SS RU Raikou + CB Metagross BO (peaked 1596 ELO, #7 on ladder)

Artwork courtesy of Kolohe
unknown-3.png

I have wanted to do a RMT for quite awhile, but, until recently, hadn't made anything that performed with enough consistency to merit one. I've been playing RU for about a year now, and am just now starting to come into my own as a builder. I largely have TheFranklin and Feliburn to thank for that; I'm still not as good as I'd like to be, but without their help, I would almost certainly still be mucking about in the midladder.

Anyways, I wanted to share this team because it has been very consistent on a ladder that is notorious for its diversity of archetypes and individual threats. RU is quite a fun tier in spite of (because of?) that, and if you haven't played RU before, I hope that this team can serve as an entry point for you. If you are familiar with the meta, then you know just how good All the Electric-type pivots are. They are very good at making progress in a tier where Ground-types are generally bad at switching into them, a trend which was the impetus for this team. Without further ado, I present to you this very ugly six:

:ss/raikou: :ss/metagross: :ss/weezing-galar: :ss/snorlax: :ss/seismitoad: :ss/crobat:

Teambuilding Process
:ss/raikou:
:ss/escavalier:

Raikou @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Extrasensory
This was actually supposed to be a Raikou-Escavalier team, with the idea being that Raikou could 1) help mitigate the Togekiss weakness that arises when your Steel-type is not a Flying resist, and 2) pivot into Escavalier and afford it the opportunity to make progress by threatening out the Grass-types that like to midground Raikou's Volt Switch, as well as specially defensive walls like Umbreon and Assault Vest Reuni. However, all the initial drafts felt too slow to me -- sandbagged by Escavalier's poor base 20 speed stat. I won't go too much into detail on these, but I ended up swapping the Escavalier for another hard-hitting Steel-type: Metagross.

:ss/metagross:

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Trick
Choice Band Metagross threatens Raikou's most common switch-ins in a similar way, and while it doesn't offer the utility of Knock Off, Trick and STAB priority have their own usefulness. Trick is especially nice because it allows me to thwart the setup efforts of defensive sweepers, which I deemed really valuable on a bulky offense team that probably won't have hard defensive answers to threats like CM Reuni, DemonGross, and the less-common DemonRegi.

:ss/metagross:
:ss/weezing-galar:

Weezing-Galar @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Strange Steam
- Defog
- Pain Split
At this point in the teambuilding process, I had two Ground-weak Pokemon, so it seemed like the next logical step was to add a Ground immunity, especially when part of the offensive core is an Electric-type. Weezing-Galar offered so much value here: it's a Ground-immunity, a Dragon-immunity, a Knock Off absorber, and arguably the best Fighting-resist in the tier. It also does well enough as a Golisopod switch-in, which Metagross appreciates. For that reason, Weezing-Galar was also chosen to be this team's Defogger, because it can prevent Pod from making progress by setting Spikes as Metagross switches out. However, it is threatened by Spikes Roserade, so I opted for Extrasensory on Raikou last because I would not be favored in long games vs. Roserade Spikes balance unless I could pressure it really well.
252 SpA Raikou Extrasensory vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Roserade: 154-182 (59 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Raikou Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Roserade: 154-182 (47.5 - 56.1%) -- 81.6% chance to 2HKO
Lastly, Weezing uses 44 Spe EVs to outpace and pressure opposing Umbreon.

:ss/raikou: :ss/metagross: :ss/weezing-galar: :ss/snorlax:
Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Rest
This team still had a few glaring weaknesses. The lack of a Fire-resist stood out quite a bit at this point, especially because my Weezing constitutes a free switch-in for breakers like Chandelure and Marowak-Alola. While both are relatively uncommon, I wanted to be sound vs. these underrated threats. More notably, though, the three members of the team so far all lose to Nidoqueen. There is no blanket special wall here, so this team desperately needed one. Thick Fat Snorlax is a Fire-resist; a Ghost-resist; a specially defensive wall; and a wincon who can capitalize on Metagross tricking its most common switch-in, Haze Milotic, a Choice Band. It should be noted that it cannot switch in to Marowak-Alola variants carrying Low Kick, so you will have to watch out for that.

:ss/raikou: :ss/metagross: :ss/weezing-galar: :ss/snorlax: :ss/seismitoad:
Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 120 Def / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
With two slots to go, I needed a rocker, some speed control, and a Volt immunity. I also had no Water-resist, and no reliable counterplay to CM Suicune. Seismitoad isn't fast, but it checked all the other boxes so it fit perfectly here. 112+ Atk EVs were chosen because it 3HKOs RestTalk Suicune after you remove its Leftovers, thereby preventing it from Pressure stalling you. 24 Spe EVs were dumped to creep 252 Spe Marowak-Alola, and the rest was dumped into HP and defense. Earthquake is the STAB of choice, but the last slot is flexible. You can either go Knock Off, which offers more utility and is better for Suicune, or Ice Punch, which allows you to threaten Defog Flygon while still hitting Crobat.

:ss/raikou: :ss/metagross: :ss/weezing-galar: :ss/snorlax: :ss/seismitoad: :ss/crobat:
Crobat @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Lastly, I needed some speed control, and I also wanted something to punish stall teams, because I hate stall teams. Nasty Plot Crobat lacks the immediate breaking power of the tier's premier scarfers, but it is also somewhat hard to revenge and it can set up on the hated Roserade, as well as some of the tier's passive walls. It also has the added benefit of breaking down some shared checks for Raikou, like Steelix.

