Rainshaft's Random Reflections (Art Thread)

Rainshaft

The fate of the story lies in your hands
is a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Hello everyone! Today I feel inspired to make an art thread, so time to get it down while I can XD

I make my art with the free tools that are Paint 3D on Windows 10 and Sketchpad (sketch.io). For 2D Sketchpad drawings, first I draw out what I'm envisioning on paper (no colors). Then I take a picture of it and use it as a background for the actual digital drawing. I draw curious shapes with the path function to cover all the lines I drew, and then color in all the shapes. So essentially all my drawings are just shapes and lines layered all over each other (which is kinda cool XD)

I use Paint 3D occasionally for 3D models (especially dice), but otherwise I don't use it as often as Sketchpad because it's hard to make people in it.
And sometimes I make use of the default Microsoft GIF effects for GIFs and the like.

The following are in no particular order:

miku mask.png
sunglasses.png
myphoto.png
Drawing-7.sketchpad.png

This large piece that I have titled as "The Room" or something of that sort in my computer. Nice large Sketchpad project.
the room.png

And finally, here's a fine set of GIFs that I made for New Year's for the Survivor room on PS. My largest fully Paint 3D project so far!
Apocalypse
Day
Night

If you want an image preview of the base models of those GIFs here you are (the GIFs look much cooler though)
Do note that the 3D model of Miku isn't rotatable, it only looks normal from the front XD
FINISHED - Day (image).png

Rainshaft

A new Discord profile picture today!
Not really what I was originally envisioning, but then again I don't really know what I was envisioning (XD), and it works out quite nicely nevertheless.
Bonus points if you recognize the blurred image in the picture frame :o
myphoto4.png

Rainshaft

A new lock screen wallpaper for my laptop!
More fun with the free models on Paint 3D :3
Drawing-10.sketchpad.jpeg

I made the background first on Paint 3D:
finalimage.png

And then did the Sketchpad drawing to position on it:
Drawing-11.sketchpad.png

It's a really nice aesthetic to open my computer to :D
I want to try doing another one for my home screen sometime...

Rainshaft

Home screen here!

Once again here is the background
bus without model 3.png

And here is the person to sit in it!
Drawing-12.sketchpad (1).png

I kinda want to try making different versions of this at different times of the day so I can have a looping homescreen, but I think it might be difficult to shade the drawing the same as the rest of the background. If I try, though, I'll report on the results :P

Attachments

Rainshaft

And here's my nighttime screen!

I managed to get the drawing to blend in with the shading of the nighttime filter by overlaying it with a bunch of hand-drawn purple layers at like 30% opacity (one for the body and two separate ones for the hair, to prevent the filter from discoloring the gaps in the body). It actually works out pretty well!

I've also found a nice plugin of sorts to get my background to change with the sunrise and sunset, so I'm excited for that! I just downloaded it today though, so I haven't seen the change happen yet XD

Next stop: my phone background :blobthumbsup:

Attachments

Rainshaft

This is a bit late, but here is the phone background!
phoneBackground.png

Pretty simple stuff this time, I got the chance to use some of the low-poly models that are so prevalent in the Paint 3D model library :P

Next stop would be my email background, but I've kinda run out of steam here at the moment.
Perhaps in a month or so (or even sooner), I'll get it back :3

Rainshaft

I tried some full body drawings for songs I like!
Drawing-17.sketchpad (1).png

Drawing-18.sketchpad.png

Drawing-19.sketchpad.png

The songs in question are listed at the bottom of each piece and the (translated) lyrics are placed to the side.
They make pretty good cards, I think :P

Fun fact: the last one was the hardest to color because of the unique effect of the original illustration, so I had to make all the outlines transparent except for the skin and then color each in manually. It was hard to figure out, but kinda cool by the end :P

Rainshaft

I have discovered the unique excitement of being able to draw by hand in iPad Notes with one of those Apple Pencil thingys :P
F8782554-285D-4788-BF5C-EA5D4EA34B5F.jpeg

This is what my actual drawings/doodles tend to look like on paper, which is cool :P
Too bad I don't actually own this iPad, but it's fun while it lasts. Maybe I will have more time to draw in the coming weeks?

Rainshaft

I tried my hand at drawing the subject of this website :O

This is my team of more "common" mons - it's not very well balanced but I think the psychic/ghost/dark trio suits me well. Xerneas would be the last member of the party except they are twice as tall as me so it would be hard to squeeze them in proportionally XD

(also figured out my abilities -- future Survivor lore?)

View attachment Pokemon.jpeg

Last edited:

Rainshaft

New avatar for the start of summer! (aka "it's too hot to be wearing a turtleneck shawl thingy lol")

This one is kinda a throwback to one of my oldest avatars (with the yellow background in the first post.) I still use that as my avatar in a bunch of places!

Drawing-15.sketchpad.png

Rainshaft

So I downloaded Inkscape and wow is it cool. Mesh gradients and blur are awesome!
Put my (rather nonexistent) shading technique to the test with this seasonal avatar change :D

Rainshaft

Forgot to post my annual wallpaper but here it is! Once again there is a day and night version.

My first go at combining Inkscape with a Paint 3D background - I discovered that Inkscape lags really really badly with all the Gaussian blur effects (which is what I used to make everything glow) but it was worth it in the end.
Trying to shade a full body with mesh gradients was also fun :P

2023 wallpaper day.png

2023 wallpaper night.png

Rainshaft

Rather late post, but here is my 2024 wallpaper! If you look closely, you can see some throwbacks to my July 2021 wallpaper.
Though the gray suit is still the character's main outfit, I wanted to try out some new clothing designs :3

2024 wallpaper day.png

2024 wallpaper night.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)