is cooler.
Over Earth Power Hidden Power rock to destroy Moltres while retaining the ability of OHKOing Ferroseed (and do heavy damage to Regice who walls Omastar lol) which is important to open the way to Omastar to sweep.

(sorry for grammar errors but i'm Italian and...)

Choice Scarf Manectric
Support Mesprit
Support Golurk
Expert belt Rotom-C
SpD Amoonguss
Pivot Lanturn
Support Camerupt

Everyone gets 2 votes. You must use all of your votes. Your votes must be on separate submissions and any order. You can vote your own set.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Jeeeez I am stuck here... I don't want to be cheap and vote for my own set but Atomicllamas' Mesprit is simply not good enough for this team IMO with that set... fuck it: Pivot Lanturn
Support Mesprit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)