Threats List
:ss/entei: :ss/marowak-alola: :ss/incineroar:
Physical Fire-type breakers can be annoying for this team because there are multiple points of entry for them (e.g. choice-locked Meteor Mash, Weezing's Strange Steam, Raikou's Volt Switch into Lightning Rod Marowak-Alola). Choice Band Entei is particularly annoying because Sacred Fire carries a 50% burn chance and neither Snorlax nor Seismitoad appreciate being statused, especially in the early game.

Incineroar is generally much less threatening than the other two, but variants carrying Toxic can be problematic if they're paired with a Suicune, since you want the toad to be status-free to soak up those Scalds.

These threats are manageable, but you need to position yourself correctly and prioritize getting Stealth Rock up early in the case of the former two.

:ss/xurkitree: :ss/rotom-mow: :ss/toxtricity:
As I mentioned before, this tier's Electric-types are very good at forcing progress because of how ill-equipped our Ground-types are to deal with them. Xurkitree is a really annoying Pokemon in general, but especially so for any team that lacks a Grass-type midground. Snorlax can definitely take a few hits, but being forced to rest early can be very troublesome depending on the matchup.

Rotom-Mow's offensive typing is likewise annoying here; the Volt immunity is weak to its Grass STAB, and all three Grass resists hate being volted on. To make matters worse, Choice sets can potentially cripple your Snorlax with Trick.

Lastly, the rare Specs Toxtricity is quite threatening here. CB Metagross is outpaced by Specs Toxtricity and is easily 2HKOd by Boomburst. Snorlax is also 2HKO'd by Specs Boomburst with Stealth Rock up.

You should prioritize early chip on mons like Xurkitree and Toxtricity, so that you can later exploit their propensity to switch into Crobat. Don't be afraid to trade a mon for them if you need to.

Of these, Banded Entei and Specs Toxtricity are the most annoying things to see in the team preview, but they are not unwinnable matchups so long as you are mindful of positioning and minimize their switch-ins.

Replays (work in progress)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8ru-658609

Importable
:raikou:-:metagross:-:weezing-galar:-:snorlax:-:seismitoad:-:crobat:

As this is my first RMT, I am appreciative of feedback on not just the team, but the post itself. I hope you like the team, and thank you for reading. :blobuwu:

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
hellos my fren btboy, ive come to comment on your team. Firstly congrats on the hard work on the ladder, many of us including myself do not hv the patience for that shit so I commend you. Secondly I hv a few pokemon changes I would like make.

Also I dont really know the rules of this forum... I think I can post this tho I really dont know, regardless its still useful probably. link in images

:ss/raikou::ss/metagross::ss/seismitoad::ss/crobat::ss/incineroar::ss/celebi:

I changed the geezing for the incin and the snorlax for a celebi. Lets discuss the incin first

:incineroar:
Incineroar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Incin provides a more direct answer to Umbreon while still providing defensive utility and pivoting. We notably run without a fire stab, something I don't like doing but paired with celebi and crobat I think is fine as pokemon like Vileplume and heracross can be dealt with. I also really like an offensive knock user as knocking lefties or boots on waters can help CB metagross really pressure teams and shine. The Knockturn combo incin provides is key to the pivoting game i had in mind with the original core, something i think was strayed away from in the final build. 240 speed is for outspeeding pangoro since without geezing, switching into it can be difficult. Incin also is crucial for the Reuniclus mu which i feel the passive geezing and lax core could struggle with and i think this in conjunction with CB meta will leave no issues with reun. I have 252hp so it still retains its bulk tho this can change and more attack could be run if needed, but i think it is necessary there is a good chunk of bulk. abusing intimidate is very big on the more aggressive build i set up.

:celebi:
Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power / Aura Sphere
- Psychic
- Recover

I added to improve electric mu and tank special attacks since without lax this can be difficult, which is why it has quite a bit of bulk. Even though I don't have max speed, it still offers more speed to the team as it outspeeds important base 90's such as lucario and mowtom (kek). I removed crobat's stallbreaking ability since we lost fog on geezing so this is also running nasty plot to break. I mainly used Earth Power for keys tho aura is fine, helps vs umb if incin doesn't do it for you. celebi also offers a ground resist tho lack of grass move can leave megahorn rhyp a problem.

I also made two other set changes. With Crobat I converted it to the standard defog pivot set, not anyone's favorite but i think it is necessary. I also made Seismitoad more of a true physical wall and gave it ice punch over power whip to help vs birds and flygon. I also gave kou tox

There are some things the original team does well and even better in certain aspects than the changed one. It individually covers the metagame really well meaning there is no pokemon i feel that "6-0's" this which is incredibly difficult in this meta with how diverse it is. It also is very surprising as it is not easy to tell the crobat will be NP and the kou will be pivot and the gross will be CB and the toad will have power whip. I value unpredictability as it heavily alters the opponent's gameplan if a pokemon has a drastically different set than expected. This team also has a lot of good fundamental stuff like having a ground, a steel, speed control, rocker, fogger, etc.. I think any Balance/BO needs these elements and it can be easy to forget one with the diversity and freedom of the meta.

I think these changes make the team more offensively minded and I think it supports the original core better. Geezing is natural passive an exploitable, but lax's bulk was able to stomach hits, but lax relies on rest for recovery so that turns really passive and exploitable too. The NP bat I did want to keep but I felt like it wasn't essential to the team and there were different ways around the fat mu's. Like I alluded to before, I think you lost track of the original Pivot Kou into meta core which led to strange inclusions. I know you found success on the ladder but I really struggled there actually tho I dont think this is the kind of team I would personally use so that might have impacted my testings.

I hope this helped either you or anyone reading interested in ssru. sry for grammars and mid formatting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)